Four seasons of European football

mdingwall

Administrator
2018-19 - 14 games
2019-20 - 18 games
2020-21 - 13 games
2021-22 - 19 games

An utterly remarkable period in terms of both the number of games and the quality of opposition.

Perhaps only 1959 - 1972 can better it.

My highlights - the game at home to Feyenoord was superb - rarely enjoyed a game so much - our movement, tactics and rotation were a joy to behold.

Other highlight - 4-3 defeat in Moscow v Spartak - what a game!

So many highlights, I'm just gutted I wasn't at the Leipzig game having been away on a stag doo

It's been brilliant, fully established ourselves in Europe once again these last few years.

Season just there was the best of the lot, that second leg at home against Leipzig, Ibrox physically moving under what was being generated inside.

Iconic. Truly one of the best atmospheres in world football.

Looking forward to next season, challenging more domestically and continuing to be a force in Europe.

The best part for me has been our style of play throughout. I've never seen a Rangers team go at teams in Europe the way we have over the past few years. It's been a total joy to watch. There's no inferiority complex from us, we know we're good enough to beat them no matter how big a name they are.

The Leipzig game was just incredible. I forced my Dad to go as he's 78 this year, and doesn't walk as well as he used to. He normally sits with his older brother, believe it or not, and both of them had decided to give midweek games up.

However, after a chat with my old man it was decided that I'd take him and upgrade my Uncle's ticket so we could sit together. We parked as close to the ground as we could and walked along Shieldhall Rd to the Louden. Not a massive distance, but enough for my Dad. Nowhere to sit in the Louden, but we were loving the pre-match buzz so stuck it out for a few rounds. Walk back to the ground for a seat and a rest before the madness!

As the place was rocking, it meant that everyone was standing, and the auld yin's legs are suffering going into the second half. At least, until big John rammed the ball home! So glad to have been able to share that moment with him, even though I dare say we might not have anything like it again together.

The walk back to the car was a stage too far, and we hobbled and limped as best we could. Made my night when he said it was worth the pain for the best night he's ever had at Ibrox, and he's been going for 65 years!

Talk about priceless.

An utterly stupid own goal and a ridiculous offside decision, we were absolutely robbed.
The refs have generally been better than SPL refs but weve been on the end of some absolutely stinking decisions. Rapids goal at Ibrox was yards offside, Morelos goal v Spartak was yards onside and cost us the game, as clear a penalty and red card as youll ever see away to Young Boys not given when were 1-0 up then end up losing, im still not sure what Candeias 2nd yellow was for against Villarreal.

Just for context, we've played 64 games in those 4 seasons.

Celtic have played 68 in the 10 years since we had to drop down to division 3.

And they haven't won a post Xmas tie in that time.

It's remarkable where we've came from til now.
They played more than that, but got gubbed every season.
Did a wee bit of analysis on how long it took Celtic to play 64 euro matches from 1966- 12 years! Shows how more demanding European football is now for teams from Scotland

We've been spoiled with our European consistency these past few years. It's been an absolute joy to watch at times. To think of the squads we've had in the past who never reached anywhere near these levels in Europe.

I just hope it continues. I hope we now believe that we are able to compete every year at this level.

Believe we can make the CL groups, maybe even get out the groups and certainly believe we can go on a deep run in the Europa league.

Last minute Alfie vs Warsaw…
Apart from Leipzig and Dortmund , this is the other recent European match that will live with me , I may be in the minority , however I thought the atmosphere was electric that night and Legia supporters played their part , it was bedlam when Alfie scored with header in last minute, I still see the cross coming in and timed to perfection .

3-1 at Ibrox, versus Rapid Vienna with Alfredo scoring on the break via Candeias' backheel will live with me forever.

Watching that game had me hyperventilating and fist-pumping and going absolutely tonto for what seemed like the first time in years (most recent would have been the Warburton Scottish Cup semi versus the filth, but will explain why). Even though we'd progressed through all the qualifying rounds, and drawn away to Villareal no less weeks before, this was the moment I finally knew we were truly back where we belonged and bigger things were not far away.

The Leipzig game was just incredible. I forced my Dad to go as he's 78 this year, and doesn't walk as well as he used to. He normally sits with his older brother, believe it or not, and both of them had decided to give midweek games up.

However, after a chat with my old man it was decided that I'd take him and upgrade my Uncle's ticket so we could sit together. We parked as close to the ground as we could and walked along Shieldhall Rd to the Louden. Not a massive distance, but enough for my Dad. Nowhere to sit in the Louden, but we were loving the pre-match buzz so stuck it out for a few rounds. Walk back to the ground for a seat and a rest before the madness!

As the place was rocking, it meant that everyone was standing, and the auld yin's legs are suffering going into the second half. At least, until big John rammed the ball home! So glad to have been able to share that moment with him, even though I dare say we might not have anything like it again together.

The walk back to the car was a stage too far, and we hobbled and limped as best we could. Made my night when he said it was worth the pain for the best night he's ever had at Ibrox, and he's been going for 65 years!

Talk about priceless.
Keep those thoughts brother! Would have given everything to have shared that night with the man who took me to Juve 78 at Ibrox and instilled in me everything I believe in. Even though he was there with me against Leipzig I would have loved to see that “Rangers win” smile again.

Some incredible games in the last few years and hopefully plenty more to come

One of the best away supports were rapid vienna ,thought they made some noise and looked like they were going to spill out their corner a few times

Last edited:
It has been superb but we need to build on it. The thought of going back to a side who can't string two passes together in Europe let alone create a chance is depressing.

The manner in which we have done it, scoring goals and playing great football, has been the best thing about it.
Agreed.

We need to win something mate. Being regarded as a crack outfit by our peers in Europe is great but I’m greedy, I want silverware. Sevilla kept coming back for more. Why can’t we?

Under Gerrard from his first Euro game we never once looked like a Scottish team playing Europe.
Untill this season, from malmo to sparta Prague I feared our wee golden period in Europe was over. And we were back to being a Scottish team in Europe.
We reached this final on merit.
17 goals we've scored in the knockout stages thus season.

It has been superb but we need to build on it. The thought of going back to a side who can't string two passes together in Europe let alone create a chance is depressing.

The manner in which we have done it, scoring goals and playing great football, has been the best thing about it.
Bang on…hopefully we can be like Seville

The refs have generally been better than SPL refs but weve been on the end of some absolutely stinking decisions. Rapids goal at Ibrox was yards offside, Morelos goal v Spartak was yards onside and cost us the game, as clear a penalty and red card as youll ever see away to Young Boys not given when were 1-0 up then end up losing, im still not sure what Candeias 2nd yellow was for against Villarreal.
No VAR in those first couple of years certainly didn't help us...

Just for context, we've played 64 games in those 4 seasons.

Celtic have played 68 in the 10 years since we had to drop down to division 3.

And they haven't won a post Xmas tie in that time.

It's remarkable where we've came from til now.
Good chance they’ll catch up a bit with the introduction of the Vauxhall circumference league.
That’s another 3 tournaments they’ll be in next season.

Talk about priceless.
Absolutely brilliant. Great story.

Wasn’t in the country for Dortmund at home, but my favourite game at Ibrox outside of RBL was Braga 2020.

One of my favourite nights ever.

Back