Out of the ordinary and successful scouting examples.

A relative unknown signed for £50,000 who went on to be a mainstay in our first title in a decade and would command at least a seven figure transfer fee if he were to be sold in this window. I don't see your problem.
Yeah

I wonder how our scouts managed to find out about him playing in the same league and playing against him

The thread is about remarkable scouting, not cheap signings who ended up being great players

Morelos is a great example of scouting, young, different country, not a particularly good team and had talent. How the scouts managed to find him and track him is fantastic

Glen Kamara, played in our league, played against us and any fan who saw him knew he was a good player. Scouts weren't even needed!

Do you stand by your statement that Glen Kamara was (and I quote the thread title) out of the ordinary and successful SCOUTING examples?

Last edited:
Sorry bud, I must have missed the rules defining good scouting and players who can or can't be mentioned in a football forum thread. There's posts about Dado Prso who played for Monaco in a Champions League final before he signed for us I wouldn't disagree with either...

Have a good weekend.

Ray Clemenceau & Kevin Keegan - Scunthorpe to Liverpool
Was going to say this. Also picked up Emlyn Hughes from Blackpool and Phil Neal from Northampton.
Seamus Coleman, Sligo Rovers to Everton £60k, 339 appearances, 64 caps.
Jim Forrest straight from Drumchapel Amateurs.

Reactions: krs
Sorry bud, I must have missed the rules defining good scouting and players who can or can't be mentioned in a football forum thread. There's posts about Dado Prso who played for Monaco in a Champions League final before he signed for us I wouldn't disagree with either...

Have a good weekend.
So, to confirm, you think the signing of Glen Kamara was down to 'out of the ordinary' scouting?

And Dado Prso was an amazing scouting coup,... for Monaco when they spotted him playing for 4th level regional division team when he was still working as a car mechanic.

But you think signing a player who played in the CL final was down to good scouting?!

Interesting

So, to confirm, you think the signing of Glen Kamara was down to 'out of the ordinary' scouting?

And Dado Prso was an amazing scouting coup,... for Monaco when they spotted him playing for 4th level regional division team when he was still working as a car mechanic.

But you think signing a player who played in the CL final was down to good scouting?!

Interesting
Tell someone who cares mate, it must be exhausting being such an insufferable pedant.

Reactions: Moz
Pedant... for pointing out the purpose of this thread

Do you think Davies was good scouting when we re-signed him?
Are you still here? I thought I was being singled out, but having read through your recent posts, it would seem that picking petty arguments with random punters on the internet is your thing. Go and bother somebody else, I won't be replying again.

Reactions: Moz
I would definitely class Dado Prso and J-A Boumsong must be up there considering our initial outlays.
Did Prso not play in the champions league final for Monaco before we signed him?
Boumsong was already a French international before he signed.
Big Eck at his best with his French connections through agent Willie McKay

Sone Aluko. Without a club and paid a fee to join us. Amazingly skilful player and scored maybe my favourite goal ever v the scum.

A Rangers squad with Aluko and Jelavic would have been glorious to watch as well. 2012 was a c*nt of a year for us.

The best I can think of is Moreno Torricelli. Played against Juve for Caratese who were an amatuer side at the time. Trapattoni was so impressed they signed him after the friendly. He went on to win:

Serie A x 3
Champions League
UEFA Cup
UEFA Super Cup
Coppa Italia x2
Supercoppa Italiana
Intercontinental Cup

Not bad for an amatuer.

This one seems hard to beat to me.

A mention for Gent and Jonathan David of (now of Lille)

Went straight from playing amateur youth football in Ottawa, Canada (not even the academy or youth team of a professional club) to Gent in Belgium. Made his debut within 6 months and scored 5 goals in his first 5 games (Belgian top division and Europa League)

Sold two years later for 20m.

That's some impressive obscure scouting.

Hansen from Partick to Liverpool?
Was pretty normal in those days and this is a perfect example. Megabucks for overseas players just didn't happen. They brought through their own, or often picked up players from lower leagues. Sticking with Liverpool as an example, Kevin Keegan came from Scunthorpe and Ian Rush from Chester. Wasn't unusual at all at the time.

Was pretty normal in those days and this is a perfect example. Megabucks for overseas players just didn't happen. They brought through their own, or often picked up players from lower leagues. Sticking with Liverpool as an example, Kevin Keegan came from Scunthorpe and Ian Rush from Chester. Wasn't unusual at all at the time.
Did Liverpool not farm (loan out, these days) guys like this initially.
Rush certainly played for Chester.
Liverpool did this with other players, Wayne Harrison is one I remember, but without being too successful.

Good memory, Grigo, but was he not a few years earlier?
Rolls Royce and Lada comparison there mind you!
I knew him when he went back to Ayr, decent chap and a good bear.

I forget the exact timing Tazza. Morris was a left winger & we tried to make him a full back from memory.

Listening to TalkSport on the way home and a big discussion was being had about Jude Bellingham, (what a player and young man by the way) and it got me thinking about his move to Dortmund from Birmingham City.

Was this a brilliant piece of work by a Dortmund scout or is somebody that good at that age on the radar of every club and Dortmund just offer the best all round package? Transfers like that don't happen very often, European giant plucking a young boy from a lower division and it being a massive success.

Would love to know about other examples, 2 that I can think of is Jamie Vardy and our own Bobby Russell.
That initial Liverpool side that finally came to prominence and dominated from the mid 70s onwards was littered with signings from the lower leagues.

That initial Liverpool side that finally came to prominence and dominated from the mid 70s onwards was littered with signings from the lower leagues.
There was a Liverpool FA cup final team in the eighties which didn’t contain an Englishman!
Every one of them was, what we’d now call, a project player.
Okay, maybe one wasn’t, Molby was already good.

Bruce Grobbelaar - Playing for 4th division Crewe on loan from Vancouver Whitecaps, doubt Liverpool would have expected 13 years and 400+ appearances.

Kevin Doyle and Shane Long - both signed from Ireland for pennies, Reading went and set the record points for promotion and sold them for 6.5/6M each.

He was considered a pretty hot prospect when at St. Johnstone. Word at the time was that we had tried to sign him, but he opted for Sunderland instead. And in fact we only got him at the 3rd attempt. It’s hard to imagine Ally turning down Rangers twice, but that was the story from “insiders” at the time. It could be complete nonsense, or dare I say it, bunkum.
John Greig confirmed it on an old Ally McCoist VHS a had am sure.

Would Messi count? I can't imagine there's too many kids being signed at 13 by a club halfway across the world, so they can pump him full of growth hormone to turn him into one of the best players in history?
To be fair both Barcelona and Real Madrid sign youngster from all over the world on a consistent basis. That's their ethos but Messi is a decent 'find' LOL

What's the story there? I seem to remember him signing from Chelsea? That and the 4-4 game him in goals.
That was the 2-2 game we came back from 2 down with 9 men.

Jonatan Johansson must be a good shout.
Signed from FC Flora in Estonia.

There was a Liverpool FA cup final team in the eighties which didn’t contain an Englishman!
Every one of them was, what we’d now call, a project player.
Okay, maybe one wasn’t, Molby was already good.
Narrowing it down, 1986 possibly?

As for Molby, his scouse accent could have qualified him as English anyway.

Narrowing it down, 1986 possibly?

As for Molby, his scouse accent could have qualified him as English anyway.
Dead on, bud.
I googled it earlier to find the correct year.
Their Liverpool team only had ten non-English in it but lists Craig Johnston as English.
I wonder if this would surprise him!
Before I checked, I named the team in my mind but got one wrong.
A Scot!
Without checking, would you be able to name the Scots in the team?
This’ll be easy for plenty on here but it surprised me.

Zlatan to Ajax from the second tier of Swedish football at 17
Had been on the radar of about 20 top European clubs since the age of 10.

Derek Mcinnes ?

Signed from Greenock Morton, played a part in 9 on a row, and also a first team player under Advocaat, playing in some big Champions League matches.

He was 24, played over 200 games and captain of a team playing 20 miles from Ibrox.

Hardly obscure.

Was he not signed purely to up the homegrown players due to the 3 foreigner rule, a rule that was ironically done away with the year after he signed. Don’t think he would have got near our team otherwise. 50 games or so over the 5 seasons he was with us.

I don’t know why we keep referring to Kamara as a £50k signing as if this was all he was worth.
The fee was down to circumstances, not super scouting or anything else.
Scouting includes understanding and identifying circumstances where we may get the best deal though.

Back