Out of the ordinary and successful scouting examples.

Hap Hapablap

Listening to TalkSport on the way home and a big discussion was being had about Jude Bellingham, (what a player and young man by the way) and it got me thinking about his move to Dortmund from Birmingham City.

Was this a brilliant piece of work by a Dortmund scout or is somebody that good at that age on the radar of every club and Dortmund just offer the best all round package? Transfers like that don't happen very often, European giant plucking a young boy from a lower division and it being a massive success.

Would love to know about other examples, 2 that I can think of is Jamie Vardy and our own Bobby Russell.

Listening to TalkSport on the way home and a big discussion was being had about Jude Bellingham, (what a player and young man by the way) and it got me thinking about his move to Dortmund from Birmingham City.

Was this a brilliant piece of work by a Dortmund scout or is somebody that good at that age on the radar of every club and Dortmund just offer the best all round package? Transfers like that don't happen very often, European giant plucking a young boy from a lower division and it being a massive success.

Would love to know about other examples, 2 that I can think of is Jamie Vardy and our own Bobby Russell.
Was going to reply regarding Russell, always wondered who saw him at junior level and thought he'll make it as a pro. What a player he was.

As much as a great find Morelos was I never thought about him as he came from the top league in the country he was playing in.

Was thinking more about players that big clubs plucked from levels below what would be seen as the highest level of competition in that country.

Alfredo Morelos
James Tavernier
Calvin Bassey

if you’re ~18 years old and have good ability, and you have ambitions of playing for Real, Barca, PSG, Liverpool etc the best thing you can do is sign for Dortmund, even if the aforementioned clubs are in for you at that age. Their track record for developing talent and getting them from being a young talent with potential to being able to make an impact at the top level is phenomenal.

If Dortmund are interested at that age, you go there, no matter who else is in for you.

Sancho would be another example, he was an academy player, Bellingham was arguably Birmingham’s top player when he left.

Sancho has been unlucky with England, and Man Utd is a basket case club, but he is a top player.

Think one of our best signings was Carlos Cuellar. There had been no talk about Carlos coming to us from Osasuna but he proved to be a great asset. Memory is unreliable when you get old but I seem to recall that it was John Brown who had scouted Cuellar.
Heard John Brown speaking at Argyle suite at the Braga match and he is back scouting for us

Think one of our best signings was Carlos Cuellar. There had been no talk about Carlos coming to us from Osasuna but he proved to be a great asset. Memory is unreliable when you get old but I seem to recall that it was John Brown who had scouted Cuellar.
Didn’t he play against us the season before he signed? Always assumed he caught someones eye that night

Jamie Vardy - from hatchet-faced non-league nonentity to Wagatha Christie trial witness (okay, he's done well I suppose) :p

Reactions: TQ3
Hilarious that mahrez was on trial at st mirren and had to steal a bike to peddle like furk for the airport and escape the misery.
I heard that. Also that st mirren rejected him and Gus MacPherson preferred Billy Mehmet instead . That sums up Scottish football. Mahrez Wasn't deemed physical enough so was let to go back to the French second division and a big shitey hammer thrower striker preferred instead

Was going to reply regarding Russell, always wondered who saw him at junior level and thought he'll make it as a pro. What a player he was.
Thing that made absolutely no sense at all with Bobby Russell was he went straight from Junior football to be a certain 1st team starter for a glorious Rangers team that won the treble in 1977-1978.
So he went to the very very top in one move.
Fantastic player and extremely under valued.
Also brilliant with Motherwell when he left us

Junior Messias is a brilliant one.

Originally from Brazil, he moved to Italy at the age of 20, then played the next four years in their equivalent of Sunday League football (while working as a delivery driver), it’s not until the age of 24 that he becomes semi-professional in the fifth division of Italian football, then he only becomes fully professional in the second tier at the age of 28.

After one good season in the top flight last year for newly-promoted Crotone, he joined AC Milan on loan this season, where he played (and scored) in the Champions League and won Serie A, at the age of 31.

Genuinely unbelievable, it’s the kind of story that would have sounded ridiculous 30 years ago, never mind today.

Last edited:
Not at the same level as some listed on here.

But Hibs signed Nisbet from lower league Dunfermline for buttons in summer 2020. Was a Scotland international by the end of the season and they could easily have punted him down south for a few million.

Big Jock signed Ian Wilson for Leicester from Elgin after a friendly when Elgin were still a Highland League side. Wilson got 5 caps while at Leicester.

Side note & a good pub trivia question: Gary Linekar only scored one goal in Scotland - that game versus Elgin.

Don’t think that was marvellous scouting.

I’m sure he practically wrote to Dortmund asking for a trial after playing against them in a pre-season game and they said ‘what’ve to lose’ :))

Now, Scott Booth to Dortmund is a bizarre one!
Motherwell played Dortmund in the old UEFA cup mid-ninties. Hitzfeld liked the look of Lambert and picked him up on a Bosman at the end of the season.

I think Booth was signed on the basis he’d be a mate for Lambert who was struggling with the lingo.

Back