Cyprus v Northern Ireland, Wales v Ukraine & other Sunday football

A country where football was a minority sport until the last couple of decades ago have been doing amazing

Scotland ,virtually helped invent the game 150 or so years ago and can't get to a world cup for a quarter of a century and a whole generation not seeing them there

Though I'm sure yet another think tank will sort it out .

:(
That's because the only qualification required for jock managers is to hate Rangers and alienate a vast swathe of fans in this country.

We can't seem to get the grip of being technically gifted players, comfortable on the ball. In the last year we've played Ukraine, Croatia and the Czech republic at hampden, not the very best of europe and been easily despatched.

A fighting draw at Wembley seemed to give people some kind of false dawn. I don't know the answer but a major restructuring of the game here is needed. I watch some of the Ukraine players, who are maybe average,but they're still more comfortable on the ball than any of ours.

Refereeing.

I keep banging on about this. Our refs are absolutely shite. They allow hammer throwing to go unpunished every week, without fail.

Skilful players are bludgeoned out of the game in this shitey league set up and it all starts with skilful players getting ZERO protection by refs.

Wales certainly got the breaks and that mob were unlucky but its quite incredible the Scotland manager will continue in the job, hes a cert to feck the next tourney up even if you want to call it a friendly league or whatever it is he will be too cautious again.

The guys a fraud if he didnt hate Rangers he would be with Partick or Dunfermline or some shite.

These were 2 games Scotland could have won we didnt have the bottle to attack in the first match on our own pitch, same as euros, thats not good enough.

The problem we have is that our manager is looked upon as a good manager because he just about squeezed us into the Euros through a back door qualification despite the fact when we got there we looked like we were only there to make up the numbers.

Steve Clarke epitomises the problem with our national game right now. He’s a defeatist.

I am not Clarke out just yet but I'm losing patience. Regardless, there's no doubting he has the media in his back pocket.

Gordon Duncan on Clyde seems to almost take personal offence whenever the manager's position is questioned.

Listening to the commentators about the great Bale goal----it was a f*****g own goal.As for Ramsey I hate the b*****D even more for the way he used us.
He was allowed to by our great Chief Ross Wilson.
Who in mind has a very big summer ahead of him.

He sure as hell in mind, hasn't delivered players wise.
Yet!
Percentage rate of successes is pretty low.
To dire.

Just a matter of when with Baraclough and NI now, can’t be any fans left backing him after somehow managing a less inspiring performance than Thursday.

Refereeing.

I keep banging on about this. Our refs are absolutely shite. They allow hammer throwing to go unpunished every week, without fail.

Skilful players are bludgeoned out of the game in this shitey league set up and it all starts with skilful players getting ZERO protection by refs.
Not true at all which tim player with skill isnt protected, easy to blame refs no one ever tells us which ref is shite cos none of them are.

Its too easy to blame refs for the problems the national team have i would focus more on having the worst manager in international football.

I'll be honest with you mate and I'm not saying this as some anti Scotland team rant.

Scotland have been rank rotten the whole of the 21st century and for me they're not getting any better. People have been kidding themselves on, that there's improvement, I don't see it.

We can't seem to get the grip of being technically gifted players, comfortable on the ball. In the last year we've played Ukraine, Croatia and the Czech republic at hampden, not the very best of europe and been easily despatched.

A fighting draw at Wembley seemed to give people some kind of false dawn. I don't know the answer but a major restructuring of the game here is needed. I watch some of the Ukraine players, who are maybe average,but they're still more comfortable on the ball than any of ours.

We have a number of players in the EPL, so there is basic ability. @SDF summed up it, Scottish football has strain of inferiority running through it. The response to the Euros, for example, was an embarrassment - 'oh, just glad to be here'.

There's no chance Wales with two Euro games at Cardiff would have gone in with that attitude.

Clarke personifies all that is wrong. A dour, snide individual with little experience of needing to win a game. Unfortunately things will never change when the likes of Petrie are at the head of the sport.

It's one of the reasons we've been so refreshing under Gerrard and now Gio. A little belief and tactical nous and you can compete in the latter stages of European competition.

Just a matter of when with Baraclough and NI now, can’t be any fans left backing him after somehow managing a less inspiring performance than Thursday.

No idea why we gave him a new deal, he did nothing to warrant it.

Terrible results and even worse football. A borefest.

All this ranting and raving about Ramseys appearance time for Wales appears to omit the facts that he was pretty ineffective today and that Wales can accept that in lieu of not having better players that can contribute more.

Juventus and Rangers not only demand more but can replace him with a similar standard.

It’s a bit like arguing that one of our loan players gets more time for St Mirren than he did for us so we must not be using him properly.
match fitness makes all the difference and he's not had that recently

Based on what exactly?

Ukraine absolutely battered us on Wednesday and they couldn’t beat Wales today. They would have beat us comfortably today had we somehow managed to beat Ukraine.
We can and have played better than we did on Wed. That’s why I said Wednesday was even more frustrating now. Everyone playing to their full capabilities and we would have won on Wed night.

All this ranting and raving about Ramseys appearance time for Wales appears to omit the facts that he was pretty ineffective today and that Wales can accept that in lieu of not having better players that can contribute more.

Juventus and Rangers not only demand more but can replace him with a similar standard.

It’s a bit like arguing that one of our loan players gets more time for St Mirren than he did for us so we must not be using him properly.
The only sensible post about Ramsay in this thread.
If I was Welsh id have been screaming for him to be hooked after50 mins.
England will murder these in their WC group.

I was surprised he stayed on - if they had a decent replacement he'd have been subbed.

That's because the only qualification required for jock managers is to hate Rangers and alienate a vast swathe of fans in this country.
No doubt the current manager is a torn faced Rangers hater but it's deeper than that ,we haven't progressed as a footballing nation in decades

Ffs
Iceland ,population of roughly Edinburgh would beat us

Last edited:
We could have beaten that Wales team. Makes Wed night even more frustrating.
Don't know about that.
Seriously when you look at Wales they have some superstars,
Well one at least.
And some decent talent.
Who are playing at a mucher higher level.

What do we have?
Gilmour.
And he had the season from hell last season.
And as far the others.

Robertson, McGregor, McGinn, Tierney, (who can't even last 1/2 a season) McTominay, Hanley, Lee Cooper, O'Donnell, Christie, Armstrong, and 40 + year old keeper... etc...

Plus a coach who it seems has learn't nothing from the Euros.

I'm afraid, I don't share you optimism.

We could have beaten that Wales team. Makes Wed night even more frustrating.

I thought you were an American ?

giphy.gif

Bale is even worse for it.

Both of them will spend the next few months at whatever clubs they end up at just making sure they don't get injured.
World Cup coming up soon so Ramsey will need to find a club that will allow him to prepare for it.

I was surprised he stayed on - if they had a decent replacement he'd have been subbed.
He looked half a yard short and was blowing out his arse with 10 to go.

Nothing against the lad, he just did what was asked of him at Rangers.

Personally I think Gio should have played him more early on in his time with us. He showed glimpses of class but never had the real chance to get into his stride. I don’t buy all this ‘he was injured’ stuff. More there than meets the eye .

Wales defended a lot better than Scotland did on Wednesday, they are not great team Wales.
I would rather have seen Ukraine reach Qatar

Back