St Johnstone fans not happy their keeper has signed a new deal

Alan McGregor was at the forefront in taking us to seville. He deserves another year and deserves respect. We should be looking to bring in a strong keeper if possible. If not I trust Jon and Alan.
Alan does deserve respect. He also should call it a day. He was a pale imitation of what he was last season.Another year older can only mean diminished ability. The mistakes of last season largely and rightly got a pass by the support for who he is and what he's done over years for club.
That acceptance and leniency won't be there for him next season if similar mistakes in multiple games happen.
Time catches them all .

This has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I’ve read on here ever.

If you had read any of the other threads about McGregor during the season you would have read a great deal of criticism regarding him from many other posters. His absolute blunders cost us very dearly during the season that's just ended.

Sorry to say it but the last time Allan Macgregor played at the piggery the tims cheered when his name was called out .....what do you think that tells you....?

“Terrified” “Worried” “Trophy cabinets bare”

Get a grip of yourself ffs. Snivelling wreck
If you want to put on your goalie gloves and wank yourself red raw whilst whispering "shagger" over and over to yourself, feel free. The rest of us will stay in the real world of knowing that McGregor is done and sticking with him would be suicide.

We lost the league title because McGregor was in goal. We got gubbed by Hibs in the League Cup because he was in goal. We won the Scottish Cup because he was only in goal for the last two minutes of the final. McGregor has had his day and should retire.
Utter drivel

I know you're having a laugh, but I'm terrified this is going to happen the more time passes. If we have McGregor between the sticks next season the trophy cabinet will be empty this time next year.

I'm not overly keen on McGregor getting another year, but if he does, he'll be back up to McLaughlin and probably still the best number 2 keeper in our league.

No need to be terrified.

I'm not overly keen on McGregor getting another year, but if he does, he'll be back up to McLaughlin and probably still the best number 2 keeper in our league.

No need to be terrified.

You should have added, "unless McLaughlin was to get injured"! McGregor was done at the end of the previous season and he should have chucked it at that point. A goalie who cannot deal with simple cross balls coming into the six yard box should not be playing for Rangers. He should have been dropped by Gerrard after the first Hearts game at Ibrox. Had he been dropped we would have won the league. Supporters on here who are prepared to continue to back him through blind loyalty are not facing up to the reality of the situation.

This thing about blaming McGregor for a whole team’s collective errors has to stop cos it’s ridiculous.

McGregor over the years has saved us far more games than he’s failed us in.

Have any other players made mistakes? Yes. Some have made many and some of those have cost us points and games.

Get over it.
I don‘t get it either.

Goldson made more but there is delirium on here when he signed.

You should have added, "unless McLaughlin was to get injured"! McGregor was done at the end of the previous season and he should have chucked it at that point. A goalie who cannot deal with simple cross balls coming into the six yard box should not be playing for Rangers. He should have been dropped by Gerrard after the first Hearts game at Ibrox. Had he been dropped we would have won the league. Supporters on here who are prepared to continue to back him through blind loyalty are not facing up to the reality of the situation.

Ideally I would prefer a new keeper to compete with McLaughlin and McGregor to retire, but hypothetically, say Hart got injured?
Then they are stuck with Bain as their number 1.

That's a far worse scenario than McLaughlin getting injured and McGregor starting for us.

The same would apply with Gordon at Hearts getting injured, Lewis at Aberdeen, Kelly at Motherwell etc etc.

McGregor would still be the best back up keeper in the league.

This thing about blaming McGregor for a whole team’s collective errors has to stop cos it’s ridiculous.

Have any other players made mistakes? Yes. Some have made many and some of those have cost us points and games.

Get over it.
He cost us a load of points with horrendous individual howlers. If looking back on the number of times he’s saved us in previous seasons helps people feel better about losing the league to the fat Aussie then fair enough, it doesn’t work for me though.

We lost the league title because McGregor was in goal. We got gubbed by Hibs in the League Cup because he was in goal. We won the Scottish Cup because he was only in goal for the last two minutes of the final. McGregor has had his day and should retire.
We got gubbed by Hibs because Tav, Goldson and Balogun defended like a trio of amateurs. They made two bang average Hibs attackers look like world beaters.

I don‘t get it either.

Goldson made more but there is delirium on here when he signed.
Exactly.

Which players have been known for making mistakes in the past few years?

Tav, Goldson and Barisic, and newcomers from last season McGregor and Bassey.

McGregor making his when the whole team was playing shite and not scoring while creating hundreds of chances.

But naw McGregor cost us the league.

Exactly.

Which players have been known for making mistakes in the past few years?

Tav, Goldson and Barisic, and newcomers from last season McGregor and Bassey.

McGregor making his when the whole team was playing shite and not scoring while creating hundreds of chances.

But naw McGregor cost us the league.
A goalkeepers mistakes will always be highlighted.

Others mistakes are often negated hen a team mate(which includes McGregor) digs them out.

McGregor is a great character and a brilliant shot stopper, but his refusal to come off his line for crosses and corners makes things nerve wracking at times

We got gubbed by Hibs because Tav, Goldson and Balogun defended like a trio of amateurs. They made two bang average Hibs attackers look like world beaters.

And McGregor couldn't deal with a straightforward cross ball. The same as he couldn't against St Mirren at Paisley in the League Cup ofbthe previous season and St Johnstone in thecScottish Cup at Ibrox.

Ideally I would prefer a new keeper to compete with McLaughlin and McGregor to retire, but hypothetically, say Hart got injured?
Then they are stuck with Bain as their number 1.

That's a far worse scenario than McLaughlin getting injured and McGregor starting for us.

The same would apply with Gordon at Hearts getting injured, Lewis at Aberdeen, Kelly at Motherwell etc etc.

McGregor would still be the best back up keeper in the league.

Sorry, but there were three games last season (Hearts, Ross County and Motherwell) where he lost goals that an average Junior keeper would have stopped. I could not care less who other clubs have as their second choice keepers. I want us to have two competent keepers who can deal with cross balls. McGregor can't and that is not good enough for a club of our stature.

Alan does deserve respect. He also should call it a day. He was a pale imitation of what he was last season.Another year older can only mean diminished ability. The mistakes of last season largely and rightly got a pass by the support for who he is and what he's done over years for club.
That acceptance and leniency won't be there for him next season if similar mistakes in multiple games happen.
Time catches them all .
Fair point. I still believe he would be great to keep in and around the dressing room and not a bad backup should he be needed. His heroics in Europe seem to be over looked by school boy errors at County.

Fair point. I still believe he would be great to keep in and around the dressing room and not a bad backup should he be needed. His heroics in Europe seem to be over looked by school boy errors at County.
If only it was just Ross County. Man is a Rangers legend and in the discussion with Goram for being best Rangers keeper. As someone that grew up watching Andy that is about as high a praise as you can give. But it's time for him to say goodbye. Wouldn't like to see him tarnish his reputation with the fans and things to turn a wee bit sour. As I say he got a pass last season. If similar was to happen this coming season and he is another year older so likelihood of improvement is small then he would get serious stick.

Get over it.
I'm not in the McGregor witch hunt club but what a player has done over the years should be irrelevant, there is no time for sentiment it's what level he is at now, and how he is performing should be the only defining factor on a new deal or not.

If only it was just Ross County. Man is a Rangers legend and in the discussion with Goram for being best Rangers keeper. As someone that grew up watching Andy that is about as high a praise as you can give. But it's time for him to say goodbye. Wouldn't like to see him tarnish his reputation with the fans and things to turn a wee bit sour. As I say he got a pass last season. If similar was to happen this coming season and he is another year older so likelihood of improvement is small then he would get serious stick.
So you're saying he wouldn't be great to have in and around the dressing room and he should just be let go? The world class saves that he made took us to a European final, why are people disregarding that to focus on his errors?

I'm not in the McGregor witch hunt club but what a player has done over the years should be irrelevant, there is no time for sentiment it's what level he is at now, and how he is performing should be the only defining factor on a new deal or not.
It’s perhaps phrased poorly but it’s not sentiment, it’s just fact that he has been consistently an outstanding keeper.

Im not sure why they dislike him so much but the actual deal itself typifies the club and Scottish Football in a wider sense.

STJ managed to win 2 Cup competitions in what was not only their most successful season but also a very rare achievement for anyone outside of Glasgow.

You would think such success would, in some way - any way, allow them to grow the club on and off the pitch.

As was they successfully sold their best players, signed absolutely nobody of note and almost got relegated.

Zero ambition.
Zero vision.
Scotland.

Get over it.

Won't be a bear in this world who doesn't love McGregor and what he has given us , but he cost us more points than he saved us last season, and ultimately those points lost us the title, so it is fair to be sceptical on him signing a new deal at 40.

I know you're having a laugh, but I'm terrified this is going to happen the more time passes. If we have McGregor between the sticks next season the trophy cabinet will be empty this time next year.
Some allow their disdain to cloud their rationality.
It was McGregor who was “between the sticks” on the road to Seville.
I would be happier if we had a new number one for the coming season.

Won't be a bear in this world who doesn't love McGregor and what he has given us , but he cost us more points than he saved us last season, and ultimately those points lost us the title, so it is fair to be sceptical on him signing a new deal at 40.
Could you accept that it could just as easily be said that it was points in other games where McGregor wasn’t at fault for lost goals and that, ultimately, it was these games that lost us the league?

I agree to an extent but the point is they were more common last season than they have been. Which a lot of people will be blaming down to his age.

It's a hard one tbh I love the guy to bits and there's times he's made saves where I have been gobsmacked they where that good.
There is no extent to agree with.
It’s factual.
If the extra mistakes McGregor made were down to age, what excuse/reason would you have for the extra mistakes Goldson, for example, made compared to the previous season?

The thing is, he will remembered for his excellent Shot Stopping, and we’ll forget his inability in the six yard box on cross balls, which has always been his Achilles Heal!

Could you accept that it could just as easily be said that it was points in other games where McGregor wasn’t at fault for lost goals and that, ultimately, it was these games that lost us the league?

Not really

90+ Minutes vs Hearts
Ross County
Celtic at Home

2 of those games are late goals costing us the points when we don't have time to get them back, completely different from losing a goal on 60 mins and having half an hour to rectify it, he was directly responsible for losing 4 points with utterly shambolic goalkeeping.

Not really

90+ Minutes vs Hearts
Ross County
Celtic at Home

2 of those games are late goals costing us the points when we don't have time to get them back, completely different from losing a goal on 60 mins and having half an hour to rectify it, he was directly responsible for losing 4 points with utterly shambolic goalkeeping.
Hearts and Ross County, I’ll concede.
Not the Scum game you mention though.
Certainly more than an error by him.
Interesting the difference you make in when it’s okay to make a mistake then cite a game where any perceived mistake was in the first half!
Also, just to stick with your idea of when a mistake shouldn’t count, were the goals against Motherwell, both home games, not pretty late?

Hearts and Ross County, I’ll concede.
Not the Scum game you mention though.
Certainly more than an error by him.
Interesting the difference you make in when it’s okay to make a mistake then cite a game where any perceived mistake was in the first half!
Also, just to stick with your idea of when a mistake shouldn’t count, were the goals against Motherwell, both home games, not pretty late?

Its not ok to make a mistake in any game

But it isn't rocket science to say if a Goalkeeper makes a howler in 92 mins, he has thrown away points

In games were the mistake comes earlier, the team has a chance to make it up , Motherwell for instance sure errors resulted in a draw, but so did the players not making and taking chances after it

We are literally a kick away from 6 points vs Hearts and County , and the keeper makes howlers which result in 2 points and no chance to get that back.

The thing is, he will remembered for his excellent Shot Stopping, and we’ll forget his inability in the six yard box on cross balls, which has always been his Achilles Heal!
That’ll be because it’s a much more important skill.
Also, are Goram and Klos remembered for their command of the goal area or their brilliance at coming for crosses?
Yet, these two, plus McGregor would probably be one, two and three in any GOAT poll we’d have today.
Who is the best goalkeeper we’ve had at coming for crosses or their command of the goal area?

Its not ok to make a mistake in any game

But it isn't rocket science to say if a Goalkeeper makes a howler in 92 mins, he has thrown away points

In games were the mistake comes earlier, the team has a chance to make it up , Motherwell for instance sure errors resulted in a draw, but so did the players not making and taking chances after it

We are literally a kick away from 6 points vs Hearts and County , and the keeper makes howlers which result in 2 points and no chance to get that back.
Point one, it’s got to be okay to make mistakes.
Second point, if other players hadn’t mistakes in between us scoring and the opposition equalising, any mistake made in the last minutes wouldn’t be getting the same attention.
However, these are acceptable errors because they didn’t cost a goal, weren’t in the last minute and weren’t committed by McGregor.

Point one, it’s got to be okay to make mistakes.
Second point, if other players hadn’t mistakes in between us scoring and the opposition equalising, any mistake made in the last minutes wouldn’t be getting the same attention.
However, these are acceptable errors because they didn’t cost a goal, weren’t in the last minute and weren’t committed by McGregor.

I get you will go round all the houses to stick up for someone , and it is admirable, but it really makes no difference, a player makes a mistake at the most vital of times , and they were fucking howlers no matter how you dress it up , then it is a problem and more of a problem than someone making one in the early stages

Football is about big moments at crucial times of the game, Mistakes in 90+ minutes are , like it or not, moments that are unsalvageable or on the flip side like Ferguson's United, match winning and season defining moments.

Anyone watching McGregor last season will have seen a drop off from the season before, but that was fine in general, because it was just a drop, the mistakes though, especially Hearts and County, and they weren't the only 2 they were only the worst were not fine.

McGregor is a hall of famer, my favourite and our 2nd Best ever keeper for me, but time has come for us to move on with a keeper who the opposition won't target with cross balls and who won't make game defining mistakes which are now creeping into his game.

I get you would have him as number 1 until he is 60, all about opinions :D

I get you will go round all the houses to stick up for someone , and it is admirable, but it really makes no difference, a player makes a mistake at the most vital of times , and they were fucking howlers no matter how you dress it up , then it is a problem and more of a problem than someone making one in the early stages

Football is about big moments at crucial times of the game, Mistakes in 90+ minutes are , like it or not, moments that are unsalvageable or on the flip side like Ferguson's United, match winning and season defining moments.

Anyone watching McGregor last season will have seen a drop off from the season before, but that was fine in general, because it was just a drop, the mistakes though, especially Hearts and County, and they weren't the only 2 they were only the worst were not fine.

McGregor is a hall of famer, my favourite and our 2nd Best ever keeper for me, but time has come for us to move on with a keeper who the opposition won't target with cross balls and who won't make game defining mistakes which are now creeping into his game.

Oh dear, didn’t read my post.
Not untypical, mind you.
Very typical as those who only want to use whatever information there is to support their pre-determined argument.

Oh dear, didn’t read my post.
Not untypical, mind you.
Very typical as those who only want to use whatever information there is to support their pre-determined argument.

Touche, about as typical as taking one line from a post because you can't argue with the rest.

El Paz is a nickname given to him by the Dogger Saints podcast as they sponsored his top tbf I think it's a stinker. He's actually a decent goalie , played for Dundee before saints and was a "steady eddie" in the SPL.

On the other topic, Greegs has had his day with us and should bow out on the back of getting his standing ovation at the scottish cup final.

Wouldn't be opposed to jon as a stop gap but we really need to invest in a young keeper who controls his box and is good with his feet. Thats the direction the games going in now and thats why Alison and Ederson barely make a worldie save - they read the game and position themselves well to make saves look easy.

That’s correct but a short term view.
Players don’t get picked or make it in the first place because of what they do in minute one or minute ninety one but what they do over the course of a game and, even then, not just one game.
McGregor’s errors, and I have never suggested they weren’t errors, need to be balanced with what is positive in his game.
Unless you think the manager is prepared to jeopardise the success of the team, and ultimately, himself.
As for the errors made by other players, these can be every bit as critical as a last minute goal.
Look at Goldson’s error in the 2-2 draw against Motherwell.
Very similar to his error in the EL final.
Should he escape criticism because they weren’t in the last minute and we had time to recover?
What people tend to forget is that it’s a team game.
Every player will make mistakes and it’s up to the rest of the team to make sure they are not the talking point.
I cannot remember too many games where we haven’t created more chances, missed by other players making what may have been critical errors on the day, than the opposition.
How many clear, 100%, chances did we miss at 1-0 against Hearts, 2-0 against Motherwell or 3-2 against Ross County?
However, we all want to talk about the keeper’s error.

That’s correct but a short term view.
Players don’t get picked or make it in the first place because of what they do in minute one or minute ninety one but what they do over the course of a game and, even then, not just one game.
McGregor’s errors, and I have never suggested they weren’t errors, need to be balanced with what is positive in his game.
Unless you think the manager is prepared to jeopardise the success of the team, and ultimately, himself.
As for the errors made by other players, these can be every bit as critical as a last minute goal.
Look at Goldson’s error in the 2-2 draw against Motherwell.
Very similar to his error in the EL final.
Should he escape criticism because they weren’t in the last minute and we had time to recover?
What people tend to forget is that it’s a team game.
Every player will make mistakes and it’s up to the rest of the team to make sure they are not the talking point.
I cannot remember too many games where we haven’t created more chances, missed by other players making what may have been critical errors on the day, than the opposition.
How many clear, 100%, chances did we miss at 1-0 against Hearts, 2-0 against Motherwell or 3-2 against Ross County?
However, we all want to talk about the keeper’s error.
TBF mate - both his errors in that game would have got him leathered in the showers at an amateur team.

A goalkeepers mistakes will always be highlighted.

Others mistakes are often negated hen a team mate(which includes McGregor) digs them out.

If you look at the Ross County equaliser, for example, there are a number of mistakes & poor decision-making from outfield players that lead to the goal. That’s not to absolve AM but it does illustrate how a keeper’s error is highlighted.

My concern is the ball into the box creates all manner of uncertainty.

It basically means we have to win the first & second ball. A keeper coming out invariably solves that.

In the Cup Semi-Final + Final, late corners were dealt with by McLaughlin.

We’ll likely have threads next season asking would AM have saved that…

Back