St Johnstone fans not happy their keeper has signed a new deal

TBF mate - both his errors in that game would have got him leathered in the showers at an amateur team.
Absolutely, they would!
However the point I’m making is that so would Goldson for his mistake against Motherwell, Simpson, Barisic and more in the other Motherwell game,
Davis not releasing the pass to Roofe when 3 on 2 against Hearts.
(Okay, Davis would get off with it)
And a host of others who made bad errors throughout.

My take on McGregor..

Up there with Barry as my favourite Rangers player.

But he's absolutely done and offering him a new contract would be ridiculous from the club.

He didn't single handedly cost us the league but he was responsible for too many dropped points.

From January onwards he looked every bit a 40 year old goalkeeper.. he was slow, indecisive and has lost some agility that seen him as a top shot stopper.

It's time to let him go and give McLaughlin the gloves this coming season.

If you had read any of the other threads about McGregor during the season you would have read a great deal of criticism regarding him from many other posters. His absolute blunders cost us very dearly during the season that's just ended.
It’s called collective responsibility as football is a team game. Your critique goes over the top and actually borders on a rant against one of the best keepers Rangers have ever had.

It’s called collective responsibility as football is a team game. Your critique goes over the top and actually borders on a rant against one of the best keepers Rangers have ever had.
There is no room for sentiment in football as far as I am concerned. There have been many threads on here after his various blunders occurred. If you read them you will see my criticism of our managers (Gerrard and GvB) for not dropping him. McGregor was one of our best but he was past that point imo at the end of the previous season. His errors cost us dearly last season and I cannot see the rationale in him being offered a new deal by the club. When Advocaat arrived at Ibrox he inherited a goalie who was rated by many on here as the best we have had. Advocaat showed no sentiment in his dealings and let Goram go. It did not harm the club. McGregor has had a great career but I and many other Bears think it's time for him to either call it a day or simply move on.

Back