Chief Scout Scoulding off to Spurs

cambridgeblue

Breaking - Telegraph

Tottenham will appoint Rangers chief scout Andy Scoulding to a role at the club ahead of their return to the Champions League next season.

Scoulding is set to join later in the summer, having been with Rangers since 2017 and was part of the team behind the scenes, led by Ross Wilson, that helped Steven Gerrard end the club’s decade-long wait to reclaim the Scottish Premiership title.

From the Rangers team that reached the final of the Europa League last month, notable signings included Joe Aribo from Charlton, Calvin Bassey from Leicester City’s academy and Ryan Kent after a loan from Liverpool. All have seen their market values increase during their time in Glasgow.

Fabio Paratici, Spurs’ managing director of football, has been looking to add to his team for his second season in the Premier League, although Scoulding will not be part of the recruitment team.

Scoulding started at Fulham where he was an analyst before being part of the scouting team under Roy Hodgson, then had spell at Liverpool, the Football Assocation and Valencia.

On his job at Rangers, Scoulding said in an interview: “One of the key things for us is to make sure we don’t just have a European footprint, we have a global footprint and we are able to identify the best talent and then attract them to the football club.”

Spurs have seen changes to their staff since the era of Mauricio Pochettino, with John McDermott moving to the FA as technical director and Steve Hitchen leaving last season as the club’s director of technical performance.

Paratici is expected to have a busy summer recruiting players for Antonio Conte to have a satisfactory squad for next season as Spurs rejoin Europe’s elite. Fwather Forthter and Ivan Perisic have arrived as free agents, which was Paratici’s hallmark during his time at Juventus. They remain in the market in several positions including centre-back.

Its another bit of behind-the-scenes disruption we could probably do without in all honesty. Clearly, when the likes of Spurs are coming and poaching your staff then they are obviously doing a good job. The scouting community within football circles will all know who's 'good' and who's 'not so good' so I'd imagine Scoulding must have a very good reputation. He wouldn't get that level of offer otherwise.

Manager poached by Villa.
Doctor poached by Leicester.
Chief Scout poached by Spurs.

Clearly our infrastructure was top level, Gio has already proven to be a decent replacement on the manager situation.

But I hope we can replace these staff to the highest level as well, the infrastructure is important, if it's not top level, we go backwards.

Andy Scoulding, by all accounts was a good coach and analyst. I don’t think you work for the FA on their staff if your a dud, same with Liverpool.

The move to Spurs will be a life changing one in terms of lifestyle and salary, but it’s testament to how big we are as a club for these guys to be poaching our best staff.

I would imagine Gio has replacements lined up, and he will want to bring some more of his own staff to the club.

Good luck to Andy at Spurs.

Good job to take - certainly easier being a scout with a almost endless pot of Premier League money to play with :))

Hopefully we make a good appointment too - coaching appointments have been good since 2017/18 onwards (Gerrard, Beale and their extended team and now Gio, Vos and Zeb Jacobs in the academy) top scouting job should be no different.

Anyone involved in our scouting since 2017 has clearly done a f*cking outstanding job TBH
Spot on

Considering how little we have actually spent and how valuable our squad is the football department have been tremendous

Of course not every player has worked but that's football,on the whole thoughthey have been excellent

Hopefully we're an easy sell to other hungry, up and coming scouts and we can replace quality with quality.
Should certainly help when we can point to previous guys developing with us before heading off to top jobs in the EPL.

Feels like we are being pillaged. First the club doctor now the head scout.

From what I hear both were class leaders in the role and will be difficult to replace.

Wonder if we still have Ewan Chester’s number.

Yeah it feels as though our English backroom staff are slowly going back south now that SG has left.

Please say you typed Ewan Chester's name as a sick joke, when appointed head coach it was definitely way beyond his ability.

I wonder if Wilson will insist on replacements or if Gio has people in mind.

It's something we need to get right though, definitely.

A fresh perspective on scouting will be good.

Who's the guy behind FootballRadar, isn't he a Rangers fan?

That's a thing clubs do now isn't it, get him on the scouting team.

Im not even sure if this is a bad thing, which first team players has he specifically found? I think most of our recent signings have been players recommended based on our coaches at the time knowing them?
Come off it. We've went from Progres to a European final in that time. Look at the return we've had from guys like Bassey, Balogun, Borna (was signing before we played Osijek contrary to what many say), Helander, Aribo, Lundstram etc

Come off it. We've went from Progres to a European final in that time. Look at the return we've had from guys like Bassey, Balogun, Borna (was signing before we played Osijek contrary to what many say), Helander, Aribo, Lundstram etc
Great point and well made.

Im not even sure if this is a bad thing, which first team players has he specifically found? I think most of our recent signings have been players recommended based on our coaches at the time knowing them?

Well, we just got to a European final with a team assembled, in total, under what it would generally cost an EPL side to buy an average full back.

So aye, it probably is a bad thing.

Big question from me would be how much of the team he has in place will he take with him. If the team and structure is still in place it might not make a huge difference because it’s not like it’s him scouting everyone himself

How could you possibly know who specifically brought who to the table?

We won't know who specifically targeted which player but he arrived in 2017 as chief scout and during that term we signed....

Goldson
Kent
Bassey
Borna
Kamara
Aribo
Roofe
Itten
Hagi

The current value of the above is significantly above the net spend so I'm not sure anyone could possibly conclude anything other then Scouling having been a success. The fact he leaves to join spurs would support that view.

Feels like we are being pillaged. First the club doctor now the head scout.

From what I hear both were class leaders in the role and will be difficult to replace.

Wonder if we still have Ewan Chester’s number.
Chester is/was still part of the scouting set up under Mark Allen.

Still shows on linkedin too but never seen anything about him leaving

We could do with some fresh ideas, the cheaper signings have been excellent, but the bigger signings have been quite poor.

Roofe, Helander and Itten were worth it for 55 alone but that’s special circumstances we won’t see again, their value has decreased significantly since then.

Diallo/Ramsey was naivety you’d expect from us fans not educated professionals at big clubs.

We need to look at bringing in better players who improve us right away, that’s a rarity for us.

Undoubtedly good at his job but I don't see it as too much of a negative. Change is good sometimes, and he has been in the job for 4/5 years now. Freshen the place up and add new ideas to our recruitment model, which has been poor in recent times.

Wish him all the best . The money will be huge . I would suspect we will have already identified a possible replacement .Part of Ross Wilson's job is to identify replacements for all senior positions and he probably already has a short list ready .

Back