Amazon Prime - Rangers 72

That was really emotional watching that. What a documentary. Superb production and beautifully handled all the way through

As others have said, I still feel the Barca Bears don’t get the massive respect they are due in this country. That ECWC win was against the very best in Europe. What a team. It’s long overdue that we reappraise the whole 1972 journey. It was utterly astonishing to win that against all odds and on the back of the previous season’s utterly tragic events.

Honestly, I am just so proud of our club.

What an incredible film. Very moving and very emotional. Everyone had a story to tell and everyone told it in such a way that was compelling.

The Bobby Shearer moment got me, never knew what he did. Just shows how much of
a Ranger he is.

Can you imagine the feeling in the dressing room thinking you had been knocked out on penalties only to be told you are through? As a sde issue, what happened to the ref who room it to penalties and didn’t know the away goals rule properly, was he suspended?

Watched it the other night and loved it - had tears of pride at the end, even though 72 was before I was born.

As a Rangers fan: it's a masterpiece. Discovering Colin Stein was a big pest, Dave Smith was the quiet man, Doddie would bleed blue etc. Amazing.

For football fans: it's a thrill-ride from start to finish, yet it flows perfectly. As a stand-alone sports film, I would put it up there with Senna

Thanks OP for puting us onto this. Just watched it there, very emotional in parts. I was only a kid, but its as if it was yesterday. Still got my John Greig sideburns. The music, the production, everything was very stylish. What a team.

What an incredible film. Very moving and very emotional. Everyone had a story to tell and everyone told it in such a way that was compelling.

The Bobby Shearer moment got me
, never knew what he did. Just shows how much of
a Ranger he is.

Can you imagine the feeling in the dressing room thinking you had been knocked out on penalties only to be told you are through? As a sde issue, what happened to the ref who room it to penalties and didn’t know the away goals rule properly, was he suspended?
That was a stand out for me also. Just thinking of that guy (well before my time), he could have strolled in the front door and demanded special treatment, but no, he was just there as a fan, holding a scarf, after everything he achieved at the club, cheering on the next gen.
amazing

Born in ‘73 so before my time but it’s a lovely tribute to that team and their ECWC run. Agreed - the lack of match footage from the earlier rounds was disappointing. I guess it’s a sign of the times. We are spoiled for football on TV now.

And the dubbed commentary was a bit naff although it didn’t spoil the documentary overall.

What a talent DJ was - striker, midfielder, centre half - trusted and performed to the highest standard in all 3 positions before the age of 20. Blows my mind.
This also hacked me off. Archie MacPherson did the original commentary which I think was for the BBC, and I don't see why we couldn't have used that.
Unless of course it was a copyright issue.
Or the BBC being typically anti Rangers and refusing us permission to use it.
It would be interesting to know if that was the case.
(All assuming that it was on the BBC of course) : )

Watched it on Sunday night great to hear our heroes from the 70s talking about that time in our history I just left school in 72

a Ranger he is.

I might be wrong but I think that may have been the first year of the away goals rule & the ref had missed that it included extra time ?

72 is a bit before my time so watching this was as educational as it was emotional.

A very well put together documentary. The stories of the route that team took from the disaster to european glory by beating some of the best teams in europe at the time is incredible.

.... however could someone not have shaved Archie MacPhersons fecking nose hairs!?! They kept showing him in profile and lit from the back and it was so distracting. Noticed how much he was shaking too.. poor guy. :(

Watched it the other night and loved it - had tears of pride at the end, even though 72 was before I was born.

As a Rangers fan: it's a masterpiece. Discovering Colin Stein was a big pest, Dave Smith was the quiet man, Doddie would bleed blue etc. Amazing.

For football fans: it's a thrill-ride from start to finish, yet it flows perfectly. As a stand-alone sports film, I would put it up there with Senna
Dave Smith eventually ended up player manager at Berwick where I had a couple of mates who played also. I understand it was lower league stuff but he absolutely strolled it even in his mid to late 30s. What a player.

Just finished watching it. Very emotional at the end. The song by Dancing Years/Ellen Smith, Here's To My Old Friends brought tears to my eyes.
I was 10 during that run and went to all the home games apart from the Bayern game. My dad went to the final and brought me a sombrero back, blue of course. I remember the Sporting Lisbon away game and going to bed thinking we were out.

Just finished watching it 5 minutes ago. The sense of pride you could feel from these men...winners was tremendous. Wee Bud is still a gallous wee fecker...love him to bits. Doddy just epitomises what it must be like to be a Ranger.
Indeed.

When I saw wee bud and Doddy together with John Brown at airport going to Seville I couldn't resist a quick photo with them!

The video is excellent

An excellent documentary that was both informative and entertaining. Great to see it on an outlet like Prime as well so other sports fans might dip into it and find out a bit more about our great club.

a Ranger he is.

Jaw dropping moment for me, incredible

What an excellent watch that was, so well put together. Insightful and emotional. I really wish I got to see Willie Johnston play, just a few years before my time.

Got it on now absolutely brilliant gives you a good chance to see the respect for each other & for Willie & jock who made them into winner's one hard but good team love it

Just finished watching it and thought it was excellent. The cup won was more than a decade before I was born and although I've read a fair bit about it, what an education that was.
Well I am 65 so I remember these player's but what a insight into what went on within the team & how they won the cup a side of the game you never got to see back then so this was so special for me & I am sure others around my age Loved it

Watched it tonight, full of pride knowing I was at all the home games & got to see these legends in their prime.

I learnt a few new things too, such as the fans were on the pitch before the game started & also that Bobby Shearer was in the Broomloan end when we returned and paraded the cup at Ibrox. I was in the east enclosure that night and did it not pish down all the time.

I don't know if it's been mentioned already in the thread , but does anyone know why Tommy McLean & Alfie Conn were not interviewed as apart from Sandy they were the only players missing from the documentary ?

Like most others I was in tears when wee Doddie was too.

Also had a wee tear in my eye at the very end when they lined up in the changing room and the spaces left were for "absent friends".

Very poignant.

Well I am 65 so I remember these player's but what a insight into what went on within the team & how they won the cup a side of the game you never got to see back then so this was so special for me & I am sure others around my age Loved it
A great point. Hard to remember a time (for me) that you didn't have a social media insight into what the players / team were up to.

The bit near the end where I think it's Willie Mathieson mentions he seen Bobby Shearer in the crowd with his scarf when the team were parading the trophy around on the lorry. That got me...

As an aside Willie Waddell was light years ahead of his time on some things
Off topic

My wife’s dad used to walk my boy to nursery , ditto Bobby Shearer doing the same for his granddaughter , my father in law asked him if he was Bobby Shearer or a lookalike ? They end up having wee chats

My father in law asks him if he’d sign a book , can’t remember the name of it , Rangers the complete record , something like that , it tells a wee bit about every player who’s played for us , with the top players getting there own page.

Bobby Shearer reads his testimonial then signed it , best wishes Bobby Shearer Rangers FC. Must have been 30odd years since he’d played, then he thanked my father in law for asking him .

As did most fans when they won a major event. This was not unique to Rangers, contrary to what the MSM would have you believe.
9On84fm.jpeg

No matter what they would have you believe:

After the final whistle, Celtic’s fans invaded the pitch in scenes of jubilation which meant that the trophy could not be presented on the pitch, so unlike any other at the time, Billy McNeil Celtic’s captain had to lift the trophy on a podium in the stand.

That was really emotional watching that. What a documentary. Superb production and beautifully handled all the way through

As others have said, I still feel the Barca Bears don’t get the massive respect they are due in this country. That ECWC win was against the very best in Europe. What a team. It’s long overdue that we reappraise the whole 1972 journey. It was utterly astonishing to win that against all odds and on the back of the previous season’s utterly tragic events.

Honestly, I am just so proud of our club.
the reason is because the scum victory in 1967 is taken as they beat all these great teams with a team born only 30 miles from Glasgow

the geography is correct but the reality is that Inter were the only "great" team they beat, we beat a Bayern Munich team who were to go on and dominate the European Cup for the next 3 years which is an achievement in it's own, never mind winning the trophy

the reason is because the scum victory in 1967 is taken as they beat all these great teams with a team born only 30 miles from Glasgow

the geography is correct but the reality is that Inter were the only "great" team they beat, we beat a Bayern Munich team who were to go on and dominate the European Cup for the next 3 years which is an achievement in it's own, never mind winning the trophy
We beat teams from France,Portugal,Italy and Germany just to get to the final agains a Russian team.torino were top of the Italian league when we knocked them out.we all know what that Bayern team did go on and dominate European football and filled the 74 West German World Cup winning team and we horses them at Ibrox.

9On84fm.jpeg

No matter what they would have you believe:

After the final whistle, Celtic’s fans invaded the pitch in scenes of jubilation which meant that the trophy could not be presented on the pitch, so unlike any other at the time, Billy McNeil Celtic’s captain had to lift the trophy on a podium in the stand.
Yup!
And luckily for them, the police didn't wade in to get them off the pitch unlike the Spanish police who massively overreacted to our fans on the pitch in 72. A totally different outcome to an almost identical set of circumstances.

Back