Interesting Comment From Arfield in Recent RTV Interview

Saying that he's still in the top 5 fittest players at the club, when it comes to the pre season endurance work.

No real suprise to many of us I'm sure, but maybe a wee wake up call for the "his legs have gone" mob.
Good to hear, but I want players to be physically in top condition alongside having the ability & the technique.

Realistically Arfield should be about 5th choice for one of the central spots & probably 3rd choice for the spot on the right hand side.

Saying that he's still in the top 5 fittest players at the club, when it comes to the pre season endurance work.

No real suprise to many of us I'm sure, but maybe a wee wake up call for the "his legs have gone" mob.
we hear this nonsense every year, the best on the training pitch means little to us fans who go on what we see on the pitch,

I think when people say his legs are gone it’s down to how long he takes to recover from an injury. If he’s been out a few weeks he takes a while to get back up to speed, so everyone makes the assumption that he can’t run anymore.

his physique in the changing room after the cup final was like Michelangelo's David ;)

hewn from granite, that boy.

Wouldn’t read too much into it. Crawford and Greg Docherty regularly posted insane numbers in these things
Aye but Arfield is a better player than both them put together in fairness.

I’m 50/50 on if we should’ve kept but again if we improve the 11 he’s solid back up and has rarely let us down and I imagine he’s good around the dressing room as well if things aren’t going so well

I have a slight concern and really hope that it doesn’t come to be this way.
Our fitness was developed under Gerrard, with double running sessions until the players were spewing in some cases. The first few training videos of the summer were always runs and beep tests. Hardly any ball work for the first week.

Arfields comments that Gio was working on shape and receiving the ball, and a more European approach, makes me worried that we won’t drill that fitness to the same level. Which will no doubt result in a decrease in levels. I’m not saying it will fall off a cliff, but our almost unbelievable fitness was a real advantage that I hope we don’t take as a given.

Hopefully I’m reading too much into it.

Seen one or two players out in Dubai training during preseason there. Tav is up for it this season. Ryan Jack was out as well toward the end there. Good to see them have the desire to be better and fitter. We showed last season that we have very fit players

He will still definitely do us a turn on occasions next year. Maybe not in terms of starting 8 games in a row, but in terms of a versatile player who knows what it is about and can still contribute. Great attitude, great team player, and a good experienced homegrown player to still have in the squad. Some folk are always desperate to sign the latest 23 yo European wonder kid for £££ (even though they have never heard of them or seen them play).

Guys like Alves, Zlatan, Giroud, Ronaldo, etc are not as good as 10 years ago, but they are still contributing in top leagues. Age is no longer a barometer of whether players are done.

If Gio and our coaches think he is worth keeping for this year, then that’s good enough for me. They will know better than any of us whether he can still contribute, which he was still doing last year at the end of a very long season. We do still obviously need some freshening up for next season, particularly midfield, wide and upfront, but clubs competing in Europe need really big squads these days.

Our fitness was developed under Gerrard, with double running sessions until the players were spewing in some cases. The first few training videos of the summer were always runs and beep tests. Hardly any ball work for the first week.

Arfields comments that Gio was working on shape and receiving the ball, and a more European approach, makes me worried that we won’t drill that fitness to the same level. Which will no doubt result in a decrease in levels. I’m not saying it will fall off a cliff, but our almost unbelievable fitness was a real advantage that I hope we don’t take as a given.

ffs, we have seen about 10minutes of clips. How was our fitness at the end of last season? Its the same backroom staff we have.

Arno Phillips is a fitness coach of serious pedigree; I doubt we have anything to worry about there. The proper physical stuff will no doubt begin when the rest of the team join up in Portugal.

It's great guys like Gio, Vos and Maakay are getting a bit of time to work with the players on technical play. As Scotty says, there wasn't much of an opportunity to do so last season because of the schedule.

I wonder why criteria he’s using, cos I find that a bit hard to believe. Scotty seemed to tire as the game wore on several times this season.

Match fitness is very different from general running fitness.

He is without doubt definitely slower than he was 3 years ago and he was never blessed with great pace.

In an ideal world he will be used sparingly this season, guys like Lowry will be given more game time. Guys like Davis and Arfield are backup and there to bring these young players on and show them what is required of them in training every day, what is required of them of the pitch etc and get them used to the expectations of being a Rangers player.

Back