Some Thoughts On Aribo

Lord Summerisle

Administrator
Staff member
I’m pretty chilled about the prospect of Joe Aribo leaving.

He’s worth more than reputed £10million figure people are mentioning, but he was worth more than the circa. £2m or so (all in, there was much more to this deal than the low transfer fee ) it cost us to capture him.
And if such a release clause helped us land him, then so be it.

Another thing to consider is how many games he played last season. Who’s to say he wouldn’t struggle badly with burnout this season?
Is there not the African Cup thing to come in January, too?

I feel like the time is right for the move.
We’ve been brilliant for Aribo, and he’s been brilliant for us.

That said, out of the three players who have a year left on their deals, Aribo is definitely the one I’d be most comfortable selling.

If he goes, he goes with my very best of wishes and thanks for some wonderful memories.

Cheers, Joe.

He’s a likeable guy. Has done a decent job for us and we’ve made a really good profit (if he goes)

Just wish he had confidence. You see glimpses of how good he is at taking players on (Braga in 2020 at Ibrox prime example) I always felt he just lacked the self belief to do it in on a regular basis.

Like yourself he goes with my best wishes.

agree with much of that but AFCON happened in January, hence all the greeting about how he was dead on his feet

About 150 appearances for Rangers in 3 years. We have got some mileage out of the man and he has been superb for us.

We need to start selling our players for big money on a consistent basis, and this is a great start. As long as players give their all for Rangers for a decent period of time, as attached as we may get to them, players like Aribo should go with all of our best wishes.

He’s worth more than reputed £10million figure people are mentioning, but he was worth more than the circa. £2m or so (all in, there was much more to this deal than the low transfer fee ) it cost us to capture him.

Another thing to consider is how many games he played last season. Who’s to say he wouldn’t struggle badly with burnout this season?

That said, out of the three players who have a year left on their deals, Aribo is definitely the one I’d be most comfortable selling.

If he goes, he goes with my very best of wishes and thanks for some wonderful memories.

Cheers, Joe.

What do you mean by "all in, there was much more to this deal than the low transfer fee ) it cost us to capture him"?

Was it not just a £300k development fee?

One thing that did surprise me is just how open he was about how much he doubted his own ability.

He’s a fantastic player but I think it showed sometimes and he struggled for consistency long before AFCON.

Hopefully the money goes towards goal scorers even if they aren’t of the technical ability of someone like Aribo, I’d take that.

I said in transfer thread that he was good for us and we were good for him. He and we could probably have only dreamed of a Europa final and throw in 55 and Scottish cup swansong then I think we can both be happy and hopefully he has a good career and we reinvest in the squad and our player trading model begins !

Yes a bigger fee would have been good but without release clause maybe contract would have been run down, who knows , that's football .

Liked him as a player and wish him all the best, did us a hell of a turn given what we paid for him.

I do have a slight pang of regret that on a few occasions while he was here he genuinely seemed on the cusp of exploding into the goal scoring midfielder we all wanted to bag 15+ a season, but for one reason or another it never quite happened.

Some highlight reel from the goals he did score to be fair.

Will always follow the big mans career. What a player and what a signing. He must piss himself laughing whenever he thinks of Lee Bowyers "advice"

Top player, played in some massive games for us. Goes with everyone's best wishes I'd imagine. Good move for all parties.

I will miss him as he is a class player but the model is to buy cheap and sell to make a good profit

Not sure if it’s feasible or possible given the release clause for us to get a sell on clause but if we can it would be perfect as I think in another 2 years a bigger club will want him

We can’t afford to let him go for free so thanks for the goals, skill and ball retention and the 12 minutes inside the Seville stadium when we dreamed of winning the. EL

Good luck Joe and you will always be welcomed back

My thoughts on Joe Aribo are this.

Love the guy, love his talent and that at times velcro left paw.

However, I don't want any other players fcuking off an a farce of a footballing Safari hence meaning we have a lethargic, leadened pace player in the second half of the season and no, one opening goal, in a defeat will convince me otherwise.

I'm not convinced he wants to go, but the African Cup sh1te is something we should be looking to avoid going forward.

Comes across as a thoroughly nice guy, wish him nothing but the best for his future career wherever he ends up. I’m sure we’ll see plenty of him on motd every week. Good luck Joe

An absolute joy of a player - been a massive part of this team for years now.

But, the right time for the club and player to part ways - he gets his chance in the Premier League and we get a good return for a player in his last 12 months.

Wish him all the best, he’ll do well in England.

Tremendously gifted player, possibly the most naturally gifted we have.

After 3 years I’m still not sure we know his best position, or if he has the full set of attributes to actually nail down any position in a top side.

I wouldn’t question his commitment, his constant availability last year speaks for that. I do wonder if there is a bit of a lack of killer instinct or confidence that maybe means we didn’t see the best of him in a few OF games.

All in all a great signing and I agree that now is a good exit point for both if we can get £10m in relatively soon.

Great signing for us, Would have been amazing if he wasn’t a bit inconsistent. Also made a sizeable profit on him which is what we all want for the club. I know we didn’t win but just for that short period when we were ahead in that final was probably one of the most euphoric moments in my life! Good luck Joe.

Great player for us albeit not the most consistent. He was there for 55 and Seville so he’ll go with the vast majorities blessing. Last year of his deal and £10m put into the kitty(hopefully!) is smiles all round IMO.

It's been a lot of fun watching this team since Gerrard came in, and Aribo was a big part of that.

His ability to beat a man and his first touch were absolutely unparalleled in the team, save for maybe Kent. The type of footballer you pay money to watch, and the type that make you fall in love with the game.

Hope he enjoys success wherever he goes.

Cheers, Joe.
Not a chance. Aribo has consistently showed himself as the most creative player in our team, capable of playing on the biggest stage yet also of unlocking the horrid turgid crap we get in the league.

He will be missed sorely and very difficult to replace.

Strongly suspect we will appreciate him more after he departs. Fantastic signing and large boots to fill if he goes. This is the way of things for us in the modern game though and we need to use the anticipated profit wisely given the financial constraints in our environment.

Hope he smashes it in the rest of his career.

Can’t really add much to what has been said above. Have thoroughly enjoyed watching him and his skills. Sad to see him go but has been a good deal overall and he’s contributed well. Still feel he’s got more in his locker, hope he finds it.

I'll remember him for some outstanding goals and attacking play, but also his defending on the night we played Dortmund at Ibrox. He won every header from a Dortmund corner that night. Best wishes Joe.

I will be sorry to see him go but this is football and players move around. If, as reported, he has a £10M release clause in his contract then that is the fee the club must insist on receiving. The only issue to be negotiated is how the fee will be paid - all up front (unlikely) or instalments. Same for other players in the same situation.

Back