Some Thoughts On Aribo

I don’t have huge confidence in his replacement being as good. Losing him weakens us, but he’s forced this and holds all the cards.

Hope he does well.

I'm sure he has another level that he's never quite hit for us, so good luck to him if he goes.

We've got some good mileage out of him, so if we get 10m+ for him then it's another positive for our scouting dept.

I’m pretty chilled about the prospect of Joe Aribo leaving.

He’s worth more than reputed £10million figure people are mentioning, but he was worth more than the circa. £2m or so (all in, there was much more to this deal than the low transfer fee ) it cost us to capture him.
And if such a release clause helped us land him, then so be it.

Another thing to consider is how many games he played last season. Who’s to say he wouldn’t struggle badly with burnout this season?
Is there not the African Cup thing to come in January, too?

I feel like the time is right for the move.
We’ve been brilliant for Aribo, and he’s been brilliant for us.

That said, out of the three players who have a year left on their deals, Aribo is definitely the one I’d be most comfortable selling.

If he goes, he goes with my very best of wishes and thanks for some wonderful memories.

Cheers, Joe.
Totally agree with all the sentiment here!

Worth more than the £10M but not crazy more, especially in the last year.

Conjecture surrounds what will be reinvested but even half would potentially get us a proper no. 10 that will get his shots away early and get more goals domestically.

Europe is where we’ll miss Aribos class but we made the man on that stage and all focus should be on his replacement and finding the next Joe Aribo.

Good luck lad, and thanks for the memories!

He was a great buy, lots of technical ability and I’ll miss him because he’s a likeable player too. But this is a really good deal for us I think, not least because Aribo just isn’t consistent enough for me. He’s got so much ability but there were too many games that would pass him by.

I really hope he does well in the Premier League though, I’m rooting for him all the way.

I love this team, I don’t want any of them to leave.

I’ll be gutted if Joe, Glen or Kent go.

This team have been the shining lights from 2012.

I’ll be gutted to see any of them leave.
I really don’t hold the same sentiment, they just haven’t delivered enough silverware for me to feel that sort of attachment.

But there are players I’d be gutted to see go.

Good player, but for me not been consistent enough over his time and sometimes lacks that bit of "malice" he'd need to make next step in terms of levels.

If we get the reported fee, and reinvest with two first teamers I'd be very happy all round.

He’s worth more than reputed £10million figure people are mentioning, but he was worth more than the circa. £2m or so (all in, there was much more to this deal than the low transfer fee ) it cost us to capture him.

Another thing to consider is how many games he played last season. Who’s to say he wouldn’t struggle badly with burnout this season?

That said, out of the three players who have a year left on their deals, Aribo is definitely the one I’d be most comfortable selling.

If he goes, he goes with my very best of wishes and thanks for some wonderful memories.

Cheers, Joe.

GET REAL auld pal. Sell bestest players?
Ok if they don't want to stay, but we need our best. Pay him what he's worth. (That's more than I could ever imagine)

He’s a likeable guy. Has done a decent job for us and we’ve made a really good profit (if he goes)

Just wish he had confidence. You see glimpses of how good he is at taking players on (Braga in 2020 at Ibrox prime example) I always felt he just lacked the self belief to do it in on a regular basis.

Like yourself he goes with my best wishes.
Just a “ decent job” , your hard to please.

Most reports seem to suggest a fee rising to 10 million? I was hoping we would get most of that money up front and Gio would see at least half of it.

I think he will be an absolute revelation for Southampton. He has the awareness, the strength and the ball playing ability to play in the Prem for sure. What I think will work for him will be the space to actually play, both with his dribbling and passing. It's obviously a better quality of league and opposition down there. But the thing that's always stuck out about him, when things open up, he thrives.

Cheers, Joe.
Not as comfortable about him leaving us tbh.
Up there with one of my favourite players we've had for a long time. His performances in the 55 season and last season up until AFCON were unbelievable at times and I honestly think if he can get his confidence up and have the belief in his own ability then there's no limits to how far he could go in the game.
I know it all boils down to the alleged release clause but actually makes me sick considering the ridiculous amount of fees that gets spent on absolute dross down South that nonentities like Southampton will be getting him for a fee only rising to £10m.

I think he will be an absolute revelation for Southampton. He has the awareness, the strength and the ball playing ability to play in the Prem for sure. What I think will work for him will be the space to actually play, both with his dribbling and passing. It's obviously a better quality of league and opposition down there. But the thing that's always stuck out about him, when things open up, he thrives.

In some ways hes the perfect player to sell. Hes as good as it gets with a ball at his feet - and im talking in world football - he can show the EPL just how good our players are.

Btw im not saying hes flawless or world class. Specifically referring to his touch and his creativity on the ball

Not as comfortable about him leaving us tbh.
Up there with one of my favourite players we've had for a long time. His performances in the 55 season and last season up until AFCON were unbelievable at times and I honestly think if he can get his confidence up and have the belief in his own ability then there's no limits to how far he could go in the game.
I know it all boils down to the alleged release clause but actually makes me sick considering the ridiculous amount of fees that gets spent on absolute dross down South that nonentities like Southampton will be getting him for a fee only rising to £10m.
That for me is one of areas he lacks.
I say consistency issue, but could easily be belief too. I honestly think he needs to learn to just be that bit more 'nasty' at times within the limits of the rules of the game.

He has been here for years and I still don’t know his best position. That speaks volumes.

Tactically, I just don't think he meshed with some of our other pieces. When he played opposite of Kent, he didn't provide the width we needed and it caused us to be too easy to defend at times.

I think with other players in a different system, his strengths could be maximized. Glad we are selling him and hoping to get a piece that will better compliment where we need to go tactically with Gio.

I hope he stays. I’d give him a raise to negotiate away this £10M clause. Make it clear we will let him go if we get a decent offer. 10M is a joke in the current market.

I hope he stays. I’d give him a raise to negotiate away this £10M clause. Make it clear we will let him go if we get a decent offer. 10M is a joke in the current market.

We all were told that Bassey was going to be gone for £20-25M weeks ago. Where are the bids?

I think fans believe too much of what the media spins and believes all of these high amounts that never materialize.

Came in for a low fee. Played some cracking football, won the league, the Cup and almost led us to the unthinkable in the final in Seville. Nice guy, never heard one bad word said about him. We make a tidy profit on him. Brilliant bit of business, gonna miss that velcro like control/first touch and those dancing feet of his though.

The ideal transfer really. Both part each other in better nick, than we found each other in to begin with. Will be remembered fondly by the fans.

Cheers, Joe.
this

Good player, not consistant enough though and feel he should have chipped in with more goals.
Wish the lad well but he can be replaced

Thats why he’s going to Southampton, consistency is missing from his game and I think when he isnt up for it you would hardly know he was playing.

That period upto the AFCON he was unplayable for a large period and was our best player.

I’ll remember Joe for his individual brilliance rather than a huge period of playing 9/10 every week.

I dont think playing 70 games a season helps much tbf.

All the best to him and I hope he gets a big move.

Came in for a low fee. Played some cracking football, won the league, the Cup and almost led us to the unthinkable in the final in Seville. Nice guy, never heard one bad word said about him. We make a tidy profit on him. Brilliant bit of business, gonna miss that velcro like control/first touch and those dancing feet of his though.

The ideal transfer really. Both part each other in better nick, than we found each other in to begin with. Will be remembered fondly by the fans.

Most enjoyable period of our recent footballing history (post 2012) for me. Will remember his contribution forever, served each other well

Tremendously gifted player, possibly the most naturally gifted we have.

After 3 years I’m still not sure we know his best position, or if he has the full set of attributes to actually nail down any position in a top side.

I wouldn’t question his commitment, his constant availability last year speaks for that. I do wonder if there is a bit of a lack of killer instinct or confidence that maybe means we didn’t see the best of him in a few OF games.

All in all a great signing and I agree that now is a good exit point for both if we can get £10m in relatively soon.
Spot on mate, my only criticism would be that he could go missing at times in games, but I think he will flourish in the PL where guys won't be looking to break his legs. Forever part of 55 and I wish him well

One player leaving in order to see our team evolve with a couple signings is fine by me.

We get far too attached to key players. Aribo gets to showcase himself in the most watched league in the world and we get a good fee which we can reinvest in a couple positions (AM & RW) I hope :))

Good luck to the lad.

We got him on the cheap, he was an integral part in winning 55, he played his part getting us to seville, and he scored ,I will be forever grateful for watching a complete footballer, with ball at his feet, possibly the most skillful midfielder we have had since gazza, we move on he moves on and goes with my best wishes .

If he goes for 10m and we don’t have to sell anyone else this window and that money is our transfer budget, then it’s a great deal. We could maybe lose Borna or Hagi without losing too much if the money is reinvested but Kamara, Kent and Buff and all need to be resigned.

Big Calvin, if a stupid offer comes in, he has to go.

If Southampton buy him, maybe that’s another sign of our ”arrival” back at the top. Finally buying from the right side of Glasgow.

Any possibilities of a loan player coming the other way ? I don’t follow them so don’t know much about their squad.

I am gutted but it’s for the best.

He is a better player then he ever showed for us. Once he gets that last bit of confidence he will become incredible. What a memory he gave us

Incredibly talented, undoubtedly helped us improve and contributed massively to our 'return' to the top of the game domestically and in Europe

Wish him nothing but the best of luck

A great signing and contribution to the club

Joe Aribo: Laid back kid, a perfect match for Rangers and Joe. We played him in almost every position and he was great in every position.
He 100% goes with our best wishes. When he plays like he did for four months on the run up the Xmas he is unreal. Unfortunately after the break and AFCON he was juts not the same player and for us he was either unreal or playing with the hand break on and this was the problem.
But he goes with our best wishes and i am sure he can smash it in the Prem league.
If he kicks on he will get a huge move after Southampton to a Liverpool or a Chelsea no doubt about that. But that is up to him.

If he goes, even for this reported £10M release clause, then it would be a great example of how we can make this 'player trading model' work for us.

Joe has been a really good player for us - brilliant at times - and would go with my best wishes.

He has been a superb pro while at Ibrox, never bumped his gums in the papers and will be missed far more than a lot might expect.

Cracking footballer and seems like a really decent person too.

I am ok with the buy low sell high (ish) model in its purest form and Aribo epitomises this - bought for a relatively small outlay and sold probably under market value but best part of 10m with add ons is good business.

Now the only question now is how the money or percentage of the money is invested - I assume Gio won’t get all 10m - so now we need a goal scoring / creative midfielder and we still need a RW and a striker (possibly 2 if Alfie doesn’t sign a new deal)

Hopefully his move starts the ball rolling with other players moving.

All that said he goes with my best wishes and I don’t doubt for a minute he will be a star in the EPL - has everything physically to be a top top level player.

Best piece of ball control I’ve ever seen at Ibrox that night it came down from the height of the Govan stand. I actually stood up and applauded as did many others. Magnificent. Good luck Joe.

Goes with my best wishes

Promote Lowry

Spend a chunk on right sided goal scoring attacker we need 10-15 goals from that side of the pitch

Thanks for the memories joe

Seville braga being the highlights for me

Some tremendous goals e route to 55 also

When he finishes he'll look back and realise his best days were with us. Money wise a good move for him and the Epl, but he had some great adventures with us. Good luck.

Its not the flashy stuff we will miss from Aribo, its the front post defending at corners (and attacking corners front post) hes a great outball in big games and europe due to his first touch and dribbling. Domestically i think he can be replaced with someone who could bring the same goals and assists though. Will miss watching him and think he will end up a mainstay in the southampton team.

It’s the perfect model for us now, buy cheap, a few good seasons, move on for a decent profit then repeat (hopefully)

Back