First Goal again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penilee Gers

Again as we did in last years campaign we lose the first goal in some games and we then have to break down backs to the wall defending if we dont lose the first goal i think we win these games comfortably i know that some games last year we take the lead Hearts Motherwell and Ross county springs to mind and we dont hold on but this year i think we will be better at taking the lead and either hold on or adding to it .

Hope you're correct. We got the win but it certainly wasn't convincing. Livi are always a difficult team to beat, especially at home. Hopefully the new players will start to gell and we'll tighten up at the back. Given Soutar's family bereavement I don't think he should have played. Easy to say in hindsight of course.

I thought we started the game well. Tav had whipped a cross in that just missed Kent at the back post, Kamara had a chance to cushion one off to Colak open in the box then Livi scored and we took a while to get back in our stride.
Fair enough, I don’t think we registered a shot on target in the 1st half and they score with their first attack(boot up the park) again something I feel happens to often.

I thought we started the game well. Tav had whipped a cross in that just missed Kent at the back post, Kamara had a chance to cushion one off to Colak open in the box then Livi scored and we took a while to get back in our stride.
Kent should have been awarded a penalty in the first half and if Colak's goal had been given the result would have looked very different

Slow start, then comedy defending… goal! Happened so often last season and really needs to be cut out!

Pointless possession to start the game. Passing it back and forth across the back line. When we do pass it forward whoever gets it passes it straight back. Its as if we're playing for a no scoring draw. All we're doing is wasting time. Precious time.

It's down to us starting games at snails pace while the opposition is fired up and coming at us 100 mph.
It winds me up that we always start games the same way, trying to control possession and knocking it about at the back while our opponents are closing down like mad men.

Was like watching a re run of last season. Huge amounts of pointless possession and going through large chunks of the game creating nothing.

we have conceded in every game we have played so far this season,and more concerning is that we have given up cheap goals in every one of those games,
This is something we really need to improve on. The base 55 was built on was clean sheets. We need to sharpen up at the back.

3 of our next 4 league games are at home vs lower 6 teams.

Hopefully no stupid goals conceded.

I agree with this. However i would start with Sands at LCB from the start next time as he looked so much more comfortable.

It's a terrible habit we have to shake off if we're going to win the league.

I really hope Davies is the business, if not we're in trouble through the left side of defence.

We are very weak at the back.

If we have to play John Souttar as left CB most of the season we are absolutely f*cked.

Bullied like a wee lassie from that big boy from livi.

Three points and it is one of our [maximum] four adventures on the plastic out of the way.

That's all I am taking from it really. Tuesday evening's game will be more enlightening.

Fingers cross Yilmaz and Davies come in and are up to speed straight away and fit in seamlessly, that left hand side if defence will be an issue until those two are bedded in.

A few games under their belt with Matona and Tillman buzzing about up top and i will be a much happier bear

I would not judge anyone on that pitch in the first game of the season. We got some rust off and put in a great second half. The bigger worry for me is the start the officials have made. One game in and a potential game changing decision already.
Let’s see when we have a settled back four for the first time in a season before we panic.

The goal we lost was school bay stuff. Their striker was a handful, but we should have done far better defensively. Even McLaughlin caught off his line, to think the stick McGregor gets for not!

Probably the hardest opening game you can get in all honesty. Abomination of a pitch alongside with their tactics doesn't make for an exciting game.

In saying that I thought we were far too one dimensional in that we were just punting aimless balls into the box far too much.

I keep seeing people blaming Souttar and McGlaughlin about the goal, and I get it.
Why is Borna not getting more stick for his part.
If he challenges at all, the ball possibly doesn’t get flicked on, for some reason he runs back the way.
Tav had a go at him and even Gio alluded to it in his interview.
If there is one area of the team I worry about it’s left back, while defending,not so much going forward.
When the new left back is up to speed I think Borna will find himself second choice.

A while being nearly an hour , we won’t be afforded that luxury every week.

Was a feature of last season, we started off turning games around like yesterday until we didn’t any more when it mattered.

We have an enduring habit of conceding against dross with their first opportunity of the game.

Frustrating bit was because we have a tall striker, there's continual pointless crosses in nowhere near that striker giving up posession.

Was like watching a re run of last season. Huge amounts of pointless possession and going through large chunks of the game creating nothing.

It ain't so easy when 11 men are pretty much defending deep, about 25 yards from their goal.
There's zero space to try and play through, or in behind them.

The fact that the pitch was as dry as a stick and it was impossible to shift the ball quickly, didn't help either.

Getting 3 points at Livingston, particularly as it was our 1st competitive game of the season, was all that mattered.
It's not an easy start to the season.

It's no coincidence that celtic have won once there, in their last 9 visits.

We will be sharper and benefit hugely, from those 90 minutes.

It's down to us starting games at snails pace while the opposition is fired up and coming at us 100 mph.
It winds me up that we always start games the same way, trying to control possession and knocking it about at the back while our opponents are closing down like mad men.

Bang on. The opposition is more likely to score first as we dont appear to want to. Loads of pointless possession, mainly in our own half, is simply wasting time. Next thing the opposition score and now we're in a rush.

Was a feature of last season, we started off turning games around like yesterday until we didn’t any more when it mattered.

We have an enduring habit of conceding against dross with their first opportunity of the game.

Id like to see the stats of when we score in comparison to other teams.

It's a terrible habit we have to shake off if we're going to win the league.

I really hope Davies is the business, if not we're in trouble through the left side of defence.

We are very weak at the back.

And yet we've "strengthened".

The goal we lost was school bay stuff. Their striker was a handful, but we should have done far better defensively. Even McLaughlin caught off his line, to think the stick McGregor gets for not!

When Souttar got turned JM charged towards the ball then stopped. Gave Nouble the opportunity to lob him with the first time shot.

Had he stayed put and the boy had to take a touch then Goldson would have got across.

Was a mistake from JM.

Most of our crosses are overhit.

We seemed to be trying to hit the back post for a knock down or cut back.

First half we didn't have enough players getting into the box to occupy their defenders so it was easy for them to defend. Big difference in that in the 2nd half.

Id like to see the stats of when we score in comparison to other teams.

We score a lot more than we concede so I'm pretty sure we will have more goals scored in every period of the game than our opponents score against us.

Individual errors cost us the Title. A slew of them lead directly to dropped points.

I had hoped we would sort this out but seems still some work to be done.
Individual “errors”cost is the title at Tyncastle, Ross county and Pittodrie
Unfortunately they were made by match officials

The ground Bassey covered as a left sided centre back as well as Borna’s decline in fitness is there for all to see every game and nearly every goal we’ve conceded or looked weak in is down the left hand side of defence out wide and central.

Really hope Davies can get fit and be a main stay in there.

There were plenty of positives from Saturday, particularly the way we turned the game around in the second half. I think there was far more to be happy about than negatives.

Of course we'll lose the first goal in some games, that's football. This squad has shown on numerous occasions that it's able to deal with that. The games we can legitimately criticise last season in terms of costing us the league were the ones at home where we failed to consolidate leads - Hearts, Motherwell, Celtic. You'll almost always have some stinkers away.

I’m sure GvB does. Going 1-0 down early doors to clogggers like Livingston results in a dog fight when it really shouldn’t.

The defending for their goal was pathetic.
Defending was awful, I agree, and, ideally, we don't want to lose the first goal in any game.

But, at the end of the day, all that matters is scoring one more than the opposition and winning all 3 points.

Just win, who scores first is irrelevant.

We score a lot more than we concede so I'm pretty sure we will have more goals scored in every period of the game than our opponents score against us.

I didnt explain myself properly. I mean Id like to see the stats of when we score our first goal as opposed to when ALL other teams score their first goal. Not just when they're playing against us.

The ground Bassey covered as a left sided centre back as well as Borna’s decline in fitness is there for all to see every game and nearly every goal we’ve conceded or looked weak in is down the left hand side of defence out wide and central.

Really hope Davies can get fit and be a main stay in there.

A big big miss. Bassey was a powerhouse. Borna is a wimp in comparison.

It ain't so easy when 11 men are pretty much defending deep, about 25 yards from their goal.
There's zero space to try and play through, or in behind them.

The fact that the pitch was as dry as a stick and it was impossible to shift the ball quickly, didn't help either.

Getting 3 points at Livingston, particularly as it was our 1st competitive game of the season, was all that mattered.
It's not an easy start to the season.

It's no coincidence that celtic have won once there, in their last 9 visits.

We will be sharper and benefit hugely, from those 90 minutes.

We know that teams will park the bus but we don’t seem to do anything to change our tactics . We are forever wasting the first half of games and end up having to up in the second half to dig a win out.

All these teams know we will pass the ball side to side then out wide for a cross in. We need to go through the middle more to suck players in to then go wide

We know that teams will park the bus but we don’t seem to do anything to change our tactics . We are forever wasting the first half of games and end up having to up in the second half to dig a win out.

All these teams know we will pass the ball side to side then out wide for a cross in. We need to go through the middle more to suck players in to then go wide

I've seen better teams than Rangers struggle with low blocks (City and Liverpool plenty last season) and on slick, fast passing surfaces too.

Everything you try to do on that pitch is in slow motion, due to the ball control issues and the ball constantly sticking in the pitch.

There's a reason they don't water the pitch, as they know it slows down our quick passing game and brings us down a level.

I'm always just glad to get out of there with 3 points, as like I said, celtic normally don't.

I keep seeing people blaming Souttar and McGlaughlin about the goal, and I get it.
Why is Borna not getting more stick for his part.
If he challenges at all, the ball possibly doesn’t get flicked on, for some reason he runs back the way.
Tav had a go at him and even Gio alluded to it in his interview.
If there is one area of the team I worry about it’s left back, while defending,not so much going forward.
When the new left back is up to speed I think Borna will find himself second choice.
Not defending BB but perhaps he didn't feel he could win it and was perhaps trying to anticipate the second ball. Souttar has to be stronger, he got rolled and outmuscled more than once in the game.

Individual “errors”cost is the title at Tyncastle, Ross county and Pittodrie
Unfortunately they were made by match officials
Are you saying that our players didn't cost us the points in many of our games last year and that officials are solely to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back