Another defeat for villa

Sorry mate. But saying I lived there and saying they are huge doesn’t answer my question. Why are they huge?

Please correctly if I’m wrong. But. They won some major honours in the 80’s (40 years ago). They one some domestic honours in the 90’s (30 years ago). They have a stadium about half of that of major clubs.

I don’t know the number of trophies won in comparison but is there any real difference between the history of Aberdeen and villa?
Their support makes them a big club. It doesn't sound like much but they're by far the best supported club in the west Midlands which itself is a population of about 3 million. Birmingham, Wolves and even Coventry had decent sized supports as well mind you.

Their support makes them a big club. It doesn't sound like much but they're by far the best supported club in the west Midlands which itself is a population of about 3 million. Birmingham, Wolves and even Coventry had decent sized supports as well mind you.
Sorry mate. But that made me laugh. :D

They are huge because they have a bigger fan base than Birmingham, wolves and (fucking) Coventry!?!

Come on!! Lol

An aberdeen with a worse accent (Just)

Sorry mate. But that made me laugh. :D

They are huge because they have a bigger fan base than Birmingham, wolves and (fucking) Coventry!?!

Come on!! Lol

An aberdeen with a worse accent (Just)
They're not a big club because they have a bigger support than Wolves, Birmingham and Coventry but because they have a genuinely big support.

Although I don't think there's much in it when you take away Liverpool, United and Arsenal.

None of the supposed 'big clubs' outwith those 3 are as big as ours.

Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham, Everton, Villa, Leeds and Newcastle are big clubs in their own right but not as big as us or, and I hate to say it, the scum.

Leaving the Gerrard is a legend or not argument to one side for a moment, wtf is Scott Parker wearing?

He has form for it, why is he allowed to manage in the EPL!

FZgxOzDWIAIvrL6

Souness left us in 1991 when we were a few games off trying to win 4 in a row. There is not the same ill feeling amongst some of our support toward Souness that there is toward Gerrard. In fact Souness is lauded, applauded, and placed on a pedestal with our support.

Both Souness and Gerrard's restored our reputation and position after long periods in the doldrums.

So maybe time is a great healer.

I want to see Gerrard do well, he gave me one of the best seasons of my life after the decade we had been through.

However I feel he jumped at the first club that came along and looking at his record, 10 wins. 13 draws 15 defeats it doesn't look good for him
He would have been better staying at Ibrox and proving he really had us back on top. However, I’m guessing he didn’t think he could do it and was worried about the consequences. Being fired from the Rangers job wouldn’t look good in his quest to be Liverpool manager.

Some familiar criticisms on that Villa forum.

Tactically weak without Beale, a good talker but not necessarily doing what he says, bombing unwanted players into the u21s.

He's spent £74,000,000 since January, recouped about half that in sales, fallen out with his captain then stripped him of the captaincy for unknown reasons and lost in the first game of the season convincingly against a newly promoted side tipped for the drop.

Seems like it's spiralling.

I don't think he's going to be the first to go, but he'll be sacked before the World Cup knowing the Villa owners.

Souness left us in 1991 when we were a few games off trying to win 4 in a row. There is not the same ill feeling amongst some of our support toward Souness that there is toward Gerrard. In fact Souness is lauded, applauded, and placed on a pedestal with our support.

Both Souness and Gerrard's restored our reputation and position after long periods in the doldrums.

So maybe time is a great healer.

The massive difference is Souness went to Liverpool, if Gerrard had done that fair dos, would have been a bit annoyed at the timing, but it was the team he captained. But he went to Villa and their mid table mediocrity.

I will always be grateful to Gerrard that he eventually led us to the title - with Rangers attitude and pride.

Hated the classless way he left tho' - I would've expected better and a bit more bravery and honesty.

I don't mind seeing Aston Villa struggle with all their millions wasted.
Steven Gerrard is never getting the Liverpool gig now and that makes me smirk:cool: !
He will already be missing us much more than we miss him. Tough.

He would have been better staying at Ibrox and proving he really had us back on top. However, I’m guessing he didn’t think he could do it and was worried about the consequences. Being fired from the Rangers job wouldn’t look good in his quest to be Liverpool manager.

Bollocks.

He wasn't backed in the summer which left a sour taste for him and whether you agree or not, Aston Villa are a decent Premier League club and he thought it could be a stepping stone to the Liverpool job.

To think that a guy like Gerrard was worried about not being able to do a job with us is laughable. He took the job on as a rookie manager after only previously managing under 18s.

Bollocks.

He wasn't backed in the summer which left a sour taste for him and whether you agree or not, Aston Villa are a decent Premier League club and he thought it could be a stepping stone to the Liverpool job.

To think that a guy like Gerrard was worried about not being able to do a job with us is laughable. He took the job on as a rookie manager after only previously managing under 18s.
If I was Gerrard, I’d have made that move as well.

I’m crushing the blue tinted specs saying that. But going by where he came from, what he achieved, what was happening at the time and what he wants - it wa a sensible choice.

Which nature is that?

Warburton, maybe…

Gerrard not sure?
I think it was him making that female presenter look small and stupid with his arrogant "do I look happy?" put down, then not long later slinking out the door quarter way through the season just before a big Hampden cup game.

I'll of course always be thankful for 55 and bringing our respect back in Europe.

I think it was him making that female presenter look small and stupid with his arrogant "do I look happy?" put down, then not long later slinking out the door quarter way through the season just before a big Hampden cup game.

I'll of course always be thankful for 55 and bringing our respect back in Europe.
You can be happy and still take a new, better paying job

Maybe for us plebs but he has £75 million in his bank so surely money wasn't a factor going to an eternal mid table mediocrity team?
The league they were in was probably a factor, being close to his family, the backing he gets from his board and if you think the amount of money hes making isn’t a factor then I don’t know what to tell you. You don’t just stop caring about your wages when you hit a certain level of wealth I would assume.

Not looking great for them fixture wise. Think he has rubbed a few the wrong way with his caption change also. Mings is very well liked down there.

If he doesn’t win against Everton he’ll have his hands full to get his team back on track.

He could be one of the first to go.

I reckon he'll still stroll into the Liverpool job after Klopp is away just on name alone.

He restored some pride for us, got us performing in Europe then won the league and stopped 9.5 in a row.

I wasn't happy with him leaving in the way that he did but we got a better manager in and were unfortunate not to retain the league. If Gerrard had still be in charge then we wouldn't have made the EL Final. We might not have agreed at the time but it was the right time for him to go.

He must absolutely regret his choice to leave us, money aside.. He's been on record saying he loves the demand to win matches, Aston Villa was a bizarre move tbh.
He won't regret it if he gets the Liverpool or England job

But if not? Damn right he will. He will never have it as good as he did with us IMO.

Gerrard got pretty arrogant quite quickly after he left when you look back to some of the interviews at Villa. He’s a legend up here as far as I am concerned, and deserves so much credit for effectively building one of the best European Rangers’ sides I might ever see.

However, Beale was taking our training quite a lot and the reason our player trading model never fully kicked in was due to Gerrards refusal to sell some key players. Maybe he was feeling the pressure of stopping 10/delivering general success, and he got it right eventually. The thing that really winds me up is that I don’t think we’d of lost the League last year if he stayed.

I’d of understood leaving for a club that you can actually “win” at. Villa are Villa, it doesn’t suit him.

He won’t get the time but I’m still thankful for SG as without him we would be a team fighting to see who finished 2nd or 3rd so good luck to Stevie G

Watched the whole game.
Villa were sluggish and had no ideas in the final third, and their defending for the goals was embarrassing.
Especially the second where Moore got a free header and was in acres of space.
They were bullied by a large physical Bournemouth side and their manager won the tactical battle.
Coutinho could cost Gerrard his job - flatters to deceive and his work rate off the ball is zilch.

Last edited:
The massive difference is Souness went to Liverpool, if Gerrard had done that fair dos, would have been a bit annoyed at the timing, but it was the team he captained. But he went to Villa and their mid table mediocrity.
Different eras.
Nowadays the chances of a Rangers manager, who has only managed in the SPL, going straight to Liverpool is zilch.

Hes done a superb job thus far with Villa, the quickness with which hes improved the team and squad along with the quality of said signings is reminiscent of his Rangers impact.

Anyone thinking Villa, or any club outside the Top 6, are going to win week in week out in the EPL knows nowt.

If youre honest about his situation, Gerrard has taken over a potentially huge club that had stagnated for years and years. Already they look really good and a few loses or draws does not discount his clear progress.

They will be fine and Id expect a Top-half finish for them this season.

Conversely, any Rangers fan wanting Gerrard to do poorly should get a grip. Hes a Rangers Legend and Icon for all he did for us at a time very few others were interested in helping and what we have had over the last few years would never have taken place without him.

Show some respect and appreciation please.

Sorry mate. But saying I lived there and saying they are huge doesn’t answer my question. Why are they huge?

Please correctly if I’m wrong. But. They won some major honours in the 80’s (40 years ago). They one some domestic honours in the 90’s (30 years ago). They have a stadium about half of that of major clubs.

I don’t know the number of trophies won in comparison but is there any real difference between the history of Aberdeen and villa?
Villa have a much bigger support. Aberdeen are toytown by comparison.

Back