Should Allan McGregor Start on Tuesday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly Loyal

Nothing against McLaughlin btw, I have a degree of confidence in him as our No1.

But with Shaggers experience and undoubted excellence over recent years in Europe, especially in last seasons run to the Final do you think Gio may opt for him in goal for the vital 2nd leg game v the Belgians?

I hope so.

Mcgregor needs to be playing constantly to be no 1 at his age hes not a one in one our gk , its a mistake by coaching staff ultimately Mcgregor should have been let go and new no 1 brought in not a second choice no 2
Doesn't need to be playing constantly at all, silly comment.

Wtf has McGlaughlin actually done wrong? He could maybe have done better with 1 goal this season. Its only a maybe as well. So why would he be cast out for a guy who made multiple mistakes last season?

Maybe McGlaughlin isnt the long term solution, but of the 2 options we have, hes by far in the better form

I really don’t think McLaughlin is good enough to be Rangers no1 keeper, when you think of the class acts that have gone before him McGregor, Klos, Goram. I don’t think he’s better than Niemi. As much as I like McLaughlin we’ve not found McGregors replacement yet.

Last edited:
I don't get this narrative that McLaughlin isn't an able keeper. His clean sheet record for us is excellent. I don't recall him making consistent howlers. You could argue he could have done better with the first goal against USG but no keeper is perfect. McGregor conceded many goals last season that you would expect him to save. For me McLaughlin deserves his chance at least to the January window where we can then reassess.

Should he %^*&.
McGregor was finished last season, he cost us the league with the basic errors, bare minimum 8 points.
McLaughlin has done nothing to deserve to be dropped.
I've seen folk on here blame him for the goal at Livi, that was Barasic and Souter not doing their job, he can't be blamed for that.
Tuesday was on Jack and Barasic, they got bullied and the ball got cut back, guy blasted the shot and it deflected past McLaughlin wasn't a massive deflection but it was the thing that sees the ball go into our net.
I've seen McGregor concede and get beaten by worse last season.

Can’t help but laugh at the hypocrisy on here

Some don’t think McLaughlin is good enough to be number 1 yet want McGregor to be reinstated despite his awful form of last season where he single handedly cost us probably minimum 10 points in the league with error after error

Irony isn’t lost either given McGregor ought to have done better with Malmö’s second at Ibrox IMO. The ball was hit just off centre and he took forever going down to it. Sure Balogun got turned too easily but the McGregor of old saves that

No on MaGregor but McLaughlin makes me nervous it’s almost fingers crossed and hope he can deliver the level we need

We don’t really know how good McLaughlin is yet. He has to be given a run of games to prove his worth. He punched the ball off a Killy players forehead late on yesterday which McGregor potentially may have been reluctant to do on last years evidence?

Great back up but time for Big John to take his chance.

This whole argument is going to be a stain on our entire season. If we could somehow make the CL, it could become irrelevant if we sign a goalkeeper.
I’ve got huge concerns that this is going to be a theme throughout the season and could potentially cost us success

This is exactly the reason I didn’t want McGregor retained. Every mistake will have fans asking for him to come back into the team despite the fact that everybody knows he will concede goals due to staying on his line.

We have 3 goalkeepers in the squad and not one of them is good enough to play for us. It’s a massive concern.

No, unless a new keeper is signed McLaughlin is no 1 for the season. Changing the goalie constantly will only make matters worse.

When any player like McGregor goes out of the team/club, I want Rangers to upgrade & McLaughlin is clearly not that, however I thought he would be fine as a first choice & deserved his chance, but I must admit am getting more nervous by the week, but still wouldn’t drop him for Tuesday.

I really don’t think McLaughlin is good enough to be Rangers no1 keeper, when you think of the class acts that have gone before him McGregor, Klos, Goram. I don’t think he’s better than Niemi. As much as I like McLaughlin I don’t think we’ve found McGregors replacement yet.
To me the priority was a keeper I would have thanked McGregor and let him go and told McLaughlin that he was welcome to stay as a back up and given him the option to go. I’d have then looked to sign a top class keeper on loan or permanent with McCrorie as back up.

McLaughlin concedes a goal, McGregor would have saved that.
McGregor starts, doesn't come off his line, kicks ball repeatedly out park, bring back McLaughlin and repeat .
We need to either just run with McLaughlin now or club must accept that they made a mistake not retiring McGregor and getting a new No 1 keeper in.
In my opinion of course !

Simple answer is No, McLaughlin is our new number one. In hindsight we should have let mcgregor go and bring in a new keeper instead of a one year extension but we didn't.

What if we bring in mcgregor and he has a stinking game costing us the next round. Where do we go from there? Back to McLaughlin??

We'd end up going round in circles (unless we get a new keeper)

Nothing against McLaughlin btw, I have a degree of confidence in him as our No1.

But with Shaggers experience and undoubted excellence over recent years in Europe, especially in last seasons run to the Final do you think Gio may opt for him in goal for the vital 2nd leg game v the Belgians?

I hope so.
No thanks.

Robby McCrorie should be our domestic cup keeper, needs to play to see what hes got

I don't get this narrative that McLaughlin isn't an able keeper. His clean sheet record for us is excellent. I don't recall him making consistent howlers. You could argue he could have done better with the first goal against USG but no keeper is perfect. McGregor conceded many goals last season that you would expect him to save. For me McLaughlin deserves his chance at least to the January window where we can then reassess.

Do you recall McLaughlin ever making a wonder save/game defining save?

Blame the two defenders for the goal at Livingston but where was McLaughlin going?

Against Union he made saves any decent keeper makes and a good keeper saves the first goal even with that slight deflection.

Yesterday his distribution was dreadful. Long balls especially and he almost gifted Kilmarnock a goal.

Not a number 1 and it will show through out the season. McGregor should have retired with a keeper brought in.

I would have shagger playing every time,i think his time is coming to an end but he's still better than McLaughlin.

We really need to go out there and find a new number 1 tho.
His time came to an end well over a year ago but you are right regarding the second part but we might not have had the funds last year but certainly have them now.
I’ll say it again Jon should have had his chance last year and management have fucked up big time giving Allan a new contract imo.
Does Allan play the next game, well if you want to put the fear back into our back line at corners free kicks fill your boots cause I’ll certainly have my eyes covered .

There is really not much between them, McLaughlin has not looked comfortable since he became number 1

A good goalkeeper potentially gets you 10-15 points a season. We can’t really say we have that just now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back