Man Utd finished as a force for the forceable future?

I think you're right and for one reason: Antonio Conte.

Conte was jobless and practically begging for the Manchester United job (A few months after winning Serie A with Inter) whilst Solskjaer's United were getting battered by Leicester & Liverpool.

Those defeats were fireable offences, it was over at that point but they let him limp on in the job until they were beaten by City and then smashed by Watford.

Conte had signed for Spurs and was already starting to get a tune out of a side looking like they were going into terminal decline.

I think if they hired Conte and gave him the backing Spurs have given him, they'd have turned it around incredibly quickly.

But they'd never hire someone as abrasive as Conte. Levy and Spurs want to win things and actually give a shit about football, Manchester United is basically a bank for an NFL Franchise and a Billionaire family.
So much so that they sacked Jose Mourinho in the build up to a cup final and put Ryan Mason against Pep

I mean cmon surely they should be offering Tottenham the house for Kane but I really don’t think they have the pull to get him away from Spurs.

An amazing fall from Fergie.

Brighton manager next up for me if the Ex Ajax manager can’t do it and let him build
City get Haaland & United go for Arnautovic - that's quite a gap in quality & ambition.

There are still far too many poor players in their team & squad as a whole - they need fortunes spent on it

It's hard to believe that this was a team who were a power house in world football who could've signed anyone they wanted.

Now we see a club who is debt ridden, has a very average squad and becoming a laughing stock.

Was it not happening slightly before that?
They had been on the slide during the last few years of his reign. They had been playing guys that had been squad players in previous years. Guys that weren't really good enough became first team players and they then bought worse squad players to replace them.

They need a full overhaul of their squad. They are miles behind City, Liverpool, Chelsea.

Have utd ever went out and got one of the best managers of the time?

Was Ferguson one of the best at the time?

Ole, Van Gaal, Ten Haag ? All average to good but not great.

Mourinho the best they have had by a mile and they binned him.

Signing Mourinho as manager in the first place was the mistake there.

Like Benitez at Everton, it had a "this ends in disaster" feeling about it.
Mourinho at least had them winning trophies and they finished second under him did they not.

Trouble is the Glazers, who couldn’t give a toss about trophies as long as the turnover remains high and the dividends associated with profit keep rolling in each season.

They saddled the club with debt they used to purchase the club and material amounts of that debt remain owed - costing them millions each season just service said debt.

On the pitch, they are miles off it. This new manager needs to be given time to get it right.

They missed a trick not going for Conte, or not convincing him to join when they had the chance.

For a mere 40million, just half of Harry Maguire, they can have Kamara and Alfie to rejuvenate their midfield and forward line. We will even throw in Simpson, Katic and Borna for another 10 as back ups.

This is a one time offer.

Man Utd main problem has been failure to back their managers. Moyes hardly got any of his first choice players and when you consider Man Utd had lost most of their back 4 that made it even worse. I remember a paper publishing Moyes transfer wish list and it would have made a good team (not collection of individuals). Jose didn't get backed by the board and i feel Pogba was more a board signing than a Jose signing ie lets make lots of merchandising sales pretty much the way Ronaldo was a printing money signing. Club is a total basket case and shows what happens when your owners pull out the same amount of money that your noisy neighbours get invested in them. It's going to take Man Utd to land the next manager responsible for the next tactical revolution in football to become successful again so probably another 10-20 years.

He figured out their squad and they binned him for it.

No doubt his final season at them was poor but he won them a couple of trophies and finished 2nd with them.

Exactly Jose had figured out Pogba but Man Utd had too much merchandising revenue riding on Pogba so it was easier to bin the manager than the player. That worked out well for them.

For a mere 40million, just half of Harry Maguire, they can have Kamara and Alfie to rejuvenate their midfield and forward line. We will even throw in Simpson, Katic and Borna for another 10 as back ups.

Dont think we can do without Alfie 30m for the other 4

They had been on the slide during the last few years of his reign. They had been playing guys that had been squad players in previous years. Guys that weren't really good enough became first team players and they then bought worse squad players to replace them.

They need a full overhaul of their squad. They are miles behind City, Liverpool, Chelsea.
Ferguson signing Van Persie and bringing back Scholes was genius in his final season.

Exactly Jose had figured out Pogba but Man Utd had too much merchandising revenue riding on Pogba so it was easier to bin the manager than the player. That worked out well for them.
Not just Pogba. Martial, Shaw, Bailly, Rashford.

All current players who Mourinho figured out yet they’re still at the club, but I suppose it is easier binning a manager then a few players.

If your starting 11 contains Scott Mctominay and Fred in the middle of the park you ain't winning shit in the England. Add Marcus Rashford up front and Maguire at the back. They are very average players at that level and they're in key positions. They're so easy to play through. Hopeless.

They won’t make the top 6 this season.
They'll be lucky to make the Top 10.
My youngest supports them and I told her weeks ago not to get her hopes up, this new guy will need a couple of seasons to get the dead wood out and impose a new styling play. After that I'm revising it to about 10 years. Maguire - if that's a fucking footballer, I'm Brad Pitt

I think they need to stop looking at quick success, and pick a guy and give him the seasons he needs to turn it around. Swapping manager every year doesn't help.

They are 3 or 4 years from even contemplating challenging, the manager looks to be in it for the long haul, so they have no option to overhaul the squad. The likes of Maguire, Fred, McTominay, Rashford all need replaced.

Reactions: VGM
They'll be lucky to make the Top 10.
My youngest supports them and I told her weeks ago not to get her hopes up, this new guy will need a couple of seasons to get the dead wood out and impose a new styling play. After that I'm revising it to about 10 years. Maguire - if that's a fucking footballer, I'm Brad Pitt
10 years if at all.
No guarantees.
No CL for a few years, sponsors mot paying the same cash, Far East fans swapping teams.
Could all go bad.

It's at least a 5 year project and that requires City and Liverpool to get worse and them to get their transfers right.

They need a CEO to come in and rebuild the club and the football department and not give former players DoF gigs. Get experienced people who have a track record and begin the process of overhauling the squad over the next two to three transfer windows.

Look at the price that Bissouma went for to Tottenham. Better than what they've and then some.

I think they’ll struggle badly this season. Wrong choice for manager and then the disruptive influence of Ronaldo and a guy brought in to score goals but who is apparently more interested in school dinners.
More mediocrity to ensue for the time being.

10 years if at all.
No guarantees.
No CL for a few years, sponsors mot paying the same cash, Far East fans swapping teams.
Could all go bad.
I've been saying much the same for years: they think the sponsors they make so much off the field from, will want their names associated with that pish? Everything that is wrong with modern football that lot

Many older Bears will recognise the similarities between what's happened to them since Fergie retired and what happened after Matt Busby stood down. After Busby went they could never hit the same heights that he did and they went through manager after manager trying to do so. They occasionally had a good run in the FA Cup but were never anywhere near the title until Fergie arrived in their midst. Even at that point, Fergie's arse would have been 'oot the windae' had he lost an extremely important FA Cup tie against Nottingham Forest. Fortunately for Fergie, Mark Robbins got him a winner that day. United's nadir after Busby's departure was their eventual relegation (which yer man here predicted would happen rwo years before it actually did). I'm not saying that that's what will happen again but the parallels are there. The owners and supporters are going to have to grasp that there is no magic bullet to success and that they will need to give a manager a few years to get things right. Fergie got a break on that day when they beat Forest. They went on from there to win the FA Cup. Their new manager is either going to need be given time by the owners or need to have the same luck that Fergie had.

Been finished for years. Fergie made a conscious effort to leave before their downward turn.

Was pretty obvious for months Ten Hag was coming. They had ages to prepare. And it looks like They have made an arse of this transfer window.

All the eggs in the De Jong basket and haven’t managed to get him.
Complete uncertainty on the Ronaldo situation as well. They’d be as well keeping him now, he’ll at least get goals against the Fulham’s and Forest’s of the world.

A completely basket case of a club. As pointed out earlier in the thread, they had Conte pretty much begging for the job last Autumn and turned their noses up at him.

I don’t see Ten Hag being the man to gotoe-to-toe with Klopp and Pep. Suspect he’ll be lucky to see 18 months in the job and they’ll be back to square one.

I have absolutely no fucking idea why you say they can have Alfie, let alone as part of a cheap package with Kamara. But maybe it is just me.

Anyway, I think Alfie is vital for us and I hope he stays for a long time yet.

Many older Bears will recognise the similarities between what's happened to them since Fergie retired and what happened after Matt Busby stood down. After Busby went they could never hit the same heights that he did and they went through manager after manager trying to do so. They occasionally had a good run in the FA Cup but were never anywhere near the title until Fergie arrived in their midst. Even at that point, Fergie's arse would have been 'oot the windae' had he lost an extremely important FA Cup tie against Nottingham Forest. Fortunately for Fergie, Mark Robbins got him a winner that day. United's nadir after Busby's departure was their eventual relegation (which yer man here predicted would happen rwo years before it actually did). I'm not saying that that's what will happen again but the parallels are there. The owners and supporters are going to have to grasp that there is no magic bullet to success and that they will need to give a manager a few years to get things right. Fergie got a break on that day when they beat Forest. They went on from there to win the FA Cup. Their new manager is either going to need be given time by the owners or need to have the same luck that Fergie had.
I remember that game. Forest still had a formidable side and were favourites to win the tie. A lot of United fans were already calling for Ferguson’s head, and as you say, had they lost that night, he’d have been out the door the very next day. Palace should still have beaten them in the cup final though and I wonder if he would have survived such a loss.

I can’t see Man U winning another title for at least another 10 years. They went best part of 25 years before Ferguson won them the title in 1992 and it will be another similar time period before they win again.

Ten Hag clearly has no faith in the Utd scouting team already.

So far he's signed 2 of his ex players and a guy from the Eredivisie. The two other players they are after are De Jong, another ex player, and Arnautovic who played under Steve McLaren.

What are the scouting team even doing?
Probably sitting in the boot room, cracking beers and telling stories about beating Keegan 25 years ago and it's probably the best use of their time to be honest. The manager has blinkers for Frenkie de Jong, who would rather stay at a complete basket case of a club that owe him £17m and don't want him, after 3 months of a 'pursuit'.

Besides, I don't know how they can have a team so bloated, but with a complete lack of options. You could make a decent 3-4-2-1 first XI with maybe a couple of subs but after that it's a shambles

De Gea - Martinez, Maguire, Varane - Shaw, McTominay, Eriksen, Dalot - Fernandes, Sancho - Ronaldo.

They need a Striker, a Right Wing-back, a hard working bastard in midfield because that McTominay-Eriksen is soft as shite and probably another defender. Then if Ronaldo chucks it, you'd need another striker as well

It's a mess.

Signing Mourinho as manager in the first place was the mistake there.

Like Benitez at Everton, it had a "this ends in disaster" feeling about it.
He had they most success off any United manager since fegie left.

He sussed out the problem and United didn't back him' he wanted rid of the likes of Pogba and lindgard who are more interested in their online brand than actually winning things. Had they let him get rid of the imposters I believe he would have got them back to top dogs.

I was born in 65 and once i became interested in football Man Utd were a below average team who eventually got relegated and would pop up in the odd cup final but never considered title contenders.they were famous for their support but not in a good way.

He had they most success off any United manager since fegie left.

He sussed out the problem and United didn't back him' he wanted rid of the likes of Pogba and lindgard who are more interested in their online brand than actually winning things. Had they let him get rid of the imposters I believe he would have got them back to top dogs.
Probably should have specified "Spurs signing Mourinho" as it was replying to a bit about him getting sacked on the eve of a Cup Final.

Manchester United Mourinho was good albeit the football was dull. His signings were all massive fee's and misses for the most part.

Back