Man Utd finished as a force for the forceable future?

Was it £70M on Maguire, what a fuckin diddy.
2dhGBpP.gif

The entitled fans booing at half time in their first game of the season. At least Liverpool dropped points the scabs.

The empire collapsed when Sir Alex retired
It fell to pieces in two parts. The first part was when Alex Ferguson and David Gill retired on the same day.

Ferguson was working with David Gill for at least a decade and the rest of English football was turning their nose up at the "Continental nonsense of Directors of football" when it was clear that Manchester United were using that system throughout their entire dominant period.

They retire and Manchester United fall back onto their own fairytales of "manager does everything" immediately. They don't use a director of football for the following 10 seasons.

The second part was when Moyes disintegrated the coaching and scouting network the moment he walked in the door.

At that point the machine got dismantled and they've been sitting around trying to piece it back together for a decade.

He hand picked his successor, but they weren't prepared to give Moyes the time to make his own mark.

Everything follows from there.

Edit:
In the time since then, those annual under achievers Spurs, have built the most modern football stadium in Europe, and finally have in place a manager who is a serial winner.

Manchester United's place at the top table is no longer assured. Their fans, the hard core "Glazers Out" guys know this, which is why they'll never stop protesting till they're gone.

I'm not a Man U sympathiser, indeed I lean to the Sky Blue side. But I hope the United fans can rid their club of those leeches currently sucking the lifeblood out of their club.

Gary Neville had the cheek to say they didn't want Conte as he doesn't play the Man Utd way haha.

Mourinho was right as well when he said one of his biggest achievements in football was winning silverware with that Man Utd team.

Ferguson was a breaktaking manager but he had far, far too much influence over his successor.

Yeah they are done for a good while. No chance they catch Liverpool or city.

Spurs arsenal and Chelsea are better and Newcastle could soon challenge if they get the expected backing.

Genuinely surprised at the state they are in though, so poorly run for a club that size. Maguire as Captain is near enough unthinkable, and add to that a midfield of Fred and McTominay for what the 3rd year in a row? Just spent 50 million on martinez, surely that money could be better spent elsewhere. Teams a mess.

Well the claim is they are the biggest football club in the world.
I watched the great Liverpool sides of old and never thought they would falter.
Man U are going into the wilderness like they did all those years ago!
They’re already there.

That's not true, Haaland deal will cost City about £85m, Fred was almost half of that
I think it’s actually more than that mate, German media reckon over 120 with agent and family fees however!

I can see them really struggling this season, it’s getting past the point where all the quality players have been mopped up and teams won’t sell unless it’s ridiculous money.

They need at least 5 players and a striker of real quality and they are not getting that now.

Man Utd of the the past would have done 5 things

Lewandoski or Haaland
Binned Ronaldo
Kuliseveki to piss of spurs
Signed a centre half
Not re hire shteeeve

I mean cmon surely they should be offering Tottenham the house for Kane but I really don’t think they have the pull to get him away from Spurs.

An amazing fall from Fergie.

Brighton manager next up for me if the Ex Ajax manager can’t do it and let him build
This would probably be the most random signing there’s been since Advocatt signed Marcus Gayle

They’re already there.
Of course they are but sky can’t be seen to be telling the truth about what has their brand for the best part of 20 years.

To be fair it’s a strange one but they are done and Liverpool, Man City and Spurs should be out of sight for a good few years.

Then there is Newcastle, you have to imagine they will replicate what Man City and Chelsea have done with the billions being pumped into them

I cant take ten haag seriously. How can any manager come in and keep Harry maguire nevermind as a player but as captain too.

New manager clean slate and he keeps the biggest liability they have. He will be out by Christmas is my bet

I actually think they are a couple of players away from having a decent squad. But they need top quality in those (CM and striker). And they need a set way of playing, an identity.

If they can get that in place then they’d be back challenging for top 4

They've spent a billion since Fergie left. The managers have had backing but they've bought absolute shite and wasted fortunes.
The club has spent money on shite and very rarely got the players the managers wanted. Look at the backing David Moyes and Mourinho got.

I mean cmon surely they should be offering Tottenham the house for Kane but I really don’t think they have the pull to get him away from Spurs.

Brighton manager next up for me if the Ex Ajax manager can’t do it and let him build
Kane is a great player but part of that I think (my opinion only) is the partnership he has with Son. do Man Utd have a player that can link up the way those two do at Spurs?

As an aside, this is the 2nd team Fergie had managed that has fallen after he left them, although I don’t see Man Utd slumping like the sheep did/have

I think its a clever move by the manager in playing the failures of the last couple of seasons. Firstly he doesn't split the dressing room, he's giving the incumbent players the opportunity to go and cement their positions by playing well or enough rope to hang themselves.

Yesterday's performance was terrible. McTominay and Fred are done as starters, the world witnessed it. Maguire wasn't terrible but again wasn't brilliant. Rashford went completely unnoticed.

So the new manager has stuck with the old "United lads" and they've let him down. When they're not playing in a week or 2 he wont get anything from the press or the fans, even if results don't improve.

I believe Ten Haag is a very good coach/manager and he'll turn it around there, he basically needs to show the United support they are no where near as good as they think they are.

I actually think they are a couple of players away from having a decent squad. But they need top quality in those (CM and striker). And they need a set way of playing, an identity.

If they can get that in place then they’d be back challenging for top 4

Their fullback options are honking mate. And we know how vital it is to have class fullbacks / wingbacks these days.

Their squad needed a complete overhaul this summer, Ragnick said as much after Liverpool hammered them. They have a complete lack of genuine quality performers. Watched them yesterday and think I would say only eriksen looked top 4 quality. Around 12 players left in the summer and 3 came in, one of which isn’t seen as better than shaw by the manager. Yesterday should see the end of McTominay & Fred as starters in midfield & rashford up front as he is atrocious. For me they should stop messing about with trying to sign de jong and go get someone else for half the price, likewise Anthony as they are going to need another 5 or 6 players.

The fact they are going for arnautovic says everything though about their planning

I was surprised at some of the players they have kept on & it's a much more competitive league
But you can never write off a club with that much spending power

The main issues that they have is that (a) they spend money terribly and (b) they cannot outspend the league anymore. Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle can all match them or outspend them (c) Managers don't get time to effect meaningful change or build squads these days. No way would have Fergie survived his start at the club if it happened in this era (d) the owners.....enough said.

Serious question, are they skint? I can't understand that move at all.
Its away above my understanding, but i believe when the Glazers bought Utd, they borrowed the money from banks to buy the club, but then to pay back the loan took money from Utd ie tickets sales, merchandise profits etc rather than using any of their own. So in essence draining money from the club year on year to pay the interest. Have read Utd are in debt of around 500 million which being half of what Barcelona are currently in must be f*****g worrying for Utd fans.

Regardless, it will take years for them to ever get back to where they were, winning everything in sight. Unless of course a sugar daddy in the shape of another oil producing country buys them from the Glazers.

As long as they have owners who do not care about the club and only see a sporting institution that is a licence to print money for them, the club will never be at the top.
You would think that the football authorities would have put rules in place to stop the financial misdeeds in the Premiership a long time ago, but I suppose money is all that matters to some.

I guess Steve McClaren was bought in because he speaks Dutch?
Ex Man Utd Assistant as well, see former Motherwell defender form the 90's is also there along with former Ibrox target Benni McCarthy.

As Roy Keane said they will not improve with a midfield of Fred and McTominay.

For a team that have spent over a billion since Fergie left, they have been rather poor.

A modern day Notts Forest just like after they lost Clough, they went into wilderness for years. It looks like going in a similar way for Man U since they lost Fergie. It would be interesting to see what they have spent since Fergie stepped down, as they have declined in a rapid rate of knots. The spectre of a previous great manager is doing them damage.

A modern day Notts Forest just like after they lost Clough, they went into wilderness for years. It looks like going in a similar way for Man U since they lost Fergie. It would be interesting to see what they have spent since Fergie stepped down, as they have declined in a rapid rate of knots. The spectre of a previous great manager is doing them damage.
Over £1B :oops:

I reckon their new manager would have loved to have got rid of the likes of Rashford, Wan Bissaka, Fred, McTominay etc. But he's been too cautious.

He probably thought it would be too much disruption, but he needed to just burn the whole place down and start again.

They don't seem to like playing together, and the players don't seem too excited about the new regime. As long as that continues, he'll not last long. The players there hold all of the power.

I reckon their new manager would have loved to have got rid of the likes of Rashford, Wan Bissaka, Fred, McTominay etc. But he's been too cautious.

He probably thought it would be too much disruption, but he needed to just burn the whole place down and start again.

They don't seem to like playing together, and the players don't seem too excited about the new regime. As long as that continues, he'll not last long. The players there hold all of the power.
He was never going to get the backing to tear the whole thing up. When he got the job it was reported that he would be given £120m to spend. What does that get you down there? One good player, or two half decent players?

They have been a shambles for years. Why did they spend £50m on Wan Bissaka? Statistically the best defensive fullback in the league at Palace but at Utd you are looking for your fullbacks to go forward more often than not. Tav for example would be a far better option at RB than him as he has the skill set for a team looking to play on the front foot.

Cmon yersel, you seriously saying after one game man u are out of running for the league,? Or any competition for that matter.

Are you sane.?

Now if they got put down to the 2nd division like we were then you got a point, otherwise it's a fantasy post.

No longer a top 4 team and unless miracles happen this season they wont be a top 6 team either.

If your starting 11 contains Scott Mctominay and Fred in the middle of the park you ain't winning shit in the England. Add Marcus Rashford up front and Maguire at the back. They are very average players at that level and they're in key positions. They're so easy to play through. Hopeless.
When you hear people in football talking about the need for a strong spine to your team, you’ve just named the Man Utd spine and it’s utter gash.

I never want Alfie to leave but he would be a great signing for that MOB they are so screwed up they cant see it.
Where would Alfie get the service from down there ? There’d be no Tav and their central midfield pairing of Fred and McTominay have to be down there with the worst in that league.

Back