Burnley looking at Sakala. ?

Sorry you're right. 12 goals in 2182 match minutes. A goal every 182 minutes on the pitch, that's not counting assists. Second top last season per minute. So as I said, who is replacing that for a few million?

Penalties don’t count towards assists, but he had that energy to ruffle a few feathers & get us a few, as well as the Tannadice one which somehow wasn’t given.

If we can get a bit of money for him I’d let him go.

Rightly or wrongly Gio clearly prefers Wright as backup on the wing and Colak is ahead of him up top too so he looks surplus to requirements.

If Lawrence is primarily being used in the middle against teams that sit in then I see no reason why Sakala can't provide cover/rotation for the left for those exact games.

I’m in the camp of go out on loan and get a years football under your belt.

Hopefully comes back a more polished player

Saying he doesn’t want to go out on loan is incredibly short sighted on his part and although I get the sentiment of why he is saying it, there are a good few ahead of him now in the pecking order so if he isn’t wanting to go out on loan the club will just move him on permanently. Something that I personally would be a mistake

Take your medicine, go out loan and prove your worth
I don't see why he should go out on loan he is an experienced player and his stats for assists and goals per game ratio are good.If Gio doesent rate him that's his decision although I think the wee man has plenty to offer.

I think we should keep him, can't see us being able to replace him with similar quality for £3 million (yes I know we got Alfie for £1 million). Last thing we need is to be going into the end of the season with no fit strikers again.

I don’t want him to go but Gio doesn’t trust him and now he’s got zero chance of playing his preferred role at CF.

Burnley would be a good move for him to get into the EPL but I feel we never saw the best of him at Rangers if he goes.

Getting someone on a free then making a £3m profit on him a year later is decent business.

But I like him. I hope he stays.
I know in the name of %^*& what do some on here expect from a free, of course he's not going to be a superstar but he clearly is better than any 3 million replacement will offer.

hes a very likeable chap and great energy - but actual fitba awareness skill !!!! , i would say its more down to hard work and determination that gets him by and fair play to the lad for the effort

i just feel as a side we have moved up a gear in more technical ability and thats where he struggles now to fit in - there was times last season you got a sense from the players around him "move into position" etc but he could not see the run he was meant to make or the one / two pass within the team

hes like Itten now, he goes with our best wishes and he will do well else where, but we replace with better quality and its best for the team

Clearly gio doesn’t rate him and I expect his time is up soon. I find that a shame as he’s a player that can come on and make goals happen, which is a particularly useful option when we are playing against a back 10 most weeks. But if he’s not going to be playing there’s no point keeping him. 3M would be a great turnover.

We have replaced him already with Matondo. If he doesn't want to play second best he will have to move on. Over the course of the season he will see game time as I don't like the idea of Tillman bring played wide. Aribo is gone and Hagi is Injured.

Matondo is the level we should have signed last year but we went for the cheap option. It's not paid off 100% but we will make a profit on him if he is sold this year.

His more positive performances have not been missed with certain clubs in Europe.
What's your thoughts on Matondo so far?

Quite a few unimpressed so far

Think he can go up a few more levels?

Would be sad to see him go. Think he could play a big part in the away leg at PSV if we have a narrow lead to defend. His pace on the break could be a lethal weapon as we saw at the piggery last season.
Like Braga etc……

I think we have moved on from the level that Sakala is at which sadly for him is a good thing.

Arfield, Davis, Jack, Wright and to an extent Roofe are the squad players we will keep a hold off

Roy Mackaay no doubt is the go to man with regards to strikers for Gio.
I am guessing they think he cannot improve

If we play to his strengths yes. I think him playing as high as possible will bring the best of him. I think Tillman has the vision and passing ability to find him when Rabbi pulls off or drags the defenders close to him then turns them. If Tillman can play the ball to were Rabbi wants to be rather than his start position he will get goals/assists.

Playing it to his feet is okay but playing it in behind to space for him to run into, no defender will catch him, at home or in Europe.

I believe that's the best tactic to get the best out of both of them.

been here 5 mins, light up the park against W Ham, set up Morelos on saturday and looked dangerous last night - got back quickly to help Tav out a few times last night

hes a more controlled skillful quicker player than Sakala, and thats no detriment to Sakala I like him, its just we are going for more technical players now ;-)

A player I like but he has a few players ahead of him. Just needs to bide his time and take any chance..

I like Sakala and feel he has more to offer. GVB clearly doesn't rate him so it looks inevitable that he will move on. We should be asking for more than 3 million for him imo.

The amount of snobbery on here is mad at times.

Hearing shite about him not fitting a system or being able to take instructions or whatever else. Pish. Aye he's erratic at times, but that's one of his strengths.

When we're facing a low block and need something a bit different to unlock a defence, his pace and directness has caused havoc at times.

A backup attacker who scored 12 and assisted 7 is somehow seen as a bad thing on here. Bizarre.

It’s been obvious for quite a while now that Gio and Rob Mackay don’t trust or rate Sakala. Personally I quite like the wee man as I prefer him to Wright as he has more of an end product contribution than Wright and his goal contribution would be good for the team particularly as Roofe is often out injured for long spells. Technically he is quite poor as we can all see this and is probably the reason why Gio feels he can improve the team with an upgrade. If Burnley are offering us £3m then I think we should take the money and reinvest elsewhere in the team.
Who?

See if Burnley will take him on loan to buy for 1 year.
He either comes back a better all round player and Gio then can better use him,or we get a better fee a year down the line.
Another scenario is Gio moves on next year for whatever reason, we sell or we get him back better for the new gaffer.

Hearing shite about him not fitting a system or being able to take instructions or whatever else. Pish. Aye he's erratic at times, but that's one of his strengths.

When we're facing a low block and need something a bit different to unlock a defence, his pace and directness has caused havoc at times.

A backup attacker who scored 12 and assisted 7 is somehow seen as a bad thing on here. Bizarre.

Sakala causes problems when running directly at defences. We have few players who can do that. I'd keep him, if possible.

Love Sakala for his energy and personality. But he is rough as a player and will not improve now. He has done ok for us but is just not going to be good enough. Best to cash in if the manager has lost faith in him and get someone else in. Sensible all round. Good luck to him.

I keep saying people using the word snobbery. Ffs people are allowed to not rate the guy, doesn’t mean it’s snobbery.

Our squad is just too big and that means we may need to lose a likeable player such as Sakala who could do a certain job at times.

If we can get some money in for him I think it would be a sensible move.

He’s not actually very good though and looked pretty bad when we actually needed to scrape points to avoid falling away in the title race.

I'd back Sakala to deliver more than Matondo based on what little I've seen of Matondo.
Far too early to say. But for me it’s a puzzle that Wright is seen as a better option than fashion. Wright flaws are seen in every game. He just can’t deliver from beating a man from the by line. Regularly makes the wrong choice in a pass. Honestly ant see what gvb thinks he can achieve?

He hasn't in the past 2 euro games. Over in Belgium he looked like a lost wee boy. Even at Ibrox he was really indisciplined when he came on, all over the shop and no tracking runners
He scored against USG when he played them away last season, their coach identified him as our 'danger man' and marked him with 2 players. Not disagreeing with you as such regarding he performed poorly, but certainly didn't look like a lost wee boy, they just concentrated hard on taking him out of the game and they were successful. At Ibrox he wasn't bad at all, a few lapses in concentration in defence but him and Morelos breathed new life into our attack in that 2nd half

I like Sakala. His goals + assists per 90 last season were amongst the best in the league. Realistically though he's never going to be a starter for us - and once Morelos and Roofe are back, he's behind them and Colak as striker, and behind the likes of Kent, Lawrence, Wright and Matondo on the wings.

I'm not sure we can turn down £3m-£4m for someone who is effectively fourth or fifth choice. We also just received £5m+ that we wouldn't have budgeted for after making the Champions League Playoffs. If we can push the boat out and get in a Veerman or Skov Olsen for that money (both went for around £6.5m last season), it would be tremendous business.

If it's £3m and not buying anyone else, then keep. If we're going to spend all of that and more on an upgrade, which I think we would, then sell.

I like Sakala. His goals + assists per 90 last season were amongst the best in the league. Realistically though he's never going to be a starter for us - and once Morelos and Roofe are back, he's behind them and Colak as striker, and behind the likes of Kent, Lawrence, Wright and Matondo on the wings.

I'm not sure we can turn down £3m-£4m for someone who is effectively fourth or fifth choice. We also just received £5m+ that we wouldn't have budgeted for after making the Champions League Playoffs. If we can push the boat out and get in a Veerman or Skov Olsen for that money (both went for around £6.5m last season), it would be tremendous business.

If it's £3m and not buying anyone else, then keep. If we're going to spend all of that and more on an upgrade, which I think we would, then sell.
Won't really be up to us if he doesn't want to leave though. I'd find it weird if he didn't leave given the situation but it'd also be weird to leave just days after doing an interview where he refused to go out on loan

I like Sakala and although don't see him being a regular starter still think he has something to offer coming off the bench with this pace and unpredictability. I get he is not the best technically but he has the knack off getting a goal (I'm still giving him the semi final goal !!).

However, if Gio and his staff don't rate him we must sell him, 3 million is decent and we can hopefully replace him with another squad player.

At 25 I don't see a loan move being of any use to Rangers.

There's no question his repertoire is a bit limited

However his unpredictability, awkwardness & constant movement- is IMO often an asset
He opens things up for his teammates on occasions even if he himself isn't on the score sheet

Ultimately though - is it worth having him on the wage bill when it looks like others will be ahead of him in the pecking order & he is in effect a luxury ?

Depends if Gio thinks he's worth having as cover -
But it's entirely possible - if we avoid injuries / suspensions- he won't be needed - certainly not as a first choice starter - all season
I'd say that's a luxury we can't afford

i suppose the question is when everyone is up to speed - does Sakala get any game time?

i think the answer now is probably not - for the wide berths he has Kent/Lawrence/Matondo/Tillman/Hagi, Wright and even Lowry all likely to be ahead of him in the managers thoughts.

so 6th 7th choice, as a central striker - Morelos / Colak and Roofe all ahead of him

if we were offered 3m+ and we could potentially use that money elsewhere in a more pressing area i would let him go.

For whatever reason Gio doesn't trust him. He's got lots of good attributes but seems he can't follow tactical instruction, or something along those lines.

I like him but no point him sitting on the bench not being used. Use the money for somebody the manager will play.

A backup attacker who scored 12 and assisted 7 is somehow seen as a bad thing on here. Bizarre
Agreed.

He score more than Kent & Wright combined last year & probably started half the amount of games Kent did.

I think Fashions goal record last season is a bit of a red herring tbh, when broken down.

5 v Motherwell
3 in the cup v Stirling, Annan and Dundee, 2 of which were in the final minutes when the game was well won.
Hearts, game again was well won when he scored in the final minutes
Ross County, same again.

Livi and Celtic away were the only goals there that were really important goals, in the context of the results, IMO.

If we can get £3m for him then it can definitely be spent on somebody who will contribute more, IMO. And as I said, I like him, but the manager clearly doesn't.

Back