Burnley looking at Sakala. ?

I think the Sakala one is a real dilemma, and agree with so many points made above on both sides of the argument.

Frustrating yes, but there’s a Ted McMinn factor at play with him. If he doesn’t know what he’s doing, how will our opponents ?

He’s definitely contributed to us last season, but if he’s not going to be played, then putting his fee to an Olaru, or a third striker who has a bit of pace to him will probably strengthen us overall.

It’s been obvious for quite a while now that Gio and Rob Mackay don’t trust or rate Sakala. Personally I quite like the wee man as I prefer him to Wright as he has more of an end product contribution than Wright and his goal contribution would be good for the team particularly as Roofe is often out injured for long spells. Technically he is quite poor as we can all see this and is probably the reason why Gio feels he can improve the team with an upgrade. If Burnley are offering us £3m then I think we should take the money and reinvest elsewhere in the team.

Like the wee man, if we can get £4m for him I’d take it, let him go and then use that cash for buying a no 8.

Harry Winks is on my list, if he can come for £30k a week plus a fee of £10m with UCL qualification I’d be happy.

Still think we have 4-5 outgoings, with 2-3 coming in.
Haha Harry winks ffs.

See this "goal contribution" stuff, they are not all created equal. Some of those were important but at least 4 of his goals that I can think of were adding a cherry on top of handsome wins and had no bearing on the result.

The manager doesn't trust him to be disciplined to play within our structures and as much as I like the lad he's never looked like being able to.

The presumption is that this is all the manager pushing him out. It may very well be mutual as we wants to play as a striker and he's behind the other 3, the latest of which is already scoring important goals.

£3million plus any sell on % if we could squeeze that in is very decent.

We don’t play to a big target man all the time?
Colak and Morelos are the strikers they are the big targets. . If you watch fashions interview gio has already told him he would be used in wide positions in a very candid interview he says gio prefers a bigger target man

Not the worst player in a Rangers shirt but I just don’t see him playing much of a part of this season.
If we can get £3m for him, with his and Simpson’s wages freed up as well as our prize money from last night I see no reason why we couldn’t be looking at getting another significant name in the door.

Easy enough to say take the £3m but then you need to think about who is available in that bracket to replace him that is capable of his minutes to goals ratio which is a goal every 2 games. Not easy to replace that within a squad.

It'll be a better move for him than it will for us. No doubt we'll come to a point in the season where we wish we had another option.

Still feel like he was harshly treated in the EL final.

Easy enough to say take the £3m but then you need to think about who is available in that bracket to replace him that is capable of his minutes to goals ratio which is a goal every 2 games. Not easy to replace that within a squad.
Our system should be more reliant on dominance & predictability of outcomes, rather than hopeful and random occurrences. Gio is building a side based on more predictable but overwhelming play. Sakala just doesn’t fit this Rangers side anymore. He’s a lovely guy & has surely contributed, but his overall play can’t be trusted at the top.

I like the chaos he brings to the opposition, semi v them as a perfect example.
He had them on the ropes at the piggery as well.

He hasn’t had a real chance to play through the middle for us which is where he can cause most damage. It’s clear GVB just doesn’t fancy him.

Who's giving us 21 goal contributions from the bench for the last 20 minutes?
His stats were comfortably better than Kent last year domestically.

Its the fact that he is so raw and unconventional that makes him dangerous in my opinion. He’s direct and doesn’t have much idea himself what he’s trying so they find it hard to stop him.

Sometimes when we need a goal we become frustratingly predictable, start crossing deep and passing back and forth across the back line. He gave us something different and got good numbers doing it.

If we get offered the reported £3m then it's an easy decision to make imo. Take the money and wish him well. I'll be honest and admit that I don't particularly rate him and just can't see him improving enough to be anywhere near what we need.

£3 million is a decent price I'd take that his goalscoring record is fairly decent but his overall game is erratic and very unpredictable.

Can see him going before the end of the window.

I like him but obviously not in Gio’s plans so I would cash in and put the proceeds towards a much better keeper. Both currently give me the fear.

He can consider himself unlucky not to see more game time. Looks like Gio doesn't fancy him so probably best for both parties he does move on.

Given it was his first season playing in a new league his goals/assists numbers were more than decent, especially given how many times he actually started. More than good enough to be a squad player for us.

I think the Sakala one is a real dilemma, and agree with so many points made above on both sides of the argument.

Frustrating yes, but there’s a Ted McMinn factor at play with him. If he doesn’t know what he’s doing, how will our opponents ?

He’s definitely contributed to us last season, but if he’s not going to be played, then putting his fee to an Olaru, or a third striker who has a bit of pace to him will probably strengthen us overall.
Agree. As nice a guy as Fashion Jr is and as much as he's scored a fair few goals he doesn't have the footballing intelligence or composure to become a top player. We can definitely improve and if we can get £3m for him I'd bite their hand off.

My feelings as well

I never want to be playing crucial games and cup finals without a recognised striker again, we’ve had that too often. Morelos and possibly Colak are reliable, Roofe certainly isn’t so I’d be keeping Sakala as an option.
Hes that bad at it that Gio chose to play a midfielder.

I dont understand why people aren't grasping this.

Surprised that so many think he has more to offer, he isn’t a young player learning the game but a 25 year old that should be in his prime. Likeable player who gives his all, but nowhere near good enough. If they are offering £3m, we need to move him on.

We have replaced him already with Matondo. If he doesn't want to play second best he will have to move on. Over the course of the season he will see game time as I don't like the idea of Tillman bring played wide. Aribo is gone and Hagi is Injured.

Matondo is the level we should have signed last year but we went for the cheap option. It's not paid off 100% but we will make a profit on him if he is sold this year.

His more positive performances have not been missed with certain clubs in Europe.

If we have someone lined up to bring in the sell him. However i still think were light up front with Roofe injured quite a bit.

No point taking 3M then having to bring a panic last minute replacement in who may not cut it.

We have replaced him already with Matondo. If he doesn't want to play second best he will have to move on. Over the course of the season he will see game time as I don't like the idea of Tillman bring played wide. Aribo is gone and Hagi is Injured.

Matondo is the level we should have signed last year but we went for the cheap option. It's not paid off 100% but we will make a profit on him if he is sold this year.

His more positive performances have not been missed with certain clubs in Europe.
Signing Sakala on a free was surely a no brainer? Harsh to say it hasn't worked out given he was a squad player last season, 12 goals and 7 assists is surely a decent return for a squad player?

I'm excited about Matundo, if he starts every game and produces the numbers Sakala did last season most will be delighted!

Agree. As nice a guy as Fashion Jr is and as much as he's scored a fair few goals he doesn't have the footballing intelligence or composure to become a top player. We can definitely improve and if we can get £3m for him I'd bite their hand off.

Yes, 3m could get us a player with quality LG.

Domestically he definitely contributed, but in Europe his lack of pedigree was really obvious on many occasions.

Id be in favour of selling for 3mil plus tbh. Decent enough numbers but overall hes just not got thr techical ability to make it with us long term. Im often frustrated with him and hes nearly 26 now. Not a young boy. GVB clearly dont fancy him either.

Back