Burnley looking at Sakala. ?

I like Sakala because he is a good honest professional who always plays with a smile on his face. He works hard for the team. However he is a limited player.

Gio clearly doesn't seem him as a striker which Sakala has admitted Gio told him. He sees him as a winger and just now. Kent, Lawrence, Wright and Matondo are ahead of him for those positions.

If Burnley are offering 3m for a player that we got for nothing and is not in our plans I think we should take it.

Sakala was late in developing as a professional footballer. He has something and adds to our squad.

For me if we get £3m for him do we sign someone better? Have we seen the best of Sakala? Not sure we have.

His stats are decent, but I am never full of confidence when I see him play, but he is so far down the pecking order now he won’t get many chances to show if he can be of use to us, so for £3m I say sell.

If Sakala was more deliberate in his play, reading the game around him more, he would be a far better player. He has so much about his game to be a very good player. Burnley might end up being a really good move for him.

If he goes then his goals and assists need replaced

For me I’d be keeping him and getting him minutes. He can definitely contribute this season. I’d actually like to think he could kick on and improve on his debut season too

Roofe and Sakala’s goals will be a huge miss. Especially from a team where we don’t have many players hitting decent goal numbers

For me I’d be keeping him and getting him minutes. He can definitely contribute this season. I’d actually like to think he could kick on and improve on his debut season too

Roofe and Sakala’s goals will be a huge miss. Especially from a team where we don’t have many players hitting decent goal numbers
Haven't we tried to do this via Lawrence, Matondo and Tillman?

Sakala was late in developing as a professional footballer. He has something and adds to our squad.

For me if we get £3m for him do we sign someone better? Have we seen the best of Sakala? Not sure we have.
Interesting point. The basis of what he brings has obvious potential; if he does leave it will be interesting to watch how he does in his career.

I think Fashions goal record last season is a bit of a red herring tbh, when broken down.

5 v Motherwell
3 in the cup v Stirling, Annan and Dundee, 2 of which were in the final minutes when the game was well won.
Hearts, game again was well won when he scored in the final minutes
Ross County, same again.

Livi and Celtic away were the only goals there that were really important goals, in the context of the results, IMO.

If we can get £3m for him then it can definitely be spent on somebody who will contribute more, IMO. And as I said, I like him, but the manager clearly doesn't.

Goals are goals.

Hmm two midfielders and a winger. Not quite the same thing.

Then you have the perma-injured Roofe.
Tillman has had a golden chance to score in both league games so far - he's getting into advanced positions and I fancy him to score plenty this season.

His stats are decent, but I am never full of confidence when I see him play, but he is so far down the pecking order now he won’t get many chances to show if he can be of use to us, so for £3m I say sell.
Compare him to our other attacking players in terms of general play and the basics he is miles off it at times that's how I believe Gerrard/GVB have quickly sussed out he isn't good enough.

To be that raw at 25/26 is something else I don't see him developing any further but he will have a decent career elsewhere Clubs throughout Europe will take a punt on him because of his pace and he can score problem is the rest of his game is badly lacking.

A good option for me and should be kept and used

He has shown more than others still at the club and his stats are good

Yes he is a bit unpredictable but sometimes that’s what we need

Tillman has had a golden chance to score in both league games so far - he's getting into advanced positions and I fancy him to score plenty this season.

Arfield gets in the box as well but you still wouldn't compare him with Sakala.

SPL 2020/21

Rangers - goals for 92 - before Sakala

SPL 2021/22

Rangers - goals for 80 - with Sakala

I am not saying Sakala is the only issue but... we scored goals before he arrived, because we played more coherent stuff as a team I would expect that will be the aim if he is moved on.

The likes of Tilman as an individual might score a few goals less than Sakala but I would expect he makes an absolute f*ck load more telling contributions which lead to more team goals. I would want to play with one of these two players before the other every day of the week as well, one of them looks after his team mates

A lot of goals Roofe and Sakala scored will be pretty easy replaced, Roofe, for as admirable as his goal return last year was, was hitting a fair few penalties, a hat trick against St Mirren in a game that in reality meant f*ck all, cup games against dross, players utterly should be replacing these goals across the squad.

Last edited:
If we were offered £3m for someone we signed for free 12 months ago, and the manager has no plans for him. Then it’s a no brainer.

I like him, but not convinced he is good enough.

I really like Sakala and think he should be getting game time even if only from the bench. But it's clear the manager doesn't rate him, so if we could get £3m or more for him it would be a great return.

Would be sad to see him go. Think he could play a big part in the away leg at PSV if we have a narrow lead to defend. His pace on the break could be a lethal weapon as we saw at the piggery last season.
I thought he'd do that when we played Braga away last year.

He was useless.

I fear that this is one of those ones that if we let him go he will kick on and start battering in the goals for Burnley. I'd give him to January.

I thought he'd do that when we played Braga away last year.

He was useless.
In my defence, the link to the article wasn’t loading on my phone last night so have just had a chance to read it.

If £3m is on the table then that’s excellent business for the club and he should go with our best wishes.

Not that long ago we would have needed to sell first in order to replace.
I would hope with our recent success on the park and in the transfer market we can now afford to flip that around.

If he's not in the plans, I would be talking with Burnley while progressing with signing his replacement. Only once we have secured who we need to replace him should he be allowed to go.

That said The Gaffer may feel he already has replaced him

I like Sakala.
I think his numbers are good and whilst I can see his faults, I still believe his qualities make him a useful player.
Further, I think he would flourish for a team like Burnley where in run-of-the-mill games, he would get space to exploit.

As much as I like Fashion, I would nonetheless not be upset to see him move on, because Gio seems reluctant to use him and it would be better for us to sign a player that Gio wants in his squad.
3 million is a fair sum that might not need much adding to, for Gio to go after a target he sees as a Van Bronckhorst player.

Find that hard to believe we have knocked £4m back tbh. Even at £3m
Maybe the actual bid was at the lower end of the scale quoted. Maybe £2m, with the rest being add-ons?

there were no discussions had with Rangers as it was clear it would take a bid beyond their limits to alter Rangers’ stance.

Gio might see him as playing a part in the squad. Looks like he wasn't involved in the first few games due to injury or Covid or something.

He gets goals. The new players in the team need to prove they can do that before we get rid of someone that already has.

If he's part of Gio's plans it's pretty strange he's hardly had a sniff then, especially when Morelos Roofe and Kent have had injuries.

He's obviously 4th or 5th choice striker and winger.

Last edited:
Back