Tactically, how does GVB play it v. PSV?

GVB2022

In recent Euro ties, with the away leg first, Gio has tended to favour a more solid formation with a view to keeping the tie alive and bringing it back to Ibrox. USG aside, it has pretty much worked out for us.
This time we have Ibrox first, how do the bears feel Gio will set the team up for Tuesday?

Discuss..

In the home game we are going to have play attacking football and go for goals. I don't think we want to go away defending a slender 1-0 lead. Its a very awkward score.

I think our setup will be very similar to the weekend and the second leg against Union.

Will set us up to win by at least 2 clear goals, keep the zero going over the Eindhoven.. Lawrence and Kent back in the starting 11, Colak will start with Alfie featuring at the 65th minute stage..

I think he may approach this one cautiously partly out of respect for the opposition and partly because first legs tend to be cagey in general. If we are still in the tie at the end of the match that will be seen as a positive outcome by the management. (Anything less than a 2 goal victory will have many spitting the dummy on here though.)

I feel we need to approach this as if we are already 2 nil down and really go for it from the start and see if we can get a lead to take over there.
If we start off nervy and give up possession too often then we may give ourselves problems.This is a winner takes all big prize match so we need to go for it .PSV are a good team but we have beaten better recently.We can win this with the right approach and a bit of luck.

Think we need to win by at least 2 goals on Tuesday tbh. Even a 1-0 would be seen by Psv as a positive similar to how we saw braga and Leipzig last season

I think we’ll be cautious, especially in the first half on Tuesday.

I don’t think we’ll come out, go toe to toe with them and try and outscore them over two legs because if we have to score 4/5 goals over the two games to qualify then I’m not sure I fancy our chances.

I think we’ll try and keep it tight for the first half then try and ramp up the pressure in the second half and try and sneak a 1-0 or 2-0 to take to Holland.

The away game I’ve no real feel for at the moment. We’ll obviously have to be solid defensively but we need to carry a counter attacking threat to stop them dominating the game.

I think both ties may be a lot more cagey than we've seen recently-

I can't imagine PSV being too adventurous at Ibrox
& I'd imagine GIO will be keen to keep our risks at a minimum

Where it may be a bit more gung ho - will be 2nd half of the away tie - if the game is still in the balance

Just my opinion of course
I suppose there's always the chance both teams go all out hell for leather from the get go & that's how both legs continue

I’d snatch your hand off for any kind of advantage. We’d all like breathing room but psv this year have pushed the boat out and got a very good team.

We can't change our normal style of play to suit PSV. Doing so only helps the opposition. We'll beat them at Ibrox.

I think Gio will be happy to keep it tight first leg, any sort of win will do 1-0 2-1 something like that. I’m sure he’ll believe we can score one maybe two over there. Win at home and draw over there and I’ll be delighted.

Alfie brings the team into the game and ragdolled defenders. I’d start Alfie and even if we only get 65 minutes out of him.
Starting a player who is nowhere near matchfit yet ahead of a striker who has 3/3 would be lunacy imo.

From what we have seen of him so far it doesn’t look to me like he has 65 minutes in him imo.

40 million riding on these games. Best believe it's going to be a battle in there and it's going to take some of that true grit and hunger to win alongside good tact by Gio.

Last edited:
Alfie brings the team into the game and ragdolled defenders. I’d start Alfie and even if we only get 65 minutes out of him.
He does all of that when he's sharp and match fit. Unfortunately he's neither of those right now.

We need to be on the front door from the off, their will be time when PSV put us under pressure and we need to deal with that occordingly.
The fans will play their part too . Buzzing for Tuesday

I think we’ll be cautious, especially in the first half on Tuesday.

I don’t think we’ll come out, go toe to toe with them and try and outscore them over two legs because if we have to score 4/5 goals over the two games to qualify then I’m not sure I fancy our chances.

I think we’ll try and keep it tight for the first half then try and ramp up the pressure in the second half and try and sneak a 1-0 or 2-0 to take to Holland.

The away game I’ve no real feel for at the moment. We’ll obviously have to be solid defensively but we need to carry a counter attacking threat to stop them dominating the game.

Pretty much sums up my view.

Re the second leg, we should be building towards having a fit and firing front three of Kent, Morelos and Matondo in Eindhoven. We need a counter-attack threat coupled with the ability to hold the ball up and manoeuvre their defenders - that front three should give us that in spades.

No chance. Morelos still looks a good bit off starting and Colak is on a goal scoring run and full of confidence.
Contributes little in the buill up, cannot hold the ball up, which will be vital against quality opposition. He's fine against the SPL dross but we need Alfie's qualities on Tuesday.

Re the second leg, we should be building towards having a fit and firing front three of Kent, Morelos and Matondo in Eindhoven. We need a counter-attack threat coupled with the ability to hold the ball up and manoeuvre their defenders - that front three should give us that in spades.
We absolutely need to outscore them over two legs!!!

Contributes little in the buill up, cannot hold the ball up, which will be vital against quality opposition. He's fine against the SPL dross but we need Alfie's qualities on Tuesday.
If he was fully fit or even 90% I’d agree but he isn’t yet. Plus are we willing to gamble on his fitness going forward?

I agree - even if I don't think Gio will.

Against quality European opposition, it's so important to have a focal point up top who cab hold it in, run the channels, physically compete, win fouls, as well as provide the obvious goal threat. Nobody does that better than Morelos. And it's not Colak's game.

Colak for the last 20/25 mins when the game has settled a bit.

Need to take a lead so attack batter their goals quick press when out of possession! As with all games you adapt to how the opponent's set up and continue to adapt when needed within the game itself but our own plan must be to think on your feet and be on the front foot hopefully early goal with more to come and get Ibrox rocking remember it's only half-time?

I’m not sure we have the time to get Morelos fit and firing before the second leg unfortunately.

I think it’s probably more likely that we go 5-3-2/3-5-2 in the away leg with Kent and Colak/Matondo through the centre up top.

I’d contemplate starting Morelos on Tuesday and asking him to give us everything he has for 50/55 minutes but I’d start him on the bench in the away leg.

If we are chasing a goal late in the game in the second leg then I’d much rather see Alfie coming on off the bench for the last 25/30 instead of being subbed off shattered after 60/65.

Got tonplay it as we have all ties at Ibrox in the last 12 months. On the front foot looking to win the game with a clean sheet

We need to demoralize them, don't even give them a small glimpse of hope, has to be at least 3 - 0. Then we can set up in the 2nd leg to keep it tight, we have the players to do this.

They are very strong in the attack but weaker in defence, even pretty shaky going by the Monaco game and the goals against the Eagles in their last match, so it makes sense to pressure them and go for their weaknesses, rather than defend and try to counter, which plays into their strength.

Press them and go for it in the home game, I think they’ll score but I also think we could get 2 or 3 if we play well. Then take a drab, time wasting, anti-football draw in the away leg for all I care.

I’m not sure we have the time to get Morelos fit and firing before the second leg unfortunately.

I think it’s probably more likely that we go 5-3-2/3-5-2 in the away leg with Kent and Colak/Matondo through the centre up top.

I’d contemplate starting Morelos on Tuesday and asking him to give us everything he has for 50/55 minutes but I’d start him on the bench in the away leg.

If we are chasing a goal late in the game in the second leg then I’d much rather see Alfie coming on off the bench for the last 25/30 instead of being subbed off shattered after 60/65.

Morelos playing 60-65 on Tuesday, followed by another run out at Easter Rd on Saturday should see him fit enough, and much sharper, for the away leg in Holland.

Colak's style would see us struggle over there I fear - he's a penalty box striker - and we'll need more than that over there.

Alfie should play at least an hour in both of our next two matches.

We can't change our normal style of play to suit PSV. Doing so only helps the opposition. We'll beat them at Ibrox.
Agree however if we have to adapt like stopping danger men when out of possession and pressing will be important whilst continue to impose our own plan when in possession that will be the way!

Agree however if we have to adapt like stopping danger men when out of possession and pressing will be important whilst continue to impose our own plan when in possession that will be the way!

Changing our natural game immediately hands the psychological advantage to the opposition,imo. We also start seeing loads of misplaced passes. Just stick to what we know best and let PSV worry about us.

Strangely a draw at Ibrox could work in our favour. Keeps us on our toes from the off. Sometimes a 2-0 lead can let complacency in against teams of the quality of PSV.

Changing our natural game immediately hands the psychological advantage to the opposition,imo. We also start seeing loads of misplaced passes. Just stick to what we know best and let PSV worry about us.
I mean if things not going to plan muttley!

Morelos playing 60-65 on Tuesday, followed by another run out at Easter Rd on Saturday should see him fit enough, and much sharper, for the away leg in Holland.

Colak's style would see us struggle over there I fear - he's a penalty box striker - and we'll need more than that over there.

Alfie should play at least an hour in both of our next two matches.

I agree that game time in the next two matches will get him fitter and sharper before the away leg but I’m still not sure even that game time will be enough for him to have 90 minutes in the legs by next midweek.

If he’s fit enough for the full 90 then I’d play him, no doubt. If he doesn’t have 90 in him then I think I’d rather have him coming on if we were chasing a goal rather than being subbed off.

I agree that Colak isn’t an ideal option for an away game like that. A front two of Kent and Tillman could be interesting though.

Back