Colak

He is a huge part of the problem. When we attack, we use Morelos so much. He drops to feet, he plays one-twos, he boulders defenders, he rolls them, he brings wide men into play.

Aribo was similar. Aribo has good feet and he’s good in the air. He can hold off and lay off. He wasn’t Morelos but you could still use him in the system.

Roofe is a different player; but he has movement. You can find him because the one thing he’s good at is finding space.

Colak doesn’t move and doesn’t look to get involved in play. Ok the service is awful - but try telling me Morelos, Roofe or Aribo would have only had 10 touches in 2 games.

What confuses me is that he doesn't seem to be a Morelos type striker which is odd as we play as if Morelos is there even when he isn't - so why was he signed?

Would love him to prove us wrong here but the early signs aren't great.

Lets be honest, there aren't many Morelos type strikers out there especially in our price range.

The style of play needs to be adapted when he isn't in the side (possibly 2 up top?) but we're no closer to adequately replacing him when he's out than we were 3/4 years ago.

Did he actually touch the ball tonight? Where was the fight and dig? Sakala isn’t the greatest but he would have ran his heart out tonight.

A very frustrating and disappointing night and you couldn’t give any of the players any pass marks. They were all mince.
Did you not see when he took the ball past the defender and played a great ball across the box?

Has shown very little to get excited about. Not helped by those around him but he's clearly not the type of player whos going to make something happen for himself.

What is the game threshold on FF before we are allowed to criticize him? 10? 20? Or will those cracking up at posters who dare voice an opinion simply slink off into the shadows if he's bombed out the team by November?

Someone should have had a tap in for the one he played across goal but then we only play with 1 striker, i find it difficult to blame the lad for these performances he is completely isolated as the set up looks like something you would use if we playing Man City.

The guy needs support but with no attacking midfielders and I can’t remember Barasic getting a decent cross in. What chance has the guy got.
Correct
No service
Remember super Ally getting it in neck especially his performance against Dundee in cup

Not been impressive so far but being a new addition and in an underperforming team it’s too early to just write him off.

If you don’t supply him how can he do anything to change that.
We were utterly clueless again last night.
We play ten man defending every other week but haven’t worked out how to break them down.

His fairly legitimate goal was certainly invisible to those who gave it as offside that day. If that had been given this thread doesn't happen.
I genuinely think people on here will will referencing that disallowed goal for months as a response to anyone saying Colak isn't looking impressive.

Find it very hard to blame the striker when we set us in such a negative manner.

Zero attacking intent, no midfielders willing to pass forward, no wide threat at all with the shape we went with (without Kent) for him to work with... It was a dreadful display.

I genuinely think people on here will will referencing that disallowed goal for months as a response to anyone saying Colak isn't looking impressive.
Fair enough, but it is only his second competitive game so far. Had that goal stood, and his pass along the goal resulted in something last night we don't have this discussion; small margins right now is my point.

Colak 'a waste of time' as Rangers misfire​

Rangers were a shadow of the side that reached the Europa League final. Just six of the players who had started the Seville showpiece in May were part of the XI in Leuven, with Calvin Bassey and Joe Aribo sold while Ryan Kent was injured and Alfredo Morelos is still battling back to fitness.

Those attacking casualties were sorely felt with the front three of Malik Tillman, Rabbi Matondo and Antonio Colak - all signed this summer - ineffectual. In defence, the deployment of John Lundstram in a makeshift central three deprived Rangers of one of their most commanding midfielders.

Former Bayern Munich forward Tillman mirrored his team in starting brightly before fading, while Colak had Rangers' best glimpse of goal, failing to connect with a dangerous Tillman cross.

Hateley says Croatia striker Colak, who arrived from Greek side PAOK, has to offer much more.

"Colak for me was a waste of time basically," he told BBC Scotland. "The first option should be into your central striker. If Morelos is playing there the ball goes into him.

"Colak didn't demand the ball. You've got to be asking more of your centre forwards, especially when you're playing away from home in Europe.

"From 25 minutes onwards it was a poor, poor show from Rangers. They were just a nonentity tonight. It is one of the poorest, most ineffective games I've seen Rangers play under Giovanni."

Fair enough, but it is only his second competitive game so far. Had that goal stood, and his pass along the goal resulted in something last night we don't have this discussion; small margins right now is my point.

It still wouldn't hide the fact he has been largely annonymous in both games.

The service he is getting is terrible.There,s no creative midfielder to put a ball forward ,Its all pass from side to side.Not good enough.
I must be missing all his runs off the ball, dropping deep and running into channels and imagining his lack of movement. He seems like a hide and seek champion.

We were warned by Greek fans who said he hides and couldn’t handle the expectation of a “big” Greek club.

Lets be honest, there aren't many Morelos type strikers out there especially in our price range.

The style of play needs to be adapted when he isn't in the side (possibly 2 up top?) but we're no closer to adequately replacing him when he's out than we were 3/4 years ago.
Definitely agree on the second part but I'd be surprised if we weren't able to find someone who can play similarly to how Alfie does - he doesn't have to be as good obviously, just be able to hold the ball up well and play with his back to the goal.

Did he actually touch the ball tonight? Where was the fight and dig? Sakala isn’t the greatest but he would have ran his heart out tonight.

A very frustrating and disappointing night and you couldn’t give any of the players any pass marks. They were all mince.
Very disappointing but hopefully all the new signings realise that as a team we need to do more than just turn up to win.

Re. Colak i will give him a good few more games before slating the guy...Haaland was as bad if not worse in the Charity Shield (which i appreciate was a glorified friendly rather than a CL qualifier) and i am sure Pep G still has faith in him.

It’s typical Rangers. We get linked with £5-6m strikers to get us all excited and then we end up shopping in the bargain bin. The amount of money we have brought in recently and we have spent pennies in comparison. We have been crying out for a top forward for ages even with Alfie still in the team. Dare i say we need to find our own Kyogo type player, they must be out there

The guy needs support but with no attacking midfielders and I can’t remember Barasic getting a decent cross in. What chance has the guy got.
I agree , but should have read the Tillman cross better anything on that and it’s in , seen glimpses with finish at Blackpool and on Sat . But if he isn’t putting chances away he is a man down tbh .

It’s typical Rangers. We get linked with £5-6m strikers to get us all excited and then we end up shopping in the bargain bin. The amount of money we have brought in recently and we have spent pennies in comparison. We have been crying out for a top forward for ages even with Alfie still in the team. Dare i say we need to find our own Kyogo type player, they must be out there
We are loaded mate :D .

I will only be able to judge Colak once I see him, with the Ball. That has yet, to happen!

It's not just two games though is it? We've watched him in preseason games.

You can also look at his CV as well and he just screams journeyman at 28-29. There's nothing to get excited about at all from him.
Agree - his CV is pretty average to be fair. Hadn't realised quite how middle of the road it was until I looked last night.

Fine if you're signing players in their early 20s who've had a host of clubs in the past and failed to settle or who have been erratic. But as you say, for a guy who is supposedly in the prime years of his career to have been floating around Europe with mixed success (and that's being generous) doesnt exactly scream "development potential"

Immaterial anyway. When morelos is fit, Colak plays no football.

it's not just about service. He shows absolutely nothing - zero movement whatsoever and causes defenders no issues at all. He just fucking stands there.
He doesn’t just stand there why exaggerate? Many a time last night seen him trying to chase down keeper etc with no help whatsoever

I called him out weeks ago and was lynched by the FF Klopps.

Even Danger Zone tagged me cause he scored in a friendly against Spurs.

He's rank rotten and anyone clued up spotted this weeks ago.
pie_face.gif

That’s four games in a row he’s scored in. Four goals in six games. If he keeps that ratio up, he’ll be a fans favorite in no time.

Back