Another scout leaves Rangers

Met Rob in Malaga randomly the day before Seville and spent the day getting bevvied with him as his dad wasnt a drinker! Brilliant guy and was pivotal behind us signing Bassey and Aribo.
In that case possibly a bit of a loss.

Wheres the next Bassey or Aribo coming from?

The young lad Paul Nsio who made his debut v QOTS looks a player. Also played well v Ajax in Youth League.

Our youth recruitment has been very good this year and a few of the players we've brought in have the potential to do very well.
Indeed though Aribo wasn't a youth signing he was straight to first team squad.

I agree we have been signing some great youth players of a certain age.

Hopefully they develop quickly and can strengthen our team in due course.

I don't believe these signings are similar to Aribo and Bassey though.

Our scouting and recruitment is more miss than hit. I'm being polite tbh.

So for all I care they could all leave really

This is a bit like those who absolutely refuse to give Pedro any credit for signing Morelos.
It's nothing like that though.

Bassey was already known to Gerrard, and stood out an absolute mile in a bounce game which prompted us to go and get him. Wilson can be credited with actually sealing the deal, however it remains unknown the extent to which we had any degree of competition from other clubs, or how complicated it actually was to get a Leicester youth team player to join us with an England legend as our manager.

For actually finding Bassey as a talent, Ross Wilson had absolutely not a thing to do with it.

As regards Pedro / Morelos - wasnt this driven by JJ? Not sure how Pedro would get the credit for that one either.

It's nothing like that though.

Bassey was already known to Gerrard, and stood out an absolute mile in a bounce game which prompted us to go and get him. Wilson can be credited with actually sealing the deal, however it remains unknown the extent to which we had any degree of competition from other clubs, or how complicated it actually was to get a Leicester youth team player to join us with an England legend as our manager.

For actually finding Bassey as a talent, Ross Wilson had absolutely not a thing to do with it.

As regards Pedro / Morelos - wasnt this driven by JJ? Not sure how Pedro would get the credit for that one either.
So it is a bit like it then?

This is a bit like those who absolutely refuse to give Pedro any credit for signing Morelos.
Everyone knows it was Johansson that put us on to Morelos.

Fair enough Pedro signed him as manager, but I think it's fair to say he probably knew nothing about him.

I suspect in this day and age the idea of Scouts going out and discovering untapped talent is a thing of the past at First Team level. Agents are the guys pushing things these days, they are the ones getting the names of their Clients into the hands of Directors of Football and Heads of Scouting.

Of course, Scouts will then be dispatched to run the rule over any that appear to fit the bill, but I think actually unearthing brand new talent is more a thing for Scouts at Youth and Schoolboy level. In parallel with that, of course, is personal recommendation from Managers, Coaches etc.

Everyone knows it was Johansson that put us on to Morelos.

Fair enough Pedro signed him as manager, but I think it's fair to say he probably knew nothing about him.
That’s the point of having people scouting though eh? I doubt Gio had been watching Cercle Brugge games and knew all about Matondo

Bring back Ewan Chester.

Ewan Chester left and we brought in Neil Murray and John Brown

first window,

Ortiz - Spanish
Goian - Romanian playing in Italy
Bedoya - American playing in Sweden
Bocanegra - American playing in France
McKay - Australian
Celik - Swedish
Aluko - Nigerian playing in Scotland
Wallace from Hearts

His next season signings

Sandaza - Spanish
Cribari - Brazilian
Faure - French
Argyriou - Greek
Stella - Australian
Kundik - Russian
Black, Shiels, Kyle and Templeton.

They must’ve had some amount of stamps on their passports they 2 seasons, scattergun approach if ever there was one.

first window,

Ortiz - Spanish
McKay - Australian
Celik - Swedish
Wallace from Hearts

His next season signings

Sandaza - Spanish
Cribari - Brazilian
Faure - French
Argyriou - Greek
Stella - Australian
Kundik - Russian

They must’ve had some amount of stamps on their passports they 2 seasons, scattergun approach if ever there was one.
Ffs I don’t remember anyone called Kundik. He must have been incredibly shite amongst a real raft of shite signed for div 3. Maybe I’ve mentally blocked that one out?

first window,

Ortiz - Spanish
McKay - Australian
Celik - Swedish
Wallace from Hearts

His next season signings

Sandaza - Spanish
Cribari - Brazilian
Faure - French
Argyriou - Greek
Stella - Australian
Kundik - Russian

To be fair that first window actually had a lot of good players when you look at it!

Bomber Brown was scouting for us as far back as 2000 or 01. Reason I know is I once cleaned his windies while helping a mate out for a while and he had a wee video room at his house with video cassettes scattered all over the floor

Bomber Brown was scouting for us as far back as 2000 or 01. Reason I know is I once cleaned his windies while helping a mate out for a while and he had a wee video room at his house with video cassettes scattered all over the floor

How you no it was fitba videos ?

To be fair that first window actually had a lot of good players when you look at it!

Bocanegra was 32, Goian 30, Ortiz 29 and McKay 28.

How many games did Ortiz, McKay, Bedoya, Celik start for us.

not to forget we blew almost half our transfer budget on Wallace who was going to sign for us for free in the January, when we already had the best left back in the league in Papac.

Clearly our back room team have had something for about them when you see their destinations after leaving us

Bocanegra was a good player
Basing it on value and overall contribution.

Don’t think he was great value all in. I’ll counter that by saying I’ve almost about shit out everything around all that time and the ‘journey’ as well

I can believe that.

The concept of Ross Wilson having anything to do with Bassey seemed too far fetched.

Bassey played against us in a youth game at Auchenhowie for Leicester. That's why he first came to our attention.

Us having Steven Gerrard as our manager was what convinced him to come.

Back