GVB after match press conference

Still can’t get over the stat of 9 of the starting XI tonight being here during Gerrard’s first season.

Stale is an understatement.
I agree.

I know this place is famous for hysteria and it's just after a game but I honestly find that absolutely astounding.

Just for a quick comparison I checked Napoli's team from their 2nd group game in that 2018/19 season - they had 9 different starters.

Still can’t get over the stat of 9 of the starting XI tonight being here during Gerrard’s first season.

Stale is an understatement.
Never played like they were stale Imo

In terms of subs we seen Matondo Tillman Colak so we had a few signings contributing there I would say and Davies plus Lawrence both injured Ben seems not yet in condition according to GvB who will know best . No ?

Last edited:
Davie Edgar “no aSkInG tHe DiFfKuLt QuEStIOnS” there I see :D

It was a fair question and if the manager isn’t happy with recruitment he shouldn’t be pretending that a youngster he’s been reluctant to throw in at times is now all of a sudden way up the pecking order on training merit ffs.

Never played like they were stale Imo

In terms of suns we seen Matondo Tillman Colak so we had a few signings contributing there I would say and Davies plus Lawrence both injured Ben seems not yet in condition according to GvB who will know best . No ?
Definitely showed a bit of fight tonight mate but just think we are sorely lacking in quality.

And the stale element comes from players who have been here a while seeing their contributions dip considerably (Kent, Goldson, etc)

Against 2 of the top clubs in European football. The gulf in class is massive it's like us playing St Johnstone or Killie. Some perspective is required. We competed tonight until the sending off.
What’s the excuse then when we get scudded 4-0 off the scum? They’ve given us two doings in 7 months.

What’s the excuse then when we get scudded 4-0 off the scum? They’ve given us two doings in 7 months.
There wasn't an excuse. It's why I didn't mention it in my post.

We lose at the weekend then there's a problem. I've a feeling though we will win as comfortably as a team with out budget should do against Dundee Utd at home - the same as Ajax should do when we play them away.

Against 2 of the top clubs in European football. The gulf in class is massive it's like us playing St Johnstone or Killie. Some perspective is required. We competed tonight until the sending off.
What's the excuse for celtic? We where playing for nothing tonight going forward what did we offer?

Gio must be the only Dutch manager in world football that doesn’t have any Dutch players in his team.
Which does raise the question, does he get any say in who we bring in

Get the feeling now Gerrard has gone Ross Wilson is making all the decisions

How wide are you making that category of “top clubs in European football”.

Have to be about 25 to fit Ajax and Napoli in.

There wasn't an excuse. It's why I didn't mention it in my post.

We lose at the weekend then there's a problem. I've a feeling though we will win as comfortably as a team with out budget should do against Dundee Utd at home - the same as Ajax should do when we play them away.
The manager has already stated he can't compete. Beating a shite dundee side won't change that. stop making excuses.

Which does raise the question, does he get any say in who we bring in

Get the feeling now Gerrard has gone Ross Wilson is making all the decisions
Hate to say it but that fat slob across the city has brought in players he knows and trusts and they are miles ahead of us because of it. Surely with Gio’s knowledge of the Dutch league he’d be able to bring in some quality.

What's the excuse for celtic? We where playing for nothing tonight going forward what did we offer?
There wasn't and isn't an excuse for losing that many to them. They have spent a lot more money on their team/squad than us though. Our recruitment has massively let us down.

Going forward tonight we could have scored at least twice before Napoli scored against our ten men. We may have created more and looked more dangerous had we not sold Aribo and replaced him with the square root of %^*& all.

It was a decent and fair question to ask about Davies. Gios response was why would we talk about Davies? Ehh maybe because wel have spunked 4m on him to be left out or sat on the bench for weeks doing furk all whilst we have a midfielder at cb. That added to the fact the amount of goals we are conceding , top sides or not.

The manager has already stated he can't compete. Beating a shite dundee side won't change that. stop making excuses.

Excuses for what?

We are expected to pump Dundee Utd based on our squad and budget, expected to be scudded to Napoli and Ajax based on our squad and budget.

Hate to say it but that fat slob across the city has brought in players he knows and trusts and they are miles ahead of us because of it. Surely with Gio’s knowledge of the Dutch league he’d be able to bring in some quality.
He gets more goals from his wingers and strikers than we do.

Our players turn up when they fancy it and get fit if it's forced upon them rather than behave professionally.

How wide are you making that category of “top clubs in European football”.

Have to be about 25 to fit Ajax and Napoli in.

So where do we fit in coming second in Scotland? Top 100?

Makes making the Europa League Final more remarkable then eh?

It was a decent and fair question to ask about Davies. Gios response was why would we talk about Davies? Ehh maybe because wel have spunked 4m on him to be left out or sat on the bench for weeks doing furk all whilst we have a midfielder at cb. That added to the fact the amount of goals we are conceding , top sides or not.
Imagine having the audacity to ask about our big summer signing CB that has barely kicked a ball and that sat on the bench while we played 2 CMs ahead of him then brought on an 18 year old instead of him.

There wasn't and isn't an excuse for losing that many to them. They have spent a lot more money on their team/squad than us though. Our recruitment has massively let us down.

Going forward tonight we could have scored at least twice before Napoli scored against our ten men. We may have created more and looked more dangerous had we not sold Aribo and replaced him with the square root of %^*& all.
People initially thought Tillman had replaced him he could not even control or hold onto a simple ball tonight.

If that's true, why did he say he was happy with the squad? He can't be happy and unhappy with the squad at the same time.
Every manager says that. Called lip service. He's not going to say the squad is shit and lose the dressing room. From goalkeeper to up front we have massive cracks all over the place. Even if we didn't sit 5 points behind the scum how the feck is this squad meant to last over a season?

If it truly is the case that Gio doesn't have any say in signings then I do feel a bit for him,

But no matter who he has in the squad it's his responsibility to have them fitter and sharper than they have been. It's up to him to gert them motivated. He hasn't done that

It's all well and good hinting that he's not happy with recruitment but we need some honesty.

Come out and tell us if certain players have been somewhat forced on to him or if he had better targets in mind.

I know it's bad PR and causes friction but I don't care. He owes it to himself and the fans to be honest.
Correct.

The situation is so awful he HAS to call it out and be brutally honest about the mess our failed recruitment has left us in.

The time is way gone for being nicey, nicey.

Tonight's team selection sent a message, but Ross Wilson should be being booted down Edmiston Drive as we speak.

you said we could have scored but didn't and haven't for 3 games now. You says the gulf is huge in Europe would you day the same to zagbreb or Salzburg.

So where do we fit in coming second in Scotland? Top 100?

Makes making the Europa League Final more remarkable then eh?
Ajax and Napoli are better than us but they’re not at the level you made out.

They’ll both be cannon fodder in the knockouts.

Back