GVB after match press conference

Was going to start a new thread but saw this one & I don’t want to clutter up the board.

Gio’s reactions and responses when he’s challenged in press conferences on things like the Davies situation, the system, not playing new signings etc are terrible. It’s like he is offended that anyone would question any of these things. These are the questions that the fans want to know about so we at least deserve not for him to have a hissy fit and then give us a stock answer.

Things aren’t working Gio. We are already five points behind them in the league. You are presiding over this so at least give us hope that you are hurting about this like we are. Because I don’t see that in your reactions. It’s like the questions are an inconvenience.

Perfectly good acceptable questions about Davies (I just wish Souttar’s name was thrown in there) and the fact none of our new signings started. We’ll done to those who asked!

Gio’s reaction and response again points to some factions of the club no being on the same page. (Recruitment teams and management team)

I believe it’s one of the reasons Gerrard bailed and still seems to be an issue.

The post match press conferences are so much more refreshing and honest when there’s minimal time for David Graham to brief Gio and media of do’s and dont’s.

Definitely one of the most bizarre signings recently.

Hardly kicked a ball and wasn’t rated at Sheffield United.

£3/4m on that is chronic. I would be expecting a semi decent international defender for that amount - not him
the amount of opinion and lies masquerading as fact on this site makes me want to throw the laptop out the window.

Gio is Dutch, the most straight talking and direct people in the world, he's not phased by journos asking questions, he's media savvy and political.

Anyone who heard the roasting RuudvN got after the PSV home game would know Dutch managers do not get an easy ride from their press.

Two minutes ago he was.
You mean like after the psv where he sounded like he's we would then go a sign someone

To a disheartened happy with squad few days later.

That was a ross wilson board decision very similar to the Gerrard exciting times and we then signed bacuna for nothing.

The squad management is atrocious that's not managers job to ensure players arnt going into last few months

It actually brings you on to the Alfie Kent situation being a case of he's thought he could sell them in the summer and they have refused your then left with 2 players who have futures to think about.

If they get long term injured now what happens to their careers.

the amount of opinion and lies masquerading as fact on this site makes me want to throw the laptop out the window.

Gio is Dutch, the most straight talking and direct people in the world, he's not phased by journos asking questions, he's media savvy and political.

Anyone who heard the roasting RuudvN got after the PSV home game would know Dutch managers do not get an easy ride from their press.

Not really a great review here.

• Angry
Reactions: R-M
How wide are you making that category of “top clubs in European football”.

Have to be about 25 to fit Ajax and Napoli in.
Ajax won every champions league group game last season and Napoli are worthy leaders at top of Serie A. They are both top European clubs and in excellent form.

Looks like a sack race between GVB and Ross Wilson then because the relationship clearly ain’t working it and the squad is being taken backwards the fans deserve better and hopefully the manager reveals the truth shortly behind the signings

The DOF position makes no sense. His job is to sign a manager and players that give continuity to the club. In effect he determines the so called "footballing strategy". He supplies players for the manager that play in a certain way but what happens when the manager doesnt want those players? I think we can all see the results.

The DOF position makes no sense. His job is to sign a manager and players that give continuity to the club. In effect he determines the so called "footballing strategy". He supplies players for the manager that play in a certain way but what happens when the manager doesnt want those players? I think we can all see the results.

DoF model is fine but it needs the DoF and the manager to be working as a team.

It's all well and good hinting that he's not happy with recruitment but we need some honesty.

Come out and tell us if certain players have been somewhat forced on to him or if he had better targets in mind.

I know it's bad PR and causes friction but I don't care. He owes it to himself and the fans to be honest.

Easy question at the next presser - “Gio, do you have any input in the transfer activity of the club. If you do, explain why they are not playing, if you don’t, why not?”

DoF model is fine but it needs the DoF and the manager to be working as a team.

Sorry but that isnt the case. The Director of Football is the person that sets the standard. He decides on who gets the manager role and what players are signed. That's the whole point of a DOF.

Davie Edgar “no aSkInG tHe DiFfKuLt QuEStIOnS” there I see :D

It was a fair question and if the manager isn’t happy with recruitment he shouldn’t be pretending that a youngster he’s been reluctant to throw in at times is now all of a sudden way up the pecking order on training merit ffs.
It would have been better asking why we had a recognised CH ( King) on the bench and an unrecognised CH in Sands playing out of position.?

£3/4m on that is chronic. I would be expecting a semi decent international defender for that amount - not him
I’m going to be honest I know very little about Davies other than he was going to the scum before Liverpool took him when they had no fit CH’s. You are the first person I’ve seen on here talk that way about him as most others reckon the guy is a class act?

I’m not even sure if he ever played for Liverpool as Klopp played Henderson there or Fabinho whenever I saw them during that time.

Was discussed in summer but my view is our CD players are not at EL level even less CL grade and I don’t think there is any evidence to counter this .
The first goal last night us a perfect example of one of the deficiencies but it runs deeper than that .

It’s where we need to establish a much higher athletic standard imo

you said we could have scored but didn't and haven't for 3 games now. You says the gulf is huge in Europe would you day the same to zagbreb or Salzburg.
His comment about not being able to compete is true to an extent, but is invalidated based on his SPFL away form.

We can, at least make it difficult to score. With Gerrard, we complained he only had a Plan A and very rarely switched to other formations.

With GvB it's the reverse.

And in all honesty, I think it confuses the players. I don't see GvB lasting and I say that as someone who was concerned last season. The signs were there in the SPFL.

How was he scared to play Hibs away? We are completely in control of the game until two players got sent off? Who's this manager who will take this group of players and shape a team that will win the league this season? Santa Claus? There's no chance this squad is winning the league this year and the scum dropping points because they have backed their manager. None. Zero.

We lose or draw it's because of the manager? We win and it's lucky? Fair enough.
Hibs are shite, like absolute shite.

To not have them beat after 45 minutes is poor IMO, maybe we should compare their budget to ours and see if that statement is reflective of that statemt

His comment about not being able to compete is true to an extent, but is invalidated based on his SPFL away form.

We can, at least make it difficult to score. With Gerrard, we complained he only had a Plan A and very rarely switched to other formations.

With GvB it's the reverse.

And in all honesty, I think it confuses the players. I don't see GvB lasting and I say that as someone who was concerned last season. The signs were there in the SPFL.
Replacing Gio is an absolute must however what is even more important is replacing Wilson

'Hardly kicked a ball'? Its fair to say he missed a good number of matches, mostly through being out for short periods of a week (only one lengthy period in January for 'personal reason'). He did, however, make 22 appearances in the League. 21 of them as starts and played the full 90 minutes in all but one of those starts (where he played 85 minutes).

I expect him to start against both United and Hearts, in preparation for starting against Liverpool as well. I fully expect him to make that position his own.

Never played like they were stale Imo

In terms of subs we seen Matondo Tillman Colak so we had a few signings contributing there I would say and Davies plus Lawrence both injured Ben seems not yet in condition according to GvB who will know best . No ?
I honestly didn't find anything wrong with that PC. He was asked questions, he answered, end of. Yes its clear some new signings are not the best by their own performances, Tillman and Motondo as to that the gutless pace lacking of Kamara and you realize where some problems are. Colak is not Morelos that's all you can say in regards him, he will score goals in SPFL but Morelos is far superior. Our biggest issue is still money.

Why did he agree to it? Surely the manager gets the final say on pulling the trigger on a player?

If not and he is accepting any old shite served up by Wilson then more fool him.

This is the DoF model that most posters wanted to see.

It’s the model that Gio was recruited into.

The relationship between the manager and DoF always has a high potential to break down. There’s lots of positives about the model but there’s also lots of negatives (which we’re seeing now)

The root issue is whether both can remain on the sane page.

Both in this instance were on different pages (or atleast maybe the board were). Gio after the PSV game clearly expected more movement in the transfer front. Fast forward a few days and he’s a dejected figure saying he’s “happy that we done our business early”. (I don’t think anyone in the world believed him)
The goal posts were moved or they were on different pages. Either way, it’s not good for the team.

He didn’t like that question about Ben Davies, then his comment on the new signings where he says he can see how players are playing and training and he picks the team based on that. Clearly not impressed with some of them

Tbh these questions should be getting asked we should be always asking why we have made these signings and not one was deemed good enough to start. I’m really worried about this season if I’m honest something isn’t right.

The DOF role only works if the DOF is good. It looks like our DOF isnt very good

Having seen it in action for two years and the subsequent state of our current squad, I think I'd rather revert to the likes of John Park leading the scouting and recruiting/trading in consort with the manager

Not a Gio fan boy just looking at the bigger picture.

The manager has been let down. Lets sack him and replace him with a wee gamble that again will be let down by recruitment.
It's a gamble keeping him too.

Someone will need to explain the DOF role to me. I thought it ws purely to identify possible options not to actually decide on who to purchase.

Fight is all we can really ask for.

The gulf in quality is something we can’t really bridge at this level, a situation made worse when most of the players we signed in the summer aren’t felt to be good enough to merit a start.
We were competing fine with Benfica home and away 2 years ago and they beat Juventus in Turin last night.

What you have said just isn't true. If we had proper recruitment over the last 2 years we would be more than able to compete at this level.

He supplies players for the manager that play in a certain way but what happens when the manager doesnt want those players? I think we can all see the results.
This is what I don't get.

Doesn't Wilson rely on scouts to identify players, based on a discussion with GvB on what we need?

Then DOF also talks to manger to consider who he wants to keep or sell?

All within a budget set out by the Executive team?

If the money is not there, the GvB would decide on priorities.

If it doesn't work like that, then I'm not surprised we're a shambles.

I'd respect Gio more if he actually came out and said how he really felt.

That he's not happy with the recruitment and the Director of Football.

But he's a yes man.

I’m going to be honest I know very little about Davies other than he was going to the scum before Liverpool took him when they had no fit CH’s. You are the first person I’ve seen on here talk that way about him as most others reckon the guy is a class act?

I’m not even sure if he ever played for Liverpool as Klopp played Henderson there or Fabinho whenever I saw them during that time.
He had one of the worst defensive stats for aerial duals in the English Championship last season - that had the alarm bells ringing for me, even more so after the goals conceded against Celtic & Ajax. A quick look on the Sheffield Utd forum when first linked did not relinquish my fears! Clearly another Ross Wilson signing that our coaching team are reluctant to play.

When hes saying much the same thing after Celtic, Ajax and now Napoli you have to worry.

Particularly when he doesnt seem annoyed by what hes witnessed.

It suggests there will be little change in his approach.

Hes either stubborn or clueless. Or both.

One take from that, when answering the 2nd question, he mentions being happy with the speed of the play and the speed of the thinking which is fair enough.

This is the biggest criticism I would level at Gio as manager though. Time and time again he allows this level to drop off domestically where it is most required this season.

This is what I don't get.

Doesn't Wilson rely on scouts to identify players, based on a discussion with GvB on what we need?

Then DOF also talks to manger to consider who he wants to keep or sell?

All within a budget set out by the Executive team?

If the money is not there, the GvB would decide on priorities.

If it doesn't work like that, then I'm not surprised we're a shambles.

The reason given for us appointing a DOF was to save us having to "rip it up and start again" after the shambles that was Pedro Caxhina. We wanted continuity.

If I remember correctly though we appointed Gerrard before Mark Allan so that makes no sense. We then replace Allan with Wilson. Another strange way to get continuity.

I just dont see how GVB can operate successfully when someone else is calling the shots.

I'd respect Gio more if he actually came out and said how he really felt.

That he's not happy with the recruitment and the Director of Football.

But he's a yes man.

Difficult to criticise your 'boss' and that appears to be the role of a DOF.

One take from that, when answering the 2nd question, he mentions being happy with the speed of the play and the speed of the thinking which is fair enough.

This is the biggest criticism I would level at Gio as manager though. Time and time again he allows this level to drop off domestically where it is most required this season.
The alarm bells started ringing when he came out with the same lame excuses after the doing at the piggery. The same lame excuses he came out with after the doing in February at the same hole. He either learns from these debacles or he won’t be in the job much longer bottom line.

Back