Balogun 2nd clean sheet

QPR fans very impressed. 2 clean sheets in 2 starts.

Wilson and gio deserve everything they get for signing 2 crocks on top of a finished helander.

An utterly astonishing decision to let him go.
Lets not suggest for one minute that Leon has got those clean sheets… QPR have, with Leon on the team sheet.

I do agree that he should have stayed though

Didn't agree with it then and it's not even with hindsight that I disagree with it now. We've spent £4m on a defender that's been kept out of the side by a midfielder filling in and an 18 year old when we had a very reliable and experienced defender already at the club who was desperate to stay

QPR fans very impressed. 2 clean sheets in 2 starts.

Wilson and gio deserve everything they get for signing 2 crocks on top of a finished helander.

An utterly astonishing decision to let him go.
Yes, considering we kept Greegs 40, Davis 38 and Arfield 33, releasing a decent centre-back who was 34 didn't make sense, when you see who we have signed to replace him.
The big man featured in 37 of our games last season.

hahaha fucking hell!

Gio didn't offer him a 1 year deal only for Leon to say "haw Gio I want two years!"

That blame is at Ross Wilson's door on that one!

He was a fine defender, he never did anything last season that suggested a dramatic deterioration.
It is another reason that I can't work out Gio's strategy.

He doesn’t have a strategy.

He doesn’t have a football philosophy other than play it in the horseshoe at the back. It’s why twice today when jack and lundstrum broke into the last third they stopped and had zero idea what to do. It’s why kent is being hung out to dry being told to stay high and wide.

He doesn’t have a strategy.

He doesn’t have a football philosophy other than play it in the horseshoe at the back. It’s why twice today when jack and lundstrum broke into the last third they stopped and had zero idea what to do. It’s why kent is being hung out to dry being told to stay high and wide.
Kent continually comes back towards Barasic instead of running into space in front of his full-back.
This constricts the game and makes it easier for opposition players to defend.
At other times when the ball is in the last third and coming in from the right, Kent fails to attack the back post or sometimes even to attack space inside the box.
That is why Kent doesn't score goals.
Honestly, a blind man can see it.

By the way Barasic had a very decent game again.

37 games last season, eleven of them in Europe.
Fair point but he also missed 18 games. Maybe it just seemed like he was injured more than he actually was.

Solid big defender though and I would certainly rather have him than playing Sands.

Fair point but he also missed 18 games. Maybe it just seemed like he was injured more than he actually was.

Solid big defender though and I would certainly rather have him than playing Sands.
No disrespect to Sands but we played a rookie in a position he was unconvincing in and let an experienced international center-half go.
I suppose it is hindsight, but it was a huge error and those close to running the team are culpable.

Kent continually comes back towards Barasic instead of running into space in front of his full-back.
This constricts the game and makes it easier for opposition players to defend.
At other times when the ball is in the last third and coming in from the right, Kent fails to attack the back post or sometimes even to attack space inside the box.
That is why Kent doesn't score goals.
Honestly, a blind man can see it.

By the way Barasic had a very decent game again.
I thought barisic was our motm

The decision to let Balogun go was the correct one however the reasons as to why it is correct (not good enough for where we want to be, injury prone) make no sense when we’re dishing out new deals to Davis and signing players who are constantly injured

Hindsight loyal out in force tonight

Will be the same when we eventually lose the likes of Davis, Jack, arfield.

"We should have offered an extension"

Even though every week someone is saying we need to get rid of them "they are past it" or "we need to allow a pathway for the youth players"

I was sad to see balogun leave, but Leon King is getting a game and that's the model the club needs to go down

Just because we are not very good at that back does not mean Balogun would’ve been the answer.

He regressed significantly last season.

Roofe played 36 in each of the last 2 seasons.

Is that the difference between injury prone and not?
It depends.
How many games was Balogun available for compared to how many he played and again the same with Roofe.
By the way, if Balogun had played on Wednesday and we had gained at least a point, which wasn't beyond the realms of the possible, wouldn't the money we earned from that point have justified his presence?

Loved Balogun but re-signing him would’ve been the same type of decision that’s seen us never improve.

Sometimes good players need to go before they decline.

It depends.
How many games was Balogun available for compared to how many he played and again the same with Roofe.
By the way, if Balogun had played on Wednesday and we had gained at least a point, which wasn't beyond the realms of the possible, wouldn't the money we earned from that point have justified his presence?
No idea but would suggest they both played in most games they were available for. Roofe was fit but unavailable for the first few European games through suspension which lowers his appearances too.

I would not have been adverse to keep Balogun. With hindsight, given the issues we have with central defenders, it may be one that Rangers may wish they had dealt with differently.

Reactions: cav
No idea but would suggest they both played in most games they were available for. Roofe was fit but unavailable for the first few European games through suspension which lowers his appearances too.

I would not have been adverse to keep Balogun. With hindsight, given the issues we have with central defenders, it may be one that Rangers may wish they had dealt with differently.
Yes, hindsight is easy.
However, Gio and his staff were close to this matter and they are paid to get it right.
Maybe they have been unlucky, but we don't need unlucky generals, we need winners.

Should have been tied up on a decent contact with us, but Wilson and/or GVB didn't see him a good fit. Ludicrous
He also did a job for us at right back, so given that we preferred to play an injured Tav rather than his understudy, perhaps it was a double error in letting him go.
Easy to say, I know.

Out of interest, has Beale played the same we we did under Gerrard as it was widely known as his tactics or has he tweaked anything now that he is out on his own?

People on this forum knocking Balogun and saying he regressed last season?

He bossed his opposite number in most old firm games, and performed admirably in Europe.

We've significantly regressed defensively and its no coincedence its since balogan left.

People on this forum knocking Balogun and saying he regressed last season?

He bossed his opposite number in most old firm games, and performed admirably in Europe.

We've significantly regressed defensively and its no coincedence its since balogan left.
Almost as if our best CB left for 25 million and then we re-signed his partner because nobody in the English Premier League or English Championship wanted him on a free.

We're looking at this as being a solution we missed.

The solution was to sign a better centre back who could play. Instead we have a bunch of injured centre backs and are playing a midfielder or a kid alongside Goldson.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isnt it?

Had Souttar, Helander and Davies not been injured Balogun wouldn't be getting a second thought.

We have a bloated squad and our wage bill is fairly high I’d say, signing a 6th centre back would have been madness.

Lets also not pretend Balogun never made mistakes or cost us.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isnt it?

Had Souttar, Helander and Davies not been injured Balogun wouldn't be getting a second thought.

We have a bloated squad and our wage bill is fairly high I’d say, signing a 6th centre back would have been madness.

Lets also not pretend Balogun never made mistakes or cost us.

I’d have had Balogun over Davies and 3 million spent on midfield all day. That’s not hindsight either TBH

I’d have had Balogun over Davies and 3 million spent on midfield all day. That’s not hindsight either TBH

Davies has played 89 minutes of football for us and subsequently got injured.

Are you actually writing off a player yet to play a full 90 minutes for us?

Knowing Wilson we’d have re-signed Balogun and spent £3m on a right back.

Davies has played 89 minutes of football for us and subsequently got injured.

Are you actually writing off a player yet to play a full 90 minutes for us?

Knowing Wilson we’d have re-signed Balogun and spent £3m on a right back.

It felt like a redundant signing at the time, it’s nothing to do with the player…it’s the strategy

Re the last point it’s Wilson AND Gio, a manager can’t simply be removed of all fault for signings, it’s nonsense

The kind of indifference re transfers only happens when a team is gash as ways for people looking to excuse a manager

It felt like a redundant signing at the time, it’s nothing to do with the player…it’s the strategy

Re the last point it’s Wilson AND Gio, a manager can’t simply be removed of all fault for signings, it’s nonsense

The kind of indifference re transfers only happens when a team is gash as ways for people looking to excuse a manager

We need to remove both Wilson and Gio, together they are a disaster.

Resigning Balogun would have made no difference to how crap we have been / are.

We need to remove both Wilson and Gio, together they are a disaster.

Resigning Balogun would have made no difference to how crap we have been / are.
Exactly, not one bit of difference is made having that other CB, same as Davies

So the fee should have went on CM

We lost Bassey and Balogun, they had already been replaced by Yilmaz and Soutter, we had the numbers there already

Davies is just an illogical addition even at the time so if not needed at best just sign the guy who was free to improve another area

Letting him go was the correct decision. The fact he’s signed for QPR kinda proves that.

As much as people like to shit on our defence, it’s fair to point out that they were good enough to get a clean sheet away to PSV and qualify for the CL.

I like Balogun, both as a player and a person, but releasing him was the right move. If we had re-signed him then the club would’ve been criticised in the same way they were for the Davis, Arfield and McGregor contracts.

Back