The Sash and Derrys Walls

Were regularly sung at Scotland matches in the 60s right up into the 70s, Celtic players also booed. FFS we've now came full circle and the filth have taken over, where did it all go wrong.

1986 - Anti-English, Anti-Rangers stirred.

2007 - Anti-Union now in full swing, Anti-Rangers now in place in key areas.

2012 - Full on Anti-Rangers in place from all levels of Scotland. Job complete.

The sfa pursued an anti rangers agenda ( alienating your core customer base is a dangerous strategy) and a new breed of anti rangers tartan army took over

Couldn’t care less about those songs not being sung at Scotland games. Don’t see any relevance whatsoever.

There’s definitely been an anti Rangers sentiment rising in recent years, which I put down to, the constitutional question and 2014, plus there being a lot of Aberdeen fans (and others that rarely get European away days) within the tartan army. It’s similar with the England fanbase in which a big proportion are fans of ‘smaller’ teams.

The 90s killed off alot of support.

Choosing dumplings that played for lesser teams that weren't really that good over title winning rangers players done it for me.

Mccoist only had 60 odd caps. He had 15 seasons at rangers. The WC90 and 98 we're to prove an SFA point that subsequently didn't work.

Unless I'm mistaken, I've got a vague recollection of home & away fans singing the sash together during a Scotland vs Northern Ireland game in the early 90s.

May have only been a few pockets of fans, but seemed pretty vocal throughout the stadium!

I was at Scotland games in the 70’s. Heard the Sash and Derry’s Walls often. When we played Northern Ireland in Home internationals. May have been some bears joining in but as a whole I never recall them being sung at other matches. Why would they?
Did have many a sash bash in hotels on trips to Wembley.

The rise of nationalist anti union fervour became the acceptable image of national football
Sadly we allowed that. Yet another aspect of Scottish society where the tail is wagging the dog. I really hope the silent majority will some day find its voice again.

Yes there's been some shit flung our way by the SFA.
This is our Country its a Protestant Country, and I'm of the belief that we take back our National Team.
In doing so it sends out a message to the SNP that the Union isn't ending soon.
Football is the working man,its the Majority, with these clowns claiming our support the snp think they have the grassroots

If it's a crumb of comfort, pretty sure I just heard a pretty decent booing of fields of athenry from the Scotland support.
You did mate, it’s easy for us to call it black or white but there will be plenty of Royalist Unionist but dislike both the OF sides and just want Scotland to win

Were regularly sung at Scotland matches in the 60s right up into the 70s, Celtic players also booed. FFS we've now came full circle and the filth have taken over, where did it all go wrong.
They have been sung at Scotland games but it wasn’t regularly at all and usually when the attendance was quite low.

Tartan Army has been more them the last twenty years.

Even more so the last ten with relationship between ourselves and the SFA etc souring.

I don't remember either song ever being sung at a Scotland game in the 70s.

I do remember most of the support being Rangers fans though.
I agree with Thornton as at no time at all did I ever hear Derry’s Walls or The Sash being sung at a Scotland match back then but a large chunk of the support were certainly Bears.

Changed days.

I went to loads of Scotland Internationals back in the day and although our support was always in the majority I never ever heard either The Sash or Derry's Walls being sung by the crowd.

It was sung in 1974ish against England when we won 2 nil. Hampden was full that day. 2 ogs were the goals.

Absolute pish! I was in the Rangers end that day against England and neither song was sung. Back in those days we did form the majority of the Scotland support but you also got people travelling from all over Scotland to support the team. What I can say is that very few of that other mob attended Scotland games but as I said in an earlier post, I never heard the Sash or Derry's walls being sung. The nearest I ever heard to our supporters making their views known at Hampden was in a World Cup qualifier against West Germany in 1969. Scotland was a goal down, Jimmy Johnstone was playing poorly and our lot wanted Willie Henderson on pronto to replace him. Johnstone started to get stick from members of the crowd and Henderson's name was belted out very loudly. It was the subject of wide comment from the Scottish media the following day. Do you seriously think that if the Sash or Derry's Walls was being belted out it would not have been subject to media comment at the time?

Absolute pish! I was in the Rangers end that day against England and neither song was sung. Back in those days we did form the majority of the Scotland support but you also got people travelling from all over Scotland to support the team. What I can say is that very few of that other mob attended Scotland games but as I said in an earlier post, I never heard the Sash or Derry's walls being sung. The nearest I ever heard to our supporters making their views known at Hampden was in a World Cup qualifier against West Germany in 1969. Scotland was a goal down, Jimmy Johnstone was playing poorly and our lot wanted Willie Henderson on pronto to replace him. Johnstone started to get stick from members of the crowd and Henderson's name was belted out very loudly. It was the subject of wide comment from the Scottish media the following day. Do you seriously think that if the Sash or Derry's Walls was being belted out it would not have been subject to media comment at the time?
So was I and heard it, in fact I'm sure it's just before Pejic scores with the deflection, I also recall the match you mention about Johnston getting it.

No they weren't, at that time Rangers fans got behind the country and the team without any of which you mention. As a support though we were In the majority in the 1960s/ 1970s

There’s definitely been an anti Rangers sentiment rising in recent years, which I put down to, the constitutional question and 2014, plus there being a lot of Aberdeen fans (and others that rarely get European away days) within the tartan army. It’s similar with the England fanbase in which a big proportion are fans of ‘smaller’ teams.

I agree with this.

The 90s killed off alot of support.

Choosing dumplings that played for lesser teams that weren't really that good over title winning rangers players done it for me.

Mccoist only had 60 odd caps. He had 15 seasons at rangers. The WC90 and 98 we're to prove an SFA point that subsequently didn't work.
Alan McInally and Tosh McKinlay being picked ahead of Ally McCoist and Davie Robertson were the types of selection that turned me off from following Scotland

Honestly don’t remember the Sash or Derry’s Walls being sung at Hampden although it wasn’t unusual to see fans wearing Rangers colours and we always sang the National Anthem at kick off

Honestly don’t remember the Sash or Derry’s Walls being sung at Hampden although it wasn’t unusual to see fans wearing Rangers colours and we always sang the National Anthem at kick off
I remember the national anthem being played but don't recall it being sung by the fans. I remember in later years it being roundly booed, one of the reasons it changed to the current dirge we have now.

I remember the national anthem being played but don't recall it being sung by the fans. I remember in later years it being roundly booed, one of the reasons it changed to the current dirge we have now.
It was always sung in the Rangers end although it was booed by others tbh.

Back