Manager interview

If he had played 4 at the back and we got destroyed you would all be saying he was clueless and should have played the 3 central defenders.

We weren’t at our best, but we played one of the best teams in the world ffs.

Worked really well, if it wasn't for McGregor we were pumped. They got in behind us so many times because Davies and King were lost, positionally they didn't know where to go. We had no out ball and that was due to our tactics and some horrific passing because our players looked completely unsure of where they were meant to be. Lundstrum and Davis didn't know when to support or stay. It was all over the place and gave us no ability to cause any threat.

Its fine if you want to keep the score low. I am a bit more ambitious than turning to get beat by a low score.

Just as well we played a keeper then!!

Gio is not the man to take us forward, it's as simple as that.

I think there's players in there being wasted but we need fresh ideas and a change of manager.

It was tactically correct to start with 3 at the back
It was, until it was blatantly obvious that we were getting turned over. Wouldn't say McGregor had to make any outstanding saves but he kept the score line down. Easy to say that's his job but Gio dropped him for McLauglin and has had to change it up as its clear McGregor is the better option.

He's also played Tillman on the right of midfield and continued with Kent when it's been quite obvious he needs time out of the team.

A matter of time until he's gone, in my opinion.

Some really dislike our manager. Tragic.
I don’t dislike him at all. I can however see he isn’t a very good manager.

Who in their right mind continues to play Tillman at RW/RM when we are going to be against it? Continues to play Kent when he has been woeful every week? Makes weird team selections every week and baffling subs?

His squad management is abysmal. Doesn’t give Morelos any minutes against Dundee Utd while only making 2 changes, Davies sits on the bench for weeks without any minutes, Davis barely plays then starts tonight, Sakala barely plays then gets thrown on tonight, Matondo not even in the squad 2 weeks ago then starts against Hearts and the list goes on.

He doesn’t have a clue what his strongest 11 is and he doesn’t have a clue how to manage a squad of players

I’ve been absolutely behind the manager but the last month has been awful - he’s showing no signs of paying attention anything that is going on in front of him.

Dead man waking I’m afraid.

It's beyond dislike. The way some of our support talk about our own, not just the manager, but players and board members, is the stuff you'd expect from that lot talking about us. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and constructive criticism should always be encouraged, but a lot of what we see is pure vitriol. Sad to see tbh.

I give up ffs

How would you have set up a given the quality of opposition tonight?

I’m far from thinking Gio is answer but don’t think that starting the game like that was that bad. Liverpool are light years ahead of us in terms of quality. Go toe to toe from the start and it would have been a lot more than 2 nil.

I just don't see him as a motivator of players.
He just seems to nice.

I want him to do well, I want the team to succeed.
I have always wanted our managers to do well and believed in them all, to a point of course.

Tonight I saw what looked like our manager applauding our opponents scoring a penalty against us.
A far as I was sunk into my chair at the pounding we were taking, that sunk me further into my chair.
Then I turned our match off and started watching Ajax v Napoli.

I don't know if Gio is going to realise, his team selections are not getting the best out of our players.

Lot of hysteria on here, as usual after a defeat. To call for our manage’s head after a 2-0 defeat at probably the toughest venue in club football is next level insane.
That's the point though. It's not just a one off, two nil defeat. Had we been performing at a good level other than this, fans would be annoyed but could accept it. It's the entire lack of positive play that I dislike. Keep the zero etc. How about at least trying to score ourselves? Plenty could see the writing on the wall before tonight. We play negative defensive football yet can't keep teams out.

I don't dislike Gio. I think he appears to be a really nice guy. I think he wants the best for the team but I think we have regressed massively as a team under him. I think he is too negative. I think our style of play is boring.

I would love it to be completely different but we cannot continue to blindly support him and kid on its all okay. Even that Hearts game people are thinking we turned a corner. That game could easily have been 3-3 at half time, we gave away some really big chances but some awful finishing from Hearts meant they didn't score. Second half were we should've been relentless in getting goals against a 10 man team to improve our goal difference we just slowly moved the ball about and it was dreadful.

The most negative manager we have ever had, i can understand the caution against a top Liverpool team but when we go out with the same negativity against teams at the lower end of the SPFL then questions need asked.

We have players who loved to bomb forward and contribute but that has been drained out of them
Jeez, we got to Manchester parking the bus in loads of games. Walter played loads of negatives games. However, we had match winners in that squad and that helped us (and better players).
I just see a team with no heart and a manager that can’t motivate the players to show any kind of fight.

Majority don’t.
How has he improved our European record?

He’s taken us back to a laughing stock of the 90’s.

I’m not Gio’s biggest fan but to say he’s taken us back to being a laughing stock is utter p*sh!!

We were in a European final a few months ago FFS.

We have been drawn in a really tough group and were going toe to toe with Napoli before the sending off. The same Napoli that just pumped Ajax 6-1.

Liverpool are a top 5 in the world team, they are considerably better than us - considerably!!

Knocking the 2 2nd placed teams from Belgium and Holland on the way to qualification doesn’t make us a laughing stock!

Award winning p*sh!!

But that's not true. I'll wager the actual football world sees things differently to a message-board.
We’ll win he-haw under this management team

We’re regressing in every department on the park. Fitness, tactically and player moral is clearly going down week on week.

Staff in any walk of life with poor management will either not give 100% or look to leave, that’s where we are.

Gio hasn’t a clue, every game is pure guesswork on how to set us up. Plays players out of position, runs players into the ground causing injuries (Alfie for one last year and now Tav playing through an injury for weeks)

Bookmark this post…..GVB will NEVER win us the league or make us a better side. Stats show the decline in less than a year.

Position of strength to a far far weaker place, in what industry does that keep a manager his job?!

Who in their right mind continues to play Tillman at RW/RM when we are going to be against it? Continues to play Kent when he has been woeful every week? Makes weird team selections every week and baffling subs?

His squad management is abysmal. Doesn’t give Morelos any minutes against Dundee Utd while only making 2 changes, Davies sits on the bench for weeks without any minutes, Davis barely plays then starts tonight, Sakala barely plays then gets thrown on tonight, Matondo not even in the squad 2 weeks ago then starts against Hearts and the list goes on.

He doesn’t have a clue what his strongest 11 is and he doesn’t have a clue how to manage a squad of players

It's not a surprise he doesn't know the strongest 11 given the extent of the injuries and absences he's had to contend with since early 2022.

With regards to Matondo and Davies, they were suffering from niggles hence a staggered return.

Agree on Tillman on the right. I think with Kent - rightly or wrongly - it's a case of hoping he plays back into form given he's arguably our best attacking player. Starting Kent in Europe isn't exactly an odd decision, especially on the back of his goal at the weekend.

How would you have set up a given the quality of opposition tonight?

I’m far from thinking Gio is answer but don’t think that starting the game like that was that bad. Liverpool are light years ahead of us in terms of quality. Go toe to toe from the start and it would have been a lot more than 2 nil.
I would’ve set us up 4-3-3 Matondo Kent wide Alfie dropping in those two running in behind their fullbacks. It’s were every single side has got joy against them by not sitting back.

I bet you Liverpool we’re delighted we sat in with no pace it was a easy game for them defensively.

Fulham went after them and got joy Brighton Newcastle Man Utd all we sat in I thought it was the wrong move and it’s defeatist the way we set up zero threat at all.

We’re regressing in every department on the park. Fitness, tactically and player moral is clearly going down week on week.

Staff in any walk of life with poor management will either not give 100% or look to leave, that’s where we are.

Gio hasn’t a clue, every game is pure guesswork on how to set us up. Plays players out of position, runs players into the ground causing injuries (Alfie for one last year and now Tav playing through an injury for weeks)

Bookmark this post…..GVB will NEVER win us the league or make us a better side. Stats show the decline in less than a year.

Position of strength to a far far weaker place, in what industry does that keep a manager his job?!

What stats are you referring to? Not being a d*ck, just interested to know.

Jeez, we got to Manchester parking the bus in loads of games. Walter played loads of negatives games. However, we had match winners in that squad and that helped us (and better players).
I just see a team with no heart and a manager that can’t motivate the players to show any kind of fight.
Yes we did and it worked because we knew when to park the bus and hitmon the break, we always had chances in those games.

This kind of setup under GVB is not the same

It's not a surprise he doesn't know the strongest 11 given the extent of the injuries and absences he's had to contend with since early 2022.

With regards to Matondo and Davies, they were suffering from niggles hence a staggered return.

Agree on Tillman on the right. I think with Kent - rightly or wrongly - it's a case of hoping he plays back into form given he's arguably our best attacking player. Starting Kent in Europe isn't exactly an odd decision, especially on the back of his goal at the weekend.
Honest question. Under Gio do you think we have improved as a team?

All I see is regression in every department. We don’t even look fit anymore while previously we were being accused of doping!

I find him utterly depressing to listen to. His tactics are abysmal - most of the time.

Lot of hysteria on here, as usual after a defeat. To call for our manage’s head after a 2-0 defeat at probably the toughest venue in club football is next level insane.
I hear what you're saying. There's no disgrace in losing 2-0 at Anfield. But to turn up with no belief and no obvious plan other than damage limitation is shameful. It's now 4 or 5 matches we had this approach and we've been skelped in all of them. Teams down south are currently giving Liverpool real problems by turning up with intensity, showing them no respect. We have gotten our best results against tough opposition with that attitude. Gio, for some reason thinks this is beyond us at this level. I don't believe he should be managing us if he simply doesn't believe it's worth trying to compete at this level.

Walter’s park the bus in 2008 is miles away from what Gio serves up. We were an organised team under Walter and everyone knew their job. Now not so much.

And won 1 old firm and 0 old firms in 90 minutes. And the points swing last season. Also pumped 3 nil and 4 nil against them lot because he never learned. If it wasnt for the european run. He wouldnt be here

In less than 12 months, a Europa League Final and Champions League qualification bringing significant and much-needed funds into the Club.

We won a domestic trophy, something his predecessor failed to do in a more favorable situation.

He set up tonight to try and contain Liverpool, pretty much what he tried to do against ajax and we paid a heavy price for that. But for McGregor and some poor finishing from Liverpool, that would have been even more embarrassing. What has happened to the team that went and had a go, home and away, against the likes of dortmund, leipzig, porto, feyenord, etc?

I've said it from the start, a dull, boring, uninspiring, lazy appointment. And now we are just killing time as the board/Robertson/Wilson has no idea how to bring this shambles of an appointment to an end.

And if anyone says "I but he got us to an EL final" I don't care.

A dud that took us to a EL final and won the SC in his first season?
He didn’t….it was Gerrard’s team and the team spirit he installed that did

We’ve gone backwards since Gio and his pals arrived, he’s got no clue what he’s doing mate

Back