That was so disappointing, beaten with hardly a whimper.

The Goal Machine

Disappointing not that we got beat, I said In the match thread if we got beat by 2 goals I would claim a moral victory. That display is not a moral victory.

Liverpool are a different level, fitter, faster,better players, better tactics, in short a Champions League team.

Even saying that, our set up made it easy for them, we hardly strung two passes together, the players were spooked, beaten before they started.

I would give the goalkeeper, our man of the match, and the three centre backs pass marks. Tavernier and Lundstram were awful, Gio’s team selection simply did not work . The late subs get pass marks but at a stage when the game was lost.

We have three games left, I don’t want to watch a repeat of this, I want a display like the first half against Napoli, we might not win , but by god, I will at least feel better.

This is a very hard group, we knew this , but Gio, please give us some pride with our performance.

The midfield was the biggest problem before a ball was kicked. Kent and Tillman just sat off their full backs and our 2 in midfield were absolutely ran ragged. Morelos was isolated and getting absolutely no service. Why we keep trying Tillman on the wings is anybody's guess, he offers nothing on the wing but also doesn't deserve to start for us in the middle.

Kent shouldn't start anymore until he proves his worth.

The subs made a positive difference and should really force a rethink for next week.

Last edited:
Disappointing not that we got beat, I said In the match thread if we got beat by 2 goals I would claim a moral victory. That display is not a moral victory.

Liverpool are a different level, fitter, faster,better players, better tactics, in short a Champions League team.

Even saying that, our set up made it easy for them, we hardly strung two passes together, the players were spooked, beaten before they started.

I would give the goalkeeper, our man of the match, and the three centre backs pass marks. Tavernier and Lundstram were awful, Gio’s team selection simply did not work . The late subs get pass marks but at a stage when the game was lost.

We have three games left, I don’t want to watch a repeat of this, I want a display like the first half against Napoli, we might not win , but by god, I will at least feel better.

This is a very hard group, we knew this , but Gio, please give us some pride with our performance.
Exactly.

McGregor,Goldson and possibly King and Davies get pass marks,the rest were awful.
The midfield and both full backs looked lost in the system,Morelos no real service,Kent as usual his decision making appalling,Tillman a lazy shyster.
This.

Tavernier, Tillman and Lundstram looked like they’d never seen a football before, their “ performances” were bordering on embarrassing. Mcmanaman sounded stunned at what he was seeing at times.

Credit to Mcgregor even at his age one of our few players who deserve to be on that stage. Young King at 18 what an experience for that boy. Davies done okay , Morelos worked away with zero service at all. Matondo done well when he came on.

It’s so difficult to watch a Rangers team who look beaten before we cross the white line. And that is basically what we are watching right now in this CL group.

No belief, no positivity , no composure. Nothing.

Sorry but the UCL now makes me think of the HG Wells novel, The Time Machine, where, in the future, two vastly differing species physically occupy the same planet, one cowering under the surface, in thrawl and fear of their physically and technologically superior brethren. It eventually explains that both are decended from the same predecessors but you would never know from looking at them.

No surprise he went 3 at the back after losing the previous 2 game 7-0 on aggregate and the game is Liverpool at Anfield; but he got the personnel all wrong. Why Davis and Tillman stayed on till 65mins was madness, they should never have started; especially Tillman on the right wing. He had the chance to change it at half time but I don't know if he just didn't want to admit he got it wrong and waited until the traditional 65 minute change.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room....ok guys, lets set up the same way we did against the scum and Ajax. We got absolutely pummelled both games but hey, it's only Anfield so it seems like a good idea...!

Fkn torture to watch.....again!

Liverpool's squad is worth nearly a billion quid and they have one of the best managers on the planet. I honestly don't know what you're all greeting about, Gio plays some mad attacking formation tonight and they pick us off to be five up at half time or something equally grim.

The midfield was the biggest problem before a ball was kicked. Kent and Tillman just sat off their full backs and our 2 in midfield were aboutsely ran ragged. Morelos was isolated and getting absolutely no service. Why we keep trying Tillman on the wings us anybody guess, he offers nothing on the wing but also doesn't deserve to start for us in the middle.

Kent shouldn't start anymore until he proves his worth.

The subs made a positive difference and should really force a rethink for next week.
Agreed. Obviously Liverpool made five subs but at the same time I don't think they'd taken their foot off the gas as such either. It was no coincidence that when Sakala, Matondo, Colak and Kamara came on we suddenly looked so much better and far more dangerous as a team. We went from no threat at all to having genuine pace on both flanks willing to run at their full backs and exploit the weakest area defensively of their team, a striker who is only interested in finding space and playing quick one touch passes wide, not backing into defenders twice his size and losing out, and the only midfielder in the squad who can actually take the ball into feet under extreme pressure and not just give it away.

I'd go 4321 with Lundstrum or Sands making it a back 3 without the ball a la last season in Europe, next week, and give them something to seriously worry about on the counter attack.

McGregor
Tav Goldson Davies Barisic
Lundstrum, Jack, Kamara
Sakala Colak Matondo

It was embarrassing.

Same as Ajax.

Same as Celtic.

Lost a handful of goals in each. There's no sign of any positive change. You'll always have cheerleaders on here pretending things are fine. But we did too when we couldn't win in the 4th tier.

Tonight was utterly pitiful. Again. It's what we'll see under Gio. That and not winning the league

You cant allow a team like Liverpool to run at you unchallenged.

You cant allow players like Salah and Jota into the box repeatedly, and allow them into their strongest foot.

You cant have Goldson marking VVD at setpieces.

You cant expect to get anything from a game when you cant string 5 passes together, because you are being outworked by an already superior opposition.

Basics.

You cant allow players like Salah and Jota into the box repeatedly, and allow them into their strongest foot.

You cant expect to get anything from a game when you cant string 5 passes together, because you are being outworked by an already superior opposition.

Basics.
In fairness, who else marks the tallest player on the park lol?

I'm not completely convinced by the manager but it's clear some just want him out and are applying zero context.

We were pinned back by 4 absolutely elite level attackers.

Opening up would have been suicide.

The players were trying but were chasing shadows and we are clearly completely devoid of confidence after 2 doings in the group so far.

Tbh these games are just a hindrance now. You're looking to kick on after Saturday but then have to basically run yourself into the ground just to keep the score down.

Basics.
Aye we'll just shout really loud at Salah and Jota to "stop advancing into our box, you pair of world class players" then aye? Maybe that'll work. Or maybe we'll attempt to jockey/tackle them but they'll just get into our box anyway because they're world class players?

And Goldson, what was he thinking letting "VVD" score from all those set pieces he scored from tonight eh? Dreadful.

You'd think we were playing an away game against a team that's made it to 3 of the last 5 Champions League fucking Finals or something.

That’s all I wanted before the game , a bit of fight, we didn’t get it, i thought Liverpool were poor as well Tbh

Aye we'll just shout really loud at Salah and Jota to "stop advancing into our box, you pair of world class players" then aye? Or maybe we'll attempt to jockey/tackle them but they'll just get into our box anyway because they're world class players?

And aye Goldson what was he thinking letting "VVD" score from all those set pieces he scored from tonight? Dreadful.

Yep. Salah and Jota should be backed off repeatedly, thus creating an illusion of defending, while never getting within 3 yards of them.

That seems like a good plan.

Barisic defends like the other guy has a knife.

It was a pathetic display.
McGregor and Goldson played well. King done well also.

Lundstrum was horrific. As were the rest.

Never gave us anything to shout about until last 15 minutes.
Nobody expects us to beat Liverpool, myself included but at least give it a go.

We slag off the rest of the SPL for their defensive tactics against us. We were worse.

I thought we could have played better but it was also important not to take a hammering like Bournemouth did. Was always going to be a tough game but even more so with Liverpool needing a reaction tonight in a game they had to win. We will give them a better test at Ibrox.

Reactions: TN8
We literally have no spark in our squad, whether skillful, or from a first shaker, we are placid and conditioned.

Our old chant of "get intae them!" would be met with mystification.

Yep. Salah and Jota should be backed off repeatedly, thus creating an illusion of defending, while never getting within 3 yards of them.

That seems like a good plan.

Barisic defends like the other guy has a knife.
So just "go and tackle them" then, aye? Sorted. World class players won't just skip past them meaning 1 less player and more space in front of them.

So just "go and tackle them" then, aye? Sorted.
God forbid.

Just stay in the dressing room and wait for an autographed shirt at the end then? Sorted.

Barisic in particular isnt playing Salah every week. He cannot or will not keep his opponent out of the box.

Are you happy that we’re behind in the league and look ready to be dumped out of europe as the whipping boys of our group?
No one's happy we're behind in the league but it's 2 points a difference in October.

Where and against who did you fancy us to pick up points against in the last 3 games?

That was like watching the Alex Mcleish team sold under his feet to Man United our passive tactics are a disgrace we’re accepting non triers.

God forbid.

Just stay in the dressing room and wait for an autographed shirt at the end then? Sorted.

Barisic in particular isnt playing Salah every week. He cannot or will not keep his opponent out of the box.
But you're talking about tonight when he actually was playing Salah.

Tonight we played a team who have made it to 3 of the last 5 Champions League finals, away from home, got beat 2-0, didn't lose a goal from open play (or a "VVD" set piece) and you're pissing and moaning about our defending.

Tells me you just want something to piss and moan about.

I think most would have taken 2-0 but like too many games recently when that early first goal has gone in it's been game over and damage limitation.

This group of players needed some quality added these past few transfer windows and that clearly hasn't happened.

McGregor stopped it being a repeat of the Ajax game.

Team looked beaten before a ball was kicked once again, it’s pathetic and for me the blame lands at Gio’s door.

The gameplan, or lack thereof, seemed to be whenever we got the ball to pass backwards to Goldson and have him lump it long, it’s pathetic.

Have a go at least, if we get beat we get beat but I’d rather see the team have a crack and lose than do what we done tonight and lose anyway. It’s too negative, we play as if we are shiting ourselves and from first whistle it’s as though we are trying to mitigate the damage.

McGregor,Goldson and possibly King and Davies get pass marks,the rest were awful.
The midfield and both full backs looked lost in the system,Morelos no real service,Kent as usual his decision making appalling,Tillman a lazy shyster.
A system that gets rolled out for the first time in Champions League against Liverpool
Why?
Players that had never played together before in the back 3
Recipie for disaster
Why could our manager not see this?

Back