That was so disappointing, beaten with hardly a whimper.

You can call it doom and gloom but this was meant to be the battle of Britain, champ league finalists v europa league finalists but we stood back and watched Liverpool play with only mcgregor to thank it wasn't a pumping, under gio we are brutal to watch everything is slow and laboured and it ain't gonna change any time soon

Liverpool's squad is worth nearly a billion quid and they have one of the best managers on the planet. I honestly don't know what you're all greeting about, Gio plays some mad attacking formation tonight and they pick us off to be five up at half time or something equally grim.
This is, sadly, true.

Although it doesn't excuse some of what we saw. For example, winning the ball back and just standing still waiting to watch it getting punted up the park, chances to press them and put them under a bit of pressure and playing forward. Lundstram and Davis had plenty of chances to actually turn in the middle in space and drive at the defence and play it forward and they didn't.

The 2nd half I thought was much improved with the introduction of the subs.

Disappointing not that we got beat, I said In the match thread if we got beat by 2 goals I would claim a moral victory. That display is not a moral victory.

Liverpool are a different level, fitter, faster,better players, better tactics, in short a Champions League team.

Even saying that, our set up made it easy for them, we hardly strung two passes together, the players were spooked, beaten before they started.

I would give the goalkeeper, our man of the match, and the three centre backs pass marks. Tavernier and Lundstram were awful, Gio’s team selection simply did not work . The late subs get pass marks but at a stage when the game was lost.

We have three games left, I don’t want to watch a repeat of this, I want a display like the first half against Napoli, we might not win , but by god, I will at least feel better.

This is a very hard group, we knew this , but Gio, please give us some pride with our performance.
So frustrating the amount of times we lost possession and at times couldn't string two passes together and for me we didn't get in their faces enough. You can't give a team like that the amount of space they were given. We defended well and Greegs is our motm. We looked a different team when the changes were made,but too little too late

Woke up this morning and thought did I actually hear Gio saying we are progressing in the Champions League?

I can’t believe at the level he has played at he believes this, surely.

Next day and I still think that was a cowards performance.

Liverpool's squad is worth nearly a billion quid and they have one of the best managers on the planet. I honestly don't know what you're all greeting about, Gio plays some mad attacking formation tonight and they pick us off to be five up at half time or something equally grim.

It's not either black or white, though.

There's a balance to be struck between conservative and cavalier. Unfortunately, for 99% of the game, we went ultra conservative, bypassed the midfield, and offered zero threat.

Depressing, but I expect *much* better at Ibrox a week tonight.

But you're talking about tonight when he actually was playing Salah.

Tonight we played a team who have made it to 3 of the last 5 Champions League finals, away from home, got beat 2-0, didn't lose a goal from open play (or a "VVD" set piece) and you're pissing and moaning about our defending.

Tells me you just want something to piss and moan about.

I was also talking about it in every other big game this season when we have failed to complete the most basic of defending principles. Or at least, go down trying.

By your logic, we shouldn’t even turn up for the next Celtic game. After all, they’ve won 9.75 of the last 10.75 championships, and the Japanese dive bomber is the second coming of Christ.

We should just stay in the house.

2-0 vs Liverpool might sound ok but a growing body of evidence that GVB can't get this team to perform on a regular basis , particularly away from home against top teams.

I love that the ones excusing what we seen last night as purely down to Liverpool being on a ‘different planet’ etc - have quickly forgotten that the tims (on the same planet) pumped us just as easily - and for most of the same reasons we seen on show last night.

These toothless performances are becoming a regular occurrence under this manager.
The vice chairman called them unacceptable. Ajax, scum x2 and now Liverpool. I would throw in Union away as well.
If they are unacceptable, how many does he get?

Woke up this morning and thought did I actually hear Gio saying we are progressing in the Champions League?

I can’t believe at the level he has played at he believes this, surely.

Next day and I still think that was a cowards performance.
The players clearly don't believe in what they are being asked to do in these games. I think the writing is on the wall.

The vice chairman called them unacceptable. Ajax, scum x2 and now Liverpool. I would throw in Union away as well.
If they are unacceptable, how many does he get?
This is it for me.

Better teams than us will lose to Liverpool, Napoli and Ajax but the way we are being beaten is the sickener.

Too often in games under Gio do the team look like they’ve accepted that it’s a forgone conclusion that we’re getting beat and that for me is the issue.

You can accept defeat when the team are just outplayed but they gave it their all, but this pattern of the team curling into a ball and hoping we don’t get battered is grim viewing.

No surprise he went 3 at the back after losing the previous 2 game 7-0 on aggregate and the game is Liverpool at Anfield; but he got the personnel all wrong. Why Davis and Tillman stayed on till 65mins was madness, they should never have started; especially Tillman on the right wing. He had the chance to change it at half time but I don't know if he just didn't want to admit he got it wrong and waited until the traditional 65 minute change.
That was 5-10 min earlier than he usually makes changes. Baby steps

The post doesn't ask for that, nor do any of the following posts.

It was the attitude/timidity that was the problem last night.

And for what it's worth, we could have been braver on the ball without playing some 'mad attacking formation'.

Disappointing not that we got beat, I said In the match thread if we got beat by 2 goals I would claim a moral victory. That display is not a moral victory.

Liverpool are a different level, fitter, faster,better players, better tactics, in short a Champions League team.

Even saying that, our set up made it easy for them, we hardly strung two passes together, the players were spooked, beaten before they started.

I would give the goalkeeper, our man of the match, and the three centre backs pass marks. Tavernier and Lundstram were awful, Gio’s team selection simply did not work . The late subs get pass marks but at a stage when the game was lost.

We have three games left, I don’t want to watch a repeat of this, I want a display like the first half against Napoli, we might not win , but by god, I will at least feel better.

This is a very hard group, we knew this , but Gio, please give us some pride with our performance.
I sadly think that when we are out, this competition, I would like to think that Gio may look back with some regret, and wonder, if only we could have had a real go at this.

But Dutch people are nothing but pragmatic.
And he understands only too well, the restrictions he is under.

Perfect fit for the board.

Think ppl are failing to separate the Billion £ CL team from our own standards and performance. We are so much better than what we showed last night. We've all witnessed it but somehow we have managed to take all the passion of last year's Euro runs and morph into a frightened rabbit like unit. Numerous times last night we were in good positions and constantly over hit, under hit, turned back, no confidence to play in the channels or through the lines. We were always gonna be right up against it but we could have showed a worldwide audience that there was a decent team underneath it all.

Watched it in a hotel in Dubrovnik, quite a few English there and not supporting Liverpool, general census of opinion was we are shit, never looked like giving them a game and were shocked of how passive we are. They remember battle of Britain games being fiery occasions. Would get a better game of a championship side team and we look about Div 1 standard. Sad what we have become in such a short time.

This is champions league football unfortunately, we are miles away from this level, Liverpool pressed the life out of us tonight, we couldn’t cope… simple
Was on a chelses forum once about us (im lpool fan and rangers supporter btw) man said in stadium u see full picture of how much they press and not just one player and for full 90mins, he said no geam can cope. Not chelsea are full of stars and regular in champions league, he said they couldnt cope and they are used to playing top teams week in week out. So its no shame in last night, levels far above. Im finding alot of comments about players not trying or caring extremely poor, they do care but lots of champions league teams dont lay a finger on Liverpool. Rangers have come a long way and i find no shame in last night tbh

Back