We miss Joe Aribo.

AppleBear

I know there are a lot of things wrong with the team right now, although defensively last night we were much better, Goldson in particular.

When we brought in Tillman and seen the first glimpse of him at the start of the season, it was looking very positive that he could offer us similar to Aribo in terms of his ball control and skill.

However, one thing we are absolutely missing in this team is Aribo's ability to recycle the ball for us. It was one of his greatest assets that I think a lot of people overlooked. We don't have anyone doing this for us and we are so much worse off because of it. Aribo would constantly look to win the ball back, and that quite often created a lot of our forward play.

It was always going to be hard (impossible) to replace Aribo & Bassey with like-for-like replacements but I genuinely thought the money would be used to strengthen the overall starting 11.

We're still playing Steven Davis in CM, in the Champions League, at Anfield. I'm not even sure we have any sellable assets now, so the 'business model' has lasted one season.

I know there are a lot of things wrong with the team right now, although defensively last night we were much better, Goldson in particular.

When we brought in Tillman and seen the first glimpse of him at the start of the season, it was looking very positive that he could offer us similar to Aribo in terms of his ball control and skill.

However, one thing we are absolutely missing in this team is Aribo's ability to recycle the ball for us. It was one of his greatest assets that I think a lot of people overlooked. We don't have anyone doing this for us and we are so much worse off because of it. Aribo would constantly look to win the ball back, and that quite often created a lot of our forward play.
Tillman plays walking football unfortunately.

I’m sorry but that’s just a nonsense. People really do have short memories or like to change history. The reality is Joe Aribo was really poor when he came back from AFCON. His performance against the scum when we got beat 2-1 is one of the most heartless performances I’ve ever seen from a Rangers player. I’d be questioning why we are starting a Champions League game at Anfield with 37 year old Steven Davis instead of being deluded about Aribo.

It's not helped that his replacement is injured. The Lawrence injury still infuriates me. He'd played the majority of the PSV game and we decided to ask him to finish the Ross County match up front in a game that was already won. He should have been subbed for Sakala.

Now he ends up with a worse injury while trying to rehab.

I’m sorry but that’s just a nonsense. People really do have short memories or like to change history. The reality is Joe Aribo was really poor when he came back from AFCON. His performance against the scum when we got beat 2-1 is one of the most heartless performances I’ve ever seen from a Rangers player. I’d be questioning why we are starting a Champions League game at Anfield with 37 year old Steven Davis instead of being deluded about Aribo.
You obviously watched a different player from most. Like many, Aribo had moments of poor form but his effort was rarely questioned. Gerrard referred to him as the most important player in the team at one point. That he could be relied upon basically in any position to give 110% and we benefitted from that on so many occasions.

The wider point I am making is that we are badly missing this attribute at the same time as having not improved the CM options at all.

The points made about Lawrence are spot on. Had we seen more of him, he absolutely looked like he could offer us similar to Aribo. Problem is, we're unlikely to see him before January now.

It was always going to be hard (impossible) to replace Aribo & Bassey with like-for-like replacements but I genuinely thought the money would be used to strengthen the overall starting 11.

We're still playing Steven Davis in CM, in the Champions League, at Anfield. I'm not even sure we have any sellable assets now, so the 'business model' has lasted one season.
Keep in mind Bassey got 6 put past him last night

There is 2 ways to look at how Aribo would have had on last nights result.

An on form Aribo from April/May last season was definitely missed last night

The off form Aribo from February/March that returned from African nations cup would have suffered the same fate as everyone else last night

The "Ajax model" is a myth. Sell your best players and use the money to "strengthen"?

Patterson, Aribo and Bassey. Jesus wept

Small point re Aribo. Hasn't been a regular starter for Southampton in the EPL. Not a criticism of him but it probably does show the difference between the EPL and SPL, which was seen big time last night

Aribo and Bassey have been huge losses and we have failed badly in replacing them. Lawrence to be fair looked as though he was starting to settle in, so frustrating he's out long term now.

Small point re Aribo. Hasn't been a regular starter for Southampton in the EPL. Not a criticism of him but it probably does show the difference between the EPL and SPL, which was seen big time last night
Has he not played nearly all their games so far?

We certainly do but many of the experts on here didn’t rate him that highly. He was a tremendous player for us a big miss.

Aribo was a good all rounder.

Had touch, intensity, tackled and popped up in unpredictable spaces.

We definitely miss him, particularly as Lawrence (closest type of player) is now out.

from my Brugge thread.

Last season we had Aribo for height, ball retention and threat and Bassey for skill and physicality. We were underestimated, especially at home, Tav and Lundstum were mainlining pure inspiration, the coach got it spot on and there was unity of purpose, a lack of injuries also helped.

I also think Joe & Calvin brought a real connection amongst the young team in the dressing room and Balogun was like a cool father figure, we miss all 3 in terms of squad dynamic (is my hunch).

And our injuries are killing us.
And it is a season too far for Davo, Jacko, Scotty with Alfie, Goldson and Razza all well below par.

Haha. I’m originally from Southampton and my family down there love him, they say everyone loves him.
I’ve been keeping an eye on their results since he went there and their fans on Twitter seem to love him.

A thing I have seen mentioned by them is that he plays the way he does because he’s consistently played European football. We’ve brought in Tillman who is essentially a youth player and threw him to the wolves at Anfield.

Aribo and Kamara might not be (or have been) our best players domestically - but they were key men as ball retainers, recycling, taking the ball in tight spots etc in tough European games. This was a massive miss for us last night in terms of getting some control in the game - alongside the shitshow of those tactics

Tbh, Aribo is history now.
The man we really miss is Tom Lawrence, imo.

We saw the massive contribution he made in both PSV games.
Aggression, in and out of possession, a great striker of the ball and a genuine goalscorer, as well as his assist ability.

He would've been a massive player against Ajax Napoli and Liverpool.

I think the OP is right as much as Aribo was someone who was pretty consistent in being available for the ball, and had the capability to then do something constructive with it.

I think Lawrence was shaping up to be that for us and it is rank rotten luck that he’s had injury problems since a good start to his Rangers career.

Lawrence was intended as the direct replacement for Aribo IMO (maybe to play a slightly different role but as a player replacement it makes sense). I think Matondo was replacing Kent and Colak replacing Morelos, both of those purchases done in the believe that either/both of the players refusing new deals would go over last summer or this upcoming window.

Most of all we are lacking players with presence at the moment - nobody is really leading that team.

Even if Lawrence wasnt injured, the idea that we have no other player of this type is ridiculous. Given the crucial role to the team.

Instead we have players too old or unfit to be able to play a full game at the required level and on the evidence of recent matches perhaps not even part of a game.

I wish our 'Model' featured a DoF trading element.

On the other hand, although a midfielder he is their joint top scorer in that league.

Think some are now seeing what he brought to the side.

Yes he had his off days but he also done a lot of work that went unnoticed.

We had to sell, but he was always going to be very hard to replace

Aribo and definitely Hagi

Some players can adjust to playing out of position, Tillman struggles. That's on the manager to stand by. Also let's no forget Tillman was a huge reason we made the CL group stages.

Aribo left a different player than when he come in, also prone to being out of form. I do agree he is missed at times, his physicality and being a utility player.

It's like Hagi/Arfield or even Lowry if he was played there, we will never get the best out of them out on the right.

Lawrence would fit that mould more than Tillman I feel.

But your right, the glimpses of him were very positive.

I now see Tillman as a passenger for us most of the time. Which is a dam shame.

He’s just not a player to play out wide. Doesn’t have the energy or work rate to play there. He needs to be through the middle and close to Čolak or Alfie.

Even if Lawrence wasnt injured, the idea that we have no other player of this type is ridiculous. Given the crucial role to the team.

Instead we have players too old or unfit to be able to play a full game at the required level and on the evidence of recent matches perhaps not even part of a game.

I wish our 'Model' featured a DoF trading element.
Hagi or Lowry would probably do a decent job but we are having no luck with injuries either

Been saying this for a number of weeks, I didnt think we'd miss him as much as we do. Southampton got a great deal on him, 6 million will buy %^*& all these days

He was inconsistent yes but we clearly miss him and Bassey, we’re an ordinary team now.

We need guys of that quality all throughout the team and even then it’s a big ask to cope at that level.

Hagi or Lowry would probably do a decent job but we are having no luck with injuries either
Hagi will not play again this season and was always going to struggle to make any sort of playing impact. Rangers and Gio knew this well.

Lowry I like a lot and would be happy to see him tried but Gio doesnt seem so sure. Again if he knew that he needed another player.

Hopeless prep by Gio & Ross Wilson.

Back