Phil Foden

Aye why play a player in which has formed a deadly partnership with the most in form striker in the world whilst playing for arguably the best coach in the world?

Put Kent in instead of Sterling or Saka and you wouldn't see a difference.

I personally think USA have a better starting 11, no point looking for excuses or blaming Southgate.. No guarantees Foden would have done anything either...

To be fair I think there’s a good reason why he never took Toney :))
Because the gambling thing? He’s not been banned yet so why not take him?? If he’s your best and gives you better chance of winning? It’s stupid what he’s done but unless he’s been throwing games I think what’s the harm.

Don’t know why England fans are suddenly so upset about the team selection, all I heard on Monday was how good they are after demolishing that footballing powerhouse Iran

Every top club in Europe would take Foden at the drop of a hat, whereas only a desperate Chelsea wanted Sterling.

Because the gambling thing? He’s not been banned yet so why not take him?? If he’s your best and gives you better chance of winning? It’s stupid what he’s done but unless he’s been throwing games I think what’s the harm.
He will almost certainly face a lengthy ban given the amount of bets he has been caught doing, and what others have been given previously for similar,

The harm is it’s against the rules and everyone knows it is. There was no way he was being picked in those circumstances.

He will almost certainly face a lengthy ban given the amount of bets he has been caught doing, and what others have been given previously for similar,

The harm is it’s against the rules and everyone knows it is. There was no way he was being picked in those circumstances.
Probably true - didn’t actually know it was that much, just googled. Knew there was a charge or whatever. Anyway doesn’t move from the point of Southgate just being a bit meh in all fronts. He’s the English Craig Brown in that he’ll probably end with one of best records as coach but really has little value or push the squad/team to be best it can.

Bear in mind it’s the FA who will dish out his punishment so I don’t think it’s realistic for them to do that.

Not sure if this is relevant and it has nothing to do with his footballing ability, but he looks like a right knob. I felt I had to say it.
Aye, but naw, but aye..... Roy Keane beard!

think it was Simon & Garfunkel that said it...
"I'd Rather be a Knob than a Dick" :p

(Foden, tremendous player, should be starting)

I detest Southgate, he’s the luckiest English Manager ever, inheriting some of the best young talent English clubs have ever produced, yet he still makes an arse of it.

If England go on and win this work cup it will be despite Gareth Southgate…. But he’ll then go down in legend as the greatest Manager in history

Previously stated that I never watch any football outside of Rangers,
but had to have a wee peek last night - and got a turgid box tick after
10 minutes.

I’ll admit I don’t really watch a lot of EPL football, but clips of him make out he’s the greatest thing since Gazza (well, forgetting all the other greatest things since - Rooney, Owen, Cole, Walcott, etc, etc, etc) and yet I remember he was distinctly underwhelming during the Euros last year.

Could it be he’s just not as good as folk make out?

I detest Southgate, he’s the luckiest English Manager ever, inheriting some of the best young talent English clubs have ever produced, yet he still makes an arse of it.

If England go on and win this work cup it will be despite Gareth Southgate…. But he’ll then go down in legend as the greatest Manager in history
"the greatest Manager in history" - I think you meant?

Sir Alf Ramsey?

Iran who were excellent yesterday and sit 2nd in the group. The point I was making is the fickle nature of football fans, who were praising Southgate for his team selection, use of subs and pumping Iran, and now he should resign for failing to beat the USA and his team selection is poor.

Iran were utter shite and so were Wales, geez peace :))

He should be starting every game. Playing under guardiloa, think he is most decorated player in the squad? Starts for best team in England yet on the bench, absolute nuts
Pep hasn't started him a whole lot either recently much to my surprise and detriment of fantasy points :)

Great player though!

Had ptsd watching England last night. Flashbacks to the utter shitshow of watching a gio team. The horse shoe was in full effect at times, making random subs that didn’t affect the game, and toiling to a draw having bored everyone for 90 odd minutes.
It did remind me of watching us under Gio.

Or flip it. USA were fit and organised and the better side despite having inferior players. Just shows what organisation, fitness, tactics and athleticism can do like in our euro exploits last year

I doubt it will happen but I'd rest Kane for the Wales game. He didn't look to be moving freely at all.

Foden and Rashford in, Mount and Kane out.

It did remind me of watching us under Gio.

Or flip it. USA were fit and organised and the better side despite having inferior players. Just shows what organisation, fitness, tactics and athleticism can do like in our euro exploits last year
And you could see why sands and Tillman didn’t make the squad

I’m still trying to see if there’s anything that proves Grealish is a £100m player cos I think he’s mince.
Maybe it's just me, but for every time I see him doing something decent with the ball there are a hundred times where he just takes it for a walk and goes around in circles like a dog looking for a place to shite, and then falls over.

Just the English pundits making excuses

At the Euros they were saying why doesn't Grealish play

The English think they have a divine right to win every game

Southgate has done a damn good job sadly and in his defence it was the same side that pumped Iran so why wouldn't he keep the same team

Just the English pundits making excuses

At the Euros they were saying why doesn't Grealish play

The English think they have a divine right to win every game

Southgate has done a damn good job sadly and in his defence it was the same side that pumped Iran so why wouldn't he keep the same team
Bit unfair on the English. They rightly expect to beat Iran and USA.

LIke we expect to beat St Johnstone and Livingston as we have better players.

But wins have to be earned.

Bit unfair on the English. They rightly expect to beat Iran and USA.

LIke we expect to beat St Johnstone and Livingston as we have better players.

But wins have to be earned.
yes true they probably should be beating them but nobody was complaining before the game about the line up

Mount is not as good an attacker as Foden but probably offers more in a midfield battle so i can see why he played. Sterling and Kane are virtually 1st picks and Saka is in a great vein of form

If Gio had beat Hibs 6-2 and then dropped one of those players, everyone on here would complain about chopping and changing

The guy cant win, whod be a manager eh haha

Listening to Southgate speak after the game, it’s clear that he doesn’t even consider Foden as an option at number ten.

He’s a wide forward option in his eyes and nothing else.

I find that a very strange take.

Probs been covered in another thread but not starting him never mind bringing him on is a disgrace. This sort of decision making is signing Southgate’s resignation.
Would never be out my starting 11.

So direct, makes things happen and glides across the pitch.

Southgate's post match interview was embarrassing as well.

Seemed absolutely delighted with the result and claimed it as a 'point gained against a very good side'...it's the USA mate, you should be beating them.

The blandest most uninspiring guy in football.

A bit of an aside, but I think Gerrard would be absolutely brilliant as England manager.

Hopefully he never does that job though!

What on earth makes you think that?
Well for 85 minutes last night on this earth the USA we better all over the park, in every department... could have and probably should have won the game... First to every ball, winning 50/50s, they looked fitter, faster and wanted to play football......... what on earth makes you think differently ?

Southgate's post match interview was embarrassing as well.

Seemed absolutely delighted with the result and claimed it as a 'point gained against a very good side'...it's the USA mate, you should be beating them.

The blandest most uninspiring guy in football.
shite at penalties too!

England were shite v USA, Mount should have been hooked at half time for Foden and Kane was woeful.

People are playing through reputation rather than form, that's why Wales were pumped by Iran...Ramsay was fvckin useless.

England were shite v USA, Mount should have been hooked at half time for Foden and Kane was woeful.

People are playing through reputation rather than form, that's why Wales were pumped by Iran...Ramsay was fvckin useless.
And bale,penalty and a couple of passes and that's in two games,Don't get me on about kane Southgate must think he's a god he needs dropped im really surprised he never fell over last night.

Back