Denmark ready to leave FIFA

UpToMyKnees

Official Ticketer
This could get interesting

Denmark are ready to discuss a blanket withdrawal from FIFA alongside other UEFA nations over the OneLove armbands issue.

The captains of seven European nations were planning on wearing the anti-discrimination armbands to protest against Qatar’s human rights record, but all backed down after FIFA revealed on the eve of the tournament that they would be shown yellow cards for doing so.

Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday morning, Danish FA (DBU) CEO Jakob Jensen revealed that a yellow card was the “minimum” punishment that captain Simon Kjaer would have faced.

“On November 21, England asked for an emergency meeting with FIFA, who came to the English hotel,” Jensen revealed. “FIFA said it would at least give a yellow card.

“There has been discussion about whether there is a legal basis for giving a yellow card, but there is. The penalty could have been a yellow card, that the captain had not come on the pitch or that he was given a ban.”

The German football association is taking FIFA to the Court of Arbitration for Sport over the ban and now the DBU delegation revealed the “anger” this has caused, and stated they would not formally support current president Gianni Infantino – who is standing unopposed – in his reelection bid.

“There are presidential elections in FIFA. There are 211 countries in FIFA and I understand that the current president has statements of support from 207 countries,” said DBU chairman Jesper Moller. “Denmark is not among those countries. And we’re not going to be either.”

Moller also revealed that Denmark were considering leaving FIFA, and were willing to discuss this with all 55 member states of the organisation.

“It is not a decision that has been made now. We have been clear about this for a long time. We have been discussing it in the Nordic region since August,” he said.

“I’ve thought it again. I imagine that there may be challenges if Denmark leaves on its own. But let us see if we cannot have a dialogue on things.“I have to think about the question of how to restore confidence in FIFA. We must evaluate what has happened, and then we must create a strategy – also with our Nordic colleagues.”

I’m not sure Denmark or the Nordic nations are big enough to topple Fifa, but if they can get a few big nations of Europe then they may start a reaction within the houses of power. If they do, it will be in the style of the European Super League, we will pull out of your competitions unless you do what we want, only with morals!

As my dad always said, don't say, do. I suspect that they will get a bit of vocal support but nothing official from other countries and FIFA will make loads of promises and fulfill none of them.

If these FAs had any balls they wouldn't be there in the 1st place
Totally agree. The time for protests was years ago. The only effective protests involve a level of personal sacrifice. But that would involve players and FAs boycotting the tournament altogether. Much easier to wear a wee armband than not attend....unless threatened by a yellow card of course.

If these nations felt it was serious enough they could have boycotted. They chose to go and take part inowing the rules and the laws about disrespecting local culture and traditions. They should be focused on the football and their purpose now they made the decision to take the cash and attend.

Be nice to think this could have an effect. FIFA and UEFA have run a corrupt cartel for too long that is doing nothing to further the game other than in the cash cows of the football world. Unfortunately it probably won't go far without the support of one of the big FAs

If these nations felt it was serious enough they could have boycotted. They chose to go and take part inowing the rules and the laws about disrespecting local culture and traditions. They should be focused on the football and their purpose now they made the decision to take the cash and attend.
The local culture is barbaric and Qatar knows what hosting a WC entails.

Weird that so many on here get angry about anyone saying that they think basic human rights should apply to people. Odd.

This will never happen!

the shit that will get poured down on their domestic game will be massive, total blanket ban on entering any UEFA/FIFA events, registration revoked and players banned.

England shat it the other night when the officials turned up to give them an ultimatum

I predict %^*& all will come from this. Not one nation has stood by it's supposed values, soon as FIFA threatened them with cards and sanctions, they shat it. Had they gone through with wearing those armbands and FIFA sanctioned them, it would have put even more of a spotlight on it & shown FIFA up for what they are.

The local culture is barbaric and Qatar knows what hosting a WC entails.

Weird that so many on here get angry about anyone saying that they think basic human rights should apply to people. Odd.
Not half as odd as posters flouncing into a thread to sneer at others without making a coherent point

I'm assuming if they start a new organisation they wont allow any of the countries that homosexuality is illegal to join? Or is it just Qatar.

And if USA invade somewhere before 2026 the same protests will happen?

Oh and FIFA are c-unts. But these mobs just pick and choose the best c-unts based on media image.

Nations sat back and watched probably the most corrupt sporting organisation ever seen on the planet, scandalously enrich themselves with bribes, corruption and straight theft, for decades without a whimper.
But, an armband, oh no, that’s a different story. Can’t have that. Now’s the time to step up, now’s the time to act.
Pathetic isn’t a strong enough word.

This tournament will turn a lot of true fans away from the game.

It has gone far too political and even more commercial than ever.

FIFA are corrupt as fck and playing the top tournament in the desert in what is clear corruption in a country that literally has no morals but preaches to everyone else is the final straw. The beer ban 48 hours before the start was the cherry on top. Should have been cancelled there and then.

FIFA officials rely on the votes from the smaller federations to give them their places. The European associations know they don’t have the voting power to enforce change. What they do have is the TV monies. If the Europeans were serious about leaving , then the TV and other rights holders would be where the pressure cane from.

If the big countries all rallied together and boycotted the World Cup if really would have made a statement.

I don't see one country leaving FIFA having much of an impact.

Back