Feuds in Football

Something I didn't understand and was to young to remember is why Goram didn't feature in the Scotland Squad in 1998, was there some sort of issue between him and the manager?

Tbh, Goram was wasn't exactly fantastic in the 1997/98 season.

McCoist made a late push to put himself in with a shout for that WC and Craig Brown didn't pick him. A few months later Super is being called on to help Scotland struggle to a win over Estonia at Tynecastle. Incidentally, it was Bandy Legs' %^*& ups that put Scotland into that predicament.

I've listened to the Sacked in The Morning podcast quite a bit & in spite of this incident, Craig Levein & Graeme Hogg seem to get have got on ok.
Levein & Gary MacKay however do seem to have an issue with each other.

A child and a cheat but untouchable as far as the Scottish press were concerned. The Sounness goal against the Sheep shortly before Ferguson headed to Old Trafford. Well over the line and he dragged it back claiming it had not crossed and then chasing the officials at the second goal claiming offside when it wasn't - double standards in the extreme. There was also an incident at Easter Road when he went mental at Gascoigne over a penalty as I remember when there was nothing to dispute.

Jim Leighton never lost a legit goal against us ever (in his Vaseline clouded mind).

Seriously, watch any goal we scored on him and there's always some sort of issue. If he was allowed to chase an official he'd have been the world record holder for the 100m.

Ferguson said Leighton's wife gave him the v-sign when he tried to talk to her to explain the situation.

I've always wondered if Craig Brown's insistence that Leighton was as good a keeper as Goram was the fact he knew Leighton mentally could not handle rejection or that someone was better. This is a man child who threw his toys out the pram and quit Scotland at the age of 41 after he chucked two Estonia goals in at Tynecastle and got criticised in the press.

He should have been finished after he gifted Morocco their first two goals in France.

Broon was such a wee shite.

Tbh, Goram was wasn't exactly fantastic in the 1997/98 season.

McCoist made a late push to put himself in with a shout for that WC and Craig Brown didn't pick him. A few months later Super is being called on to help Scotland struggle to a win over Estonia at Tynecastle. Incidentally, it was Bandy Legs' %^*& ups that put Scotland into that predicament.

Sullivan should've been Scotland GK at France 1998.

Leighton was beyond done. Goram was a shambles by then.

I've listened to the Sacked in The Morning podcast quite a bit & in spite of this incident, Craig Levein & Graeme Hogg seem to get have got on ok.

On a similar note but I'm sure there might have been some needle between Levein and Super Ally?

Remember him scoring against Hearts at Ibrox, possibly 92/93, and looked like he was making a point of doing a knee slide at Levein's feet :D

Jim Leighton never lost a legit goal against us ever (in his Vaseline clouded mind).

Seriously, watch any goal we scored on him and there's always some sort of issue. If he was allowed to chase an official he'd have been the world record holder for the 100m.

I remember a 3.1 win at Dens on Boxing Day 92 when he was rank rotten - got extra pleasure from his performance

I'm talking of the laughable campaign by the Scottish media to have Leighton in goals ahead of Goram for Scotland, even when The Goalie was at his pomp. It was embarrassing.

Brown went as far as to say Goram and Leighton were the two best keepers in Europe before Euro 96. Leighton wasn't even the second best keeper in the country.

It was utter horseshit simply to keep Leighton sweet.

On a similar note but I'm sure there might have been some needle between Levein and Super Ally?

Remember him scoring against Hearts at Ibrox, possibly 92/93, and looked like he was making a point of doing a knee slide at Levein's feet :D
i think it was just classic super ally after being kicked all afternoon by Levein.

Brown went as far as to say Goram and Leighton were the two best keepers in Europe before Euro 96. Leighton wasn't even the second best keeper in the country.

It was utter horseshit simply to keep Leighton sweet.

I remember it well, mate. It was cringeworthy from Brown to claim such utter nonsense.

Joe Harper and Alex Ferguson. I heard harper interviewed on sportsound and he freely admitted that he hated ferguson. Hate was the actual word he used. He said ferguson was a bully who basically got lucky at Aberdeen when he inherited a good team.

A child and a cheat but untouchable as far as the Scottish press were concerned. The Sounness goal against the Sheep shortly before Ferguson headed to Old Trafford. Well over the line and he dragged it back claiming it had not crossed and then chasing the officials at the second goal claiming offside when it wasn't - double standards in the extreme. There was also an incident at Easter Road when he went mental at Gascoigne over a penalty as I remember when there was nothing to dispute.

That was my first Rangers game.

Tbh leighton charging up to the half way line is the only thing i remember.

To this day my dad and me will mention it to each other now and again.

Joe Harper and Alex Ferguson. I heard harper interviewed on sportsound and he freely admitted that he hated ferguson. Hate was the actual word he used. He said ferguson was a bully who basically got lucky at Aberdeen when he inherited a good team.
… true.
Any truth in the rumours that Saint Alex’s end at St Mirren was controversial?

Le Saux Fowler btw

… true.
Any truth in the rumours that Saint Alex’s end at St Mirren was controversial?

Le Saux Fowler btw
No idea about that, not saying harper was correct either. Its a bit of a stretch to believe Alex Ferguson was simply just lucky. He certainly didnt mince his words though. It was really surprising to hear someone quite candidly say on the radio that they "hated" ferguson.

Stefan effenberg and Lothar Matthaus.
In effenbergs autobiography there is a chapter titled "what Lothar matthaus knows about football", and the page is blank!
Len Shackleton an English internationalist of the 40/50’s did the same in his autobiography published in 1956, The Clown Prince of Football with a chapter called ‘The Average Directors Knowledge of Football’

I swear Brazil were letting us get the needed point that day. Then "Bandy" scoops the ball right into the path of the Brazilian guy who has no option but to roll it in.
Think Brazil were happy with the draw but Scotland started to take the piss a bit near the end and Brazil thought, phuck this and scored.

Alex Ferguson is the common denominator in a lot of feuds, which would normally mean he was the problem.

Off the top of my head I can think of Leighton, Sharpe, Stam, Keane, Beckham, Wenger, Keegan.

Came out the winner every single time.
Strachan as well. Strachan remains raging about him selling him to Leeds

I was so pleased when he was carried off in the Scottish cup final, always felt he was deserving of that

Levein and Michael Stewart also...... tho anyone who doesn't have beef with Stewart is for the watching.

Just reading the earlier posts about Leighton and remembered that in the old days, for no logical reason, I couldn’t stand the skinny, baldy, bandy, gumsy Rangers hating prick.
I’m sure I read on here he’s a bear!

Harper was a drunken bum , he never tires of slagging Rangers

Back