Will we go after a keeper in January?

Clementime

Anyone think we will try to pick up a keeper in January?

A stable keeper is the fundament of a title winning team.
This season, our two seem shakey.

Very good post

I don't see it happening in January, but a goalkeeper of quality is required ,and hopefully been prioritized by the manager .

There are some good options out of contract this summer.
So like you say, with a bit of luck we are putting time into searching now.

Rumours on here about Liam Kelly but who knows? Not sure he’s better than what we have. Id prioritise a centre back and midfielders but we clearly need new GK

I’d try for the USA goalie. Might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but he seems decent for an affordable price for a club like ours, and he looks a wee bit like shagger.

Very good post

I don't see it happening in January, but a goalkeeper of quality is required ,and hopefully been prioritized by the manager .
folk always say January isnt the time to buy players

we heard that excuse in the summer more then a few times

we have 2 older keepers that arent good enough hence why mclaughlin was dropped and mcgregor is too old now

I'd hope so, relying on what we have will only see us falling further behind.

The January market is a tough one though, no club would sell their number 1 keeper to us. Only for a stupid offer no doubt...

I think we will.

GK is a position I take particular interest in.

Mcgregor has been a legend, a genius, crucial in getting us 55 , to two European finals and many other victories and trophies.

However he’s 41 in a couple of months. He stayed on in the summer at the request of the club. I think he may retire in January and if we can find a club for McLaughlin he will be away as well.

Whether it’s January or the summer I think a new number 1 will be brought in. I don’t think Mcrorie is going to be long term our number 1.

PS I predicted exactly what would happen this season with McLaughlin collapsing and McGregor coming back in, so I’d advise paying attention to what I say on this.

Last edited:
We don’t know whether he’s night and day above McCrorie. Would you have suggested him if he hadn’t played for us?
No but hypothetical doesn’t work in reality. He has played for us. He knows the club, has improved since he was here and at 31 is coming into prime keeper age. At 24 he was our keeper.

Also fact he’s an established first team keeper and has been for a while. McCrorie at the age of 24 should be playing football, we don’t need a project.

Mccrorie should have been given the no1 gloves when it was clear that McGregor and McLaughlin weren’t good enough. Unfortunately we have persisted with McGregor. If we’re not signing a new gk in January then mccrorie should be given the no1 position till the end of the season. Pointless persisting with two gk’s who don’t have a future here. We don’t know if mccrorie has a future here. He may have a future as a back up.

No but hypothetical doesn’t work in reality. He has played for us. He knows the club, has improved since he was here and at 31 is coming into prime keeper age. At 24 he was our keeper.

Also fact he’s an established first team keeper and has been for a while. McCrorie at the age of 24 should be playing football, we don’t need a project.

Have to be honest, I’ve not followed his career after leaving us. Not entirely ruling him out, but would rather we were going for younger options with a view to the future.

I agree on McCrorie. He should be given the number 1 or 2, or sold.

Wouldn’t be a shock but it’s a difficult market

It’s clear the coach before the coach we just had had accepted McGregor wasn’t the answer and was actually showing that in selection

I expect Beale aligns closer to how Gerrard thought

He signed for Arsenal for about £8m last year.
On February 11, 2022, it was announced that Turner and Premier League club Arsenal had agreed to a deal that would see him move to the London club in the summer of 2022. He was Arsenal's first summer signing of the window.[24][25] Arsenal reportedly paid a transfer fee of $6 million that could potentially rise to $10 million.[26] On June 27, 2022, Arsenal announced Turner as the new player on a long-term contract. Turner was given the number 30 shirt

Doesn’t look like it according to wiki. A quick dollar to pounds conversion says £4.8m which would be in our price range to give us the base and spine of a new team. The rising $10m dollars is pure speculation. He’s a guy we should be spending proper money on, he would say himself he needs 1st team football, why not with us? If we can pay the money and match his wages then why not? Don’t think he’s out our price range.

I honestly don't know why we bothered extending McCrorie's contract in the summer if Gio didn't trust him. He has to be given a run in the team and an opportunity to make the spot his. Then we can judge if he's good enough to start next season as the number 1.
If this doesn't happen, what's been the point of paying his salary year after year?

Back