Will we go after a keeper in January?

Wouldn't be a surprise if we did. Beale has to get it right from the beginning, and he will want the best he can get immediately.

All the other players who’s performances has been written off as “poor managerial tactics “ or “secretly injured “ are getting a chance to prove themselves with a new manager so why shouldn’t the goalkeeper get the same chance?
Because we've seen for 18 months now that McGregor is finished, For 2 and a half year that McLaughlin isn't good enough and McCrorie seemingly can't be trusted long term by any of our last 2 managers.

Really hope so. I'd like us to try for Preston keeper Freddie woodman, formally of Newcastle. Dont know how achievable that would be, cracking keeper though .

Doubt we will be pushing the boat out in January to finish 2nd. We will juggle and see what happens.

Rochet the Uruguay keeper is a shout and would probably get him for circa £4m. Any keeper we sign will be around that price.

My apologies...when I originally saw it...I just saw the $10m.
However, after this World Cup and the fact that he started all the games, he will be worth way more than the £5m they paid for him...I reckon they could double their money pretty quick...which is well outside what we can spend on a goalie.
Probably is out of our price range, was a bit pissed on sat nite lol and thought he would be a good fit. Don’t know why we can’t spend upwards of 5/6 mill on a keeper right enough with the money we’ve earned in the last 18 months. A good solid keeper earns you at least 15/20 points a season, gives the defence confidence and can make the difference in tight games. Our planning in this position has been woeful.

Probably is out of our price range, was a bit pissed on sat nite lol and thought he would be a good fit. Don’t know why we can’t spend upwards of 5/6 mill on a keeper right enough with the money we’ve earned in the last 18 months. A good solid keeper earns you at least 15/20 points a season, gives the defence confidence and can make the difference in tight games. Our planning in this position has been woeful.
Haha all good!! I definitely like Turner and if we could get him then it would be great.
I hope we push the boat out a bit for a goalie too, as I agree that quality in the spine of the team is vital for success.

I think retaining McLaughlin forced out hand somewhat with McGregor. We gave him a new deal in January this year. Had we waited until summer we would likely have let him and McGregor go and signed a new keeper.

Just my opinion but we can't have 2 keepers taking up the non nation / club trained spots in the squad. Not averse to Liam Kelly coming in as a no2 as he is a club trained player.

We absolutely need to buy a new no1 in summer at the latest.

Your kidding yerself if you think we will spend that sort of fee on a keeper.
Why buy cheap. We need a good keeper who will come in and be a mainstay of the team for years. If we don’t spend £4m on a keeper then we will sign someone like Liam Kelly instead.

Why buy cheap. We need a good keeper who will come in and be a mainstay of the team for years. If we don’t spend £4m on a keeper then we will sign someone like Liam Kelly instead.
Because several positions need overhauled and we ain't exactly made of money.

If we’re spending I want a quality RM, quality ACM & quality CM all before a new GK

GK situation can wait till the summer, improving our outfield 11 will benefit us more than replacing AMcG
We absolutely need a CB right now. We may as well forget Souttar and helander for this season. Davies - who knows? Goldson still not ready

Goal keeper is a key position to be fair. I’d rather a new keeper, improves us straight away.
Centre Mid could be said to be even more key to us, especially with how we want to be playing, and we haven't spent any proper money on the midfield since even before Gerrard came.

We have been so lazy in the GK position. If McCrorie isn't getting a chance then we must sign a first choice number 1 in January. This is the most important position in the team and our goalie is letting in too many soft goals and cannot distribute the ball well.

I think retaining McLaughlin forced out hand somewhat with McGregor. We gave him a new deal in January this year. Had we waited until summer we would likely have let him and McGregor go and signed a new keeper.

Just my opinion but we can't have 2 keepers taking up the non nation / club trained spots in the squad. Not averse to Liam Kelly coming in as a no2 as he is a club trained player.

We absolutely need to buy a new no1 in summer at the latest.
Agreed

As a poster has pointed out the Uruguay keeper is available for between £3 and £4 million

Is mclaughlin or the current McGregor the standard?
McGregor is the pick of the bunch, although I admit at the beginning of the season I opted for McLaughlin, but changed my mind on that. None of these keepers are good enough, and it is time for signing a new keeper. I think they will go with McGregor until the summer and then bring one in for next season.

All dependent on budget now and projected for summer.
I imagine Beale will limp on with Shagger to summer and prioritise elsewhere in January

Because we've seen for 18 months now that McGregor is finished, For 2 and a half year that McLaughlin isn't good enough and McCrorie seemingly can't be trusted long term by any of our last 2 managers.
Beale and Gerrard rated McLaughlin though. They played him in the Scottish Cup games. At the time McGregor was still an excellent goalkeeper but McLaughlin wasn’t far behind him. He will never be as good as McGregor was but we will find it hard to find a keeper that was. McGregor was a premier league level goalkeeper.

It’s not very often we find ourself in a goalkeeping calamity, we usually have the best, but Greegs is finished, McLaughlin isn’t good enough, and McCrorie is basically untried. It’s gross negligence by Wilson and Van Bronkhurst.
McRorie has had a fair few loans & has been a regular at various under levels for Scotland so he's not that untried.

I didn't watch any of the clubs he was on loan at so don't have an opinion how he performed at them. He was Berwick Rangers player of the year so must have done well in that loan. People seem to say he was poor for Livi & I never really hear his time at QotS or Morton mentioned.

The fact he was unphased when thrown in for a European match & an old firm game suggests he may at least have the mentality needed to play for Rangers.

Kelly? As Rangers number 1?

Nothing against the guy but he’s a decent standard GK no more no less.

We need far, far better to replace Mcgregor properly.
I totally agree but let’s wait and see too much noise around this for it not to happen.

Beale and Gerrard rated McLaughlin though. They played him in the Scottish Cup games. At the time McGregor was still an excellent goalkeeper but McLaughlin wasn’t far behind him. He will never be as good as McGregor was but we will find it hard to find a keeper that was. McGregor was a premier league level goalkeeper.

McLaughlin was never near to McGregor. Ever. He rarely faced much of a challenge in the games he played under Gerrard. This season he was culpable for so many goals we conceded it was unreal.

Hes a reasonable back up and thats it.

Rumours on here about Liam Kelly but who knows? Not sure he’s better than what we have. Id prioritise a centre back and midfielders but we clearly need new GK
Liam Kelly just No! Do your job scouting department and find a goalkeeper of 6feet 4 with presence who can command his six yard box

McLaughlin was never near to McGregor. Ever. He rarely faced much of a challenge in the games he played under Gerrard. This season he was culpable for so many goals we conceded it was unreal.

Hes a reasonable back up and thats it.

No point in having McLaughlin, McCrorie and Kelly.

Move McGregor and McLaughlin on, sign a first choice number 1 and let them (potentially Kelly and McCrorie) fight it out for the number 2 spot.

If we go into next season with McGregor, McLaughlin, Kelly or McCrorie as our number 1 then we are severely lacking in the goalkeeping department.

McGregor has shown he's past it for a second season now, McLaughlin is never a Rangers number 1 and Kelly isn't anywhere near good enough to hold that title. Another season where McCrorie has been nowhere near the position and I don't believe he's good enough either.

Rangers number 1's are known for making game defining saves, winning us countless points throughout a season. The above don't bring that.

A position that was neglected in the summer. We were linked with Rakow's, Kovačević who is probably no out with our reach. Destanoğlu was another but he's just signed a long term contract. Nikita Haikin is out of contract at the end of this month, Bursik, Butland, Horn, Lunev, Schlager in the summer. We could have had Mathew Ryan in the summer for £800k, he's out of contract summer of 2024.

Back