Under 16s world cup 1989

Blue Lou Boyle

Anyone else remember this?

Always think of only an excuse: "lets take nothing away from the Saudis - well, perhaps maybe a photocopy of their birth certificates!"

Semi final was delayed due to the turn out. Folk were turned away from the turnstiles.

Yeah,remember it being totally mobbed,we went in earlier than planned due to the crowds.

Was just thinking about this the other day. Was the last game I went to with my dad (and only game I actually went to with mum and sister also). Even then I could tell the Saudi players were men, and I was only 9. Did they also not get caught at a nightclub after it, showing their ID cards? Fubar in Stirling I think it was. Haha

Reactions: hms
Was just thinking about this the other day. Was the last game I went to with my dad (and only game I actually went to with mum and sister also). Even then I could tell the Saudi players were men, and I was only 9. Did they also not get caught at a nightclub after it, showing their ID cards? Fubar in Stirling I think it was. Haha
I think you're right.

Think it might have been Victoria's.

Nuno Capucho was also in the Portugal squad, with Carlos Queiroz as coach.

Scotland line-up in the final was:

Wills, McMillan, Marshall, Bain, Beattie, Downie
(Murray), Lindsey, O'Neill, Bollan, McGoldrick
(McLaren), Dickov; coach: Craig Brown]

I think you're right.

Think it might have been Victoria's.
Possibly could have been but I’ve got Fubar stuck in my head regarding their team. My old man was from Tullibody and I’m sure that’s how I remember. Crazy situation though.

Interesting reading what happened to some of the players.

A taxi driver, a postman, working in a tannery.

At 16 playing for your country (regardess of the level) at hampden in a final in front of 50 odd thousand you would be forgiven for thinking you were on your way to a good career.

The hard work (and a certain amount of luck) has barely started.

Possibly could have been but I’ve got Fubar stuck in my head regarding their team. My old man was from Tullibody and I’m sure that’s how I remember. Crazy situation though.
You might be right.

Maybe I've got Vicky's in my head because it was Glasgow's premier nightclub at the time.

Went to the final. I will always remember all the Saudi players gathering for prayer before the game started. Right in front of the where the Rangers end joined the main stand. Someone in the crowd shouted "there's only one salman Rushdie" at the top of his voice. Cue hysterics amongst the punters. Would probably get lifted for it now.

Aye, all under 16, ffs!

Bottom row, second from the left, 3 wives, 6 weans :D

DuoUua1X4AAGyY8.jpg

Sax in Cumbernauld

Sax in Cumbernauld
They must have had some size of squad, never mind age of squad, if they could spread themselves around Fubar Stirling, Vickies in Glasgow and also Sax in Cumberland haha

Went to the final. I will always remember all the Saudi players gathering for prayer before the game started. Right in front of the where the Rangers end joined the main stand. Someone in the crowd shouted "there's only one salman Rushdie" at the top of his voice. Cue hysterics amongst the punters. Would probably get lifted for it now.
I'm sure there was a chant of "what the fucking hell is that what the fucking hell is that" when they started praying.The good old days when folk could actually take a slagging.

I got to meet pele at dens park which was very surreal. It was a schools in service day and I was off and told my dad I was gonna chance my luck and get into dens as I knew Pele was going to be there. My old man tried to tell me you’ve no chance but off I went with my Brazil top and a pen.

The side door to dens was wide open and I just casually walked in and waited on Andy Roxburgh to do a training season with a local school and then Pele appeared.

He was total gent, signed autographs for everyone in attendance and when it came to me I shook his hand and got him to sign my shirt. The pen wasn’t working great but he took ages on it to make sure it came out perfect. Probably my most prized possession and my dad still says it’s his biggest regret not coming with me.

I was at the final too. My old boy's pal took me with his boy who was the most annoying, thick boy you'd ever meet. That was until I met his wee pal that also came along...

Anyway, crushing blow to be beaten by the Saudis as they weren't a "football country". That was my 11 year old mindset anyway, irrespective of them being clearly in their mid 20s at the time.

I' m sure when Scotland played Portugal at Tynecastle. As Jock( is the Rangers player offside)Brown was reading the team line- ups at the beginning of the game. I think he described Figo as the Portuguese midfield hard man.

I was 13, went to a all the games at Fir Park with friends. My whole family went to the final.

If I recall correctly, Fir Park got an extra late stage game because of good attendances.

I was part of the opening ceremony. Held the name of the Columbia team as we walked out on the pitch. However, due to the piss poor quality of the name placard, the stick snapped! Then a comedy moment of me chasing it about the park like a fanny….

My dad took me to a game at Tynecastle, I'm assuming it was the semi final. It would be another year or so before I really got the bug for football, but I remember being there. Think we also went to see Brazil v Bahrain, two countries I'd never heard of at that time so had no idea of the gulf in footballing tradition between them. I supported Bahrain that day for some reason. Think they lost on penalties.

Back