From the annual report - Average season ticket price is £383

There is a valid point to be made here, but not specifically by focusing on a specific section of the support (that could be one of many areas for exploration). The point I'd focus on is simply looking at the revenue generated from match day income.

Match day revenue accounts for almost 50% of our total revenue. It is currently our single biggest revenue stream for generating funds to reinvest in the club (i.e. the playing staff). And even with maximising the number of European fixtures that we could draw revenue from last season, it was still less than what Celtic generated, even though they had a much earlier exit from Europe.

"Rangers £41.9m match day income remained the second highest in the Premiership, below Celtic’s £43.1m" (Swiss Ramble)

In the 2019 and 2020 seasons, with reasonable European performances, our total revenue for match day income was £32M and £35.7M. Assuming an increased £36M is a fair estimate for ongoing match day revenue (without runs to European finals) then we are still at a disadvantage of approximately £7M in revenue per season to Celtic. This is primarily due to an approximate 11,000 lower attendance.

"Rangers average attendance in 2021/22 was 45,314, nearly 11,000 less than Celtic 56,177." (Swiss Ramble)

It would be interesting to hear views of the support whether we'd be willing to pay more for tickets, if it bridged this financial gap? £7M is a substantial financial advantage in Scottish football (almost 10% of total revenue).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting the only suggestion to raising revenue is through the match going supporter. I agree that the club should continue to improve our commercial and player trading streams for revenue, as well as other areas.
However, no matter what the club do in these areas, we are at a disadvantage whilst we have a lower volume of tickets sold on average per match, and lower prices for tickets.

According to Statista, in 2019-2020 our cheapest adult season ticket price was £372, whilst Hibs (£385) and Celtic (£456) were higher.

Would we as a support be willing to pay more for tickets, if it meant closing the gap to what Celtic generate from ticket sales? Or are we content that, for the near future, we are satisfied with ticket prices in the knowledge that we are financially disadvantaged in this area to what our main competitor is?
I don't know the article that you are quoting from but I would dispute those average attendance figures are 'like for like'. Maybe they count every Season Tkt sold as being in attendance every game then add the pay at the gate numbers. I'm sure we have around 46k Seasons sold year on year and would expect with pay at the gates we would be up around 48.5k

How big is the concession discount ? If it’s anymore than 30% it probably needs looked at but at the same time I doubt it would raise much money in the grand scheme of things.

The Op is ridiculous but the first thing the club should clamp down on is people “abusing” the child/OAP tickets by having adults use them.

Step one of that is making game by game upgrades available online.

I’ve had to do they several times as my dad (who is in his 80s and paid full price for many years OP ;) )has not been well enough to attend.

Every time I have to email and wait for a response to see If I can get the upgrade done.
System is so backwards but it should be able to be automated which would facilitate a crack down on abuse of the system.

I think the blind section get their tickets for free. We could maybe look at squeezing some money out of them (I'm joking btw). They do have fairly crap seats right behind the away dugout but every penny counts.

Fair play to the club when this is implemented, albeit some season ticket holders will be inconvenienced.
A small price to pay. At least all the proposed seats will be at “half stand” level and covered.
Another step in the right direction from our club and another facility to cater for our disabled fan base.
Broxis Den which has been in existence for a few years now is also an excellent facility for our Special Needs and Disabled supporters.

I don't know the article that you are quoting from but I would dispute those average attendance figures are 'like for like'. Maybe they count every Season Tkt sold as being in attendance every game then add the pay at the gate numbers. I'm sure we have around 46k Seasons sold year on year and would expect with pay at the gates we would be up around 48.5k
I deliberately worded my point to state "we are at a disadvantage whilst we have a lower volume of tickets sold on average per match" because I also suspect that their actual attendance, by people physically attending, is less.
However, from a financial perspective, all that matters is the number of tickets sold for generating revenue.

Including the link for reference to the Swiss Ramble article:

These "pensioners" are our fathers, our mothers and our grandparents. They're the reason we support this great club. They deserve everything they get.

What if that discount saving helps a pensioner attend, no matter how long they have attended before, should be be told tough?

Last edited:
Finally getting chance to have read through the report and this figure stands out.

I’ve harped on about this before, but the OAP /Senior price for particularly the main stand and Sandy Jardine stands has to be looked at when we are constrained with the size of the stadium , competing against tims revenue spend

An older ageing population , people living years longer, there will need to be some additional qualification put into qualifying for a senior discount (such as number of years as MyGers / Season ticket holder (bit like years worked to qualify for full state pension) , shouldn’t automatically just click over if you’ve only had a seat for a couple years in prime position (& no evidence of contributing beforehand)

I hope the club are seriously looking at the age makeup of those that sit in main stand and Sandy jardine and those wishing to move into those stands & the age qualifications

It may seem tight / folk will say they’ve put money into the club all their days….but have they really? Continuously? Or just came back to football once stopped working / family all left home?
WOW! Really!

Ho no hot and Merry Christmas to you too. While we are at it these auld gits won’t hear so well or have strong voices so they can’t hold a tune or help the atmosphere. Aye, time to punt them and get real cash for their prime seats…….

Make tomorrow better by robbing the most deserving.

OP reads like a Tory manifesto pledge.

Finally getting chance to have read through the report and this figure stands out.

I’ve harped on about this before, but the OAP /Senior price for particularly the main stand and Sandy Jardine stands has to be looked at when we are constrained with the size of the stadium , competing against tims revenue spend

An older ageing population , people living years longer, there will need to be some additional qualification put into qualifying for a senior discount (such as number of years as MyGers / Season ticket holder (bit like years worked to qualify for full state pension) , shouldn’t automatically just click over if you’ve only had a seat for a couple years in prime position (& no evidence of contributing beforehand)

I hope the club are seriously looking at the age makeup of those that sit in main stand and Sandy jardine and those wishing to move into those stands & the age qualifications

It may seem tight / folk will say they’ve put money into the club all their days….but have they really? Continuously? Or just came back to football once stopped working / family all left home?
You’re a disgrace.

An absolute disgrace.

Locate the away fans to a more practical area to sell more seats. The amount of empty seats to accommodate 50 fans is ridiculous. Plus it would look better cosmetically on the telly

That would be a start
Excellent point. This really has to be looked at.

Over the course of a season, the amount of empty seats (including the over the top empty rows for fan seperation) is losing us thousands of potential revenue.

The away fans section steals a brilliant part of our stadium, get them moved to a wee corner with fencing/netting all around

How many years as a full paying season ticket holder are you saying folk need to get the OAP discount?

10? 20? 30? 40?

I do find it funny that the generation that were able to buy a 4 bedroom house in a good area for £18k, have had it financially easy their whole life and have the most disposable income get everything cheap.

Does going to Ibrox since the 1960”s make me valid enough for a discounted ST
I do find it funny that the generation that were able to buy a 4 bedroom house in a good area for £18k, have had it financially easy their whole life and have the most disposable income get everything cheap.
My good manners and maturity prevents me from typing the word ‘Stupid’ in response.

Presumably the figure quote is excluding Vat. So the real average is 479, not as bad as some are making out.

Taking it away from the discussion re STs, is the OP aware that those of a certain age had to pay standard rate of tax 33% + graduated NI (another tax) plus mortgage rates up to 15.75%. In real terms childrens clothing a fraction of the costs, plus interest rates that have benefited those that borrow, much less than those that save. In short I would like to think those that have discounts on STs have put into both the Club and society throughout their lifetime, as most of us are not Johnny come Lately Supporters.

Perhaps the club should also get rid of those season ticket holders who don’t sign up for all non league and friendly games - is that how it works pick out a section of support that you think doesn’t contribute enough money to the club based on what they sign up for?

See even I can play silly games
Don't give them ideas

I get it I know a senior ticket in copeland is around 110 to 150 where as adult is prob double that.

But in main stand I pay full price and my dad who is 70 plus still pays more for his ticket on concession than I do.

My dad goes every game in main stand his friend in the Copland ticket goes to 1 in 5. And gives ticket to others to use. Doesn't bother with seat sub etc

That's a balance to be had with it around costs.

But attendance is really key to it I think we should be moving to model where its don't attend 60-70% of games then tickets should be removed for all price category

You start singling out different groups

What's next disabled they take up to much room, kids they make to much noise etc it would only end up in riots.

Seat sub had reduced some of the problems with non attendance but at one point I think it was 1 in 10 weren't attending.

Which is why they don't really want to increase capacity. Reality is we need a bigger capacity to get the younger generation to go to games.

Away and chase yourself.

I deliberately worded my point to state "we are at a disadvantage whilst we have a lower volume of tickets sold on average per match" because I also suspect that their actual attendance, by people physically attending, is less.
However, from a financial perspective, all that matters is the number of tickets sold for generating revenue.

Including the link for reference to the Swiss Ramble article:
Yes like it or not the difference in capacity was always going get us longer term after they increased size.

We really need to be looking at a increasing the size of the stadium longer term even

Paid £750 for my Main St seat this season, had it for 31 years, albeit been following Rangers since a wean. Was looking forward to getting a few quid off next season after many years of loyalty, putting loads of money in to the club in my time in various ways, looks like the OP wants to price the likes of me out of going to see the famous, fkin twaat

Guess that’s about people like me,A concession season ticket holder for the last three seasons,I only go to Ibrox for league games and take in the odd euro and cup games No away games,It would be interesting to know the exact discount juvenile, concession and blind supporters get.

There's definitely a case for bringing the concession tickets in line with retirement age, currently 66 and soon to be 67.
And there's a case for increasing the junior tickets up to 21, in line with the minimum/living wage. Many of our fans are in full time education until 21.
I would suggest getting rid of % reductions also, make it a flat rate reduction for all areas, say £200?

Guess that’s about people like me,A concession season ticket holder for the last three seasons,I only go to Ibrox for league games and take in the odd euro and cup games No away games,It would be interesting to know the exact discount juvenile, concession and blind supporters get.
Aye mate, according to the OP people like yourself just don’t pay enough!

It really is ridiculous. It’s a long time until I’m at that stage but when I am I’ll have had my ST for 42 years, older bears, and kids, deserve the discount

I see what your saying but on the other side of that / No offence to the older fans , but as a general comment , If look at the attendance figures in the 70s and particularly early 80s a lot of folk obviously weren’t at the games, weren’t contributing to the club and didn’t for a good number of years until David Holmes got souness
Just wondering, how long you have been contributing to the club? You sound like someone who is earning 'loads of money' and pissed that some are getting a just reward for following the club all of their lives. I am 66 now, started following The Rangers in the early 60s, I haven't always made every game, but I used to travel on the Helen St bus and sometimes on the KP Loyal. Life did get in the way I joined the RAF and completed 22 years, I couldn't always make every game as I was not in the country. Does this now bar me and others like me from purchasing a concession season ticket?
If only I knew that someone, someday would want to bar me from Ibrox all because I decided to join up, I may have stayed in Glasgow just to get a ticket. You sir are a numpty.

Shocked by this thread.I am 65 and fortunate enough to be able to pay
Some who sit beside me at Ibrox of similar age are in financial hardship but push the boat out for the love of our club
We've been going since the 70s and this thread saddens me a little

I think it’s one of those ones where you have accept that a good % of those who get the concession rate could well afford to pay the full price but by doing so it would punish the many who need the concession. Better to keep the status quo or simply give the option at the start of the season for anybody able to pay full price to do so. If your a 66 year old millionaire from bearsden still working they may be happy to get at full price

I see what your saying but on the other side of that / No offence to the older fans , but as a general comment , If look at the attendance figures in the 70s and particularly early 80s a lot of folk obviously weren’t at the games, weren’t contributing to the club and didn’t for a good number of years until David Holmes got souness
I don't want to turn this into a sob story but have a look at the history books.Every Clubs attendances suffered at that time.Shipyards and Coal mines were closing Steel and heavy industry was being destroyed home ownership was on the rise inflation out of control and people were struggling to pay the 15% mortgage rate and unemployment was at record levels.So there was good reason fans couldn't get to as many games.So the idea to punish loyal Bears,the ones that are still around and fit enough to attend,is just bonkers.
If we are to follow you're logic maybe new fans should pay a premium and the longer they attend their ticket cost reduces accordingly.I wouldn't support that either but it would protect the "value" of the seat.Its great that you want to help the Club but I think you should think of alternatives to excluding the older generation.

Went to my first game 62/63 season,attended many full house and endured crowds of less tha 15,000.
Missed quite a few games during our "purple" period to not being able to attend due to work hours.
Introduced my sons to Ibrox many years ago.
Finally got the chance to get a season ticket at the start of the "journey" and visired many of the smaller grounds.
Have missed very few home games since getting my ST,contributed to buying MyGers,paid my money for the European tis,cup games etc.
Anyway enough of my biography so will ask the OP to accept my apology for growing old so getting concession.:cool:

Went to my first game 62/63 season,attended many full house and endured crowds of less tha 15,000.
Missed quite a few games during our "purple" period to not being able to attend due to work hours.
Introduced my sons to Ibrox many years ago.
Finally got the chance to get a season ticket at the start of the "journey" and visired many of the smaller grounds.
Have missed very few home games since getting my ST,contributed to buying MyGers,paid my money for the European tis,cup games etc.
Anyway enough of my biography so will ask the OP to accept my apology for growing old so getting concession.:cool:
Brilliant post mate and I would imagine, a typical story of the ‘older’ gentlemen attending our games. You and others like you, including my father and grand father, are the very reason I support this club and likewise, my son has also been a season ticket older since he was 7 years old (now 18)

There is more to supporting this club than a balance sheet, that’s what marks our club as an
institution.

i have been fortunate to have a season ticket for decades but having a season ticket, is certainly not the only measure of a true supporter.

You have more earned the right to enjoy your modest concession sir and I hope you continue to do so for many years to come.

Has the OP surfaced yet? Quite the opening post and double down.
No I’m here, just catching up , was running late this morning / had to jump in taxi to meet start of the AGM

Been copping some stick offline about it all day too, not the first , won’t be the last I’m sure!

Did I word it clumsily? Maybe, but the board will need to consider every possible angle as regards pricing to generate more income for the club. Posts above clearly show the attendance / revenue difference the tims have over us.

Reality is every rangers fan will need to contribute more for us to compete

Price bands / policy is never static, the club made a big change last season with the tiered level stand priced for Europe , that will keep evolving

Its all relevent mate. My first semi detached house cost me 13K, it was a a big commitment at the time. So we havn't had it easy as you seem to think.

Back