Barry Ferguson slams Rangers for snubbing nephew Lewis

Lewis Ferguson, Josh Doig, Aaron Hickey and guys like that have improved exponentialy since they moved abroad. Some of that may be better coaching, surrounded by better players or simply that being out of sight just makes them seem better.

That said, I do think we need to be more accepting of players from other Scottish clubs. We've always done it, and with great success too. I'd rather take a punt on a young Scottish player than a project like Mateusz Zukowski. Granted it won't always be as easy financially.

Other than the fee being £2m, I don’t think there’s anything he’s said there that’s wrong to be honest.

Folk are reacting to who is saying it, rather than what’s actually being said. The norm for here and as usual suspects raging about it.

We need to look at the Scottish market more (when there’s value to be had). All of Walter’s squads in both spells he had which was successful were full of players signed from Scottish clubs. It’s something we should do as and when we can.

I agree we should have gone for Lewis but they were not selling him to us for £2m unless Lewis made a transfer request and made it clear it’s only us.

Also Barry is in the camp of not having a notion of what Wilson’s job is about at all if he thinks he is just for buying players.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If you’d asked me in May I’d have said no, he wouldn’t improve our team. Ask me now and I think he’d be a starter in our midfield

Easy to say with the benefit of hindsight we should’ve bought him instead of a backup left back or winger that looks fit for the B team. Ferguson will move onto a much bigger team than his current one, we may well have missed the boat but I’d suggest he’s significantly improved in 5 months

No you didn't
It was a point of reference not to be taken as fact. Kamara played for an unfashionable Dundee team and still made his mark here, I recall Ryan Jack’s signing being ridiculed on here as well.

Gave up reading Barry Ferguson comments years ago in fact I don’t think I ever gave them much attention beforehand .

Laughable he thought Aberdeen would've dealt with us at £2m.
That is exactly the issue here.

Now should we have signed him when he left Hamilton at the same time and for less of a fee than we signed Docherty? Possibly.

Would playing for Rangers under Murty and early Gerrard years aided his development? Unlikely.

Sometimes things just don't align correctly and having the surname Fergsuson doesn't give you the god given right to play for Rangers.

Fair play if Ferguson does well abroad. But from what I saw of him at Aberdeen, there was very little to suggest £2M on Ferguson would have been good business.

The talent on “our doorstep” in Scotland is miserable. Souttar and Wright have been non-events for us. And I can’t think of anyone that mob have signed recently that’s done they a turn. Taylor maybe?
I don’t think Wright is good enough ultimately but he’s had some decent contributions in big games. As a back up when we have 5 subs, he’s played a part and not forgetting Leipzig at home

As a back up, squad player I don’t mind Wright too much. I know we need better but also need squad players that don’t mind being bit-part members of the squad. Souttar would be the same if he could stay fit

Barry is a blawhard and best ignored but to be fair he’s got this one right imo. Hardly “slammed” though, that trashy tabloid chat is for brain donors.

I’m not saying he would have been a certain starter but just being around guys like Jack, Steve Davis and Scott Arfield would have brought him on leaps and bounds.

To be honest hard to disagree with that. Would have been a good bolster to the squad and young enough to really come on.

Although I agree with others price would have doubled if it was us.

In Barry’s mind it has always been about Barry. Great player and captain on the pitch. Bit of a bomb scare off it but hey ho it sells papers and keeps him relevant.

It would be a lot cheaper, easier and less devisive if, instead of Rangers signing Barry's nephew, Barry just goes and supports Aberdeen.

Does Barry Ferguson ever engage that tiny pea brain of his?

Scottish football has changed since 2012 and in particular the attitude of all clubs towards ours. We were never popular but it is much, much worse now, and the whole indy pish doesn't help either. There is not a chance the sheep would have accepted a bid from us similar to what Bologna paid, we would have had to pay way over the odds, and even then there would have been a frenzy amongst their fans.

The only chance we have now of signing players from clubs like Aberdeen is if the contract is running down. Ferguson therefore signing a new deal with Aberdeen when he did blew that chance.

Some rank hypocrisy from fans on here who expect total, sycophantic praise from ex-players in the media, but are happy to ritually abuse them any time they speak about the club.

Especially apparent when the ex player in question is 100% bang on the money.

Strange that.

The guy that knew Pedro is a farce before the board that appointed him?

Disgrace for calling out mediocracy being accepted by PLG? Really?
Suppose Miller/Wallace are a disgrace as well then.
The same guy that would have loved to put the cones out if Pedro had chosen him.

It's really galling and concerning that some prominent figures seem to look at Rangers FC as some kind of 'jobs for the boys' nepotism fest.

Having family or pals that have played for the club shouldn't entitle anyone to a jersey. It shouldn't even entitle them to working the kiosks ffs.

Editor for the Daily Coverup; " We haven't had a negative story about Rangers in 18 hours. Quick, get some random opinion piece written "

He makes no comment about the fact Aberdeen would have been very, very difficult for us to deal with. It would probably not have been worth the effort even trying. I think he is a decent player and would probably have been a good fit for us but I doubt it would have happened.

Ferguson is too busy hating Rangers these days to see any of that.

The same guy that would have loved to put the cones out if Pedro had chosen him.
Yeah he was a bit butthurt after being snubbed for the coaching role and went on a crusade. Again in hindsight, maybe he would’ve been a better choice but I think Pedro was going to fail regardless

No way ferguson would’ve stayed quiet and backed Pedro if he was a coach. He’d have backstabbed him too to try and stay on. Also think there’s a chance we’d have ended up with McInness if Barry was on the coaching staff

Regularly watched Kamara play in a team that struggled to get 30% possession against us and was regularly outplayed by Jack Arfield and Davis.
He was never improving our team. . . .

That is bullshit mate.

A good few of us on here had talked about Kamara's performances against us and celtic before we signed him.
He was always going to improve us.

He has dominated some very good European midfields and his possession retention and athleticism are a different level to Ferguson's.

It's a ridiculous comparison.

A broken clock is right twice a day, this is one of those times.

Signing Ferguson was a no-brainier. Worried about the price? We spent £3m on Matondo, £4m on Davies and £5m on Yilmaz who combined have done the square root of %^*& all season, and will probably all be sold at a loss next summer.

That is bullshit mate.

A good few of us on here had talked about Kamara's performances against us and celtic before we signed him.
He was always going to improve us.

He has dominated some very good European midfields and his possession retention and athleticism are a different level to Ferguson's.

It's a ridiculous comparison.
Its not ridiculous to suggest that a player from an unfashionable team can improve with better players and show up better than he did at that lesser team, such as Kamara, Jack, Arf (who wasnt exactly fancied when we signed him) etc.

Its a comparison of the situation not the players style or ability mate.

There is nothing wrong with what he says; in fact, his take is sufficiently vanilla compared to some of the stuff you read on FF regarding Rangers' recruitment. As per, posters jump in two-footed in a race to who can look the most outraged.

We need to sign Scottish players. The DoF said those words verbatim the other day. Why people still deny Ferguson wouldn't have been a good addition given the circumstances is bordering on weird.

If only Barry had brains in his head like he had in his feet. This is a family best avoided by Rangers now tbh

Back