Paul Murray and Barry Scott Resign

All I've been told mate is that he's been pissed off with things for weeks now.

Possibly. He wanted Derek McInnes as manager. I don't think he's been delighted about things since that went south.

However, while I have huge respect for Paul Murray and know how much he's done for us, he can be pissed off if he likes but it's not all one way stuff.

You referring to the personal stuff going on with him?

Yup. Simply pointing out that every business move isn't always simply business related. Just because someone leaves a board doesn't mean they've taken the humph and walked. There can be many reasons and just like footballers, who we see as 2D individuals, board members have private lives too.

Dont know why Laudrup1 even bothering

You have boardroom reshuffles whilst one of the biggest names in British football grins on BTSport about joining Rangers.

And people think its bad news ?

Do you not realise the number of people in the Far East who would love to bankroll any Steven Gerrard project.

You have had financial collapse, was anybody interested in solving it, anybody ?

You offer someone Steven Gerrard and off it goes.

The people assuming negative can go stroke themselves while listening to Tom English, Michael Stewart and Bill Leckies opinion on the radio.

If it transpires to be bad news and there is no multi million pound investments coming, you and the rest of the happyclappers will be on here moaning about the way we’re being run.

FWIW I think this thread is a pile of bollocks with folk just posting guesswork.

Given our recent years of turmoil it’s no surprise a lot of fans assume the worst

I agree, however I’ll just spice it up with what I’ve heard.
Japanese investors are happy with SG.
SG is not happy with a DOF.
And Arsenal HAVE approached Brenda.

If there was any truth in this, it would make me wonder if the Tims were lining up their MoJo revenge by trying to get Gerrard before we do!

Paul Murray has walked because he's unhappy with the way things are.This comfort blanket stuff about making way for investors etc is bollocks.He's one of King,Park & AJ's oldest allies and he leaves the club with no quotes from him or thanks from King?!

Maybe they've fell out? Does there need to be goodies and baddies?

I agree and have said this for a few weeks that any investment we get really is an investment in Gerrard and the brand and thats why the board are taking a risk with him.

It makes sense, it could be a masterstroke if Gerrard managed to topple Celtic it would be huge news worldwide, an amazing story and unbelievable advertising for us

Counter that by appointing a Neill or a clark then i doubt the appetite is really there.

I could be wrong but i feel the investment is coming because of Gerrard anbd the little smirk he had on his face indicated to me that its all systems go and that he is happy and excited about it.

I will keep my fingers crossed anyway

This makes sense to me. Gerrard would be an odd appointment without significant cash. But i’m increasingly thinking that the cash is tied to marquee announcements that can sell advertising. Asian football interest in particular always seems more about the celebrity than the game. We ain’t signing any marquee players but a young photogenic globally recognised manager ticks the boxes.

You have boardroom reshuffles whilst one of the biggest names in British football grins on BTSport about joining Rangers.

Do you not realise the number of people in the Far East who would love to bankroll any Steven Gerrard project.

You have had financial collapse, was anybody interested in solving it, anybody ?

The people assuming negative can go stroke themselves while listening to Tom English, Michael Stewart and Bill Leckies opinion on the radio.

Very valid and true point.

Agree 100%

My guess is that it’s all kicking off behind the scenes and going to sh*t

Posters are clinging to rumours of investment as a comfort blanket.

My guess is that Paul Murray and Barry Scott are happy to stand aside knowing that major investment is coming, part of the vision sold to Steven Gerrard to get us challenging again.

It makes no sense that Gerrard has had positive talks only for it all to be unravelling behind the scenes, so I'm maintaining a positive outlook, basically because I'm sick of feeling a sense of dread every time I think of us.

Maybe I'm deluded, but at this moment in time everyone is speculating. Might as well be blue sky speculation.

Said it a few times on this thread. It's very very cold that statement today.

Impersonal and worryingly bland. Written on the hoof.

This was not planned I'm convinced of that. Very worrying.

To me that is the most concerning thing. The appearance that the remaining board is reacting to what has happened rather than it being part of any strategy.

If it was a planned move, agreed by the people leaving the board as part of a restructuring strategy then it is the worst statement imaginable.

Why no statement from Paul Murray to wish the board well and look forward to returning to Ibrox as a supporter. Why no quotes at all from anyone. The concerning thing is what is not in that statement. As you say very cold.

You dont count either mate but i'm not twisting your words to suit an agenda like you're doing.

Now you're agreeing with me it isn't the route you'd go down and if you're saying our board couldn't attract a proven manager to our clib with the promise of millions to spend thst is simply yet another blot on their book. . . Nothing else.

Lol. Who is twisting words now?

You asked the question "does millions of investment open up the option for different managers"

Yes it does. If we had a bigger budget, we could likely have considered other options.

However, THIS investment appears to be conditional on SG being in the hotseat. That wasn't what you asked though.

I'm not the one projecting what someone with millions would do like you were when you said "If I was an investor, I wouldn't want a rookie"

It wouldn't have been my choice to go with an inexperienced manager initially but if the large investment only comes with this route, it's the way to go.

The investment is the key here. I'm sure Warnock would have for £20m to spend. Might not have been an option though if the investor wasn't behind him though so it's a cow's opinion.

If the option is to have Alex Neil but no millions coming in, as you want an experienced manager and we're not better off player wise as we don't have the cash, is that then a blot on their copy book.

I'll just reiterate some of the earlier comments - the vacuum caused by Jim Traynor's attempts at communication/media management are as much a problem as any perceived boardroom rifts

His presence continues to do us untold damage

Best case scenario, a terrible statement has left some supporters very concerned.

The timing suggests it wasn't planned. PM deserved a bit more credit in the announcement.

BS is a surprise as he's a major lender who's only been on the board a few months.

BS and HK investors lent money to get rid of Ashley. It’s perfectly possible he was only on the board as a placeholder for further investment coming in and a UK based director to represent. I don’t think BS ever attended in person.

To me that's what's infuriating about this board. They let speculation dangle around for days and the space is always filled with the most pointless, toxic bickering from bears and sniping from everyone else, when a bit of transparency could shut it all down.

If it's positive why not wait until you could announce everything all at once? If it's negative lay the groundwork and let the fans, and lifeblood of the club, know what's happening. If it's neither and it's just that Paul Murray and Barry Scott have decided to leave their stressful lives behind and set up a rum shack in the carribean then say that.

Our board are absolute experts at driving unnecessary speculation.
I know there’s a like button but this is a post that should be read out at the next board meeting.
I actually think the board requires someone to tell them this is how many of us see them a lot of the time.
For all the good they’ve done there’s a degree of incompetence in some things that just shouldn’t be happening.

Maybe they've fell out? Does there need to be goodies and baddies?
Further to that point, as much as Murray would have every right to not be happy with how things have gone on on the pitch he surely can't be lecturing others who've helped keep the club afloat. A personal falling out is all I hope it is.

I agree and said so earlier in thread. Like Robertson he needs to go.
I've been told that many of the issues at the club in relation to press releases etc are not the doing of Jim Traynor and Level 5. Look no further than the McInnes press release which Traynor advised against but was overruled on by Dave King. That's from a relation of Traynor that I work with who has leanings towards us.

I'm not the one projecting what someone with millions would do like you were when you said "If I was an investor, I wouldn't want a rookie"

Lol. Who is twisting words now?

It wouldn't have been my choice to go with an inexperienced manager initially but if the large investment only comes with this route, it's the way to go.

The investment is the key here. I'm sure Warnock would have for £20m to spend. Might not have been an option though if the investor wasn't behind him.

You asked the question "does millions of investment open up the option for different managers"

Yes it does. If we had a bigger budget, we could likely have considered other options.

However, THIS investment appears to be conditional on SG being in the hotseat. That wasn't what you asked though.
There was no twisting of words there m8. I've repeatedly told you i'm talking my opinion and what i would do in that position.

You're argument is based on rumour as to what any potential investment is based on.

There isn't any requirement to "make space" for incoming investors and even if there was the timing would be weird. You would just announce the new money and hane a polite note saying X and Y are stepping down tho allow Z a presence on the board.

There isn't a legal requirement, but if I were about to pour a large sum of money into the club, I would want a seat on the board AND I'd want to do that not as a new member, but instead by replacing someone who currently has a seat on the board (to remove one member of any possible "voting bloc"). And the obvious person to go would be PM, because (as I recall) of all of the board members, he probably put the least money into the club. That's not being critical of him - just a fact.

I am fairly sanguine about this. I have never met PM, but he seems to me to have the interests of the club at heart. If he has resigned because he thinks that there is something dreadfully wrong, I suspect we'd have heard about it by now (leaks to the press).

I think (and certainly HOPE) that Thursday / Friday will be a new dawn, on two fronts: managerial and financial.

For a club/company like ours that needs serious investment and initial investors to get paid back their soft loans, PM has done well to be on the board for three years. That was probably his reward.

All those expecting gushing statements simply don’t know how business at this level actually works.

Can that folk that are worrying tell me what they are actually worried about?

We've got a new manager
A new kit deal
Two fans that are worth millions investing in the club every year.

Maybe it's just my mood these days (can "these days" be defined as a 6 year period), but why anyone would jump to the conclusion that this is a huge positive that will lead to investment in the club?

It's been so long since we had a perceived positive that ended up being actually positive, that I've lost track of when that last happened. We seem to have turned into the living example of the light at the end of the tunnel being another fucking train.

Further to that point, as much as Murray would have every right to not be happy with how things have gone on on the pitch he surely can't be lecturing others who've helped keep the club afloat. A personal falling out is all I hope it is.

It also could be neither and he's got shit going on personally. It could have been planned for a while etc etc

What I can't stomach is the need to take sides, yes Paul Murray is a Rangers fan, but so is Dave King and so is Douglas Park, yet it just MUST be that one is better or more committed than the other, or cares more about the wellbeing of the club than the other, this is despite them all ploughing money in.

Always has to be goodies and baddies.

There definitely is one baddie though, Traynors idea of PR is a fucking abomination.

I'll just reiterate some of the earlier comments - the vacuum caused by Jim Traynor's attempts at communication/media management are as much a problem as any perceived boardroom rifts

His presence continues to do us untold damage
I'm hoping that the Gerrard brand people will see how amateurish our comms currently is and have insisted that this fool is nowhere their man,
Surely they can see the damage poor comms would do to Gerrard in his first post as manager? Liverpool too, I'd hope.

There was no twisting of words there m8. I've repeatedly told you i'm talking my opinion and what i would do in that position.

You're argument is based on rumour as to what any potential investment is based on.

You absolutely did twist my words.

You asked earlier if we had millions of investment whether it could attract a better calible of manager than we'd previously looked at (ie Neil, McInnes etc)

I said yes.

You then said it's a stain on the copy book of the board that they've gone with a rookie appointment.

The two issues are separate.

There is no investment presently if Gerrard isn't the manager. To suggest that I was agreeing with you that more money gives us other options based on the previous question is wrong. It wasn't the question asked or the one I was answering.

You're rammed the two points together.

My "argument" is based on the facts that we're looking at just now. The board have appointed (are about to appoint - we hope) Gerrard and he has clearly agreed to that on the basis of the investment coming in to the club.

You sitting there saying what you'd do if you were playing fantasy chairman for the day, really has no bearing on the situation.

For a club/company like ours that needs serious investment and initial investors to get paid back their soft loans, PM has done well to be on the board for three years. That was probably his reward.

All those expecting gushing statements simply don’t know how business at this level actually works.
John Gilligan got one..

I can bet you there isn’t 1 person in the east (and you can go as far as you want) wanting to bankroll a Stevie G Rangers project.

And if you think there is then pass me what ever the hell you are smoking.

It also could be neither and he's got shit going on personally. It could have been planned for a while etc etc

What I can't stomach is the need to take sides, yes Paul Murray is a Rangers fan, but so is Dave King and so is Douglas Park, yet it just MUST be that one is better or more committed than the other, or cares more about the wellbeing of the club than the other, this is despite them all ploughing money in.

Always has to be goodies and baddies.

There definitely is one baddie though, Traynors idea of PR is a fucking abomination.

When it comes to corporate statements like this, I’d be hugely surprised if JT had much to do with it.

You can speculate about what is going on, but I know for a fact that that the PR guy is the last person that gets a say when there’s announcements to be made with financial implications

The statement doesn't give out an amicable feeling,
in fact it sounds like they've had The Mother of all Rammies.

When it comes to corporate statements like this, I’d be hugely surprised if JT had much to do with it.

You can speculate about what is going on, but I know for a fact that that the PR guy is the last person that gets a say when there’s announcements to be made with financial implications

You're correct, but generally he's been a hopeless appointment.

Barry Scott leaving without a replacement is a very bad sign. He represents the investors who loaned the money on the books. King keeps telling us these are "soft loans" and will be converted from debt to shares. Scott leaving abruptly after five months is a sign King has another financial issue he has to deal with.

He's surely asked his opinion on how this will play out in the press and in the general public?

He's head of communications, no the editor of the internal Ibrox Times.

John Gilligan got one..

1) the statement praises PM and thanks him. Don’t make me think you’re one of these here hunks I keep hearing about :)
2) Gilligan was stepping down for personal reasons if I recall. All speculation of course but this appears to be more strategic than that

Maybe Paul Murray and Barry Scott, who have been working on the Rangers Board for free, have other things they want to concentrate their time on, like making money?

Back