Paul Murray and Barry Scott Resign

Really don't know what to think tbh just loads of conflicted feelings and thoughts running through my head. These two gents are obvious big blue noses, Murray went through a lot of turmoil to wrestle control of the club from Easdale's, Ashley, Green etc and Scott helped provide funds to ensure Ashley's £5m loan was re-paid meaning we could get our retail priorities on track. I'm pretty wary about two such people resigning from our board during a tumultuous time in our club's history. I'm very wary of tales of investors with £20m to put into the club given the fact there has surely been better times to make an investment for a bigger slice / say in the club.

On the flip side of all the above, the Gerrard deal seems to be a definite goer and there's just no way he's agreed to it without a cast iron guarantee that he'll have significant funds to try and completely revamp the team.

Hopefully, this is just a reshuffle and the investment is on the way but I'm conditioned now as a Rangers fan to hope for the best but to expect a kick in the balls.

You and I have had our disagreements mate.... happy to admit that's a great post and sums up my feelings as well.

This thread is utter brain damage.

Nobody knows phuck all.

To me that's what's infuriating about this board. They let speculation dangle around for days and the space is always filled with the most pointless, toxic bickering from bears and sniping from everyone else, when a bit of transparency could shut it all down.

If it's positive why not wait until you could announce everything all at once? If it's negative lay the groundwork and let the fans, and lifeblood of the club, know what's happening. If it's neither and it's just that Paul Murray and Barry Scott have decided to leave their stressful lives behind and set up a rum shack in the carribean then say that.

Our board are absolute experts at driving unnecessary speculation.

I understand what you are saying but i was talking about one point and that is Gerrard will have the final say on a player, ie he wont have players thrust upon him, you have since devloped the topic into a whole different conversation about budgets and how much per player etc, completley different conversation and nothing to do with the initial point of him having to take players from Allen.

So going back to the original point I was replying to, Now and Forever said the investor might worry about his cash with a rookie...the outcome is that "the rookie" isn't being left to possibly squander the investors entire deposit and it is, in fact, being controlled by an experienced footballing appointment even if he does have the final say on which one of two options is offered to him for a position. The cash is being controlled so however you want to argue over what the final say is, it's irrelevant as far as the investor is positioned.

Ergo, there's far less for the investor to be concerned about regarding his investment and he can also be happy that his money is being associated with a "brand" name.

It probably might. Can you suggest any?

I'd also suggest that possible investment will have been known about for weeks / months now so it will already have been incorporated in to factors while looking at managers.

Again, you're dragging this away from what an investor is looking for. It's clear the people who are investing have been told of the plan and are keen.
And again you keep talking of investors. . I'm talkiing about my personal choice.

Also it is the job of our board to go down every avenue and find the best man quakified to bring us the success we all want.

They have chosen a guy that has never managed a club in his life. So he is coming to us to learn his trade whilst on the job.

To me that's what's infuriating about this board. They let speculation dangle around for days and the space is always filled with the most pointless, toxic bickering from bears and sniping from everyone else, when a bit of transparency could shut it all down.

If it's positive why not wait until you could announce everything all at once? If it's negative lay the groundwork and let the fans, and lifeblood of the club, know what's happening. If it's neither and it's just that Paul Murray and Barry Scott have decided to leave their stressful lives behind and set up a rum shack in the carribean then say that.

We never set the agenda nor control the narrative in any meaningful way when it comes to things like this.

We are a P.R disaster ,in all honesty.

And again you keep talking of investors. . I'm talkiing about my personal choice.

Also it is the job of our board to go down every avenue and find the best man quakified to bring us the success we all want.

They have chosen a guy that has never managed a club in his life. So he is coming to us to learn his trade whilst on the job.

You've lost sense of the point you were making.

You mentioned investment. You asked whether an investor would be happier with his cash being spend by Gerrard or the likes of Alex Neil (in the "experienced" camp)

I've pointed out that people with money seem to disagree with your stand point on it.

Agree completely. You've said, in a much better way, what I was trying to say earlier.

So many people with such strong opinions when the truth is nobody know anything.

This thread is an utter embarrassment and should be chopped.
That's always been the nature of forums and particularlly FF. Happy to say I don't know what to think about it all but I see no reason for the thread to be chopped, if you think someone's talking pish it's easy to skim by it and ultimately it will lead to some posters making constructive points with a few even chipping in with some facts (even if they can't reveal their souce)

There isn't any requirement to "make space" for incoming investors and even if there was the timing would be weird. You would just announce the new money and hane a polite note saying X and Y are stepping down tho allow Z a presence on the board.

Correct.

Said it a few times on this thread. It's very very cold that statement today.

Impersonal and worryingly bland. Written on the hoof.

This was not planned I'm convinced of that. Very worrying.

How long does it take for Companies House to be notified and them issuing a notice of Director resignation, cause they have it on there site.

So going back to the original point I was replying to, Now and Forever said the investor might worry about his cash with a rookie...the outcome is that "the rookie" isn't being left to possibly squander the investors entire deposit and it is, in fact, being controlled by an experienced footballing appointment even if he does have the final say on which one of two options is offered to him for a position. The cash is being controlled so however you want to argue over what the final say is, it's irrelevant as far as the investor is positioned.

Ergo, there's far less for the investor to be concerned about regarding his investment and he can also be happy that his money is being associated with a "brand" name.
I didn't say that though. I said me personally i wouldn't go with a rookie gaffer.

I also said imo there is no chancea name like Gerrard takes our job without having the final say on players coming in and going.

Said it a few times on this thread. It's very very cold that statement today.

Impersonal and worryingly bland. Written on the hoof.

This was not planned I'm convinced of that. Very worrying.
Paul Murray has walked because he's unhappy with the way things are.This comfort blanket stuff about making way for investors etc is bollocks.He's one of King,Park & AJ's oldest allies and he leaves the club with no quotes from him or thanks from King?!

So many people with such strong opinions when the truth is nobody know anything.

This thread is an utter embarrassment and should be chopped.

I agree, however I’ll just spice it up with what I’ve heard.
Japanese investors are happy with SG.
SG is not happy with a DOF.
And Arsenal HAVE approached Brenda.

I didn't say that though. I said me personally i wouldn't go with a rookie gaffer.

I also said imo there is no chancea name like Gerrard takes our job without having the final say on players coming in and going.

But you don't count as you're not in the board or investing.

The point at hand is that investors are clearly keen on the idea of a name like Gerrard.

I wouldn't have gone with Gerrard if there was an alternative with a proven track record.

There isn't though by all accounts.

Gerrard can have the final say on the transfers and I'm sure he's agreed a budget required and is happy with it. It's still going to fall under the remit of the DoF though and he's only going to have the final say on those options. That's not worth getting hung up on though if they've made some form of indication as to the level of targets they're chasing.

Just don't like the cold nature of that statement.

An I imagining things? Anyone else feel the same? That it was hurried out because this was totally unexpected.

My nails are chewed to bits here.

Does anyone know if Club1872 have been given any clarification on or have the sought any clarification on the resignations ?

Paul Murray has walked because he's unhappy with the way things are.This comfort blanket stuff about making way for investors etc is bollocks.He's one of King,Park & AJ's oldest allies and he leaves the club with no quotes from him or thanks from King?!

You're saying this as fact / know of the circumstances surrounding PM just now?

Paul Murray has spent his life wanting on the Ranger board. I wasnt his biggest supporter but he seemed to always have our best interests at heart even if he was a bit too fond of the blue blazer. For his to leave means that something is not at all well.

The reason for the lack of information coming out of the club is obvious I would have thought.

Dave King wants the appointment of Gerrard to be his 'Souness' moment, and wants a double whammy of announcing Gerrard and new investment at the same time (or within a period of time) and therefore wants it to be a surprise to as many as possible.

The Gerrard link was leaked probably to stem the fury of the fans after recent performances (both on and off the pitch), so there has to be some shock news, and I doubt very much if it will be bad news.

For all his positive attributes, Dave King is really just a watered down, more sensible, version of David Murray.

Agree 100%

My guess is that it’s all kicking off behind the scenes and going to sh*t

Posters are clinging to rumours of investment as a comfort blanket.

I agree and have said this for a few weeks that any investment we get really is an investment in Gerrard and the brand and thats why the board are taking a risk with him.

It makes sense, it could be a masterstroke if Gerrard managed to topple Celtic it would be huge news worldwide, an amazing story and unbelievable advertising for us

Counter that by appointing a Neill or a clark then i doubt the appetite is really there.

I could be wrong but i feel the investment is coming because of Gerrard and the little smirk he had on his face indicated to me that its all systems go and that he is happy and excited about it.

I will keep my fingers crossed anyway

Last edited:

That's my take on things. It just seems like a bog standard statement considering what he has done for the club.

Whether you like him or not, we could have released a better statement than that. All we need now is for King to step down as well. It is a shambles.

But you don't count as you're not in the board or investing.

The point at hand is that investors are clearly keen on the idea of a name like Gerrard.

I wouldn't have gone with Gerrard if there was an alternative with a proven track record.

There isn't though by all accounts.

Gerrard can have the final say on the transfers and I'm sure he's agreed a budget required and is happy with it. It's still going to fall under the remit of the DoF though and he's only going to have the final say on those options. That's not worth getting hung up on though if they've made some form of indication as to the level of targets they're chasing.
You dont count either mate but i'm not twisting your words to suit an agenda like you're doing.

Now you're agreeing with me it isn't the route you'd go down and if you're saying our board couldn't attract a proven manager to our clib with the promise of millions to spend thst is simply yet another blot on their book. . . Nothing else.

Agree 100%

My guess is that it’s all kicking off behind the scenes and going to sh*t

Posters are clinging to rumours of investment as a comfort blanket.

Then why is Gerrard possibly coming?

It doesn’t make any sense he would come here without really substantial transfer funds.

All this guesswork due to that fat prick Traynor not doing his job properly so fans start arguing amongst themselves.

Paul Murray has spent his life wanting on the Ranger board. I wasnt his biggest supporter but he seemed to always have our best interests at heart even if he was a bit too fond of the blue blazer. For his to leave means that something is not at all well.

There's a consensus building he's walked for other reasons than reconstruction of the board.

Sick of all this nonsense man. Murray leaving doesn’t sound good to me. I’m not buying into all this new investors stuff.

Dont know why Laudrup1 even bothering

You have boardroom reshuffles whilst one of the biggest names in British football grins on BTSport about joining Rangers.

And people think its bad news ?

Do you not realise the number of people in the Far East who would love to bankroll any Steven Gerrard project.

You have had financial collapse, was anybody interested in solving it, anybody ?

You offer someone Steven Gerrard and off it goes.

The people assuming negative can go stroke themselves while listening to Tom English, Michael Stewart and Bill Leckies opinion on the radio.

Back