Paul Murray and Barry Scott Resign

There is far more commercial appeal at a club with Steven Gerrard as their manager than there is at one with Alex Neil.

Any investor would rather have that when on the pitch results aren't guaranteed regardless of manager.
Exactly, without Gerrard there is no large investment. I read somewhere, maybe saw it on a video, that SG has 80 million on-line followers. Even if we accept that 99% of those will be irrelevant in meaningful terms that's still an enormous exposure of almost a million potentially interested parties - at various levels.
As before, all conjecture(and wishful thinking)

My reading of the situation is that this is about new investment coming in with strings attached. One is places on the board and the other is a high profile name as manager, Steven Gerrard. This is only my opinion and I hope I am right.

Bears trying to be optimistic when one of the Three Bears steps down from our Board is totally baffling me.

We are searching for positive aspects to this and I can find none.

Good grief we have supporters calling that man a buffoon on this thread.

I'm really not liking the timing and the side notes to this at all.
Wasn’t one of the three bears??

And who was calling him a buffoon, I have read most of the thread and not spotted that one to be fair?

Paul Murray's been unhappy with the ways things are going for a while now mate.I simply don't believe it's a mere restructuring move.

The thing is though we've all seen the nature and wording of the statements the club have released previously, McInnes for example. The tone of this one seemed really friendly, which is unusual from Traynor, if that makes sense?

My reading of the situation is that this is about new investment coming in with strings attached. One is places on the board and the other is a high profile name as manager, Steven Gerrard. This is only my opinion and I hope I am right.
That's the good scenario , hopefully you are correct.

The thing is though we've all seen the nature and wording of the statements the club have released previously, McInnes for example. The tone of this one seemed really friendly, which is unusual from Traynor, if that makes sense?
I get that mate but the situation is different here.

IIRC Paul Murray didnt put a lot of cash in at the takeover compared to others. Not sure about Barry Scott. Maybe making way for more investment

Murray has always been a coordinator and was prepared to get involved with any decent group, from Brian Kennedy to King.

He is a Chartered Accountant and Management Consultant, so brings that to bear.

It is bad corporate governance to have all shareholders and yes men on the Board of a plc. That’s why you want a mix between shareholders, non execs, execs and Independent members. Murray has proven himself to care first and foremost about the club in the past, him going is very concerning.

If anyone should be shifted from the Board “to make space” then I would consider the son of a shareholder who encouraged the disasterous appointment of Pedro to he first in line.

Do you think we're going to continue to make the same kind of signings if we have further investment?

Do you honesty think Mark Allen is going to continue to look at the Mexican league as the point of contact for who we sign and present them to the manager for final say?

Have a wee step back and think about it.
Of course not dont be silly, im talking about the ex Rangers men route we have been going down, Dorrans, Murphy etc

Allen does not have the final say, he has said this in 2 interviews very clearly.

There’s a difference between Murray walking because of disagreements on the way the club is moving forward and walking because he believes the club is in peril.

If it’s the latter we won’t be long in hearing from him as he’s never been the type to stay silent.

The reason haven't been given.

When John Gilligan resigned they were.

Two scenarios for you. The reasons are given as
a) Both have resigned from the club they love because they think King is a crook, but they aren't going to say anything about it even though they are not employees and therefore cannot be silenced. Remember how Paul Murray is one to stay quiet when he thinks something bad is happening at Rangers?
b) Both have stepped aside to allow two new board members to join as the figureheads for new investors. You remember when we've repeatedly told you we were looking for new investors and we've seen recent board appointments expressly designed to seek said investment? Well that investment is ready to announce but we can't quite do it yet because of stock market rules/final approvals etc etc

Im amazed that people can think this was a good thing.

If we're about to bring in Gerrard and the resignations were a simple restructuring exercise then surely we would just hold off till next week after he is expected to have been confirmed? Not in the middle of negotiations when this brings concerns to the fore.

That this has happened prior to signing suggests that at least one of those who have resigned aren't happy with a recent board decision and want to draw attention to it.

He'll input on who we sign or even final say on some signings which are his preference according to the budget under the structure of our DoF arrangement.

Again, what does this have to do with your initial point about investment?

You've said if you were a millionaire, you'd want an experienced pro. Are you open minded enough to accept that there might be a millionaire out there who is keen to provide funds to a World known footballing name?

It would appear that King is a fan of Gerrard as a manger and he's got at least a few quid. You don't think there might be two people like him on the planet.

Just because you think one way about something you can't imagine (I'm guesing) in more than fantasy (ie being a millionaire) doesn't mean that what you continue to say, is in any way correct.

Of course there are people with money attracted to being alligned with international superstar footballer Steven Gerrard spending their cash.
Again, i simply stated what my preference would be in that situation.

King simply can't be a fan of Gerrard as a manager due to the fact he has never managed a club (you can discount 8 months at under 18 level)

Every appointment is a gamble, to hire a rookie in our position heightens the gamble.

Wasn’t one of the three bears??

And who was calling him a buffoon, I have read most of the thread and not spotted that one to be fair?

Yes I know. He helped the 3 Bears. Apologies.
Here it is. And 11 posters liked his post. Very telling eh?

QUOTE="TylerDurden, post: 1330158, member: 4539"]Glad to see Paul Murray gone, true Rangers man but every time I hear from him I cannot but think he is an absolute buffoon.

Of course not dont be silly, im talking about the ex Rangers men route we have been going down, Dorrans, Murphy etc and i was more meaning to say Allen doesnt have the final say the manager does, it seemed like your initial post was hinting that Allen has the final say.

Semantics...but he will when it comes to budgets.

Gerrard says "I'm going to spend the £20m kitty on Nathan Ake from Bournemouth and the rest have to be free transfers, Mark. Go and find me 9 players for the other positions"

Is that going to be the final say on the matter?

"Having the final say" is very much the football way of saying there'll be no Colin Hendry type signings foisted on the manager that he doesn't want.

My hope would be they work as a team.

I'm not interestrd inanything other than success on the park right now which is why it's obvious you would go with a tried and tested manager to spend your millions.

Which tried and tested manger is obvious to us just now that brings success?

If you've got one you might want to mention it to the board...

Also, make sure your investor is on board with the idea too.

Im amazed that people can think this was a good thing.

If we're about to bring in Gerrard and the resignations were a simple restructuring exercise then surely we would just hold off till next week after he is expected to have been confirmed? Not in the middle of negotiations when this brings concerns to the fore.

That this has happened prior to signing suggests that at least one of those who have resigned aren't happy with a recent board decision and want to draw attention to it.

Unless everythjng is already agreed and he’s in the loop?

What's the story with Barry Knight? Based in HK, appointed in Dec, gone May. WTF?

Is that rhyming slang?

Barry Scott I guess you mean.

Perhaps he's had his investment repaid as the funds now being asked of everyone are beyond his reach and he's decided to bow out.

There isn't any requirement to "make space" for incoming investors and even if there was the timing would be weird. You would just announce the new money and hane a polite note saying X and Y are stepping down tho allow Z a presence on the board.

I was never sure what Paul Murray brought to the table as I just couldn't work him out, which is probably not a bad thing in the slightest, but what I am sure about is his tenacious character and never say die attitude when wrestling Rangers Football Club back from the grubby hands of scum. He was like a terrier with a bone, or one of those punch bags that pop back up every time you hit it. I know nada like everyone else, but I'm thinking PM has had a few choice words to say about the chaotic running of the club and has been asked for his resignation, because why else is Robertson still sitting in a job? I'm also thinking maybe he didn't want an under 18's manager to be given the reins at the club, especially after the last few seasons of ineptitude.
Thank you Paul Murray for manning the wall during some very bleak years in our history.

Semantics...but he will when it comes to budgets.

Gerrard says "I'm going to spend the £20m kitty on Nathan Ake from Bournemouth and the rest have to be free transfers, Mark. Go and find me 9 players for the other positions"

Is that going to be the final say on the matter?

"Having the final say" is very much the football way of saying there'll be no Colin Hendry type signings foisted on the manager that he doesn't want.

My hope would be they work as a team.
Your post said "the rookie" wont be signing the players, now you are tring to deflect away from that by talking about budgets.

Of course they will work together but the main point in your post was "the rookie" wont have the last say when "the rookie" will have the last say.

Which tried and tested manger is obvious to us just now that brings success?

If you've got one you might want to mention it to the board...

Also, make sure your investor is on board with the idea too.
Do you think the promise of millions to spend opens new doors for us in search of a manager?

Yeah. You have missed me being abused for belittling a poster that called PM a useless buffoon.

Crazy. Absolutely crazy that there are Rangers Supporters happy about this news.

Well they say they are Bears when they sign up to FF don't they?
Place is riddled with BHEASTS and internet trolls.

I'd trust Paul Murray over Dave King but I trust Alistair Johnstone more so until he's out then I'll continue to try and be optimistic.

Thanks

I was never sure what Paul Murray brought to the table as I just couldn't work him out, which is probably not a bad thing in the slightest, but what I am sure about is his tenacious character and never say die attitude when wrestling Rangers Football Club back from the grubby hands of scum. He was like a terrier with a bone, or one of those punch bags that pop back up every time you hit it. I know nada like everyone else, but I'm thinking PM has had a few choice words to say about the chaotic running of the club and has been asked for his resignation, because why else is Robertson still sitting in a job? I'm also thinking maybe he didn't want an under 18's manager to be given the reins at the club, especially after the last few seasons of ineptitude.
Thank you Paul Murray for manning the wall during some very bleak years in our history.
There should be no arguing with this line.

Jesus christ, your post said "the rookie" wont be signing the players, now you are tring to deflect away from that by talking about budgets.

Of course they will work together but the main point in your post was "the rookie" wont have the last say when "the rookie" will have the last say.

The "rookie" will agree to the signing of players (or not as the case may be)

But the rookie won't have the last say if it's not in line with the budget and the DoFs controlling that.

Can you see how that also works?

He'll have the final say in as much as he can make comment about whether we sign a player or not that he's offered. He's not in total control of all the signings in that "he'll have the final say if he wants to spunk the budget on one player" and won't get to over rule every single decision the DoF is offering as a solution.

That's how a DoF works. Folk really do seem to struggle with the concept.

There isn't any requirement to "make space" for incoming investors and even if there was the timing would be weird. You would just announce the new money and hane a polite note saying X and Y are stepping down tho allow Z a presence on the board.
Exactly.

And that is the way its done in any other walk of life.

I think with this alongside everything else at the club we are forced once again to take the “feck knows, we’ll see what happens next approach”.

It would be nice to actually know what’s going on at the club or to have a settled business on and off the pitch without the constant surprises.

Maybe one day eh?

Really don't know what to think tbh just loads of conflicted feelings and thoughts running through my head. These two gents are obvious big blue noses, Murray went through a lot of turmoil to wrestle control of the club from Easdale's, Ashley, Green etc and Scott helped provide funds to ensure Ashley's £5m loan was re-paid meaning we could get our retail priorities on track. I'm pretty wary about two such people resigning from our board during a tumultuous time in our club's history. I'm very wary of tales of investors with £20m to put into the club given the fact there has surely been better times to make an investment for a bigger slice / say in the club.

On the flip side of all the above, the Gerrard deal seems to be a definite goer and there's just no way he's agreed to it without a cast iron guarantee that he'll have significant funds to try and completely revamp the team.

Hopefully, this is just a reshuffle and the investment is on the way but I'm conditioned now as a Rangers fan to hope for the best but to expect a kick in the balls.

9 or 10 board members are far too many for a business like RFC. It also might be a stipulation of the incoming investors that lower influence board members are removed (the makeup of boardrooms is obviously very important if people are putting significant investment in).

Of course, it might be that these two want to scupper Gerrard and throw us into turmoil again because that can't wait until the summer either.

In the absence of facts anything can be true, but we can at least take plausibility into account.

Unless everythjng is already agreed and he’s in the loop?

I hope thats the case, but theres plenty can happen between agreeing a position and signing a contract.

Its clearly the best outcome for us if thats the case. I have the fear about this now.

Do you think the promise of millions to spend opens new doors for us in search of a manager?

It probably might. Can you suggest any?

I'd also suggest that possible investment will have been known about for weeks / months now so it will already have been incorporated in to factors while looking at managers.

Again, you're dragging this away from what an investor is looking for. It's clear the people who are investing have been told of the plan and are keen.

But the rookie won't have the last say if it's not in line with the budget and the DoFs controlling that.

Can you see how that also works?

He'll have the final say in as much as he can make comment about whether we sign a player or not that he's offered. He's not in total control of all the signings in that "he'll have the final say if he wants to spunk the budget on one player".

That's how a DoF works. Folk really do seem to struggle with the concept.

I understand what you are saying but i was talking about one point and that is Gerrard will have the final say on a player, ie he wont have players thrust upon him, you have since developed the topic into a whole different conversation about budgets and how much per player etc, completley different conversation and nothing to do with the initial point of him having to take players from Allen.

Back