Ben Davies

So he neither marked the striker or went to the ball to close it down. He was also shocking at the disallowed goal where he backed off the guy and didn't even put himself between the goal and striker.

If you don't think Davies has any responsibility from the goal from this position then...ok.

It's a fair point. He had to pick one and he did neither.

We’re better off sticking with Bosmans in that case.

£3-4m for a 27 year old is crazy for a club with our finances, especially if it’s seen as a gamble.
The bosman market is extremely competitive also.

Wilson at the AGM said we’d agreed terms with a Dutch player who chose somewhere else and this was highly likely to have been Danilo Doekhi who went to Union Berlin.

Aside from Europeans who’ll have 5+ offers on the table, the best Scottish bosman you’ll get is a Souttar (injury prone) or Porteous (not good enough).

Davies and Goldson have kept 6 clean sheets from the 7 league games they’ve started together. If they keep that form up, and Davies can prove his fitness then it’s £4m well spent.

He’s ok but what is needed is a Centre Back that can organise a defence and is Captain material. Neither Goldson or Davies give us that. Unfortunately finding a Butcher or Gough is difficult these days.
But do remember Ross Wilson has an extensive contact list.

It’s staggering to read some on here say a player Liverpool signed doesn’t have the attributes needed for a centre half.

It’s head wrecking to read

He also has has a higher success rate of winning aerial duels than Goldson per game in the league but confirmation bias.

If he ran about wildly out of position trying to header anything that moved and maybe ended up with a bandage on every now and again, he'd have a dedicated fan club on here.

Am I missing something but why do people not rate him?

The goal yesterday was all on barisic.

Personally think him and CG are building a very positive relationship and gives us a fantastic foundation moving forward. No doubt in my mind they need a better GK Infront of them and a better defensive midfielder but so far so good.

Is it more people want him to be a failure so they can stick the boot in on his signing?
Think the GK lines up behind them

The bosman market is extremely competitive also.

Wilson at the AGM said we’d agreed terms with a Dutch player who chose somewhere else and this was highly likely to have been Danilo Doekhi who went to Union Berlin.

Aside from Europeans who’ll have 5+ offers on the table, the best Scottish bosman you’ll get is a Souttar (injury prone) or Porteous (not good enough).

Davies and Goldson have kept 6 clean sheets from the 7 league games they’ve started together. If they keep that form up, and Davies can prove his fitness then it’s £4m well spent.
Unless we win multiple league titles in his time here with him as a regular then I can’t see the fee being justified. (Not the players fault)

He also has has a higher success rate of winning aerial duels than Goldson per game in the league but confirmation bias.

If he ran about wildly out of position trying to header anything that moved and maybe ended up with a bandage on every now and again, he'd have a dedicated fan club on here.

Like Katic who was not good enough yet some people had him as the second coming of Maldini when he was out on loan

Quality player. Reads the game well, classy on the ball, and quick.
No coincidence we've started winning with Davies and Goldson at the heart of the defense.

Didn’t look too quick for the goal. Kennedy beats him from his own half.

Davies is good on the ball, of moderate pace, a decent reader, pretty poor in the air and relatively weak for a centre half. He does a job, but not much else.

Davies is good on the ball, of moderate pace, a decent reader, pretty poor in the air and relatively weak for a centre half. He does a job, but not much else.

We'll agree to differ, I think he's an excellent signing + Kennedy was sprinting full pelt whilst our backline had stopped for offside, so that scenario didn't exist. He's got plenty of pace.

Hopefully he is still finding his feet and will improve over the next couple of months, but if not then I would be tempted to sell him back to a Championship club for £1.5- 2m if we can get it and reinvest the money.

Unless he has a Bassey like transformation, this summer is our only chance to get any decent money back on him.

Unless we win multiple league titles in his time here with him as a regular then I can’t see the fee being justified. (Not the players fault)
£4m was a lot of money for a centre half 20 years ago, but in the world of football and especially the English market where we got him from its peanuts.

We paid similar money for Goldson and have only won 2 trophies in the 4 seasons he’s been here - is his fee justified?

If Davies makes a goal saving tackle that helps us qualify for the Champions League in the next 3 season, then the fee is paid back in one go and then some.

If you want a ball playing, left footed, experienced centre half at a good age then you need to pay the going rate or they’ll go elsewhere.

Davies was in a 2v1 situation. If he’d tracked the forward 100% he would have been drawn further away leaving an open goal for the ball carrying player. He was on a hiding to nothing when Barasic fell asleep.
Well said, anyone blaming Davies for that really isn't paying attention.

I like him but was ball watching at the goal.

This manouvre will happen again for us conceeding a goal unless we waken up our ideas.

Surely we watched the manchester Derby the day before and said to ourselves that's a new move we need to address.

£4m was a lot of money for a centre half 20 years ago, but in the world of football and especially the English market where we got him from its peanuts.

We paid similar money for Goldson and have only won 2 trophies in the 4 seasons he’s been here - is his fee justified?

If Davies makes a goal saving tackle that helps us qualify for the Champions League in the next 3 season, then the fee is paid back in one go and then some.

If you want a ball playing, left footed, experienced centre half at a good age then you need to pay the going rate or they’ll go elsewhere.
It might be an insignificant sum in the English market, but it’s a significant fee to us which is what matters.

As for Goldson. I’m not a huge fan but given the stability he has given us over the last 4 years and the upgrade he was on why preceded him then I would say that he has been value. If we want to win more title than Celtic over the next decade we need better than both of them though.

It might be an insignificant sum in the English market, but it’s a significant fee to us which is what matters.

As for Goldson. I’m not a huge fan but given the stability he has given us over the last 4 years and the upgrade he was on why preceded him then I would say that he has been value. If we want to win more title than Celtic over the next decade we need better than both of them though.
If you’re buying players from Europe/England, then the market dictates the prices. You can’t drive the price of a transfer down because we have a poor TV deal.

Your previous post stated we should be looking at the bosman market. There’s no defenders in our wage bracket kicking around on a bosman who are an upgrade on either.

Am I missing something but why do people not rate him?

The goal yesterday was all on barisic.

Personally think him and CG are building a very positive relationship and gives us a fantastic foundation moving forward. No doubt in my mind they need a better GK Infront of them and a better defensive midfielder but so far so good.

Is it more people want him to be a failure so they can stick the boot in on his signing?
Because he was signed by Ross Wilson at a period where we didn't "spend any money".....

If you’re buying players from Europe/England, then the market dictates the prices. You can’t drive the price of a transfer down because we have a poor TV deal.

Your previous post stated we should be looking at the bosman market. There’s no defenders in our wage bracket kicking around on a bosman who are an upgrade on either.
I can’t name players, I’m not a scout, but I think we could get a player of Davies level for under £1m if we looked hard enough.

For us to spend £3m+ on a player we would be expecting them to improve the team noticeably. Goldson did that when he came in (admittedly it was from a lower starting point), I don’t think Davies has yet.

Pretty bizarre suggesting Davies isn’t already a very important member of the starting 11 who is proving his worth.

Since his return from injury the clean sheets speak for themselves tbh. They also include being in front of a shocking GK situation.

I think he is fine generally and balances well with Goldson. But he was looking at play develop, stopped himself at what he thought was offside, never shouted to Borna until it was too late that someone was making late run, then got caught between helping shut down cross or cover middle and done neither. So he has to take a share of blame yesterday.
Our 2 Full Backs are god awful defensively and the root of most of our defensive issues. Them along with an aging GK who is rooted to his line and doesn’t command his 6ft box when crosses are fired in!

Our finances are massively improved now we've sold Bassey, Patterson, Aribo and made the Champions League.
Why are we not spending more then?

£4m on a guy with little to no sell-on value is crazy, especially if he’s not seen as a sure thing.

Why are we not spending more then?

£4m on a guy with little to no sell-on value is crazy, especially if he’s not seen as a sure thing.
Because despite the absolute hysteria on here, we've got a team capable of winning trophies, reaching European finals and challenging for the league with what we've spent already. Things went off the rail a bit under Gio because the players and coaching staff weren't working well together, but that's happened at far bigger clubs that have spent far more on both coaches and players. We'll gradually now add more and more to it rather than building from a position of nothing through signing players like Davies and hopefully, in time, Yilmaz although spending money doesn't make you immune from signing the occasional dud either. Celtic have probably gone through a hundred or more players to build their squad, they've just had a solid financial footing that we haven't for the past decade to do so.

Did you watch our shambles of a defence when he was out injured? It’s no coincidence we’ve improved since he came back.
Did you watch our defence at the sheep’s goal and any set pieces put into our penalty area caused chaos especially during that last ten minutes of extra time. Not much organisation going on as far as I could see.

Did you watch our defence at the sheep’s goal and any set pieces put into our penalty area caused chaos especially during that last ten minutes of extra time. Not much organisation going on as far as I could see.
Goldson had literally no part in the Aberdeen goal. Set pieces are a nightmare because we have an old man in goal who doesn’t leave his line.

Got flung about like Karl Svensson for their second goal.

To caveat that, he's a lovely footballer and gives the side a better balance.

Jury is still out.

4m on him is another massive mistake he has nothing about him to cope with Scottish football probably a fine player not in this league he’s all wrong.

He got targeted and will happen more

Got flung about like Karl Svensson for their second goal.

To caveat that, he's a lovely footballer and gives the side a better balance.

Jury is still out.
Good comparison

A tidy player but never going to be suited to the Scottish game. Probably more suited to a softer league such as the Swiss or Swedish leagues

Decent defender on the ground

Very good on the ball

Below Average in the air

A Rangers CB should never lose a first ball in the air like that on the edge of our own box.

Good enough to be 3rd or 4th choice. Not good enough to be 2nd choice beside Goldson imo.

Absolutely non existent in the air.

I actually don’t remember him ever having won a header.

I can’t see him lasting long as a first pick. His position will be addressed in the summer imo.

Back