Ben Davies

Isje 931

Am I missing something but why do people not rate him?

The goal yesterday was all on barisic.

Personally think him and CG are building a very positive relationship and gives us a fantastic foundation moving forward. No doubt in my mind they need a better GK Infront of them and a better defensive midfielder but so far so good.

Is it more people want him to be a failure so they can stick the boot in on his signing?

I think he is fine generally and balances well with Goldson. But he was looking at play develop, stopped himself at what he thought was offside, never shouted to Borna until it was too late that someone was making late run, then got caught between helping shut down cross or cover middle and done neither. So he has to take a share of blame yesterday.

Personally think him and CG are building a very positive relationship and gives us a fantastic foundation moving forward. No doubt in my mind they need a better GK Infront of them and a better defensive midfielder but so far so good.

Is it more people want him to be a failure so they can stick the boot in on his signing?
I like him but he was close enough to their goal to shoulder some of the blame - as was McGregor.

Can’t get my head round people blaming him and McGregor for the first goal at all. Barasic is sleeping so much that it basically becomes a two on one, the best players in the world would struggle to defend those situations. Not sure what else he could do.

McGregor could maybe have been a yard or two further off his line but even then I’m not sure what difference it would have done, the damage was already done by Borna sleeping

I think he's been okay so far but nothing spectacular. Has made a few mistakes that you wouldn't expect a seasoned pro to make.

For £4m outlay, I'd be expecting better, and I think that's why people might be getting critical about him at times.

I think he is fine generally and balances well with Goldson. But he was looking at play develop, stopped himself at what he thought was offside, never shouted to Borna until it was too late that someone was making late run, then got caught between helping shut down cross or cover middle and done neither. So he has to take a share of blame yesterday.

He does what the inside CB should do in that situation and cover the front post tbf,. It's just that Goldson and Tav were miles away to pick up the runners. All round poor from everyone but more so Barisic than anyone else imo

I think he's a very poor defender. Not strong enough, either in the tackle or in the air, and their goal yesterday just confirmed it for me. There's a reason nobody in the championship was interested in signing him after playing there for a season. He's decent with the ball at his feet but we need defensively strong defenders at the moment, especially with Barisic being so prone to errors

Rate him very highly, his partnership with Goldson is looking good. Think they just need McLaughlin behind them for the rest of the season, then a new no.1 behind them next year.

Caveat, he was partially at fault yesterday too, but mainly our left back who feigns injury every extra time.

Sorry but not for me, no were strong or aggresive enough,better needed going forward.

Yes, you are missing something I think. At the goal he was slow and terrible positionally. Because Borna was horrific doesn't mean Davies wasn't poor.

I don't get Davies to be honest. He's not aggressive, he's not fast, he's not a great ball playing defender. He's just alright. Very much the lesser one between him and Goldson. I expected better. And I've not seen him getting a hard time at all really so not sure where the OP is coming from.

Barisic deciding to stand still expecting a decision is what cost the goal.

I thought Davies played well yesterday, especially in the later stages of the game.

Yes, you are missing something I think. At the goal he was slow and terrible positionally. Because Borna was horrific doesn't mean Davies wasn't poor.

I don't get Davies to be honest. He's not aggressive, he's not fast, he's not a great ball playing defender. He's just alright. Very much the lesser one between him and Goldson. I expected better. And I've not seen him getting a hard time at all really so not sure where the OP is coming from.

What did he do wrong positionally?

He positions himself where he should as the centre back closest to the ball. If you enter the box with a striker as the inside centre back you don't man mark him, you position yourself at the best position to stop the ball.

He does what the inside CB should do in that situation and cover the front post tbf,. It's just that Goldson and Tav were miles away to pick up the runners. All round poor from everyone but more so Barisic than anyone else imo
This in a nutshell, Borna primarily to blame though Goldson and Tav are miles out of position also leaving Davies to cover. He's not an aggressive C/H by any means but his positional play and playing the ball out from the back is good. Looks to be a good balance with him and Goldson

I am not sure about him and I don't think he looks like a good defender, but it is still early days.

Yesterday I thought he might have done better with their goal, but to defend him, as I recall he got his positioning spot on to catch their center-forward offside, his pitch geography was thus spot on, and he read that part of the game perfectly. Then we have the deep runner who suddenly shifts the focus and discombobulated the entire situation, Barasic is slow to react, McGregor is also too slow to assess the danger and Davies finds himself all over the place as his pitch geograp[hy goes awol.
The final nail in his and Ranger's coffin is that Davies with the centre forward now back onside (how the fck should that be allowed?) doesn't defend the goal by getting himself into the right position between the now onside centre forward and the target.

That said, it was a bizarre situation and not one that I believe is in the spirit of the game and it makes a farce of offside and how defenders are meant to read such situations regarding their positioning.

So in fairness to Davies the jury is still out.
Barasic and McGregor are, however, another story!

What's the patter with players pulling up their shorts at corners, notice it most with him and Morelos, shorts restrict their jump?

Barisic was a shambles for that goal. No doubt about that.

But after Barisic’s brain fart, Davies had one guy to mark in the middle and was miles away from him ball watching.

Barisic was disgraceful on his part, but Davies never covered himself in glory with the secondary part.

PS
I’m not one of them who doesn’t rate Davies. He was poor in part for the goal imo though.

Edit:
Barisic (and Davies to a far far lesser extant) acted like this was the first time the had ever played a game with VAR. ie waiting for a flag. Even if the guy was offside - the flag isn’t going to come.
Old phrase never so apt…. Play to the whistle lads.

I really like Davies. Him and Goldson are very good together.

Annoyingly Barisic seemed to be getting is form back the last few weeks but was rotten yesterday. Really hoping his form doesn't nosedive again as a consistent back 4 of him, Tav, Goldson and Davies could work very very well.

He fills me with fear tbh.
Both aberdeen "goals" yesterday he was so slow to get back. I don't think he's always spot on positionally when it comes to covering LB area either.

IIRC was he not supposed to be another ball playing CB? He doesn't fill me with confidence in that aspect either.

Given the choice I would have Balogun in the side over him every week myself.
I'm sure others will have polar opposite opinions from mine though

Got to remember his time with us has been stop start with injuries/different defensive partners, despite that I think he’s looked really good, can only see him and Goldson getting better and better as well

Thought he was at fault for the goal, he ran back then checked his run when he should have sprinted to match the runner.

In general he has been good. When him and Goldson are available CB is the least of our issues

What did he do wrong positionally?

He positions himself where he should as the centre back closest to the ball. If you enter the box with a striker as the inside centre back you don't man mark him, you position yourself at the best position to stop the ball.
So he neither marked the striker or went to the ball to close it down. He was also shocking at the disallowed goal where he backed off the guy and didn't even put himself between the goal and striker.

If you don't think Davies has any responsibility from the goal from this position then...ok.

W
Barisic was a shambles for that goal. No doubt about that.

But after Barisic’s brain fart, Davies had one guy to mark in the middle and was miles away from him ball watching.

Barisic was disgraceful on his part, but Davies never covered himself in glory with the secondary part.

PS
I’m not one of them who doesn’t rate Davies. He was poor in part for the goal imo though.

I don't whatsoever agree with this

Davies actually enters the box with two players. He can't mark both so does what he should and position himself where he has the best chance of stopping the ball. If he goes central the forward had the rub front and back.

It's basic defending for a centre back

Thanks mate, sometimes i want to scream at this forum, that goal was not his fault anyone with half a brain can see this.

He fills me with fear tbh.
Both aberdeen "goals" yesterday he was so slow to get back. I don't think he's always spot on positionally when it comes to covering LB area either.

IIRC was he not supposed to be another ball playing CB? He doesn't fill me with confidence in that aspect either.

Given the choice I would have Balogun in the side over him every week myself.
I'm sure others will have polar opposite opinions from mine though

Of course they will, Balogun's positioning was terrible. So much so he had to constantly use his pace to cover how bad it was. A very average Centre Back.

I thought he came onto a really good game the longer the game went on yesterday. However! Every aerial challenge he goes for is 50:50 who wins it. This is entirely unacceptable for a Rangers CH. He is also a bit powder puff and missing aggression for his role. I think we need better.

So he neither marked the striker or went to the ball to close it down. He was also shocking at the disallowed goal where he backed off the guy and didn't even put himself between the goal and striker.

If you don't think Davies has any responsibility from the goal from this position then...ok.

Not sure what this photo proves tbh

He's a a whole lot better than Sands, not heard many folk criticising him.
Sands would actually be a good CB in Bundesliga or similar. In Scotland however he will always be seen as a weak link.

Prior to the goal Davies was doing his job. Barišić doing what he always does - sleeping, caught out and unable to defend. The rest of our players were either caught up the park, out of position or flat footed, or a half hearted trot.

Miovski makes a good run, Davies then has to try and cover two options; front post and cut out a cross making sure the striker doesn't run across him or peel away. He didn't get his positioning spot on but tbf to Kennedy, he delivered a good ball.

Davies has been fine. I still think there is more to come. The team do not defend well as a unit.

You can blame lots of players but why did a midfielder not track the runner as he came from deep.

Steve Davis would have seen that danger and tracked the man.

His attempt at defending for the goal was pretty bad to be fair. That said, it was all down to Barisic on that occasion. Otherwise, Davies was absolutely fine and is clearly a good defender. I have no worries about him in our defence.

I've stuck up for Barisic on so many occasions and still think he is a capable player but the concentration is just dipping too often and someone else needs to play. As for McGregor and his part - better off just saying nothing.

His attempt at defending for the goal was pretty bad to be fair. That said, it was all down to Barisic on that occasion. Otherwise, Davies was absolutely fine and is clearly a good defender. I have no worries about him in our defence.

I've stuck up for Barisic on so many occasions and still think he is a capable player but the concentration is just dipping too often and someone else needs to play. As for McGregor and his part - better off just saying nothing.

His time is up. Too often he's at fault. You'll get the odd great delivery but his defending is woeful.

I think he's fine, and this is not solely on him, but it would be nice if we could attack opposition corners in the air.

The game of pinball that usually arises, with opposition players firing in shots, isn't good for the heart.

I like Dabies and think he’ll have a good career with us

But I also think folk are unrealistic of what you get for £4m these days due to us signing guys like de boer, numan etc for similar fees.

In todays market £4m gets you a Davies, as simple as that

Too many Rangers fans would rather be able to say ‘I told you so’ then see a player prove him/her wrong be being successful. I slated Davies loads, but am now giving him a chance.

Having said that, he is not worth what we paid for him. He’s a definite downgrade on what Helander gave us when fit. We still need better if we want to be successful.

Davies steps up to catch them offside which doesn't get flagged in todays weird rules, so hes already having to turn and catch a player in full stride.

What i don't like is that the original player who was offside now gets back in behind Davies and what can he do

Still a bit "meh" for me over £3m fee with the potential to take it up to £4m with add ons I just don't think he looks like a £4m defender at times.

People go way overboard about him having good games at SPFL level for the wages and fee we paid for him that should be a given.

Miles better than Sands but I'm not sure he's cut out for European football and at times yesterday our entire defence looked nervous.

Back