David Murray interview and promises from 1992

British super league
British super cup
I remember being about 15 when there was a load of speculation about a British League and my old man said, “they’ve been talking about that since I was your age”..

It just isn’t ever going to happen. I believe Sky could have pushed it through around 2003 or so but the money in the EPL now, and the reduced power that Sky has over the league mean that the time has well & truly passed.

We were lucky to have him.
Wow.

David Murrays legacy is 2012 and nothing else. Ran the club into the ground and bailed out without so much as a glance back. Happy enough to offer up Rangers on a plate to protect his other interests.

We had a relatively small debt, millions of pounds of assets and were running at a profit when he sold us for a pound to a shyster. Nobody with any standing would touch us due to a potential tax liability of millions due to a scheme he was warned against and implemented anyway.

I don't believe we were lucky. Far from it.

You can split his reign almost exactly into two - first half great, and the rest.
Absolutely.

So many high moments in the 90s……………but all soured with his later actions leading us to Craig Whyte.

I honestly can’t ever forgive him for that, he screwed us massively, and Donald Findlay proved in court he knew exactly what he was doing.

I probably have this very wrong, but the latter part of his tenure seems to orientate towards what was happening in the EPL, speculating on the possibility of gaining entry into the second group stage of the CL etc, retaining our competitiveness, and keeping us relevant on that stage; when we could no longer compete with major leagues, it seemed as if it diminished his appetite to do things at the club. People on here will know much more about this than someone like me, but it has always seemed that way, to me anyway.

He took control of Rangers when the club was arguably the biggest in Britain at the time and left a car total crash behind him.

Couldn't shut him up during the good times and during the bad times he would go into hiding.

The fact he's looked on as some kind of hero by the smelly mob now says it all. If he would have sold the club probably around the year 2000 or so he'd have probably been looked apon fondly for decades to come.

He's the one most responsible for the likes of Whyte, Green and Ashley putting the boot to the club as he set everything in motion.

The corners he's talking about filling in are the GWC and GEC that sit below the jumbotrons. The Copland/ Broomloan and Govan weren't connected until after 1994.

I’ve always believed he lost a massive part of his interest in Rangers when it became clear he wasn’t getting into the English top tier.

On a British cup:

I’d have 16 team Scottish league, then get top 4 in Scotland and the 4 top not playing Europe in England, seed so it’s 1 & 4 from both one group, 2&3 the other. Top 2 then go through to 2 legged semi of top v 2nd.

Rest of SPL can play some sort of cup with rest of U.K./Scandinavia or something to up there games.

Anyway would generate some more cash for us up here and increase number of competitive games.

Just a thought.

Anyway in hindsight Murray really was just a timeshare salesman!

What disappointed me most about him was when we needed his help most of all towards the end of his tenure he turned his back on the club that he always claimed to love and threw it to the wolves in order to protect his own personal and business interests. I’ve absolutely no respect for the man whatsoever…..he knew Whyte was a crook but was determined to let him have the club nevertheless despite all the warnings even from his own people such as Alistair Johnston and Martin Bain.

Still cringe at the interview he gave where he stated that " for every £5 they spend we will spend £10 ". Absolute shyster of a man.
yip ,and the enablers aren't half shoving that down our throats now in regards to spending power, loved it when he banned that shower from our stadium ,but sadly caved in and let them back after 1 shut out, the vermin in their support have been ripping the piss at our ground since then

I got the feeling it all started to go sour for him when he underwrote the £50m share issue and there was only around £5m taken up by others (not sure of the correct figure but it was a fraction of the total).
It meant he/his other businesses had to stump up for the rest, and I think he felt aggrieved that he actually had to spend some of his own money supporting the club.

Could have been a legend, ended up a villain.

Wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Edit, I thjnk it might have actually been less than £1m invested by others.

Dave King was a notable absentee in the share offering.

Last edited:
I got the feeling it all started to go sour for him when he underwrote the £50m share issue and there was only around £5m taken up by others (not sure of the correct figure but it was a fraction of the total).
It meant he/his other businesses had to stump up for the rest, and I think he felt aggrieved that he actually had to spend some of his own money supporting the club.

Spot on.

I remember reading some comments he made to the Daily Mail after we signed Michael Ball from Everton: "being a football club chairman should come with a wealth warning: it seriously damages your wealth.". That's when he was beginning to seriously think about getting back his own money. But he seriously miscalculated when underwriting that share issue and that really accelerated his mission to get his money back.

He didn't put in a penny of his own money. He simply moved debt from one of his companies and added it to the mountain of debt he was building at MIH. An empire of debt built on nearly a billion quid of other people's money. And when it blew up in his face, it wasn't Rangers he was desperate to save. Couldn't get rid quick enough.

To think the Knighthood he received was for services to the business sector. At least they had the common sense to take Fred Goodwins back.

He didn't put in a penny of his own money. He simply moved debt from one of his companies and added it to the mountain of debt he was building at MIH. An empire of debt built on nearly a billion quid of other people's money. And when it blew up in his face, it wasn't Rangers he was desperate to save. Couldn't get rid quick enough.

To think the Knighthood he received was for services to the business sector. At least they had the common sense to take Fred Goodwins back.
His vineyard was more important to him

On a British cup:

I’d have 16 team Scottish league, then get top 4 in Scotland and the 4 top not playing Europe in England, seed so it’s 1 & 4 from both one group, 2&3 the other. Top 2 then go through to 2 legged semi of top v 2nd.

Rest of SPL can play some sort of cup with rest of U.K./Scandinavia or something to up there games.

Anyway would generate some more cash for us up here and increase number of competitive games.

Just a thought.

You'd have to put a gun to the heads of the English teams to take part. Then they'd put out a reserve / youth team combo. Which would still be good enough to win it probably.

EPL teams don't even take the FA and League Cups seriously. Which for those of us old enough to remember what the FA Cup was in the 70s and 80s says it all. They are certainly not going to go all in for what they'd see as a Mickey Mouse trophy

I don't think he actually spent one pence of his own cash on Rangers. Got a knighthood

A fraudulent charlatan

we wont ever see the calibre of players that he brought to the club again, although its unforgivable what he done in the end letting whyte take over. the tax case made him get out as quick as he could. the hardest thing to still swallow is the fact if he stayed and fought the tax case then it was not guilty alothough they did appeal. We would then go back again. When he left I’m sure we were only 17 million in debt owed to the bank that was getting paid back at 1 million a year.

His advisors would have given him the scenario of the worst that could happen if the tax case went the wrong way and he’s bolted. The media played their part too scaremongering in the papers with what the courts would be fining us as they all seemed experts on it.

On a British cup:

Just a thought.

English teams have zero interest in being associated with Scottish football.

Back