St Johnstone Red Card

Bigbluebear

Firstly I think it was incredibly harsh. A yellow would have been adequate.

Anyway, what actually happened with the decision? Did Collum go check the screen? He didn't give the card for ages after the challenge. On RTV they seemed to think it was a VAR decision but didn't show Collum over at a screen or show any VAR replays like they did for the Jack one.

Anyway, what actually happened with the decision? Did Collum go check the screen? He didn't give the card for ages after the challenge. On RTV they seemed to think it was a VAR decision but didn't show Collum over at a screen or show any VAR replays like they did for the Jack one.
It unfortunately has to be a red. He was off the ground with both feet, fully aware there was a player in front of him in a dangerous and wreckless manner. I agree it is harsh, but it is the rule

Came up on big screen VAR decision red card, they showed that on RTV.

They didnt know what was going on, I suspect they were watching the screens rather than the pitch.

Collum didn’t award a card until the VAR officials told him it was a red card

On Jack challenge he issued a yellow straight away and VAR official who I think was Clancy asked him to review the foul and he said it was only a yellow

At the game in real time I thought Clark was a bad foul and Jacks was a red card but not seen any replays yet

Collum again was a joke

Morelos was getting rugby tackled at times and Collum gives them a free kick ffs

The way he dealt with the Hagi yellow was a joke too

The guy is an utter arsehole

On Jack challenge he issued a yellow straight away and VAR official who I think was Clancy asked him to review the foul and he said it was only a yellow

At the game in real time I thought Clark was a bad foul and Jacks was a red card but not seen any replays yet

Collum again was a joke

Morelos was getting rugby tackled at times and Collum gives them a free kick ffs

VAR doesn’t have the power to tell the referee to award a red card. They can only tell him to go check it again. That’s why it’s strange that he never went to the screen if VAR was involved.

Collum again was a joke

The VAR official was Nick Walsh

Clarke was off the ground, 2 footed, studs up and caught Jack a few inches below the knee. It was a red all day long. Jack was a very, very lucky boy not to walk too and I was shocked the ref went to see it again and didn’t send him off.

Really weird that it looked like whoever was controlling the big screens sent off Clarke.

Collum again was a joke

Hagi could have been spoken to. He wasnt violent it was a push in the chest, no need for a yellow.

Same with Tillmans yellow, not really sure what the foul was.

Collum again was a joke

Two St Johnstone players run into each other and both end up on the ground and Collum gave them a free kick.
He booked Hagi after the St Johnstone no.34 told him to,then the St J no.34 applauded the decision and nothing was done.

VAR doesn’t have the power to tell the referee to award a red card. They can only tell him to go check it again. That’s why it’s strange that he never went to the screen if VAR was involved.

I thought Collum gave the red on his own, but he took a long time to do it. There was a cheer from the crowd when the card was shown, then the camera panned to Clark moaning and Tom without a clue what was happening, then the big screen showed VAR checking-Red Card.

Certainly more fuel for the VAR conspiracy theorists though.

Without knowing the communication on these things and it having to be a blatant mistake to overturn it I’d say VAR worked properly. Collum thought Clark was a red VAR so no reason to change it or collum said he seen it and wouldn’t change his mind. Jack one he gives the yellow VAR asks him to look at and it stays his decision and he still thinks it’s a yellow

Clark went in to Jack straight legged. He may have been off balance but that's irrelevant. It's a red all day.

Jack can count himself fortunate if we're being honest. Especially it being so soon after the tackle on him.

He dealt with the red card decision very well. VAR had nothing to do with it. He took his time, let the melee calm down, checked on Jack's welfare then correctly issued the red card. The VAR check that came up on the screen was the obligatory check that occurs for every red card. VAR agreed it was a straight red so no need to visit monitor.

Jack's challenge was a few things - petulant, stupid, unnecessary - but it was absolutely not a red card.

Collum got a few things wrong today, but he got all the big decisions spot on.

I thought Collum gave the red on his own, but he took a long time to do it. There was a cheer from the crowd when the card was shown, then the camera panned to Clark moaning and Tom without a clue what was happening, then the big screen showed VAR checking-Red Card.

Aye it didn’t help that Tom etc didn’t have a clue what was happening.

Collum again was a joke

Without VAR Gollum could have turned that game no problem

Collum again was a joke

He was fukin useless today, I thought he ruined the game, stopped any flow with his constant whistle blowing and lectures.

Was a minor miracle that he didn't send Jack off.

VAR was checking whether there was an issue with the on field decision to send Clark off. The notification comes up when a decision is being reviewed.

Collum took his time to send him off, possibly due to getting treatment on for Jack and I guess he may have been talking to the 4th Official and Assistant.

Stonewaller

He did, the delay was due to him checking Jack was ok and getting treatment for him.

Hagi could have been spoken to. He wasnt violent it was a push in the chest, no need for a yellow.

Same with Tillmans yellow, not really sure what the foul was.
Collum gestured him to come over and I think he was just going to have a word with him. It was Hagi's response to him calling him over, that got him the card.
But Collum is still a bawbag of the highest order!

Collum again was a joke

Wouldn’t say it was a joke the way he dealt with Hagi.

It didn’t look like he was going to book him and just wanted to have a word. Pretty sure the yellow will be for dissent to the way Hagi reacted when Collum called him over

The St Johnstone red card incident was very odd.

He was a total prick at the Hagi booking.

Having just seen sportscene….no, that’s not a red card for them.

And from reading the “lucky lucky boy” on the BBC minute by minute, I was expecting Jack’s tackle to be far worse than it actually was too by the way

Incidentally I thought Collums arrogance and hubris actually worked to his benefit there.

I’ve seen better referees…elite level referees…crumble in the face of the “go to the screens to check” and reverse what was the correct on field decision

He stuck with the yellow for Jack

And from reading the “lucky lucky boy” on the BBC minute by minute, I was expecting Jack’s tackle to be far worse than it actually was too by the way
Jacks wasnt a terrible tackle but it was really fckin stupid, especially so soon after their red when you know their players will be hounding the ref to even it up. Jumps into a needless tackle with the player going nowhere and catches him just below the ankle.

If Collum had sent him off I doubt VAR would’ve told him to have another look.

Incidentally I thought Collums arrogance and hubris actually worked to his benefit there.

I’ve seen better referees…elite level referees…crumble in the face of the “go to the screens to check” and reverse what was the correct on field decision

He stuck with the yellow for Jack
Very rarely do you see a ref not change their mind after going to the screen. It’s like they feel obliged to change it most of the time.

I was watching on RTV and they had no idea what was going on. I assumed that was just them being daft but it seems like it was unclear to anyone paying attention too. Very odd.

I thought it was harsh. Entirely accidental albeit ending in a bad one. Put it this way - I’m raging if a Rangers player is sent off for that.

Agree, I don't think either were red card offences.

The Clark one reminded me of when Jack got sent off against Aberdeen for a challenge with Stevie May, played the ball but follow through caught the player.

Jack's challenge in the game today, I thought a booking was right, it was a late challenge, nothing more.

Jacks wasnt a terrible tackle but it was really fckin stupid, especially so soon after their red when you know their players will be hounding the ref to even it up. Jumps into a needless tackle with the player going nowhere and catches him just below the ankle.

If Collum had sent him off I doubt VAR would’ve told him to have another look.

Yes it was stupid and he was clearly riled by the tackle on himself. I agree had he been shown a red VAR likely wouldn’t have overturned. You can see that from them not overturning the St Johnstone one…but it’s a moot point because in Jack’s case the initial call was correct.

But I suppose all this will do is fuel the conspiracy theorists

I was watching on RTV and they had no idea what was going on. I assumed that was just them being daft but it seems like it was unclear to anyone paying attention too. Very odd.

I thought it was harsh. Entirely accidental albeit ending in a bad one. Put it this way - I’m raging if a Rangers player is sent off for that.
Straight legged, studs up and catches Jack very high. Accidental but it’s endangering an opponent and a red card.

Clarke was off the ground, 2 footed, studs up and caught Jack a few inches below the knee. It was a red all day long. Jack was a very, very lucky boy not to walk too and I was shocked the ref went to see it again and didn’t send him off.

Really weird that it looked like whoever was controlling the big screens sent off Clarke.
Not weird at all, when you take into account the var live feed is direct from the lodge ;) :shh:

Michael Stewart:

- Rangers pen wasn't a pen
- Clark's red wasn't a red
- Jack's yellow should've been red

it looked like seeing the state of jack’s leg while getting treatment was the final bit of evidence he needed to get the red card out

Back