St Johnstone Red Card

Collum is a shocking referee, you never know what he is going to come up with. His performance in the Caley Thistle v Arbroath playoff last year was utterly comical. If that had been an important SPFL game he would have surely been in trouble. The game was big enough but he seemed to get away with it.

Agree. He had the chance to not award us a pen, not send off clark and send off jack. Especially after var asked him too look and he didn’t. He has never been a cheat. He has always been a useless wank though.
Never been a cheat? Explain Hibs away and Lundstrams red card. He tried to even it up after what was deemed a soft pen he had given us. That’s not incompetence that’s cheating. Also sending off Candeias albeit after the final whistle for an incident he never even seen. Then admitted he never seen it. Then on the guidance of his bosses changed his version of events again.
Yes he’s incompetent and very poor at officiating, but he’s also cheated on a number of occasions.

A few moonhowlers on Twitter trying to claim that VAR told Collum to show the red card even though they didn't get involved until after the card was shown. All because Collum waited about a minute before showing Clark the red.

Last edited:
Never been a cheat? Explain Hibs away and Lundstrams red card. He tried to even it up after what was deemed a soft pen he had given us. That’s not incompetence that’s cheating. Also sending off Candeias albeit after the final whistle for an incident he never even seen. Then admitted he never seen it. Then on the guidance of his bosses changed his version of events again.
Yes he’s incompetent and very poor at officiating, but he’s also cheated on a number of occasions.
He has so so many bad decisions against every team. As i say, i don’t think he is a cheat, just a useless gimp

He dealt with the red card decision very well. VAR had nothing to do with it. He took his time, let the melee calm down, checked on Jack's welfare then correctly issued the red card. The VAR check that came up on the screen was the obligatory check that occurs for every red card. VAR agreed it was a straight red so no need to visit monitor.

Jack's challenge was a few things - petulant, stupid, unnecessary - but it was absolutely not a red card.

Collum got a few things wrong today, but he got all the big decisions spot on.
Bingo

He dealt with the red card decision very well. VAR had nothing to do with it. He took his time, let the melee calm down, checked on Jack's welfare then correctly issued the red card. The VAR check that came up on the screen was the obligatory check that occurs for every red card. VAR agreed it was a straight red so no need to visit monitor.

Jack's challenge was a few things - petulant, stupid, unnecessary - but it was absolutely not a red card.

Collum got a few things wrong today, but he got all the big decisions spot on.
I, and everyone around me, thought Jack was certain to be sent off when Collum went to the monitor and were pleasantly suprised when he chose to ignore the VAR advice and stick to his original decision.

Collum isn't a cheat, he's just a useless bastard, imho.
He's useless every week. How he was at Ibrox a week after his Hampden nightmare beggars belief. He should be refereeing amateur games until he chucks it.

Aye he did, seen it with my own eyes.

If he didn’t he must have fucked off from the pitch for a shite then came back.
He went to the screen for the Jack card, I meant the Clark one. Sure he didn’t for that?

Aye he did, seen it with my own eyes.

If he didn’t he must have fucked off from the pitch for a shite then came back.
No you didn't. He went to the screen to review the Jack card. He didn't go to the screen for the Clark card. He never left the pitch. %^*& knows what's wrong with your eyes.

VAR doesn’t have the power to tell the referee to award a red card. They can only tell him to go check it again. That’s why it’s strange that he never went to the screen if VAR was involved.
Can the ref verbally say to VAR team that he thinks it's a red card and ask them to check or does he have to make his own on field decision as the referee and then let VAR kick in ?

Felt like he was giving feck all and then the VAR say red.

Can the ref verbally say to VAR team that he thinks it's a red card and ask them to check or does he have to make his own on field decision as the referee and then let VAR kick in ?

Felt like he was giving feck all and then the VAR say red.
He either has to make the decision and VAR will review it or VAR will advise him to check it on the screen if they think he’s made a mistake.

VAR doesn’t have the power to tell the referee to award a red card. They can only tell him to go check it again. That’s why it’s strange that he never went to the screen if VAR was involved.
Course they can, you witnessed it yesterday.

Very similar tackle to Scott McDonald v kenny Miller minus the outrage

Undeniable red card and I’m not even giving Clark the benifit of the doubt it’s a cowards tackle

Var was just reviewing the red card decision, Collum made the decision to send him off.
Yes, I think the conversation was probably along the line of "I'm thinking that's a red card. Check and confirm please". Check done, confirmed a red card...duly branded.

It was harsh. He went for the ball and it was Clark’s right knee that hit Ryan Jacks left knee. Clarks left leg went through Jacks legs live I thought he’d caught him with the follow through. Gollum should have went to the tv screen. Harsh.
Ryan Jack was very lucky to recieve a yellow. I’d have said it was a red. But will take it.

Yes, I think the conversation was probably along the line of "I'm thinking that's a red card. Check and confirm please". Check done, confirmed a red card...duly branded.
No, that’s not how it works, var can’t be used by the ref to make the initial decision.

Watched the analysis on Sportscene by McFadden and Celtic employee Michael Stewart. No pundit seems to have taken the trouble to read the rules and instead are allowed to spout their views unchallenged fuelling timmy conspiracy theorists….. Defender’s arm extended well outside the body line which made himself bigger, ( whether time to get it out the way is neither here nor there).Under the rules…..penalty. Harsh or not, that’s the rules and that’s why Collum couldn’t NOT give it.
Sending off, Clark went right through him with his left foot at knee height following through with right leg - no attempt to do anything other than take him out. Dangerous play…. Under rules - a red card.
Jack’s yellow.- Clearly went for the ball, foot barely off the ground caught the guy’s foot and the ball at same time- mainly because the guy’s foot moved slightly into Jack’s way as Jack went for the ball. Just because the guy rolled about like a shot Indian and the St J players swarmed the ref didn’t change the fact of what actually happened. Yellow at worse.
If refs Collum and Walsh on VAR could under the rules in any way have given any of these decisions against us, don’t you think they would?
It’s not a question of harshness or whatever… it’s a clear unequivocal correct interpretation of the rules as they are at present.
Once again lazy punditry by no friends of Rangers who haven’t taken the time to understand the rules. Then again the same applies to some of our own who are unaware of how the rules are applied.
The ‘harsh’ comments are, right or wrong, an irrelevancy.

The Jack tackle is made to look a lot worse by the reaction of the player. It is not two footed and he is not off the ground so a yellow is the correct decision

I thought the sending off was quite harsh, I would be disappointed if our player was sent off for that

Some mischievous editing going on there. Shows the screen saying VAR decision red card before it shows Collum red carding him. Happened the other way about. Deliberate shit stirring from Sky, or am I being cynical? :rolleyes:
I watched it on, erm, holiday, on TV.

From memory, the live coverage showed the big screen saying red card before anyone realised Collum had sent Clark off so I don't think any editing was involved in the Sky clip.

Collum didn’t award a card until the VAR officials told him it was a red card

On Jack challenge he issued a yellow straight away and VAR official who I think was Clancy asked him to review the foul and he said it was only a yellow

At the game in real time I thought Clark was a bad foul and Jacks was a red card but not seen any replays yet

Collum again was a joke

Morelos was getting rugby tackled at times and Collum gives them a free kick ffs

The way he dealt with the Hagi yellow was a joke too

The guy is an utter arsehole

Hagi raised his hands and vigorously pushed the St Johnstone player who had fouled him. I fully get that Hagi was returning after a year out but that doesn't mean opponents are not going to tackle him, nor does it give him a free pass too raise his hands. Some refs may have given him a quiet word but Collum is a card happy ref.

My honest opinion is the penalty was correct, the rule might be harsh but under the rules it is a penalty.

I think a yellow for Clark and Jack and few would have complained.

Michael Stewart:

- Rangers pen wasn't a pen
- Clark's red wasn't a red
- Jack's yellow should've been red

Pen was a pen by the letter of the law. I do think the majority of these are harsh but its the law, his arm was extremely high.

Red for Clark, I don't think was a red. He was a bit high but I didn't feel there was a lot of force or that he was out of control. I think it was a yellow.

Jack looked in control, his feet where on the ground, it was a foul and a yellow. Right decision in my opinion.

The Jack tackle is made to look a lot worse by the reaction of the player. It is not two footed and he is not off the ground so a yellow is the correct decision

I thought the sending off was quite harsh, I would be disappointed if our player was sent off for that

Agree on the Jack tackle. Its made to look miles worse by a combination of the opposition player rolling about & their players going mental largely as it was not long after the red.

It looked like a fairly standard mistimed slide tackle. Wasn't out of control & was low.

There was no need to make it given where it is on the pitch but its never a red

Michael Stewart:

- Rangers pen wasn't a pen
- Clark's red wasn't a red
- Jack's yellow should've been red

Michael Stewart goes out his way every game to argue against the rules.

He did the other week regarding the Aberdeen sending off and crumbled when he was challenged, and quickly backtracked. Problem is when you have anti Rangers panelists you are going to get a biassed view.

They 3 decisions are about the only ones Collum actually got right all game.

Clark’s sending off Collum seen what everyone in the ground seen, a dangerous studs up challenge, he went checked on Jack and actually seen where the stud marks were on Jack just to confirm before issuing the red.

What is worrying is why Nick Walsh thought Jack’s tackle was a red card and asked Collum to look at it. Montgomery is a cheating wee scum bag, he wasn’t injured he was feigning injury rolling about hoping the referee would even things up. Had Clark not been sent off no one would have batted an eyelid at Jack’s challenge.

How folk can’t understand the rules around handball in the box is beyond me. It is quite clear not all handball contact is a penalty but it is clear what one’s are like yesterday’s.

It isn't "straight legged". He kicks the ball and jack collides with his boot afterwards.

Was an unfortunate collision

This for me too. For me a red card should take into account the intention of a player to harm another player. I don't think Clark was intentionally trying to do Jack therefor it's a yellow for me

I can see why it was given although I think Clark was unfortunate. Don't think it was intentional but at that height you're always running the risk.

Jack was just so stupid and it actually annoyed me he launched into that tackle.

Sure. But all from a follow through on the ball when he was there before Jack. Other way round and I’m not going to be happy but of course pleased it went our way.
It was a wild tackle though. He was out of control and the injury to jack could have been a lot worse. Getting the ball first is irrelevant.

Back