Does the summer rebuild feel a little easier now?

Northampton_Loyalist

It is a welcome change in policy to see a couple of first team players join in a January window (assuming no further business, ofc) rather than panic buys and loans. It has been clear since the season opened, and probably for longer, that the squad needed surgery but my thinking on the summer has changed from being almost overwhelmed by the scale of changes needed to being quietly optimistic that it is actually only some tweaking needed now.

While it is only 2 players, when you add in the injured guys returning (those likely to stay fit) suddenly it appears we have a core group of younger, hungrier players that need a few more, rather than a squad needing to be ripped up and totally replaced. The majority of the players likely to leave are already replaced and in truth, Kent and a striker are now the two concerns. If we can replace both in the summer, or if Kent signs back on just a striker, we are maybe now only looking at a goalkeeper and centre half to have us in a really strong place squad wise. Further additions in midfield would be welcome, but the overall picture looks far better than it did.

Do we still think that wholesale changes will be needed or do people agree that a summer seeing 2-3 key signings would actually get us right back on track?

Keeper’s the no 1 priority & if Kent’s away along with Alfie a left winger & striker should be next next positions needing reinforcements.

to answer your question yes it does but still not enough.

We have been getting hammered in midfield for a while so these additions plus the injured coming back will make a massive difference come the summer.

For me we still need to add a keeper, CB, LB, winger and striker

What we desperately need though is our hunger and die hard winning mentality

No it’s still sizeable given the bodies who will be leaving, and what was required before that.

Right out the gate we need a keeper, probably a centre half, a striker (possibly two) and a right sided attacker. (If Kent goes a left sided attacker too).

That’s also assuming Cantwell and Raskin deliver, though I’m confident they will.

Good post. Pleasing thing for me is these are two signings that the manager clearly wanted as opposed to a dof recommendation, and that its the area of the team that I think most urgently needed it ( with possible exception of goalkeeper).
I think we might have seen another one or two if we'd moved anyone on but with the contract situation for so many first teamers, it will be important in the summer to get 2 or 3 in early in the window. We won't be chucking mega bucks around and it'll likely be that a few arrive late, so having a few bedded in with at least a proper pre season will be a big help

Even bigger should Kent and/or Morelos leave?

A quality number 1 is a priority. We need a defender, the midfield will still need an injection of quality, a striker/attacking players based on the above. We may lose Kamara?

These are two signings that definitely will make the rebuild easier.
There are plenty of positions that will need strengthening, but also plenty who will be leaving.
For the club’s future over the next five years, the next window will probably be the most important

I think it takes care of two problem areas, but we've certainly got others needing addressed. Beale has mentioned he's got a striker in mind, and presumably the centre-back we've gone for this week might be easier to acquire come the summer. So there's two we've likely earmarked.

Beyond that, a No 1 is crucial. A second striker probably sensible, and a possible Ryan Kent replacement if he doesn't stay around.

We don't have the cash to do everything in one window, maybe even two. But it's progress. If we weren't getting a goalkeeper, then a No 6 was the next most important for me.

Id be delighted if we retained Kent and signed a new number 1 early summer.

Still a couple decisions to be made though regarding Kent and Alfie. Who we will be selling etc.

Delighted with the two signings this window though. Improves us massively.

We will need several signings right across the spine of our team come the summer.

A goalkeeper
A commanding presence at the back that we have not had since Bassey
Likely a midfield partner to play alongside Raskin, doubtful Kamara will stay and Davis retiring
A decision will need to be made on Tillman
Most likely a new no 9.

So to answer the question, do the signings help, well hopefully, do they make the summer rebuild any easier, not really, it's still going to be a mammoth task.

It does for me. Feels like for decades we have been taking on decent players and then trying to make them into a team. Now we have a proper structure and we have started buying a particular player for a position.

If we start the season without a new goalkeeper and a new striker I will be really disappointed.

I think it does in the sense it shows us that Beale isn’t interested in ‘fillers’ and wants to improve the first 11.

Sure we may use loans on the future but if we get the standard of player we have just brought in in the summer window x 4 or 5 then that’s a big change and pushes the current first 11 down, then we need to repeat that process.

Summer will prob see 1/2 development type making with Lowry.

Good post. Pleasing thing for me is these are two signings that the manager clearly wanted as opposed to a dof recommendation, and that its the area of the team that I think most urgently needed it ( with possible exception of goalkeeper).
I think we might have seen another one or two if we'd moved anyone on but with the contract situation for so many first teamers, it will be important in the summer to get 2 or 3 in early in the window. We won't be chucking mega bucks around and it'll likely be that a few arrive late, so having a few bedded in with at least a proper pre season will be a big help
You don’t think raskin from belgium is a dof recommendation?

Can I ask why?

Absolutely not.

In case anyone is in a forgetful frame of mind, this present lot of ours are not only nine points behind but averaging a goal a game less in GD.
We’ve secured long term replacements for Davis and Arfield so of course the summer rebuild is easier. He didn’t ask if the rebuild was complete. Of course there are still big challenges ahead.

We will need several signings right across the spine of our team come the summer.

A goalkeeper
A commanding presence at the back that we have not had since Bassey
Likely a midfield partner to play alongside Raskin, doubtful Kamara will stay and Davis retiring
A decision will need to be made on Tillman
Most likely a new no 9.

So to answer the question, do the signings help, well hopefully, do they make the summer rebuild any easier, not really, it's still going to be a mammoth task.
You don’t think goldson is a commanding presence at the back?

He’s practically our captain out there in everything but name and has been excellent since returning from injury.

Goalkeeper, Centre back, back up right back, back up left back, left winger (depending on Kent) and 2 strikers.

Potentially another 1 or 2 cm’s depending on Jack/Arfield/Kamara situation.

1 GK
1 CB
1 CM
1 RF
1 ST

Hopefully a decent budget a good clear out of out of contract/fringe players and we can add genuine quality in the summer hopefully.

I agree that those are the positions that we need, and all starting XI quality. If we can get a CB as good as Goldson for the left hand side, a CM as good as we think Raskin is, and 2 quality goalscorers, we're looking good. The returns of Hagi, Lawrence, Souttar, Yilmaz and hopefully Roofe between now and the start of next season means we don't need more depth, just quality starters.

Getting players off the wage bill is just as important in the summer though. I hope we're ruthless, accept any offers from players that look as though they've lost their hunger and can get about 15 out.

If we do all that, we'll be in a great place.

You don’t think goldson is a commanding presence at the back?

He’s practically our captain out there in everything but name and has been excellent since returning from injury.

Goldson is an excellent player for us, an organizer and a leader and is a pretty solid defender whilst also being quite decent on the ball.

However, I do still feel like we miss physical presence at the back, and are particularly weak at set pieces.

Davies has been decent, but ultimately I feel like we can have someone a bit more aggressive in there.

Also, if one of Davies or Goldson gets injured we're pretty much f.ucked....so you can say for sure a CB is high in the priority list.

We’ve secured long term replacements for Davis and Arfield so of course the summer rebuild is easier. He didn’t ask if the rebuild was complete. Of course there are still big challenges ahead.
Correct.

In November, with a horrific run and a faltering team the summer rebuild felt to me like we had nothing to work with and a full squad to replace. This month, with an upturn in results, some players coming back and 2 first team level players coming in I feel a huge amount more content that we have a base to build from and that even another 2 or 3 in the summer will see us in a far, far better position.

As much as it is a cliche, we will never be ‘done’ when it comes to improving the squad but I genuinely feel far better about the future after this window than I did a wee while ago.

2 first team players coming in, during what is a difficult window, is pleasing.
The Summer will be a big period of transition, driven by what European Football revenue will provide us.
Said all along, MB will need 2 to 3 Transfer Windows to fully stamp his mark on the team.

It is a welcome change in policy to see a couple of first team players join in a January window (assuming no further business, ofc) rather than panic buys and loans. It has been clear since the season opened, and probably for longer, that the squad needed surgery but my thinking on the summer has changed from being almost overwhelmed by the scale of changes needed to being quietly optimistic that it is actually only some tweaking needed now.

While it is only 2 players, when you add in the injured guys returning (those likely to stay fit) suddenly it appears we have a core group of younger, hungrier players that need a few more, rather than a squad needing to be ripped up and totally replaced. The majority of the players likely to leave are already replaced and in truth, Kent and a striker are now the two concerns. If we can replace both in the summer, or if Kent signs back on just a striker, we are maybe now only looking at a goalkeeper and centre half to have us in a really strong place squad wise. Further additions in midfield would be welcome, but the overall picture looks far better than it did.

Do we still think that wholesale changes will be needed or do people agree that a summer seeing 2-3 key signings would actually get us right back on track?
If we are properly refreshing the squad, I think we still need:
Two keepers for me (I think McGregor is done and McLaughlin not good enough) though could live with one top first choice one in
An aerially dominant centre half
A central defensive midfielder to replace Jack
A physical but skilful centre forward genuinely good in the air
A pacy right winger who can finish

We spent best part of £10M in the summer on players that the jury is out on- two have rarely played

Summer will be huge. I expect us to start soon with some pre contracts soon.

Priorities:
Goalkeeper - could be 2 we need
Centre Back - to replace Helander
Midfielder - to replace Davis
Striker - to replace Morelos
Wide Right - a problem for too long
Kent - hopefully resigned
Tillman - secure long term
Plus more depending on outgoings

Sell, Leave, End Loan:
McGregor
McLaughlin
Helander
Morelos
Davis
Sands
Matondo
Ofoborh
Roofe - Maybe
Barisic - Maybe

Calls to be made over Jack, Arfield, McCrorie, Lowry, Lundstram, Hagi and Wright. Some will stay, others won’t.

It’s going to be huge challenge.

Required first team starters in summer
GK x 1
Right back x 1
Defensive mid X 1
Striker x 1
Left back x 1 - if yilmaz isn't good enough

Will probably need squad players depending on who goes and whether any of the b team are capable of stepping up.

You don’t think raskin from belgium is a dof recommendation?

Can I ask why?
maybe i can word that better. Feels like a guy the manager is excited about and fits the profile of what he was after at the start of the window. As opposed to for example GVB this time last year when Ramsey suddenly appears, which had the feel of a deadline day " we've been offered him do ye fancy it"

We probably all remember the endless speculation last summer about the lad Danilho Doekhi, and I can't help but think he was the player that Ross Wilson alluded to at the AGM when he said we had been close to signing a Dutch player during Gio's tenure.

He went to Union Berlin who now sit in second place in the Bundesliga and he's having a tremendous season, chipping in with several goals already despite being a central defender. While we might have tried to tempt him with the prospect of Champions League football, there's every likelihood that he'll get that with his present club, assuming he doesn't move on to one of the top European teams. Definitely a player who would have added some strength and steel to our defence, it's a great shame we missed out on him.

It was last summer and its shocking that its still gonna be the case this summer too.

McGregor was away, I think we can safely say that, something happened over summer to change that.

However, we cant change it now, the manager has addressed it for the summer.

If it isn’t clear in my first post I was referring to the summer spend not the 2 new guys. We gave Gio a reasonable budget and there’s doubt over how successful those signings are and what Beale will do with them.

1 GK
1 CB
1 CM
1 RF
1 ST

Hopefully a decent budget a good clear out of out of contract/fringe players and we can add genuine quality in the summer hopefully.
^ This, whole new spine and a RF required.

Roofe, Wright, Kamara, Lowry and Matondo gone with all the ooc players barring possibly Kent and Jack.

We need to aspire to the likes of Kovacevic and Undav which wouldn't be cheap then supplement them with bosmans like Maja, Van Den Boomen and Cooper.

Expected more to be done this window but the summer will be easier if Raskin and Cantwell perform for us yes.

If they don't the summer will be tough.

Back