Had the board listened early enough

The 11 players that started tonight we're all available to gio,but I don't think he manages to get a display like that out of them.
I can see us going on another long unbeaten streak under beale

Challenging??? F.uck your challenging!!

We go into next season to win the thing. Rangers should always aim for the stars.
Poor wording admittedly. What I meant was I can’t see us being out a title race by Christmas like this season!

I said this months ago it was clear Gio was going to end in tears but my worry was we were going to sack him too late when the gap was too big. Two big ifs but
If we sack him before st johnstone and if we don’t let in equaliser v them the league table could be looking very different and the big greaseball would be feeling the pressure

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,​

Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit​

Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,​

Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”​

To be fair it crossed my mind tonight and then swiftly looked into the 26/02/2023.

We welcome the chase

The board should've invested after we won 55 and we would've buried they bastards. We are on the way back and hopefully we've learned from previous mistakes.

Poor wording admittedly. What I meant was I can’t see us being out a title race by Christmas like this season!
We aren’t out a title race right now?

3 games and your conceding?

You should speak to some beggars, they have a fear that a couple of poor results are coming and when they do we must take that chance and see what happens

Keep believing

His last three weeks in charge, 5 games, 7 points dropped, looks likely to be the decisive period of this season. Fair enough if you want to blame the players instead, but those players are now getting praise from all and sundry.
What position did Gio play? The same players that are showing for Michael weren’t performing before he came and it’s not all Gio’s fault

The Board didn’t give him much time considering the season he had last year, they moved quickly when it became obvious he was losing the dressing room.

We also recruited a manager who’d won one in five , pretty brave of the Board to appoint such an inexperienced manager.

The fans were calling for gio to be sacked when the gap was savable. it was obvious things were at the point of no return yet we dragged our heels. Had we acted sooner we would be going for this league title. That was outstanding tonight rangers.
I completely agree. It's frustrating.

No, we stopped playing from side to side and took the game to our opponents from the first minute tonight. Hearts couldn't cope with the ball over the top. The difference is staggering. It could easily have been 8-0 Rangers.
Aye, at half time!

The frustrating thing is everyone knew Gio could not turn at around and we were going to drop points to put out of the title race before it happened.

Need to look forward, every bear had different tipping points but I think we can all be United that we are in a much better place.

Need to keep building.

We'd be in a title battle.

Even if we had beat them on the 2nd January, we'd still be in with a shot 6 behind.

9 points is probably too much, there is no margin for error and they just don't drop points. Although Michael Beale won't be giving up. We just need to keep on winning.

Was the 1 year clause not a complete and utter myth? Regardless of cost he should have been given the bullet earlier.
Not sure I ever saw anything confirmed about it but the dates suggested some kind of contractual review or breakpoint was in place.

Not sure where the line people draw is between a manager chucking it, and the players chucking it under that manager.

The fans were calling for gio to be sacked when the gap was savable. it was obvious things were at the point of no return yet we dragged our heels. Had we acted sooner we would be going for this league title. That was outstanding tonight rangers.
Things are always very simple when you are a supporter.

Nah, just that you said he should've been sacked after St Johnstone, but it was more disgraceful we waited to St Mirren.

What made it more disgraceful that we waited?

At risk of repeating myself here; the fact that we dropped a further two points at St Mirren, by virtue of the board not removing him after he lost to a shockingly bad St Johnstone team a fortnight prior, is what made it more disgraceful.

Negligence on the board's part at that time cost us another two points. Gio and the team were never getting through another away game unscathed at that point.

Can’t we have a wee bit of positivity after a fine performance rather than negative whataboutery?

There may have been something in waiting 12 months with regards to his contract, the timing was possibly right due to that and the world cup break.
The league isnt over, hard to catch but not over and we have the 2 cups.

There’s no point in just forgetting it and moving on, had they acted early as they should (many of us wanted him gone post Hibs) then the league might still be a possibility.

But ah whatever.

We've got two trophies and 2 league old firms to go. Need to lay down a marker and keep winning.

That has to be the goal.

There may have been something in waiting 12 months with regards to his contract, the timing was possibly right due to that and the world cup break.
The league isnt over, hard to catch but not over and we have the 2 cups.
Cant be having too much positivity on the board after a great performance. It needs tempered with a wee does of negativity.

The board are never in a rush to do anything. We should've really got rid of Gio after Parkhead but getting into CL probably gave him more credit in the bank. We would be in a title race right now but nothing we can do now but keep winning.

Think we've got the right man in the job though which is encouraging for next season and beyond.

Had this discussion last night. We should have got the sharks out:))

Also makes me mad that managers just don't seem to know when to walk away.

I’m still confident we can keep the pressure on them til the end, I think they’ll drop points in at least 1 of their away games in the split, and if another team can help us out between now and the split it’s back in our hands

I’m still confident we can keep the pressure on them til the end, I think they’ll drop points in at least 1 of their away games in the split, and if another team can help us out between now and the split it’s back in our hands
It only takes one slip and its back on. They've had a couple of decent scorelines but their overall play is poor and repetitive, St Johnstone away is a potential banana skin for them. If its down to six points I think we'd have a great chance of winning the two remaining OF games then its just goal difference. Hopeful but not impossible.

Think there was a financial reason for us not doing it sooner. I'm sure he was sacked a year to the day he arrived.

If the board listened to us every time we wanted a manager sacked or a player punted we'd probably never win anything.
Exactly. In hindsight on this occasion yeah probably would have been for the best with Gio but what about Gerrard post xmas pre covid- lots calling for his head, if the board listened we wouldn’t have 55. Plus Gio did get to a euro final and won the Scottish cup so did deserve at least a chance to turn it around.

The frustrating thing is this isn't a large period we are talking about. He goes after the end of a horrific CL group and we likely beat St Johnstone/St Mirren and the gap is only 4 points. The rest of the league is guff this season so we should have a very similar points total to them. Off days happen, but are extremely rare now given the quality in the league.

Gio’s final months was like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Only ones who couldn’t see it was our board. They dithered and although I’m thankful they eventually acted…. It appears too late for this season!

What might’ve been if they never fännied about…… :confused:

Don’t speak ill of the board on here though. Lapdogs will give you a clip on the lug.
Plenty on here were still sticking up for GVB right until the end. Said from the start it was a dreadful appointment and that’s exactly how it turned out.

Repeatedly said this after Celtic and Ajax debacle that the season was still salvageable if we got rid. We were never going to do it that early unfortunately, but even before the Perth and Paisley results.

Had we acted earlier on Gio would Beale have been ready to step up? I think we maybe got Beale at the earliest point we could.

We aren’t out a title race right now?

3 games and your conceding?

You should speak to some beggars, they have a fear that a couple of poor results are coming and when they do we must take that chance and see what happens

Keep believing
There’s realistically little chance of the title, we are effectively 10 points behind, the filth have dropped 5 points from 72 available, there isn’t an earthly they are then dropping 10 from 42. They have a piss easy run until they play us at Parkhead.

The cups and beating them is what it’s all about this season, then start again next season.

I wanted Gio sacked after Ross County 3-3 but then he won the Scottish Cup and got us to European Final but even that I wasn't convinced in him. I felt a big part of both journeys were us as fans creating unbelievable atmospheres and their love of Jimmy Bell pushed them on to do it for him. I don't think he or his coaching staff were integral to us doing those two things. It was clear from the start of the season it wasn't working, the players were not committed, the signings were not settling, the setup was horrible.

In hindsight he was the wrong choice but we are were we are. Our board need to learn lessons from that.

Beale has won 6 out of 6 away from home domestically.

Gio had 3 from 7! His away record this season and last was pathetic and he should never have been in the job as long as he was.

This seasons was completely written off by keeping him in the job so long.

Not just the record but manner of performance.

Turgid pish, I see that he tried to control games by retaining possession with defenders but it was like we forgot to attack with purpose.

Must be a coaching Dutch thing as Holland were like it v argies even at 2 down were dillydallying around

The frustrating thing is everyone knew Gio could not turn at around and we were going to drop points to put out of the title race before it happened.

Be interesting to hear players views, I know they can’t really slate him but if they could get across that training intensity, ideas to suit players rather than rigid formation (for eg)

Last nights team was a team Gio has probably sent out a few times

Nothing wrong with a board that shows a bit of loyalty to a manager. You can absolutely argue that maybe they kept GVB too long but I'd prefer that over the opposite.

GVB had just taken us to a European final and won the Scottish Cup. I can understand why the board tries to give him some time. Unfortunately for us, it's probably cost us the league.

Hopefully they show the same loyalty and backing to Beale.

Some of the fans couldn’t see it either, it’s frustrating when people were saying to give him more tine. When the manager looses the dressing room there’s only 2 options available, change the manager or change a lot of players, option 2 isn’t realistic in almost any situation so the manager usually always has to go.

i can accept sometimes we wont win, what I can’t accept is players being second To every ball, runners not getting tracked, that’s nothing to do with ability, when the effort isn’t there the manager has to go, regardless of what he’s achieved, there is absolutely no loyalty in football, if any of our players or staff had a option to leave that was good for them, then there going, so we shouldn’t feel the need to give loyalty back.

I agree but now at least Beale has somewhat of a "free hit" in the league until May. If we have a squad playing good football ready to start next season then, all things considered, we've gained something from an otherwise poor season.

Throw in a couple of cups and it'll be a very successful start for MB.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to a request that the board should just act on our every whim. If you read enough of the views on the board, players, coaches, managers and anyone else, they are either sugar or shite, nothing in between. It would be chaos.

Plenty on here were still sticking up for GVB right until the end. Said from the start it was a dreadful appointment and that’s exactly how it turned out.

I also wasn’t keen from the very start. Although admittedly most rangers fans were keen.

I just thought if he wasn’t an ex-player who was unemployed - he likely wouldn’t have even been on our radar. That alone prob says that he shouldn’t have got the job.

Ok, people could say its similar in that Gerrard had nothing to suggest he was the right man either. However, our starting point from appointing Gerrard to appointing Gio was miles apart and not comparable. It’s not a reflective gamble.

Prior to Gerrard:
a third place finish in the SPFL the prior season (?) and only one embarrassing european game in god knows how many years…… that’s the mess Gerrard arrived into.

Starting position for Gio:
league champions (albeit not hitting the heights as we did the season before), but still 4 points clear in the league, and we were getting to the latter stages of the Europa league season after season….. that’s what Gio arrived in to

Beale came in at a good time. Had he come in a few weeks earlier, with the injury crisis at its peak and not having the WC break to work with the players, things may have been very different. With the benefit of the break, getting a few players back from injury he got off to a solid, if unspectacular, start and now with a couple of new additions, we can hopefully kick on. Last night was excellent. No point in thinking what might have been, because it just as easily might not have been.

Back