Neil McCann

Jogbear

Following on from his comments on sportsound last night

Can see alot of backlash online suggesting he shouldnt do RTV again after that (which i personally agree with) and now an article has appeared online where he brings hearts and neil lennon into to try and get out of his comments.
Thoughts?

CUT IT OUT

Neil McCann fears Neil Lennon Celtic repeat as Rangers hero wins support for Alfredo Morelos ‘idiot’ take vs Hearts​

NEIL McCANN has urged Alfredo Morelos to show a bit of class and stop needlessly antagonising opposition supporters - before something untoward happens.

The Rangers hero was forthright in his opinions after Morelos slid to his knees in front of fuming Jambos fans after both his goals during the Ibrox side's 3-0 win at Tynecastle.

The second of these came after a lengthy VAR check - when it was thought that the Colombian's 'goal' had been disallowed for offside - like three OTHER Gers efforts on the night.

But the goal was duly given, leading McCann to brand the star an 'idiot' for celebrating in front of the opposing fans during the 3-0 away win.

Asked to clarify his comments after the match, McCann drew the comparison of the night then Celtic boss Neil Lennon found himself attacked by a pitch invader from the Hearts end during a clash at Tynecastle back in 2011.

The fan was jailed for eight months for a breach of the peace at the match and handed a five-year football banning order.

McCann said he wished that referee John Beaton had BOOKED Morelos on the first occasion - as it would have nipped his behaviour in the bud.

McCann told BBC Sportsound: "I don't know why he does it, I know he's the pantomime villain.

"But he reacted when he scored the first one, a really good header, textbook, going towards the back post, super cross from Barisic and a bullet header.

"Then he goes to that little corner, and I've said how good this ground is, how close the fans are, he goes to his knees and antagonises them. I said at the time I didn't like it.

"The second one because we're waiting so long, I'm thinking he has no reason [to do it again], he's not wheeling away from a backward header.

"He has no reason other than to antagonise the Hearts fans again. It's right into the corner of the section.

"He is running AWAY from his own fans.

"I have seen him do that at Fir Park, if you remember away back, when he picked up his second yellow and got sent off.

"I just don't know what goes through the boys' head.

"And I don't like it, I was maybe strong in my comments, maybe I shouldn't have said that [called him an idiot]."

At this point, he got support from Aberdeen and Scotland hero Willie Miller, who pointed to similar antics during the 3-2 come-from-behind win at Pittodrie recently.

He said: "Neil, you should have.

"He did it at Pittodrie too, Arfield scored the goal, and Arfield goes into the ball to get the ball, he takes the ball before Arfield gets it.

"Arfield burrows away and goes to celebrate with his team-mates and Morelos is winding up the Aberdeen fans in the Richard Donald stand."

McCann added: "We have been in football grounds and watched games when we've been castigating fans for throwing things onto the pitch.

"Rightly so they should never take place but if you are going to that area ...

"I remember in that Motherwell game I think there were lighters and everything thrown at him.

"It just boiled over and fans just lost control. There is NO excuse for it, it shouldn't still happen.

"But all it takes is a headcase at the side of the pitch to decide 'I've had enough of it'.

"You will remember Celtic here when the fan jumped the dugout and attacked Neil Lennon, all it takes is one fan to think 'I've had enough of that' and he's on then pitch and we've got a horror story.

"I would encourage him [Morelos] that you can have a bit of banter, a bit of to and fro with the fans, but don't run past your own fans to celebrate on your knees to the away support.

"It is inflammatory and totally uncalled for and I actually think John Beaton should have cautioned him, then that puts a lid on it.

"Then Barisic kicks the ball into the fans and gets cautioned for it

"There was a bit of an atmosphere between the fans and the Rangers players tonight and they didn't need to do it because I thought they were streets ahead on the pitch.

I partly agree with him, Alfredo is (wrongly) singled out for harsher treatment by referee's. He's previously been booked and IIRC sent off against Motherwell for celebrating in front of the home fans.
I love Alfredo's knee slide to them, especially after the stick he gets, but he does always run the risk of being cautioned for it by overly critical officials.

Don’t think we’re allowed to criticise him in spite of his unnecessary dig at Morelos.

seems that way no idea why.

its a talking point people should be able to discuss the language and manner it was said was not the way it should have been done.

But it's ok for Morelos to be continually verbally abused wherever he goes throughout a match ?

Just like it was ok to call Kris Boys a sad Orange b*stard because he liked that sort of thing according to Andy Walker ??

Only thing happening here is that McCann has just highlighted to every official to keep an eye on Alfie after every goal. Watch his yellow card count go up now.

Morelos ever since he signed for Rangers has been getting vile abuse in practically every ground. He has every single right to celebrate. I say that as someone who believes it's best to look for a replacement in the summer. Neil McCann is a f@#£&#g disgrace here.

seems that way no idea why.

its a talking point people should be able to discuss the language and manner it was said was not the way it should have been done.
Someone else said he must be a “friend of the show”.

Either way he deserves some criticism, it actually bothers me for the sole reason that I’ve always really respected McCann as a pundit.

Alfredo was being called a fat bastard by the same fans because they thought his goal was offside, when it was given he gave a bit back.

I'm sorry but McCann has been an out and out arsehole here, playing to the gallery, and I hope we don't employ him again.

It's bad enough when everyone else is attacking Morelos, but even worse when it's someone who is supposed to be on our side, McCann is the idiot.

Back