Big Joe Aribo

I loved the big man.

Reminds me a bit of Jorg Albertz, could be largely anonymous and lazy but capable of a moment of brilliance.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, hope he can kick start his career sooner rather than later.

Is it a case of him, like Gerrard dropping the panties for the first offer from the EPL, without a second glance, and it turns to shit fairly quickly thereafter?
Or it might be that he isn't quite good enough for the step up.

I love Aribo but I was always sceptical that Southampton was a good move for him.

As good as Aribo is, I’ve never really felt that he held down one position and made it his own during his time with us.

Suddenly that £6m fee, £4m of add ons and % sell on doesn’t look such a good deal for us.

Those of us which criticised it at the time were rounded on claiming the deal we got would be more for us rather than demanding the £10m release clause upfront.

£6m for one of our better players off the back of a EL final run where he scored in the final is horrendous

Suddenly that £6m fee, £4m of add ons and % sell on doesn’t look such a good deal for us.

Those of us which criticised it at the time were rounded on claiming the deal we got would be more for us rather than demanding the £10m release clause upfront.

£6m for one of our better players off the back of a EL final run where he scored in the final is horrendous
I certainly criticised it at the time. Totally agree with your post.

I certainly criticised it at the time. Totally agree with your post.

I don’t really understand the criticism.

I’m pretty sure if we could’ve got £10million up front then we’d have taken it. The truth is that we didn’t get an offer of that level and the Southampton offer was the best one on the table.

Considering the guy only had 12 months to go on his contract, it wasn’t a terrible deal for us.

I agree that I’d have liked a bit more but I’m sure if someone was offering more then we’d have taken it.

Loved Aribo, didn’t realise just how good he was until he left. Feels like Southampton just isn’t the right fit for him, Crystal Palace like others have mentioned would have been a good move

Sadly another perfect example of "the grass is always greener"
How many times have you heard of ex-players that left us saying that they didn't fully realise what they had here until they were gone?
I wish the big guy all the very best in his future career but he really could have been a Legend at Rangers if he wasn't dazzled by the money on offer in the EPL.
Aye .. pretty green

In my opinion (my opinion) he was one of the most over rated players we've had in a long time and the most one footed player possibly since David Cooper. Had a hunch he would disappear without trace when he left us, the standard of the SPL made him look better than he really is. Again just my opinion. Tillman is a far better replacement

Relegation and sold to a German team for peanuts awaits. Big man committed career suicidal moving to a team like Southampton that has been in decline for years.

I don’t really understand the criticism.

I’m pretty sure if we could’ve got £10million up front then we’d have taken it. The truth is that we didn’t get an offer of that level and the Southampton offer was the best one on the table.

Considering the guy only had 12 months to go on his contract, it wasn’t a terrible deal for us.

I agree that I’d have liked a bit more but I’m sure if someone was offering more then we’d have taken it.

Exactly. £6m upfront was obviously the best deal that was on offer. Tillman is a better player than Aribo and might cost less than that to sign permanently if the rumors are true.

There were a lot of games he didn't put much effort in, especially after coming back from AFCON. A bit like Kamara, both good players when they can be bothered.

Yes he scored in the final, but near the end of his time here there were a lot of games where he played like he had lost interest.

Loved many of his performances up here, but not consistent enough to be a top player in England. Over the moon to get the money we did for him. Wish him all the best.

More superb business from the fraud.

He won't be the first player to depart and regret leaving at the first opportunity and I bet my bottom dollar he won't be the last, for footballing reasons the move didn't make sense really other than his plan was to use Southampton as a stepping stone, his bank balance will have swelled enormously however Joe will want to be playing football. He's good enough for that level no doubt about it, he started very well initially but seemed to fall off the radar pretty rapid, can see a loan move looming in the summer hopefully to a league that suits him with a manager who has that trust in him. Our current crop of young talent should use this example of how difficult career moves can be unless they are money motivated, I don't believe Joe Aribo moved for money, he always stated his dream was to play in the EPL, sadly he made the wrong choice at the wrong time.

Amazing the hindsight loads on here have who knew it wasn't going to work out for him.

Southampton were a stable EPL team, who generally at least tried to play football. I thought of all the teams in England he could go to Southampton were one of the ones that made most sense. Hasn't worked out yet, but still think he has the abillity to be a starter at that level. Hopefully for us he turns it round

Back